Pizza Pavilion -- Coming Soon: The Buses

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

yoyodude

Pizza Pavilion -- Coming Soon: The Buses

Post by yoyodude »

Since I don't have any model coaster projects that require my immediate attention right now I chose to make Pizza Pavilion!

Since I don't actually know the layout I just started with the lift and standard turning drop. Mabye if Rick has any ideas for a layout he can chip in

[Pictures removed because they are irrelevant and take up space]
It would be completly and totally awesome if Rick could give me his ideas on the layout, I'm not even sure if it should be a straight drop or not :lol: .

I may or may not be able to complete this, it depends on my schedule. For now lets just assume I will finish it ;)
Last edited by yoyodude on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tiggy

Re: Sneak Preveiw: Pizza Pavilion

Post by Tiggy »

Haha, looks totally awesome :P
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I used to have one of those sets, but I lost it D:
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Dubiousity wrote:I used to have one of those sets, but I lost it D:
Find it and I'll buy it off you ;)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

holy crap stop asking questions and build, man, build!
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

yoyodude wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:I used to have one of those sets, but I lost it D:
Find it and I'll buy it off you ;)
Trust me when I say that set's long gone.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

So after using this comic as my guide:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/08/11/one-deeper
I began looking at my options.

One thing I know for sure is that I am going to have to start over because the lift hill appears to be º45, while mine is (a more realistic) º30. I may just keep that the same because Rick drew it on an angle so it may be deceiving.

Next up is my layout options. Option 1 would be to hear from Rick, I just dont want to be all "Hey Rick could you happen to tell me about something you may or may not have actually thought about?" Who knows if he was just drawing squigglies or actually had a layout thought out.

Second option would be just to guess the layout. There are 2 more options inside this one: is it a hyper or a coaster with inversions? A hyper coaster tends to have a straight drop, airtime hills, overbanks ( http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2009/03 ... nk29_1.jpg ), and Helixes. A coaster with inversions is more likely to have the turning drop Rick drew. That's another thing I am going to have to re-build becuse mine turns º180 and his appears to turn 90 slightly towards our favorite comical duo. After this drop could be either an overbank (less intense, more simple) or if it is a more intense coaster; an Immelman ( http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/fi ... 86_130.jpg ). This would have the coaster heading towards the little part that goes over the bottom of the drop (see comic). in the less intense layout this could be just a hill or mid course brake run into the station. On the more intense version with inversions that could be a Zero G Roll ( http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/co ... 106_72.jpg ). The rest of the layout is a mystery since it goes off-panel. Prehaps I should wait until a better view appears in a later comic.

My main concern with making a more intense coaster with inversions is that I would have to make the whole thing bigger (even though I need to make it smaller) and the fact that I'm not sure our little animal friends could survive those Gs, especially Tarot, King, and the ferrets (don't think about it too much D: ).

I'm going to get building now. I'll start with a new lift and a º90 turning drop that is more like Rick's drawing. After that I'll need to decide wether or not I want it to be a coaster with inversions.

Sorry if this flew over your heads, I tried to make it as simple as possible by including pictures
yoyodude

Re: Pizza Pavilion

Post by yoyodude »

I made some more progress on the drop. I made the drop less tight and turn less so it looks a bit more like the one in the background. I could'nt get it to be 90 degrees because it looked ugly and wasnt realistic

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Cool!

Must be a pain getting all those together and what'not >.<
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

yeah, It can be a pain sometimes.

I PM'd Rick asking if he had any thoughts on the layout and he said he had nothing in mind. So here's the question: Should I keep building from what I see in the background or should I wait and see if he makes a strip that shows more detail?
Jack

Post by Jack »

dude, that thing is awesome!!! i used to have something similar, only with cars and little plastic roads that you put together, i would launch those little cards onto anything with that thing! XD
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Once it gets finished, try attaching a camera to the front of the train and getting a POV. Looks pretty righteous at the minute though, can't wait to see the finished product...
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Onlythebassist wrote:Once it gets finished, try attaching a camera to the front of the train and getting a POV.
I've had that thought on multiple occasions, I really need to get a small sportcam or something :lol:

So just for yucks I made a reference of the layout from what I can see in the comic:

Here's what we can see:

And this is what I'm guessing some of it looks like:
I stink at PhotoShop, by the way :roll:

You'll notice my drop has a flatter crest and then drops while the comic version seems to turn while it drops, mine is more realistic I beleive and it looks good so whatever whatever 8-) . I think the layout looks best with the overbank (green) (EDIT: this is an overbank http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2009/03 ... nk29_1.jpg) because it fits the style of the drop. After that the layout kinda goes haywire and I can't really interpret anything out of it, so I may just wing it.

Expect an update soon!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Don't worry too much about it, you're doing great!
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Oh wow. That is some serious knex business going on there. I want the roller coaster and the pinball ones :lol:
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

So other than interpreting the comic for layout ideas, I didn't really get a whole lot done today :roll:

I did get a bit of the overbank done though: (please note this is just a mock up to make sure it fits the layout, it looks absolutely terrible right now because it isn't done and hasn't been smoothened out.)

[Pictures removed because they are low quality and take up space]

It was a bit dark, so I may replace these pctures with better ones in the morning.

So heres a question: Do any of you care about me posting updates or would you rather I just post when it's done (or done-ish)?
Last edited by yoyodude on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

It is probably good for you to post in sections. It depends, do you want the peoples opinion on your work in progress? It seems nice of you to recreate a roller coaster for Rick. I wish you good luck.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I thnk this is what I'm going to do: When I make a coaster I make a thread on a roller coaster forum I'm part of. I post there regularly during my build since they are more experienced than the average person. I think it would make sense because I can't get any real advice on the actual construction from you guys (sorry, its true :? ) I should just post when I've finished a considerable chunk of it. That way this thread wont get stuffed with unneeded pictures.

I find it kind of odd that I decided to create a model of a coster from the background of a comic, I guess it's just something I never imagined myself doing :lol: . Thanks for the kind words so far, I can't wait to finish it! (It could take another week or more, just because I'm crazy on perfection and making it realistic, I'm probably going to re-do EVERYTHING I just built in the morning). If making art based of the comic is FanArt, and writing is FanFiction, what is this considered :lol: ?
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Busy busy! I am almost done with the overbank turn. None of you will probably notice, but I made the whole thing a tad shorter and redid everything. The drop angle is now closer to 90 degreesbut making it actually 90 looked ugly. Anyways this is what I got:

(these pictures are when it was halfway done)

Also, I have 2 options for trains. I can either do 1 train of 5 cars or 2 trains of 3 cars.

Expect more soon. The rest should be pretty simple now that all of the big stuff is out of the way!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Haha, nice! x3
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

In the first 3 pictures, it is going to go over or under the finished track?
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:In the first 3 pictures, it is going to go over or under the finished track?
Thats a good question. The comic leads me to beleive that it should go over the track. The only problem is either the exit of the overbank turn is either going to be too high up or the "pull-out" of the turn and the "pull-in" to the hill over the existing track would be too sharp. I think my best option would be to bring the turn to ground level and continue it under the track. It would go under the track and exit parallel to the lift hill. Mabye I can construct both options and just decide what works better.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This is so much neater than modeling it in Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Now, modeling the entire park in RCT...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

A thought has just occurred to me - does this project completely quarantine your living room while it is being made? From the photos, it looks like it's taking up a sizable amount of space...
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Onlythebassist wrote:A thought has just occurred to me - does this project completely quarantine your living room while it is being made? From the photos, it looks like it's taking up a sizable amount of space...
That's right :lol: . On some of my more substantial coasters the living room has been a no-go for months. Those coasters tended to be much larger, and included theming and scenery like signs, stations, lines, trees, etc. The layout of this one is very large, and I plan on doing some theming like a station, signs, etc. ((EDIT: this is an example of one of my finished coasters,though it's a bit smaller than my normal ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64h3s_oCOhA))

I'm done building for today, expect an update or two tomorrow!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Did some more building this morning before I leave:

I'm hoping to finish the actual layout soon. The rest will be theming and scenery.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Whew, nice! x3
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Looking good! Think you could factor in a loop somewhere along the line? :lol:
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Onlythebassist wrote:Looking good! Think you could factor in a loop somewhere along the line? :lol:
A loop wouldn't fit the style of the coaster I am doing. if I was to do a loop, it woud've been the very first element, followed by more inversion elements. The style I am making would be considered a Modified Hyper, since it has a turning drop. A coaster with inversions would be called a Looper. Mabye if I make this coater again I could do both styles ;)

The layout is almost complete, so expect a finished circuit soon! Next up would be a station, signs, scenery, theming, final shaping of the track, tweaking the supports, adding more purple tubing to the track, and other little details, then a video! I MAY get some rit dye and dye the green crossties red so the track is red!

Get stoked. Pizza Pavilion is almost done!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

*wants to see Pizza Pavillon in action*

GoGo Yoyo! YOU CAN DO IT! :p
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Wow, that looks great, can't wait to see it in motion.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Aw, no loop... Oh well, it's coming along nicely anyway. Perhaps a remake along with a loop is in the cards for your next project? ;)
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

I CAN HAS COMPLETE CIRCUIT?

I also reshaped the overbank turn so it has less bumps:

It goes under the piano bench:

and this is where the station will be:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Nice!

Now go put it in action! x3

(can't wait to see it! ;P)
dynaslash

Post by dynaslash »

This is a great job, but I have a question. Are you using one particular set, or multiple sets?
[04:08:26] <+Dynaslash> Schrodinger's GIANT ROBOT
[04:08:54] <+Frooxius|Busy> (for sore throat and common cold and souch)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This is like super cool.

I loved the big K'nex things they used to (and probably still do) sell. I'm not sure I ever had the roller coaster, however.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

dynaslash wrote:This is a great job, but I have a question. Are you using one particular set, or multiple sets?
Two of these: http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/200761691.jpg
and one of these: http://www.knex.com/product_image.php?imageid=655

I should have it fully functional by tomorrow. I still need to motorize the lift and the station, add brakes before the station, actually BUILD the station, etc. These are required before it is fully functional, the rest can be done after it is running, like signs, theming, etc.
dynaslash

Post by dynaslash »

Thank you for the information, yoyo. Hopefully I can save money for them.
[04:08:26] <+Dynaslash> Schrodinger's GIANT ROBOT
[04:08:54] <+Frooxius|Busy> (for sore throat and common cold and souch)
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

The scenery should be good, can't wait to see the entire project at it's finish. How long do you intend to keep it built before you dismantle it?
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Onlythebassist wrote:The scenery should be good, can't wait to see the entire project at it's finish. How long do you intend to keep it built before you dismantle it?
Yeah, theming should be fun.

I tend to keep them up for about a month before I dismantle it or start another project
dynaslash wrote:Thank you for the information, yoyo. Hopefully I can save money for them.
Unfortunately they are no longer sold. You'd have to find them on eBay, and probably pay a pretty penny for them too.