Languages

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

kurowolfe

Re: Languages

Post by kurowolfe »

Hehe, thank you for the clarification. I actually understand the meanings of 'a couple', 'a few' and 'some' just like how Obbl explained them, but most people and publications that I have come across believed that 'a couple' means exactly two, like Sleet and Dissension here. I'll keep these things in mind whenever I come across these quantifiers again.
ShadowLightning wrote:Yes, I speak Filipino. Tagalog is just like a deeper version of Filipino. Which is harder and more difficult to understand.
Ah, I see. I always thought that they are the same. Thanks for the explanation. :D

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

My native language is Italian, I know it very well with a wide knowledge of grammar and terms, but sometimes I blame myself to don't know it in the best way. For me the Italian language is the perfection made language.
Second language is English, I've always learned it and I would say that my level is higher than what's usually teached at school here; I'm better in written English and good in talked one, which I use everyday, instead for most of the times I don't succeed to understand the one spoken by those who have it as native language.
I know some terms and few phrases in French, Spanish and Portuguese. I've got to follow some lesson about Japanese and its Kana. I'm pretty attracted by East European languages, in particular Polish one.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Thanks to Cesco to bring this thread on top. Haven't seen it before.

My mother tongue is german. In school I needed to learn english, but was never good at it. Maybe the teacher I had wasn't innocent because he was an idiot - at least in my thoughts. Then during my studies I was in England for one semester and learned a lot because it was forced to use the language. Afterwards I was working in a shipping company and also used english a lot. But three years ago I left that company and there are only two possibilities left to practice my english. The first is to watch movies and TV series in english and second is the internet. Joining this forums early this year is also helping to practice, at least reading and writing. Thanks for that.

I also learned Latin in school, but there isn't much left. And also that little Russian I learned during my studies is about to die out completely. Some words and a few letters are left. I also had some lessons in Dutch which I also had contact with in the shipping company. When Dutch is spoken slowly, I think that I can understand much of it.
My ex-colleague (native French) taught me some French words, but that's all.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Karl

Post by Karl »

My native language is Polish. I was born in Poland and I live in this country ever since. Thanks to that I know this language quite well. But like a lot of people say, both Poles and those who met our language, Polish language is very hard in learning and usage. Polish belongs to slavic languages group.
Speech and writing are pretty hard because of accenting spoken words and complicated alphabet. Also Polish has quite of terms and tenses.
First thing that is important in Polish is the alphabet (abecadło), which is based on latin but differs from other alphabets with letters as:
- dash (ć, ń, ó, ś, ź)
- overdot (ż)
- tail (ą, ę)
- stroke (ł)
With total 32 letters. But there are also two group of letters which support wording:
- digraph (ch, cz, dz, dź, dż, rz, sz)
- trigraph (dzi)
Letters q, x, v are left out of the alphabet as thery are not used in native words. However, they do appear when it's necessary when it comes to foreign word.
Whoever would like to learn Polish, he must study alphabed hard, as accenting letters properly is really important to make the spoken word understandable.
Also some letters appear to be the same in sound, like:
u = ó (u with dash) ex. bap - bułka, shelf - półka
ch = h
ż = rz
So if those letters are exactly the same in sound, wouldn't it be simplier if there was just u? Since ó sounds actually like u, why there's ó in the first place? Well, truth be told, no one actually knows! Answer on that is long and lost forgotten! Even most of Poles keep asking themselves daily. Some people say that letters like ó or ch should be getting rid of, and leaving just u and h would make our lives easier. Some defend those letters, telling that they provide originality to our language.
To know when to use u or ó in writing, all you need to do is to remember how each word in Polish is written. Usage of those letters does not depend from some rules. Mostly.
Polish grammar depends from Noun, Verb, Adjective, Numeral, Pronoun, Adverb, Preposition, Interjection, Particle, Conjunction. First five belong to changeable group. Rest is unchangeable.
I will leave that for now. There's lost and lots of details which cause mess ;) And I suck when it comes to do this in English.
Polish can be mainly hear in Poland. Other places where this language can be heard often is where there's a large aggregation of polish emigrants, like Germany, France, Great Britain, Canada and USA.
It is possible for foreigners to learn Polish, although it's just recently when publishing houses provide teaching books and education for foreigners is still poor. Right now it is possible to reach rank up to C2. But it requires a lot of energy to learn it. Those who are interested in linguistics should find Polish intriguing, especially because of literature.
Cesco wrote:I'm pretty attracted by East European languages, in particular Polish one.
I can help you out with some things if you want. Just let me know.
I'm a bookworm!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jeez, Polish is crazy!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

I know English (first language), British English, Old English, Spanish (don't speak it but can read and understand it), and some Japanese from the video games I play.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wait, you can speak Old English? Wow.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I knew of how hard Slavic languages are, but I didn't know about this insane fact about the Polish language, it's an avoidable complication... :? I've got to look at some texts and websites in Polish language for years, and effectively, I've never seen at least the "Q" letter used in the words.
Karlos wrote:
Cesco wrote:I'm pretty attracted by East European languages, in particular Polish one.
I can help you out with some things if you want. Just let me know.
I haven't intention to learn another language for now, but nice propose, thanks. ;) I've a curiosity to unleash about a name, and I think that's better ask it directly to a Polish person: how come "Italy" in Polish language becomes "Włochy"? It's totally different to don't seem so!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Megamaster wrote:...Old English...
That's incredible. I only met Old English when reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. It was interesting to see it, but it took me some time to get used to it and start to understand what each character meant. But what Mark Twain put into his novel was just a portion. The book I purched had also an original letter written by Bishop of Worcester Hugh Latimer to Lord Cromwell, which he send on the day when Prince of Wales was born. And this was one of the hardest things for me to read.
You have my respect.
Cesco wrote:I knew of how hard Slavic languages are, but I didn't know about this insane fact about the Polish language, it's an avoidable complication... I've got to look at some texts and websites in Polish language for years, and effectively, I've never seen at least the "Q" letter used in the words.
When Polish was being brought to literature between XVI and XVII century, Polish still was basing on Latin aplhabet, as before those cultural reforms, poems, manuscripts and book were mostly being write in Latin (there were excuses, though). So letters like x or v were used in Old Polish. However, in time this changed, as letter x got replaced by digraph ks, while v had to step aside to letter w.
Cesco wrote:how come "Italy" in Polish language becomes "Włochy"? It's totally different to don't seem so!
Yes, it is true, and a lot of people in Poland ask themselves the same question, as word Włochy is actually inadequate, and Italia should be used instead.
Etymology of term Włochy reaches to pre-slavian language which was spoken by ancient Slavs. When they encountered any of those who had a Roman ancestry, or people who lived on former Roman teritory, to describe them overally, they called them volxъ - "a person of Roman origin."
Term volxъ is probably borrowed from Germanics, who called Romans walxa, walh (Romanus, Roman, alien).
Walh was also used by Germanics to describe a celtic tribe called Volcae.
As Slavs divided and slavic languages began to form, volxъ evolved in each. In Polish, it turned into Włosi. Today, we use this term to describe poeple who live on Apennine Peninsula. So we call Italians Włosi, while Italy - Włochy.
I know there was once a moment when there were literature attempts to bring back Italia into usage, but term Włochy became too common and it never happened.
Some people think that Włochy comes from włosy, which translated to English means hair, and Italians being called Włosi is because they either have lush hair, or they're just being hairy people. That is untrue, of course ;)
And that's whole mystery hidden behind term Włochy. Thank you for asking me this, I had a lot of fun and I could perform some brain activity for myself.
Last edited by Karl on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bookworm!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Karlos wrote:That's incredible. I only met Old English when reading The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain. It was interesting to see it, but it took me some time to get used to it and start to understand what each character meant. But what Mark Twain put into his novel was just a portion. The book I purched had also an original letter written by Bishop of Worcester Hugh Latimer to Lord Cromwell, which he send on the day when Prince of Wales was born. And this was one of the hardest things for me to read.
You have my respect.
Why thank you. To be honest, I only know it cause I was exposed to it at young age. My dad tended to have video games were they spoke in it and I naturally picked it up. Plus all the poetry and stuff I had read in school was another factor. If anything I need to stop being lazy and learn more Japanese so I can understand what happens in all the games I play.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm pretty sure what you were exposed to was not Old English.

Here is the first line of Beowulf, written in Old English:
Beowulf wrote:Hwæt! wē Gār-Dena in ġeār-dagum, þēod-cyninga, þrym ġefrūnon, hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

And here's the first stanza of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English, just so we get that out of the way:
Chaucer wrote:Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Thank you for the great and interesting answers, Karlos. ;) Modern languages are mostly based on their ancient versions, known fact.
Karlos wrote:Some people think that Włochy comes from włosy, which translated to English means hair, and Italians being called Włosi is because they either have lush hair, or they're just being hairy people. That is untrue, of course ;)
Obviously, I wouldn't believe of a such thing. Here exists premature balding, too... :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sleet wrote:I'm pretty sure what you were exposed to was not Old English.

Here is the first line of Beowulf, written in Old English:
Beowulf wrote:Hwæt! wē Gār-Dena in ġeār-dagum, þēod-cyninga, þrym ġefrūnon, hū ðā æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Obbl wrote:And here's the first stanza of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English, just so we get that out of the way:
Chaucer wrote:Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour
Ah... now I understand. Thank you for clearing this up for me, now I understand my mistake. And I ask for forgiveness, my knowledge in this is shallow.
I'm a bookworm!
Eemi

Post by Eemi »

My native language is Finnish. I've studied English, French and some Swedish at school and now I'm trying to learn some Italian.
My avatar was drawn by my awesome friend tttiitu. http://tttiitu.deviantart.com/
zero

Post by zero »

Cesco wrote:I knew of how hard Slavic languages are, but I didn't know about this insane fact about the Polish language, it's an avoidable complication... :? I've got to look at some texts and websites in Polish language for years, and effectively, I've never seen at least the "Q" letter used in the words.
if you think polish is hard you should try learning slovenian/slovene. not even a mayor of a major slovenian city who is originally from africa can speak the language correctly after living here for 25+years

here is an example what foreigners learning slovenian think about the language:
Learning Slovene is a long, hard road into Hell. And it’s made worse by the fact that Slovenes rarely appreciate how difficult it is. They’ll tell you things like: “Yeah, it’s hard, huh? Pronouncing the ž and �? and everything. That’s tough.”

No, no, my friend, saying “ch” is the least of my problems. I’ll tell you what’s tough: six cases, endless gender declensions, formal and informal divisions, the dual grammatical form — all of it spoken in 32 dialects that are further divided into 76 sub-groups. That’s my definition of tough.

Well, let me give you an idea. Imagine that you want to ask someone if they’ve eaten something for lunch. In English, the phrase:

Did you eat anything?

pretty much covers every imaginable scenario. You can say that to a woman, to a man, to your pet hamster, to your boss, to a group of circus clowns, etc…

In a language like German (usually considered difficult to learn) you have three possibilities to express the same idea. You would say:

1. Hast du was gegessen? (informal)
2. Haben Sie was gegessen? (formal)
3. Habt ihr was gegessen? (plural)

In other words, German requires triple the possiblities to express the same idea. But note that the verb “to eat” (gegessen) remains the same in all three cases. Now let’s take a look at Slovene, in which everything changes depending on the number of people you’re asking, as well as their gender AND if you’re using formal or not. Behold the possibilities: (Many thanks to Blaž and Bojan for their help with this list!)

1. Si kaj jedel? (one male, informal)
2. Si kaj jedla? (one female, informal)
3. Si kaj jedlo? (neuter form, informal)
4. Sta kaj jedla? (two males, informal or formal)
5. Sta kaj jedli? (two females, informal or formal)
6. Sta kaj jedla? (one male and one female, informal or formal)
7. Ste kaj jedli? (plural, as long as at least one male is present)
8. Ste kaj jedle? (plural, females only)
9. Ste kaj jedla? (plural, neuter form)
10. Ste kaj jedli? (formal, singular form, gender unimportant)

That’s decuple the possibilities of the original English phrase. To be fair, sometimes things work in favor of Slovene. For example, J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Two Towers can be expressed by a single word: Stolpa. But basically, all words (nouns/verbs/adjectives) conjugate in a hellish variety of possibilities, making the language a very tough nut to crack.

True. But not all Slavic languages have the brain-busting dual case, which is the real killer. In fact, none of them do — except for the nearly-extinct Sorbian.
Crux

Post by Crux »

My mother tongue is Filipino (Cebuano), though I feel more confident in speaking in English.
I also know a bit of Chinese (I'm half filipino, and half chinese).

Always wanted to learn italian or latin though.
Despite What You've been told... I once had a soul.
Left somewhere behind...
~~Avatar by MrAxolatte~!!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

For consideration if you are still deciding on what your second language should be.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:{-map-}
For consideration if you are still deciding on what your second language should be.
What a interesting and funny map. And I always thought that Tatar was something to eat. :P

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Interesting map. Sicilian? I thought it was Neapolitan, but I'm happy with that too. ;) LOL, Render. :P

Thanks for that example, Zero. Actually, that's just insane... In Italian is like in German, three expression forms without gender distinctions.
VEB152
Location: Land of vowels with dashes and consonants with commas

Post by VEB152 »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:For consideration if you are still deciding on what your second language should be.
Oh well, looks like English was pretty useless then :lol:
Also, it's kinda fun seeing Irish being a minority language in Ireland, and Belarussian in Belarus.
P.S. What do shades of colours mean? Russian, German, Turkish, French, all have slightly different shades in different countries...
Yes, that is about the best thing to write that I could think of.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm surprised English isn't any of them! Especially Sweden, the most English-speaking country in the world aside from primarily anglophonic countries.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The map refers to languages spoken by minority groups, not most commonly-spoken languages.
Wikipedia wrote:For the purposes of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages:

"regional or minority languages" means languages that are:

traditionally used within a given territory of a State by nationals of that State who form a group numerically smaller than the rest of the State's population; and
different from the official language(s) of that State

In most European countries the minority languages are defined by legislation or constitutional documents and afforded some form of official support. In 1992, Council of Europe adopted European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages to protect and promote historical regional and minority languages in Europe.

The signatories that have not yet ratified it as of 2012 are Azerbaijan, France, Ireland (since Irish is the first official language and there are no other minority languages), Iceland, Italy (which has a history of violations of the minority rights in case of the Slovene minority during Fascist Italianization), Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, and Russia.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Radio Blue Heart

Here's another map. Its not as useful, but it gives you a basic staring point to European languages.

-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There goes Finland, being all weird.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Sleet wrote:There goes Finland, being all weird.
As you maybe know, they own about 66% of all vowels in the world, so they have to use them wherever they can. :lol:

Image Image
ImageImageImage
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Just a thought, if English was not the primary lingua franca of the world, how would the average English, American and Canadian be in this world? Would the world be dramatically changed?

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

Swedish is my native language.

English is taught from 1st grade in all Swedish schools.

I can make out bits and pieces of German.

Although I don't understand the languages, I have a natural talent for pronounciating German, Spanish and Japanese words.

Non spoken languages:
C++, PHP, JavaScript, HTML/CSS
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Recently, I browsed through this large encyclopedia listing the world's languages, and I read through some entries of some languages that Rick had used in the comics, like Akkadian and Mapudungu. Rather interesting I might say. Also read a bit on Esperanto, Ainu and Catalan.

Though I must say, linguist jargon is hard to understand! Like accusatory, the VSO thingy etc etc. =w=

deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Ew languages. I've been diagnosed with a mild form of a learning disability for languages, so even though I've been exposed to English all my life I'm actually quite bad at it.

I also speak Mandarin and Cantonese, which I've kinda picked up from a neighbor at a young age. Can't read or write though.
swedishWolf wrote:C++, PHP, JavaScript, HTML/CSS
Ugh. I tried coding once. Once.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

So did I, I made a clock that didn't exactly work and gave up after that.
My primary spoken language is screaming. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

My prime language is English, but I also know Japanese, and some Thai.
Radio Blue Heart

Here is some very basic, easy to remember Japanese words:

kore = this
sore = that
dore = which

koko = here
soko = there
doko = where

koitsu = this person
soitsu = that person
doitsu = Germany
-Virgil
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

:lol: I hadn't thought about that :lol:

Update from my last post:
I have become a little better at Spanish, and lots better at Japanese :D
English is still my first language
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

kurowolfe wrote:Recently, I browsed through this large encyclopedia listing the world's languages, and I read through some entries of some languages that Rick had used in the comics, like Akkadian and Mapudungu. Rather interesting I might say. Also read a bit on Esperanto, Ainu and Catalan.

Though I must say, linguist jargon is hard to understand! Like accusatory, the VSO thingy etc etc. =w=
Catalan is kinda interesting. "Spanish" actually referring to multiple languages.

Galego is the devil though.
Spawtzi

Post by Spawtzi »

Well, English of course, and I'm learning to speak German. Fun stuff
Rainbow
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Have anyone heard or tried learning the Hymmnos language? It's a made-up language system for the Ar Tonelico game series, and it uses English as a base and added influences from German, Sanskrit, Japanese and common programming languages like C, and then uses the constructed sentences as executables in a song/hymn-like form. Apparently the language gives emphasis on the singer's emotions and intentions, with focus on adjectives/

Here are some sample sentences:
exp 1.JPG
exp 1.JPG (48.21 KiB) Viewed 16264 times
exp 2.JPG
exp 2.JPG (79.82 KiB) Viewed 16264 times
I did try to learn a little bit of the language before, but there were other more pressing matters, so I dropped it =w=

Deske

Post by Deske »

That reminds me of the time I tried to learn Circular Gallifreyan.
herobrineharry

Where do you live? What do you speak?

Post by herobrineharry »

What the title says.
I'll start
USA
English
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Deske

Re: Where do you live? What do you speak?

Post by Deske »

The Midwest, USA
English and bit of German that I learned in school