The Red Elvises - My Love Is Killing Me

(soundtrack to "Six-String Samurai")
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Re: Music.

Post by Goforit »

Punchy wrote:Stopped by the record store the other day and got a couple classics.
Donovan "Sunshine Superman"
The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are You Experienced"
Two awesome albums! I have a rerelease of "Are You Experienced" on 180g vinyl, had a shootout with my chemistry teacher's original copy (second gen), and my my... how they could mix mono back then! Was wonderful. His beat the rerelease. X3

And, completely off the topic of Hendrix, a friend showed me the album "Letters Home" by the band Defeater a few weeks ago. The album is a concept of sorts, it deals with a dysfunctional family being ripped apart by WWII, and... it does it really well, I think. It's a really heavy album both on a lyrical level and on the actual heaviness of songs, making extensive use of the genre it slotted itself into (something like "hardcore punk" or some other, didn't bother to remember). Here's a snippet, No Shame, second song. It's not the best song off of it, but it sums up the flavour of the majority of the album.
Such emotion. So raw. Wow.
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Goforit wrote:
Punchy wrote:Stopped by the record store the other day and got a couple classics.
Donovan "Sunshine Superman"
The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are You Experienced"
Two awesome albums! I have a rerelease of "Are You Experienced" on 180g vinyl, had a shootout with my chemistry teacher's original copy (second gen), and my my... how they could mix mono back then! Was wonderful. His beat the rerelease. X3
I too have that rerelease. I want to get the 200g UK mono rerelease and compare the two. I don't think I'll be hearing an early pressing any time soon, but the UK version is said to be very close to the original. That version also has the songs "Red House", "Can You See Me", and "Remember" in place of "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe", and "The Wind Cries Mary".
Panda Panda Panda
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

Punchy wrote:I too have that rerelease. I want to get the 200g UK mono rerelease and compare the two. I don't think I'll be hearing an early pressing any time soon, but the UK version is said to be very close to the original. That version also has the songs "Red House", "Can You See Me", and "Remember" in place of "Purple Haze", "Hey Joe", and "The Wind Cries Mary".
Yeah, originals are hard to come by, and if they do pop up they're always worth a pretty penny. I'm pretty sure the original I listened to was purchased sometime in the late 70s and kept for a very long time. X3

I haven't been able to listen to the UK rerelease, although I'm pretty sure I saw it in a record store around here. I don't normally buy rereleases, unless I've heard they were good (Summer Surf by Dick Dale on Sundazed being the most recent example).
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Ethereal - Fear of the Dark (Iron Maiden cover)
-Virgil
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

When three Australian DJs played with an old Neapolitan dialect song, this was the result. ;)
Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP - We No Speak Americano
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

"Vega-Tables" - The Beach Boys
"SMiLE" recording, much better than "Smiley Smile".
Goforit wrote:I don't normally buy rereleases, unless I've heard they were good (Summer Surf by Dick Dale on Sundazed being the most recent example).
Yeah, there are some bad vinyl rereleases out there (Moody Blues - "Days of Future Passed", being one I know of) so it's best to check reviews.
Cool, I haven't seen any Dick Dale at any stores I stop by. My collection could use some surf-rock...
Panda Panda Panda
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQuDu42y7g
Owl City's new song is just awesome! Really luvin' it!
Muse

Post by Muse »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEjNggZsWow
NO B S! Brass band.

Interesting fact: One brass band can generate enough energy in a half-hour performance to power a Louisiana parish for aproximately 17 hours. Regrettably, to date, no one has yet figured out exactly how to harness this energy.
Last edited by Muse on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Been listening to the Offspring's Americana a lot lately. I had it on casette back in elementary school ( not quite sure how I got my parents to buy it and let me listen to it but regardless it was an important part of my formative experience) and I used to listen to it constantly. A few of the songs don't hold up but it's a really solid album. The kids aren't all right and Americana are still great tracks to jam out to. I also rediscovered Staring at the sun which is much better than I remember.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Just now I've heard of the splittercore and extratone genres of music while listening to some gabber and schranz remixes, and I got intrigued at the 500-900BPM and over 1000BPM aspects. So I gave a few tracks a listen.

Can't say I'm a fan of them though, most tracks ended up abusing that 1000+BPM bass loop too much, making the whole track sounding like someone jackhammering into your ear. I don't exactly hate it, just that I don't find myself liking it that much. There's one semi-decent one, and again, it's a Touhou arrangement, but I will not link it here because the picture included is rather risque.

Oh and apparently my roommate is a BIG, BIG fan of deadmau5. While I think his songs are quite okay and enjoyable, being forced to listen to the same tracks over and over again (he has a speaker, and I consider it rude to use my headphones and listen to something else when he plays them. Well, that, and he keeps on rambling on how good each song is and what's their significance, so I dutifully listen to them) made me dread that guy. :?

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool hit.
Kiesza - Hideaway
kurowolfe wrote:Oh and apparently my roommate is a BIG, BIG fan of deadmau5. While I think his songs are quite okay and enjoyable, being forced to listen to the same tracks over and over again (he has a speaker, and I consider it rude to use my headphones and listen to something else when he plays them. Well, that, and he keeps on rambling on how good each song is and what's their significance, so I dutifully listen to them) made me dread that guy. :?
Great choice. 8-) Deadmau5 is one of my few favorite artists (I look more to the single tracks, no matter of the artist), but I like more his first music style rather the latest ones. The new album tracks have little rhythm and are too chilly for my tastes.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Yeah, like I said, I don't mind listening to the tracks. But being forced to listen to it even when I wanted to listen to something else made me apprehensive of listening to him anymore.

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Radio Blue Heart

Sepultura - Bullet The Blue Sky

The Olympics of heavy metal. Which Scandinavian country produces the best metal?

-Virgil
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Those are some radical insignias. :shock:

Also, there's so many heavy metal bands! And if I remember correctly, the techno and dubstep genres also stemmed from these European countries. Crazy :o

Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Panda Panda Panda
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

I really like Moonsorrow. Their cover on Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls was spectacular.
In Flames is pretty awesome too.
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Awesome track by great English producers. Love her voice and the different ways of sing the same lyrics. :D
Freemasons feat. Katherine Ellis - Tears
kurowolfe wrote:And if I remember correctly, the techno and dubstep genres also stemmed from these European countries. Crazy :o
To be correct and to include all those kind of genres, just say "EDM". ;) Speaking of Scandinavia, its concentration there's in Sweden.
Shadowstar23

Post by Shadowstar23 »

There is always a mystical adventure awaiting you. You just have to find it and take the first step into epicness.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Panda Panda Panda
Turkledurk

Post by Turkledurk »

hate to be that nerd but, I think I've listened to my recording of the Santa Clara Vanguard from 1978 about 60 times now...
Cincinnati Tradition Contrabass 2014
"Hey guys look at the" *(insert what everyone is already looking at here)*!!!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Drakengard 3 OST - Four 2nd Battle Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YW7INN7Z4
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Deske

Post by Deske »

So I'm stuck somewhere between the 60's and 90's, CCR, Jimi Hendrix,Eraserheads, Neil Diamond, and many more. Probably should go search my YouTube history.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Sepultura - Bullet The Blue Sky

The Olympics of heavy metal. Which Scandinavian country produces the best metal?

So many great bands!!! (I listen to a vast majority of these bands)

Umm... All in all, I'd have to give the prize to Finland. The band I'm in have actually covered a few Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica songs. One word to describe it? FUN
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

SergeiTheFox wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Sepultura - Bullet The Blue Sky

So many great bands!!! (I listen to a vast majority of these bands)

Umm... All in all, I'd have to give the prize to Finland. The band I'm in have actually covered a few Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica songs. One word to describe it? FUN
I'd say Finland based solely on Children of Bodom. But Sweden is a close second because Arch Enemy and Amon Amarth are insanely metal. I'm not into a ton of the Norweigian stuff (though my scandanavian metal experience is very limited so I'm sure I'm missing out on some of them) but I do like gorgoroth.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Syd Barrett's solo albums were rereleased last week.
I enjoy them and would like to get them on vinyl at some point....
I would also like it if they released a 7" with his final two Pink Floyd songs "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream".

"Dark Globe"
"Gigolo Aunt"
"Word Song"
Panda Panda Panda
Muse

Post by Muse »

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Code Orange Kids: Flowermouth
Oh my god guys. This band, these riffs, so hardcore, I can't even words....
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

and more Sonic Youth...
"Skip Tracer
"Mary-Christ"
"Sugar Kane"
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I recently picked up Total recall which has the entirety of Negative approach's discography(all 20 something minutes of it!) And it's awesome.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

-Virgil
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Iced Earth - Frankenstein