Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Ebly

Re: Music.

Post by Ebly »

Missingo wrote:M1dy - Tokyo Style Speedcore
guys we need a thumbs up smiley for this
desperately
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ToastyJester wrote:Alright after a discussion with Ebly, I've been convinced to post links to some DeVotchKa songs

[linkslinkslinks]

Okay Enjoy I guess. I can listen to these songs all day.
Well shoot, I said I'd recommend music based on how it sounds, but that's out of any league I listen to normally. I like it, but the closest I can actually think of off-hand is Paul Brill or something. Sorry man U>
ToastyJester

Post by ToastyJester »

Ebly wrote: Well shoot, I said I'd recommend music based on how it sounds, but that's out of any league I listen to normally. I like it, but the closest I can actually think of off-hand is Paul Brill or something. Sorry man U>
Don't worry still got my other bands to listen to. Recently I've been exploring more of the songs of Keane, and I have to say, Somewhere Only We Know is one of the most addicting songs I've listened to. I can't stop listening to it when I'm at the computer.

Then I've still got Coldplay too. Mmmm Coldplay.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Things i've been listening a lot to recently: Bob Crosby and the bob cats(old Jazz band from the 20's-60's),

Super Multifaros (Remember those crappy music station's on the old Pokemon games? this is that, only freaking awesome), The Vines (Rock band, what else is there to say?),

The White Strips (one of the less obscure bands i listen to),

and finally Jimi Hendrix.

what what? Jolly good time.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ToastyJester wrote:
Ebly wrote: Well shoot, I said I'd recommend music based on how it sounds, but that's out of any league I listen to normally. I like it, but the closest I can actually think of off-hand is Paul Brill or something. Sorry man U>
Don't worry still got my other bands to listen to. Recently I've been exploring more of the songs of Keane, and I have to say, Somewhere Only We Know is one of the most addicting songs I've listened to. I can't stop listening to it when I'm at the computer.

Then I've still got Coldplay too. Mmmm Coldplay.
I'm actually genuinely recommending paul brill though guy, seriously check him out

Jimmy-jazzy-facey-face://
the vines are funnyfaces <3
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Yes i like Jazz.... although i didin't get my name like that, its really from The Clash-Jimmy Jazz. (skip to 0:30 for the start of the song.)

what what? Jolly good time.
Missingo

Post by Missingo »

Ebly wrote:

i've been listening to too much speedcore lately though
i knew as soon as i was listening to a 210 bpm song and thought "**** this is slow" so U:

...And you know you've been listening to too much splittercore when you hear a speedcore song and think that :shock:
Not like has ever happened to me... or has it? :roll:

But I don't listen to many splittercore songs- just the few that I like, I just so happen to like a lot.
Kay: S4 P9 E6 C8 I7 A5 L3

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

For anyone who enjoys Punk Rock, here is a list of bands you should check out. Unless you already have.

Descendents (This band is a MUST)
Ben Weasel
Screeching Weasel
Operation Ivy
Rancid
Tim Armstrong
Lars Frederiksen & The I love you
Goldfinger
Flogging Molly (Irish Punk ftw)
Teenage Bottlerocket
Less Than Jake
Lit
The Casualties

Thats just a few. PM me if you want more.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Missingo wrote:
Ebly wrote:

i've been listening to too much speedcore lately though
i knew as soon as i was listening to a 210 bpm song and thought "**** this is slow" so U:

...And you know you've been listening to too much splittercore when you hear a speedcore song and think that :shock:
Not like has ever happened to me... or has it? :roll:

But I don't listen to many splittercore songs- just the few that I like, I just so happen to like a lot.
Hah! Yes, I've done that! I was listening to Kiranger and thinking how much better it would be if it were a few hundred BPM faster, it was really funny.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

This is a bump. :|

This is a bump to say:
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
oh my god I've fallen in love with Of Montreal
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh wow, I didn't know we have a music thread! I mainly listen to rock & metal, and by metal I mean thrash metal, of course ;). These are my favorite songs:

Ozzy Osbourne- "Bark at the Moon"
Ozzy Osbourne- "Never Know Why"
Scorpions- "Wind of Change"
Scorpions- "No One Like You"
Lynyrd Skynyrd- "Free Bird"
Extreme- "Play With Me"

These are just off the top of my head, since I just woke up.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

We actually have two, the first being one I made.
Has direct links to music, so nowadays it would break the rules. :oops:

Anyway this is the more recent one so I bumped this one instead.
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

Alex wrote:Oh wow, I didn't know we have a music thread! I mainly listen to rock & metal, and by metal I mean thrash metal, of course ;).
I'm with ya (and nice song list, though none of those are thrash songs! :p) though my metal tastes err on the power and progressive side.

Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Blind Guardian, DragonForce, Falconer, Helloween, Gamma Ray... yeah if it's been called "power metal" I probably like it.

Classic rock of all stripes as well. If it's rock and was recorded before about 1989, put it on. I was born a generation too late. XD
Alex

Post by Alex »

D.Z. wrote:I'm with ya (and nice song list, though none of those are thrash songs! :p)
Woo, another one like me :mrgreen:! Maybe none of these are thrash, but that doesn't mean I don't like thrash/don't know what thrash is.
D.Z. wrote:though my metal tastes err on the power and progressive side.

Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Blind Guardian, DragonForce, Falconer, Helloween, Gamma Ray... yeah if it's been called "power metal" I probably like it.
Yeah, I've heard of these bands of course, but I probably didn't hear more than 1 song by any of them, except Dragonforce, I own their own discography \m/.
D.Z. wrote:Classic rock of all stripes as well. If it's rock and was recorded before about 1989, put it on. I was born a generation too late. XD
Sir, you rock!
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Hey! I like metal too! :>

Old Man's Child
Dimmu Borgir
Damageplan
Pantera
Cradle Of Filth
Murderdolls
and more I can't think of atm.
Missingo

Post by Missingo »

I can't stop listening to this song
(don't worry, it's legal, it's the artist's website)

And you can download it for free if you put "0" where it says "Name your price."
But only for this album. The rest of his songs are $1.00 (USD)
Last edited by Missingo on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel
Anonymous_Pyro

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Gentlemen.
Tehman

Post by Tehman »

Missingo wrote:I can't stop listening to this song
(don't worry, it's legal, it's the artist's website)
That was pretty good....

I think this is the first time I've come across "furry" cover art.......
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Call me weird, but I like music from my favorite game series, Sonic The Hedgehog - nearly all music from all released titles, including old 16bit ones for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and even 8bit for Master System. Someones call it "beeping", but for me, it's truly art, since back then, there were no MP3s and other high quality audio formats and no hardware with plenty of computing power and yet, using simple hardware (YM2612 and SN76489 as sound chips, with Z80 as co-processor (to legendary Motorola 68000) / sound controller) were authors able to create really well sounding music. For first two games for Genesis was composing Masato Nakamura, later replaced by Jun Senoue. His music is very dynamic and it keeps playing in my head all over and over again.

Also Mega Turrican, Ristar, Eternal Champions, Decap Attack for Genesis have very good music. Also Contra Hardcorps is excellent and fast and dynamic as the whole game, also with more metal-like style. Especially track "Last Springsteen" sounds very good :-) Regarding more modern games, Gothic III soundtrack by Kai Rosenkranz is real beauty and perfect choice for relaxation thanks to its orchestral style (of course except tracks like "Fight"), Myrtana Explore is very nice.

Also music created by amateur composer (I keep telling him that he is a lot better than amateur, but he refuses, stating he still has a lot to learn to achieve skills of professional composers, but when I think about that, I'm no different) with nickname Wolfy (whole name is Ondřej "Wolfy" Pultar), who creates music on computer (he can create practically everything - from classical music to metal) and also plays in small band. Since I know him myself (he's also just about three years older than me), I have constant supply of his creations :-) Here are my favorites (it's okay, you can download them, since they're free):

SpaceEufory - first track I ever heard from him :)
4U
T.O.A
Orch - really nice! I recommend this one.
Another World - one of his most recent creations, it really sounds like another world to me :)

I've also had pleasure to work with him on several computer games (I as programmer and main designer, he as music composer (of course) and constant source of great ideas) and probably will work with him also in the future (we are preparing something called "Project Solirax"). About 1-2 years ago, we were both working under one freeware developer team on a certain game, for which he composed following tracks. They also sound nice and all of them are in metal-like style.

PsychoPath - first one he composed, for the forest level/map.
RedSahara - for the desert level (surprisingly), my favorite
Help Me! - for the winter level, my the most favorite one.
Unknown - for the dark warehouse level
Shadow - boss
Deathfall - main theme (slower than the others)

Regarding other music Moonlight Sonata (this one even mentioned in the Housepets comic :) ) is very nice piece of classical music, especially the 3rd movement. You can find it at Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons and it was also used in Earthworm Jim 2 for Sega Genesis (levels "See Jim Run, Run Jim Run" and door boss in "ISO 9000") including 1st movement (something salamander level). In modern music, I like Nightwish a lot, with their Symphonic Power Metal style (but only songs created by the old group with Tarja Turunen) - electric guitars and opera voice are gorgeous combination. I recommend "Planet Hel" (with two L, forum censors it (is it considered as not polite under all circumstances or just when used when swearing? (I'm not native speaker, so I have no idea how does it sound to native speakers))), "Dark Chest of wonders", "Wishmaster", "Slaying the Dreamer" or "Kinslayer". It's really hard to get them from your head :)
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Tehman

Post by Tehman »

Ebly wrote:This is a bump. :|

This is a bump to say:
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
oh my god I've fallen in love with Of Montreal

Good stuff.....
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote:
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
I have a friend who is obsessed with them. She tried to get me to like them but I just couldn't get into it, mostly because pretty much all of their songs sound like they're saying random words in lieu of lyrics.

"Let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in antarctica," are you serious. If it has a DEEP and HIDDEN meaning then it's an extremely pretentious one. It's like these indie bands go "lyrics making logical sense?! no! forget you." and then think that if they make their lyrics random words and phrases it will make them seem mysterious and nonconformist and I just don't buy into that.

gadgum kids get off my lawn
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:
Ebly wrote:
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
Of Montreal
I have a friend who is obsessed with them. She tried to get me to like them but I just couldn't get into it, mostly because pretty much all of their songs sound like they're saying random words in lieu of lyrics.

"Let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in antarctica," are you serious. If it has a DEEP and HIDDEN meaning then it's an extremely pretentious one. It's like these indie bands go "lyrics making logical sense?! no! forget you." and then think that if they make their lyrics random words and phrases it will make them seem mysterious and nonconformist and I just don't buy into that.

gadgum kids get off my lawn
ololo, honestly he's just a stoner
i've pretty much gotten over lyrics. what they actually say doesn't matter much if you only care about how it sounds.
(you kind of need to have that attitude anyway because lyrics SUCK nowadays)
i have that one in my signature because it makes me laugh to be honest, and it makes me laugh because it makes no muffins and cookies sense.

frankly lyrics always have sucked though
Piper at the Gates of Dawn? Yeah, pink floyd pretty much did use random words in lieu of lyrics. I loved that album though, pure psychedelic trash, wahaha.

EDIT NOTE: I've long since accepted my taste in music sucks anyway by the way, so don't worry about that <3
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote:EDIT NOTE: I've long since accepted my taste in music sucks anyway by the way, so don't worry about that <3
Oh no I wasn't saying anything like that. I was just saying that I disagree and why.

That's what forums are for! :F
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:
Ebly wrote:EDIT NOTE: I've long since accepted my taste in music sucks anyway by the way, so don't worry about that <3
Oh no I wasn't saying anything like that. I was just saying that I disagree and why.

That's what forums are for! :F
Sure sure, but I was adding my own point of view on my own musical tastes.
Seriously, if I had to look at it objectively, my music is bad. It lacks pretty much any musical quality. I just like how it sounds. 8D
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Haha, well in the interest of fairness I think I'll post my favorites so you all get to make fun of me for my terrible (and perhaps hypocritical) taste in music:

Jamiroquai
The J Geils Band
Bloc Party
The Killers
Reel Big Fish
Moby
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Daft Punk
Rise Against (yes go away)
VNV Nation
And of course lots of video game music.

in no particular order.
Tehman

Post by Tehman »

NoelL wrote:Haha, well in the interest of fairness I think I'll post my favorites so you all get to make fun of me for my terrible (and perhaps hypocritical) taste in music:

Bloc Party
The Killers
Reel Big Fish
Moby
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Daft Punk

in no particular order.
Very good stuff....
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:Haha, well in the interest of fairness I think I'll post my favorites so you all get to make fun of me for my terrible (and perhaps hypocritical) taste in music:

Jamiroquai
The J Geils Band
Bloc Party
The Killers
Reel Big Fish
Moby
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Daft Punk
Rise Against (yes go away)
VNV Nation
And of course lots of video game music.

in no particular order.
i read your list and my blood ran cold.
no space
Location: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, in a little place called Home.

Post by no space »

Flaming Lips
Wolf Parade
Handsome Furs
Lemon Demon
Airborne Toxic Event

The first four have populated my playlists for months- years, some of them- and the fifth has become an essential part ever since I got their CD. It is absolutely amazing, and everyone should listen to it.

Also, my name is now featured on every group on the index page. Accomplishment.
What a beautiful waste-
hangnail whispering, "Let's be lonely together."
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote:i read your list and my blood ran cold.
Explain!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:
Ebly wrote:i read your list and my blood ran cold.
Explain!
j geils band
sucky reference
i honestly love most of those though
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote: j geils band
Oh

OH

God I feel dumb for not picking up on that. It's only their single most popular song.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:
Ebly wrote: j geils band
Oh

OH

God I feel dumb for not picking up on that. It's only their single most popular song.
i take you as proof that /b/ makes you stupid

(ololo, jox)
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

I actually don't go to /b/

But /v/ is pretty much /b/ except (sometimes) with videogames.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:I actually don't go to /b/

But /v/ is pretty much /b/ except (sometimes) with videogames.
note jox.
/v/ is pretty much /v/
somehow i've been there enough that no matter how -similar- they are i can actually tell the difference
(but i don't really identify with any of the boards or anything like that, it kind of just feels stupid when people that do that, like LOL IM A TROL /B/ /V/ /G/EEK OLOLO)
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Buahahahaha, /x/.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Slippy wrote:Buahahahaha, /x/.
i will only accept you as a member of /x/ when you get me a download of the grifter.
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Ebly wrote:
Slippy wrote:Buahahahaha, /x/.
i will only accept you as a member of /x/ when you get me a download of the grifter.
THERE IS NO GRIFTER. D:<
Missingo

Post by Missingo »

...now back on topic because 4chan is annoying...

EBLY! YOU HAVE GOTTEN ME ADDICTED TO THE FLASHBULB!
/shakes fist

And congratulations on your 1000th post :mrgreen:

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Missingo wrote:1000th post :mrgreen:
U:
The really really scary thing is that when I left last night my post count actually said 998. AND I CAN'T POST WHILE IN BED! U>

Benn jordan is awesome and I am proud that I have made you like him 8D
Tehman

Post by Tehman »

New Muse album = Very Good