Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

ElementalHero

Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

Post by ElementalHero »

Has anybody tried watching this show?

This is an American adaptation of a Japanese superhero show Kamen Rider Ryuki just like how Power Rangers is an US adaptation of the Super Sentai franchise.

Here's the story so far, the show revolves around a group of twelve called the Kamen Riders, who are the protectors of Ventara, a mirror world opposite to our own. In battle against the wicked General Xaviax, the Riders were defeated and ten of them were stripped of their Advent Decks, special card decks that allow whoever wields them to transform into Kamen Riders and utilize unique weapons and powers. While searching for his missing father, Kit Taylor finds an Advent Deck that allows him to become Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. He eventually meets Len, who serves as Kamen Rider Wing Knight, and the pair join forces after Kit learns that General Xaviax has imprisoned his father in Ventara and is using him and the other humans that his monsters abduct to gain power and rebuild his homeworld. Furthermore, Xaviax begins using his shape-shifting powers to recruit corrupt humans to become Kamen Riders and aid him in his goal by destroying the Kamen Riders interfering in it.

It may looks like a Power Ranger ripoff but actually, it's aimed to a higher demograph of kids than Power Rangers, because it doesn't hold it's punches as much (literally and figuratively), the actors take situations more seriously, the script isn't filled with a bunch of wise-cracking jokes, although they use the usual words for a show of it's demographic like heck.

Also Kamen Rider is a franchise that originated in Japan since the early 70s and was originally created by the late toenail clippers Ishinomori, who also created the first 2 shows of the Sentai franchise that later shows would be used for the Power Rangers, he also created Cyborg 009, Skull Man and Kikaider and was awarded the Guinness World Record for most comics published by one author, totaling over 128,000 pages. He also created the comic adaptation of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past that was published in Nitendo Power in 1992.

The show currently airs on The CW Television Network during its The CW4Kids programming block
In The Name Of The Moon, I Will Punish Yo........ Oops! Wrong Superhero!
Sasothehyena

Re: Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

Post by Sasothehyena »

Ummm seems kinda Power-Ranger Ripp-offish to me. :?
Derp Derp
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sasothehyena wrote:Ummm seems kinda Power-Ranger Ripp-offish to me. :?
......I'm going to hurt you now (seriously j/k) [Nerd Mode On]Ok both Power Rangers and Kamen Rider are from Japan. In japan Power Rangers is known as Super Sentai and both it and Kamen Rider are were made by the same person,toenail clippers Ishinomori who also created Cyborg 009 and quite a few other famous things. Kamen Rider is older by about 4 years (Kamen Rider permiered in 1971 and Super Sentai was started in 1975) so neither are a rip off of the other. [/Nerd Mode] :ugeek:

Edit: one slight inacuracy when toenail clippers Ishinomori created the Sentai shows the first two where not know with Super in the title they were known as just Sentai (Himitsu Sentai Goranger,J.A.K.Q. Dengekita)
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

The reason someone like me might agree that it's a rip off is that they went to the same costume designers as Power Rangers. It is made by the same guy, but that doesn't mean it doesn't look like a copyposta operation.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:
Sasothehyena wrote:Ummm seems kinda Power-Ranger Ripp-offish to me. :?
......I'm going to hurt you now (seriously j/k) [Nerd Mode On]Ok both Power Rangers and Kamen Rider are from Japan. In japan Power Rangers is known as Super Sentai and both it and Kamen Rider are were made by the same person,toenail clippers Ishinomori who also created Cyborg 009 and quite a few other famous things. Kamen Rider is older by about 4 years (Kamen Rider permiered in 1971 and Super Sentai was started in 1975) so neither are a rip off of the other. [/Nerd Mode] :ugeek:

Edit: one slight inacuracy when toenail clippers Ishinomori created the Sentai shows the first two where not know with Super in the title they were known as just Sentai (Himitsu Sentai Goranger,J.A.K.Q. Dengekita)
In other words: this kind of thing is a borderline genre in Japan, and for the most part Power Rangers is the only thing to make it here. Hence, while another one is commonplace in Japan, here it seems like a ripoff. For a parallel, imagine a foreign country that has only been exposed to one popular western film (as in cowboys; I don't just mean from the West). If years later another western film gets localized, it might seem like a ripoff to them, but it's not.

That said, I still have no interest in this. I just wanted to clear stuff up.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok Sleet explained it better then I did. (but I gave more background info on it)

Also the only thing Kamen Rider related I've ever watched were the remake movies and only the first one was any good (I personally believe Kamen Rider: The First is worth watching if you know nothing about Kamen Rider) The second one sucked big time.