Favorite Movie from your childhood?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Harry Johnathan

Favorite Movie from your childhood?

Post by Harry Johnathan »

The Polar Express by a thousand miles.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Favorite Movie from your childhood?

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Probably Pokemon: The First Movie. I didn't see it in theaters but my grandfather took be to the market and bought it for me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

One of my childhood's favorite movie actors was Danny Kaye.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:33 am The Polar Express by a thousand miles.
Lovely film!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Another one that I just thought of a bit recently. That is the original Toy Story. A lot of people were really surprised I preferred Woody to Buzz.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) by Walt Disney
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is another one that I also liked but I remember the live-action one more for some reason. Probably has to do with Cruella DeVille constantly landing in gross stuff. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:57 am One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) by Walt Disney
Also a favorite pf mine. I was used to the old 40's style of animation I'd seen in the classics, so the new, more linier and edgy style sort of threw me. On the second viewing, I came to enjoy it - I think I was fourteen at the time (1961).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This is probably me being an ignorant nimrod but I never saw any differences between the art style of 1940s and 1960s cartoons.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I have a few :)

- The Villain (Kirk Douglas and Arnold Schwarzenegger Western)
- Oscar (Sylvester Stallone Comedy)
- The Great Race (Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Natalie Wood epic comedy)
- The Star Wars Original Trilogy
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) it was the first movie I saw in the theater with a friend.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:32 am This is probably me being an ignorant nimrod but I never saw any differences between the art style of 1940s and 1960s cartoons.
No, you're not, Amazz. To oversimplify, the 40's cartoons of the great studios used rounded figures, full-bodied animation, and sought to create "realism" in their animation. They also featured fairly detailed backgrounds, intricate perspectives, strong attention to lip-sync (making lips, teeth, eyes look like the physical movements of what the character was saying), and other techniques to suggest you were watching a "real world".

The UPA studios, beginning in the 50's, sought to be more abstract and place less effort on realism. Part of this change was artistic ("The Revolt Against Disney") and part of it was cost cutting. In the late 50's and early 60's, Hanna and Barbara brought these styles to cartooning with a vengeance - Ruff and Reddy, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear, and Pixie & Dixie, and The Flintsones. Typical of these toons was a lot more verbalization but less attention to vocal anatomy, much simpler backgrounds, and "fragmented animation", for example. ("fragmented animation" is exemplified when Fred Flintstone runs - instead of animating Fred's entire body, the artist used a picture of all of the character's body and only animates the legs going skutta-skutta-skutta-skutta to produce the caveman's noisy scamper. This process is a lot faster, cheaper, and increases output dramatically for the studio.)

The result, in the sixties and seventies, was an enormous outpouring of animated TV shows, many of them in prime time for adults (although still relosutely PG). Some of them were good, a lot of them were just imitative, profit-driven drek, and it was Hanna-Barbara leading the charge. They also got into the super-hero, quasi-mythological, and syfy categories - and any popular teen book, movie, or TV show would spawn a cartoon shadow. Most of these were imitative of each other, recycled plots and jokes, used laugh tracks, and produced marketable toys, games, outfits, and other shoddy recyclables. To satisfy critics, many of them often inserted what one wag called "an educational fortune cookie", some little bit of information or moral to allow the show producers to claim their stuff had "social value".

TV cartoons pretty much eclipsed theatre animation. The old 5-8 minute "short" disappeared. Disney want into a creative purgatory and newer studios like Rankin-Bass and Ralph Bakshi struggled, all trying to use newer technologies to maintain the older styles.

But that was long ago ................ sorta.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would imagine that television animation would do a lot better than animation in the theater because with movies its one big long project so you can take your time on it. With cartoon shows you need to produce a set amount of episodes os anything that speeds up this process to get the episodes out will be done.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:10 am I would imagine that television animation would do a lot better than animation in the theater because with movies its one big long project so you can take your time on it. With cartoon shows you need to produce a set amount of episodes os anything that speeds up this process to get the episodes out will be done.
Well, that was a major element - TV cartoons were increasingly mass produced and the quality went down. This deterioration was seen especially in the children's/young adults stuff. Compare, for example, the Max and Dave Fleischer versions of "Popeye" from the mid-20th century with the King Features versions from the 70s that are borderline "still-lifes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I will be sure to give it a look if I'm not doing anything else just to see what you are talking about since I'm sort of interested.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:18 am I will be sure to give it a look if I'm not doing anything else just to see what you are talking about since I'm sort of interested.
They're probably on YouTube. The Fleischer's did some great stuff.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have no doubt that they did. All animation in the Golden Age was really beautifully made.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Lion King was mine. It's still really important to me! My grandma took me to see it when I was 3 right after my grandpa died. I think it also played a role in me being a furry.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MarkSabier89

Post by MarkSabier89 »

Shrek
This movie is gonna be 20 next year
And Disney hasn’t been able to beat this dreamworld classic in 20 years
Now that is just crazy
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

MarkSabier89 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:36 pm Shrek
This movie is gonna be 20 next year
And Disney hasn’t been able to beat this dreamworld classic in 20 years
Now that is just crazy
Dreamworks hasn't been able to beat that classic either. The sequels haven't done the original justice. :P

The first sequel was pretty good, but that was a long time ago.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I feel so very OLD knowing that the movie is going to be 20 next year. Where the heck did the time go? X_X
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Disney nature fliks - he showed them in theatres before they appeared on his TV show, Disneyland.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sleet wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:52 am The Lion King was mine. It's still really important to me! My grandma took me to see it when I was 3 right after my grandpa died. I think it also played a role in me being a furry.
Well, since we're getting sentimental ... I remember seeing the rerun of Snow White in 1952 and the seven dwarves absolutely captivated me. Sitting on the mantle of our home are the little disneykin dwarves I got that Christmas from a Disney Theatre playset my parents gave me. On the other hand, there was Bambi. I was enchanted by the cartoon in so many ways and, since i knew the fate of Bambi's mother, I was braced for her death scene unlike many, many others (still deeply moving, the scene where the Old Stag comes for his son). However, I had already read the original book by Felix Salten, and I was deeply disturbed by the "Disneyfication" of the story. The injection of cutie-patootie characters (thank you, Rosie O'Donnell) like Thumper, Flower, and the Wise Old Owl to replace more dramatic scenes and characters like Gobo, Marena, Old Nettla, Karus and Ronno - who has a much more complex and moving role in the book - struck me as borderline sacrilige.
IsraeliDisneyFan

Post by IsraeliDisneyFan »

101 Dalmatians (1961) by Walt Disney
Harry Johnathan

IsraeliDisneyFan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 am 101 Dalmatians (1961) by Walt Disney
Good choice.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

The Fox & The Hound
Watership Down
Robin Hood
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Getting away from animation, another favorite of mine was The Court Jester (1955). I loved Danny Kaye and saw all of his movies, watched his TV show, and admired him as both a versatile entertainer and a human being. Another one I liked from television (it was made before I was born) was The Inspector General.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its a shame that Danny Kaye died so young when he had so much more life to live. He died at the same age my grandparents did! At least now there is very minimum risk of ANYBODY contracting what he died from (Hepatitis C) through a blood transfusion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:45 am
IsraeliDisneyFan wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 am 101 Dalmatians (1961) by Walt Disney
Good choice.
I saw 101 Dalmations when it first came out. At the time, the animation seemed a little strange to me so I was a bit put off by it. Also, I had really liked the earlier, more traditional Lady and the Tramp. (Elspecially the diverse dog breeds in the dog pound scene - Bull, Boris, Dashie, the whole crew.) But, invited to see it again by a friend, I found 101 to be much more fun than I'd realized and came to like the more angular, sharp line animation. Yeah, good choice. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Singin' In The Rain. Saw it in 1952 at a drive-in in Key West Florida - my Dad was stationed at the Navy Base then. I was absolutely enchanted, of course especially by Gene Kelly's performance of the title song and dance.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always wanted to go to a drive thru but never had time to do it. We still have some around here.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

There maybe a couole left, but most got snapped up by developers. Money beats popcorn every time. sigh. :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hopefully I can get to one before it is redeveloped. Might be tight but I think I can swing it if I am lucky. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I saw Raya and the Last Dragon last night on the FreeForm channel. Okay, right - it's not a childhood movie since it came out in 2001, but as an "aging child", I did enjoy it. Sisu the dragon is a funny, enchanting and beguiling creature; her emotional range very rich and subtle. The animation of her and the other dragons (and the Druun villains) is absolutely jaw-dropping. And, my gosh, what they can do with water and landscapes in animation now! The human characters run the range from deep and well-developed to predictable and familiar, but the relationship of Raya and her frenemy, Namaari, is complex and intriguing. Despite the Asian setting, it's not Mulan But Elsewhere.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still have a hard time believing that some classic Disney movies like Pinocchio and One Hundred and One Dalmatians were shown in movie theaters. I know that it was a different time but the fact that when I saw the animated movies for the first time they felt more like cartoons that were in movie form for network television makes it hard to picture them on the big screen.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Most of the Disney films I saw as a child (or even a younger man), I saw in the theatre. The only exception was Alice in Wonderland which Disney truncated to show on his Disneyland program. He also showed many excerpts from Fantasia and some of his post-war 40's anthology films like Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun and Fancy Free or The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr.Toad. But that was a different era. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I mean I know they were shown in theaters at some point. I just can't see it personally though I know it was a different time if that makes sense.
Harry Johnathan

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:08 pm I mean I know they were shown in theaters at some point. I just can't see it personally though I know it was a different time if that makes sense.
Most cartoons on TV have crappy animation and minimal shading. Disney films have fluid animation and actual shading (with a few, um, exceptions..)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which exceptions are you talking about? Honestly I haven't noticed because I was around 2 to 5 years old when I saw some of the older animated canon from Disney.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm guessing - which is kinda unfair to Harry, I realize - that he's referring to the rise of the Hanna-Barbera style of animation which swept into vogue in the middle to late fifties. HB cartoons featured a lot of fragmented animation (example: arm moves separately while body drawing remains unchanged for many frames) unlike Disney's "whole body" drawings. Lots of action - rashes, falls, dialogues, explosions etc. occured off-stage. Running, for example, was character staying in one place, legs moving below body with lots of noise simulating run sounds, and then - zip - a swirl of lines and dust to indicate that a run had happened but the run itself was never depicted. Simpley put, lots of cheap gimickry to save money, time, labor, and allow for rapid mass production. Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bearand Pixie and Dixie with the infamous Snagglepuss launched this genre and imitators follow in floods. Characters had funny accents, catch phrases ("Smarter than the average bear", "I hate meeses to pieces", "Exit stage left") that kids could pick up to sound smart, and shows often sprung out of imitations of popular TV programs or movies (Remember JabberJaw, the shark with the band - HB loved teen band cartoons in the sventies. The quality of animation declined relentlessly, ending with the horror of King Features version of Popeye the Sailor.

Sigh. Yuk.