Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Cwitt

Re: Cartoons, Anime, whatever you call em!

Post by Cwitt »

I watched like the first 9 episodes of Trigun a while back. It was pretty cool. Vash was pretty hilarious.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

LordZepher wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:Does anyone watch Generator Rex? I love that show, way better than Ben10.
Blasphemy!!1!

...but then again, I never did see Rex.

Anyone remember Trigun?
Dude, John DiMaggio voices a talking monkey with laser guns. What is that not better than!? :P
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

naylorfan90 wrote:
LordZepher wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:Does anyone watch Generator Rex? I love that show, way better than Ben10.
Blasphemy!!1!

...but then again, I never did see Rex.

Anyone remember Trigun?
Dude, John DiMaggio voices a talking monkey with laser guns. What is that not better than!? :P
Good point, TO NETFLIX!!
Hey guys! I make art!
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Speaking of Netflix, Bleach and Naruto are now on watch instantly. Guess what I'm going to do this weekend.

EDIT: Just watched Bleach for the first time. It is awsome!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Bleach is pretty good, but not my favorite. I prefer something less actiony like Detective Conan/ Case Closed.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

There Going To Air 90's cartoons on TeenNick quote; "The '90s Are All That is a programming block that is set to air beginning July 25, 2011 on TeenNick. The block will show requested Nickelodeon shows from the 1990s, airing during the weekdays at 12 am to 4 am and on weekends at 4 pm to 6 pm.[1]
The creation of the block was inspired by a large amount of interest in classic Nickelodeon series by users of social media outlets such as Facebook. The block derives its name and logo from All That, a popular sketch comedy series that ran on Nickelodeon from 1994 to 2005."
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Eh, I never knew that there's a cartoon/anime thread here XD

But sadly, not many new animes that I'm interested of this season, apart from Nichijou. (-.-')

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ManaWolf wrote:There Going To Air 90's cartoons on TeenNick quote; "The '90s Are All That is a programming block that is set to air beginning July 25, 2011 on TeenNick. The block will show requested Nickelodeon shows from the 1990s, airing during the weekdays at 12 am to 4 am and on weekends at 4 pm to 6 pm.[1]
The creation of the block was inspired by a large amount of interest in classic Nickelodeon series by users of social media outlets such as Facebook. The block derives its name and logo from All That, a popular sketch comedy series that ran on Nickelodeon from 1994 to 2005."
That is amazing! Too bad I don't get TeenNick. :/
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Um...I've watched to much anime for my own good. It's like an obbsension ;_; Even ask Aaron... ATM I'm watching Kanon, I'm not even into romance but I played the game and cried through it. If you like romance please please please watch Clannad and Clannad after story, I CRIED FOR HOURS XD It's beautiful and tragic, then you cry at the end because of happiness. I seriously cried for days. Amazing anime that affected my life in a big way.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

And I have now finished watching Death Note.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Death Note = Awesome. it's the only Anime beside Ghost in the Shell that my dad likes.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I've only read the manga though, and I do agree that even that is good =3

Huh, finished another marathon session of Honey and Clover, I highly recommend it if you like crazy humour and tearjerkers at the same time.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Death Note = Awesome. it's the only Anime beside Ghost in the Shell that my dad likes.
Death Note is the only manga I've ever read that didn't have to do with Pokemon. I really liked it.

Though I hate wearing my shirt with L on it around nerds, because they try to talk to me about anime as if I know anything.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Death Note = Awesome. it's the only Anime beside Ghost in the Shell that my dad likes.
Totally went on a Death Note spree for two days. It was amazing. Loved the analytical-ness of it.

A week after that, I watched all of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. That was pretty good too. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Liam

Post by Liam »

I like series like GitS, Hell Girl or the seriously underrated Noir (because apparently scarcely anybody ever saw it). The ones with more mature themes, if you will.

More puerile, Tastes Like Diabetes stuff that floods the mainstream these days isn't really my cup of tea. For example, they show for the first time the synchronized version of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle over here. The other day this Syaoran guy had to fight monsters in a land where all the citizens are holograms (or something) and then he stumbles into a lounge area complete with pink plush settees in the middle of a subterranean cave and gets glomped by a girl with a chibi body. It made me cringe.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

I loooove hell girl!

Perhaps...it is time...to die...

XD

That episode with the stalker really freaked me out. The amount of innocent puppies that die in that series is unbelievable D:.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Currently trying to sit down and get through Soul Eater. That's not to say I don't like it; it's one of my favorites so far. I just can't seem to get beyond the seventh episode.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

Is anyone other than me going to be awake after midnight just to watch the first premiere of the 90's are all that on teenick.
I got my couch, got my cream soda, and I look forward to watching doug and all the other cartoons and shows.
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Liam wrote:Hell Girl
Are you referring to Jigoku Shoujo?
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

ManaWolf wrote:Is anyone other than me going to be awake after midnight just to watch the first premiere of the 90's are all that on teenick.
I got my couch, got my cream soda, and I look forward to watching doug and all the other cartoons and shows.
Ooh, right, I forgot about that.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Liam

Post by Liam »

Alex M. wrote:Are you referring to Jigoku Shoujo?
Hai.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ManaWolf wrote:Is anyone other than me going to be awake after midnight just to watch the first premiere of the 90's are all that on teenick.
I don't get that channel, but I'd be really excited for it if I had it. :(
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So, did anyone else see the new Adventure Time episode? That ending was just frightening. :lol:
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

copper wrote:Detective Conan/ Case Closed.

I miss this show so much.
ImageImageImage
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:ugh.
I found the animation dull, the humor misplaced and a lot of the characters annoyed me. Also, the karma never seemed to go in the right direction.
I don't think I've seen enough Hey Arnold to judge, I wasn't a real fan of the character designs though.
yehoshua wrote:
Chaplin wrote:Squidward - Calamardo
Mr. Krabs - Señor Cangrejo
Sandy - Arenita (Pretty much "Little sand")

All the other Chars had fairly similar names.
Patrick is Patricio

Plankton is the same.

The Krusty Krab is El Crustaceo Cascarudo

Gary is Gary.
I think it's odd that they didn't translate "Plankton", unless the word for plankton just so happens to be the same.
Image Image
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

CaptainPea wrote:
Psykeout wrote:ugh.
I found the animation dull, the humor misplaced and a lot of the characters annoyed me. Also, the karma never seemed to go in the right direction.
I don't think I've seen enough Hey Arnold to judge, I wasn't a real fan of the character designs though.
yehoshua wrote:
Chaplin wrote:Squidward - Calamardo
Mr. Krabs - Señor Cangrejo
Sandy - Arenita (Pretty much "Little sand")

All the other Chars had fairly similar names.
Patrick is Patricio

Plankton is the same.

The Krusty Krab is El Crustaceo Cascarudo

Gary is Gary.
I think it's odd that they didn't translate "Plankton", unless the word for plankton just so happens to be the same.
apparently(this is according to google translate) it's spelled plancton
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
sean21

Post by sean21 »

my favorite of all times is Naruto Shippuden, the comic book anime version

also you guys have alot of good anime choises, but my heart is set for Naruto... and maybe Bleach... and Soul Eater... Card Captors... Dragonball Z, i can go on and on Pokemon, the old and new Yugiho

another also did you know the comic book version is better then the animation version, thats probably just my opinion thought
Shawn "hey."
Sean "greetings."
Alex "hi everyone ^_^"
Justin "wazz'up dudes."
David "i hope it rains today."
Shawn "this is my loving family, sort of speak."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, that is an opinion, but a fairly common one because the manga is the source material. a little something is often lost when it's adapted into anime.

that being said, I like to see them as two separate entities and not judge one based on the other.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
McFly

Post by McFly »

Ed, Edd n Eddy. 'Nough said.
Helmetzid

Post by Helmetzid »

to go off of brent, i'd like to bring up Fullmetal Alchemist, the orginal series was so far off from the manga it wasn't even funny, still good, but when i expected more canon material, but Brotherhood, completely followed the manga to the T, they can follow the plot if they try, but the real reason they do something different is to not overuse stale material and pull in a bigger audience with more scenarios
Peanut has a Facebook!!!
It takes a REAL genius to do something truely stupid!-ME
Wanna play a game with me on steam? PM me
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

actually, if a show splits that drastically from the manga, it's because they've caught up to the manga. when that happens, they have 3 choices. end abruptly like the Inuyasha anime did, go into a whole bunch of filler episodes like Naruto did, or take the show in its own direction like FMA did.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

High School of the Dead.

Starts out as a typical high school romance story, the BAM! George A. Romero-style zombie apocalypse hits Tokyo and the world! A group of students and the school nurse band together to survive. This is a good character driven horror story that is sort of Japan's answer to "The Walking Dead". The only fault I find in it is that it is loaded with fan service that I think is kind of gimmicky. It has been attacked by some critics for this and I do admit it is inappropriate for the type of story they are trying to tell. I highly recommend the anime and the manga its based on. I will warn you though, it has scenes of extreme violence and gore.

Beast Warriors Gulkeeva/Wild Knights Gulkeeva

This is a lost treasure for those of you in the furry fandom. Never given an official release in the west, an enterprising fan from Australia has posted the entire series, fan dubbed, on to youtube. The series is about young man named Touya Shinjou, who discovers that he is not from earth, but from an alternate dimension and he is the reincarnation of a legendary knight. The world his parents come from is called Athealia, where two races, the humanoid and the animaloids coexist in peace, but are under attack by the darknoids, a collection of evil members of both races, who have opened a new front on Earth. He is joined by knights from Eternalia, Greyfus the wolf, Beakwood the Eagle and Gariell the Gorilla (they are later joined by Tedium the bear). These furry warriors help Touya defend Earth from these invaders. There is a character called Melody who calls herself a "furry fan" and has crushes on Greyfus and Tedium. The episodes range in tone from silly to tragic. A real must if you like anthropomorphic characters.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

FMA is the best anime I've ever seen. I've started watching Brotherhood, but so far it just seems far more rushed than the first series was. For that reason alone, I'm having trouble getting through that series; I started because everyone has told me that Brotherhood is "way better".

Anyway. Nowadays, the only cartoon I watch on a regular basis is MLP:FiM. I haven't really sat down and watched TV on a television set in years, so I see no point in trying to keep up with shows that don't have their material online. I watched Adventure Time and Regular Show a few times while I was at college last year, because my friends all adored it, and I really liked Regular Show. AT was kinda hit-or-miss for me though. It was kinda funny at times, but the art style just bothered me. It seemed like they were trying to make it as trippy as possible, and they did a really good job of it; watching it felt like what I imagine the real world would be like while you're high. :/
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

KJOokami wrote:FMA is the best anime I've ever seen. I've started watching Brotherhood, but so far it just seems far more rushed than the first series was. For that reason alone, I'm having trouble getting through that series; I started because everyone has told me that Brotherhood is "way better".
The ending is better. the beginning is rushed because those parts of the first series were already faithful to the manga, so they didn't have any new stories to tell.

basically, the first part of Brotherhood is a recap of the first part of the first series. They even have a character that was fully introduced in the first series, and barely mentioned in Brotherhood, but you're expected to know him when he pops up in a more important role.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Construction Boots

Post by Construction Boots »

I have to show love for two of my most beloved animas.

Robotech: It has jets that transform into giant robots and aliens all fighting over one ship that crashed to earth.

Ronin Warriors: Kick those power rangers to the curb and pick up some ronins because nothing beats these guys. In addition, the main guy has a tiger for a pet.
Ok so I'm secretly a mouse who lives in a boot. What you have never seen rescue rangers before?

Widget's stats: S- 4, P- 4, E- 8, C- 4, I- 5, A- 10, L- 7

Inky's stats: S- 6, P- 5, E- 4, C- 6, I- 6, A- 7, L- 8
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I have been watching some very interesting Russian cartoons as of late. One of the most famous is "Nu, pogodi!", which translates loosely as "Well, just you wait!" This is sort of the Soviet equivalent of "Tom and Jerry". In stead, you have Volk (Wolf) and Zayats (Hare). Even though it is in Russian, there is very little dialogue, even so it is very easy to follow.

Here a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1mvjDkFik8

Another good Russian cartoon is the stop motion animated "Wolf and Calf".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKLZhwWC4Q
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Xane wrote:I get the feeling similar opinions are why they decided to pretty much throw it out and have a do-over.
Or they just wanted to give the people who only watch anime and don't read manga the story the author originally intended them to get. And give those who do both an animated version of what they grew to love.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

The only anime I ever watched was Pokemon (when I was younger) and Sonic X (if you can call it an anime). I also watched and enjoyed the first episode of The Full Metal Alchemist, but I never when't further in the series that that.

All of this is of course in the past, but I still do watch the Pokemon movies whenever I get the chance, and Sonic X when its on.
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Cartoons
-Adventure Time (oh so funny and strange; I enjoy the occasional character development that happens from time to time)
-Regular Show (also great; love the references to old show montages and music)
-Ed, Edd, n' Eddy (if it's showing, I'll watch; there's a bit of a nostalgia factor in effect here)
-Martin Mystery (liked the supernatural theme and anime behavior that shows up, like when Martin gets slapped)
-Captain Planet (that's a blast from the past, "Earth, water, fire, wind, heart. With your powers combined I am Captain Planet! Captain Planet, he's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero!")
-Looney Tunes (funny show from my dad's generation, we both love it, although there are some subtle racial undertones)
-Looney Tunes Show (really funny; a good modernized version of Looney Tunes)
-Teen Titans (also mimicked anime behavior; liked the show, but they left it hanging on the last episode, the one with that freaky white humanoid creature and Terra)
-Megas XLR (crazy show; love it when Coop does his scream)
-Courage the Cowardly Dog
-Angry Beavers (liked Norb's and Daggett's rivalry, and the noises they made "EEEEEE!!!" "OOOOOO!!!")
-Invader Zim (such a strange show, but good regardless, wish they would continue it)
-Samurai Jack (oh just incredible, why didn't they honor it with a proper ending?)
-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
-The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (also strange, also silly, also hilarious)
-Secret Saturdays (liked the cryptozoology theme; liked how they tied Van Rook into the lives of the Saturday family; somewhat sad ending)
-Jackie Chan Adventures (faint but fond memories of this show; loved the whole zodiac medallion powers)
-Avatar: The Last Airbender (amazing show and finale; really exited for The Legend of Korra)
-King of the Hill (one of the only shows that I believe people can get real life lessons from; very funny, "That's my purse!")
-Young Justice (great new show; me and my sister make fun of Superman's reaction to Superboy like he's some estranged father; have to admit I love the whole -Superboy-Miss Martian relationship) :oops:

Anime
-Cubix (vaguely remember it but know I liked it; was this an anime?)
-Death Note (clever and suspenseful show; somewhat peaceful ending IF you're watching the anime, the manga ending on the other hand...)
-Yu Yu Hakusho (old and cool anime)
-Wolf's Rain (great yet horribly tragic anime, it's hard to try and watch it again without thinking about how I may cy; one of those old animes with good English dubs; Yoko Kanno composes for it!)
-Case Closed (like a Japanese child was fused with Sherlock Holmes and Inspector Gadget; good anime)
-Dragon Ball, DBZ, DBGT (watched it all in it's entirety and I have to say, yes, it's good but they REALLY overextend the battles, like when Goku powered up his Spirit bomb against Frieza)
-Full Metal Alchemist (good anime, but wasn't realy satisfied with the ending, the movie was good, but it's ending left me a bit unsatisfied as well)
-Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (prefer this one over the original FMA since it follows the manga and has a more satisfying ending)
-Cowboy Bebop (hands.. down.. the best, amazing English and Japanese voices, fantastic storyline, outstanding soundtrack thanks to Yoko Kanno once again; ending is heart wrenching sad, I choke up every time I hear "Blue" on the final episode's credits; loved the music theme that was changed with each episode and made apparent by the episode's title)
-Code Geass (like a mix between Death Note and Gundam; exceptional; also a heart wrenching ending)
-Ghost in the Shell (cool futuristic anime, but hard to follow if you don't pay attention)
-Naruto, Naruto Shippuden (apparently most people here aren't fond of this anime, I ahve to say I really love it; the English voices are utter poo, if I have to, I read subtitles, bet I sound like Lester now)
-Eureka Seven (like Gundam meets hoverboards; great anime; also a sucker for the romance between Renton and Eureka; the movie was awesome, too, loved the alternate storyline)
-Fooly Cooly (funny yet confusing sometimes, read the manga for a full dose of confusion)
-s-CRY-ed (ACTION!!!)

Internet
-There She Is!! (I'd give it an award right now if I could, nuff said)
-Red vs. Blue (people rarely talk about it here; really funny, the people behind it are really funny as well)

Movie
-Dororo (can only think about this movie right now; cool live action film; lot of Japanese mythology)

Post by 0404 »

Anyone remeber Untalkative Bunny? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF1onas9 ... re=related
Spy vs Spy, peanuts (Charliebrown show),Catdog,Tom & Jerry
and Simpsons all da way!!