Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I already am, and you know it
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm thinking of it. Maybe the next time I get 3-4 days that I'm doing nothing.

Speaking of cartoons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC1Aa4s9wDk
Oh, the memories.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's on my short list of cartoons I would watch if I ever decide to add a new show.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

CaptainPea wrote:You should be watching Littlest Pet Shop you guys
May I ask why?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

For me the main appeal is just that the writers are obviously having fun and it shines through
The whole show is full of sight gags and absurd humor and it doesn't take itself too seriously but the characters are still legitimately likable.

It's difficult to explain but the episodes play almost like they're simultaneously original and recut as a parody; like there are a lot of gags where an almost entirely irrelevant scene or song is added as a joke, or they pull a logical idea beyond the point of sense or comprehension. It's surprisingly self aware, but it doesn't trip over itself trying to prove it.

Also as a general rule the voice actors are very good and that makes a bigger difference than you might expect

Also the songs are really good, really good

The art style is a little wonky, but in a certain way it makes it funnier, I mean
this wouldn't be half as funny if it weren't awkward as hecko

Also one of the characters is a dancing gecko with chest hair I could go on for a while

If you do watch it don't start at the beginning though, because the first 6 or so episodes are pretty stumbling and awkward and uncomfortable. The premise is simple enough that you really don't need to see the pilot to follow along at all.
Image Image
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I feel like I need to watch shows from the beginning anyway. If I watch it, I'll just power through 'em. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Oh ya, guess I should share the news I got from Tumblr. A Pokemon OVA, Pokemon the Origin, will be broadcasted in Japan starting on October, and the storyline follows the Pokemon Red/Blue/Green game storyline, featuring both Red and Green as main characters.

That is all.

Oh, and the Japanese trailer.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's only an OVA? Aww.

I'm pretty excited. The first anime has kinda run dry for me. Maybe this will be executed better!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The webcomic "Alpha Luna, The Werewolf Girl" is updating again! After a hiatus lasting over a year, I have a lot be happy about.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

The Summer 2019 anime season is upon us. Lots of good stuff is finally getting adaptations that I've been looking forward to, and some series are still wrapping up entirely or just wrapping up their latest seasons.

New series:
-Dr. Stone is finally getting its anime adaptation. The series premiered the day before yesterday and it's everything I could've hoped for. If you love science, definitely give this a watch. It can be found on Crunchyroll.

-Fire Force from the creator of Soul Eater, is an anime about a world in which spontaneous human combustion turns people into fire monsters called Infernals, and a special firefighting team that has to put them to rest. The opening is fantastic. This series can be found on Crunchyroll as well, with the first episode having premiered the day before yesterday.
Content warning: The anime has some fanservice moments involving nudity here and there.

-Vinland Saga is an anime about Vikings. It follows the main character, Thorfinn, as part of a band of Vikings that do their thing. It can be found on Amazon Prime Video. The first three episodes premiered today, actually.
Content warning: The subject matter is quite mature.

-Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba follows Tanjiro, a boy whose family was killed by demons. All except for his sister, Nezuko, who was turned into a demon. Tanjiro trains hard and goes through a grueling and deadly exam to eventually join the Demon Slayer Corps, an organization whose name says it all, in order to avenge his family and find a way to turn his sister back into a human again. The anime is already 14 episodes in and can be found on Crunchyroll.
Content warning: Quite a lot of blood and violence.

In other news (and what I really want to talk about), the highly-renowned Studio Trigger is producing a series called Brand New Animal. Premiering in 2020, it's being helmed by Yoh Yoshinari, who was a key animator for Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've been waiting for an anime like this for a long, long time. Glad to see that with this, Aggretsuko, and Beastars, anime and manga is becoming less skittish about series with casts made up entirely of anthropomorphic characters. The only other series I can think of with an all-anthro cast is Sherlock Hound and that was ages ago. Zootopia probably also helped a ton. Yoshinari even drew some Zootopia fanart, so I guess one could also take that as a sign that something like BNA wasn't that far off.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:The Summer 2019 anime season is upon us. Lots of good stuff is finally getting adaptations that I've been looking forward to, and some series are still wrapping up entirely or just wrapping up their latest seasons.

New series:
-Dr. Stone is finally getting its anime adaptation. The series premiered the day before yesterday and it's everything I could've hoped for. If you love science, definitely give this a watch. It can be found on Crunchyroll.

-Fire Force from the creator of Soul Eater, is an anime about a world in which spontaneous human combustion turns people into fire monsters called Infernals, and a special firefighting team that has to put them to rest. The opening is fantastic. This series can be found on Crunchyroll as well, with the first episode having premiered the day before yesterday.
Content warning: The anime has some fanservice moments involving nudity here and there..
I've watched both of these and give them my seal of approval as an anime geek. Fire Force has a lot of the usual anime tropes which is good depending on your opinion, I enjoy the tropes but there are those who might get tired of them. Dr. Stone is unique in general terms but does have a lot of science jargon that can be distracting as well as overdramatic characters. I enjoyed both very much.

Ash Greytree wrote:In other news (and what I really want to talk about), the highly-renowned Studio Trigger is producing a series called Brand New Animal. Premiering in 2020, it's being helmed by Yoh Yoshinari, who was a key animator for Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've been waiting for an anime like this for a long, long time. Glad to see that with this, Aggretsuko, and Beastars, anime and manga is becoming less skittish about series with casts made up entirely of anthropomorphic characters. The only other series I can think of with an all-anthro cast is Sherlock Hound and that was ages ago. Zootopia probably also helped a ton. Yoshinari even drew some Zootopia fanart, so I guess one could also take that as a sign that something like BNA wasn't that far off.
It is quite exciting to see that anthropomorphic characters are getting respect. I personally hoped to be leading the charge but I'll settle for contributing down the line.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just gonna settle for hoping that the momentum keeps on building and it doesn't stop.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote: I've watched both of these and give them my seal of approval as an anime geek. Fire Force has a lot of the usual anime tropes which is good depending on your opinion, I enjoy the tropes but there are those who might get tired of them. Dr. Stone is unique in general terms but does have a lot of science jargon that can be distracting as well as overdramatic characters. I enjoyed both very much.
Yeah, the scene where they're at the fire station cathedral and everyone is getting introduced and antics ensue before their first real fight had its fair share of tropes. What I did like is that the main character's training at the academy and induction into the Special Fire Force wasn't the beginning. I do love myself a good story arc about a character putting the work in and eventually earning a spot in the designated protagonist organization (Kimetsu no Yaiba's beginning arc is that and it's stellar), but the story starting out with Shinra being a member of the SFF so we can get to him interacting with the rest of the cast and allowing backstory to fill it in is excellent.

The accurate and real science jargon is one of the key points of Dr. Stone that makes it awesome. I'm still amazed that in the manga, the editors allowed them to list off the ingredients and process for making mother-flippin' gunpowder. That part is only a few episodes away in the anime, actually.

Edit: Adding a reply to what you said about BNA and anthro characters
fenrirblack wrote:It is quite exciting to see that anthropomorphic characters are getting respect.
Definitely. For a long while, anthro characters (more often than not referred to as "Beastmen" or "Demihumans") were just side or background characters. The most ridiculous example was a fantasy anime called WorldEnd which came out a while ago. It had anthro characters of many different species, and lots of cool designs, but the main focus of the series is the last living human and a group of fairies that are pretty much magical humans. Were anime studios, manga artists, and light novel writers just scared of having casts consisting entirely of non-human characters for the longest time, as if that would make their series unrelatable? Anyways, I'm just really happy things are turning around on that front.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Yo, read Beastars or watch the anime. It's great! (But watch the age classification, it deals with some heavier subjects.)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Oh deer I'm going to be very boring in this capacity...
The only anime's I've watched in the last few years were FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood and another called Steinsgate. Both were good enough I watched all the way through... but I think they're standard enough fare that most actual anime fans I've met IRL have seen both.
I did watch a great animated sci-fi anthology series on Netflix earlier this year called Love Death + Robots. Besides that the closest I got to a cartoon was probably Dirk Gently XD

As for comics, besides webcomics like this one I don't read many 'cause I've always found the format a little bit hard to make sense of. I've always preferred video- or tabletop-games for that sort of visual over-the-top entertainment.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always tell myself that I will find other anime to watch but I always keep putting it off.

Of course it really doesn't HELP much that I keep on putting off the rest of "The Golden Girls". It's gonna be a sad day when Betty White dies. Not to mention I haven't even TOUCHED the "Rocko's Modern Life" special.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I always tell myself that I will find other anime to watch but I always keep putting it off.

Of course it really doesn't HELP much that I keep on putting off the rest of "The Golden Girls". It's gonna be a sad day when Betty White dies. Not to mention I haven't even TOUCHED the "Rocko's Modern Life" special.
Wonder if Rocko knows Roosevelt and Bruce?
Speculation has it Betty White is not allowed to die - it's in her contract.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well we were all sure that it was gonna happen back in 2011 after the other three passed away a year apart. I expected it from Bea and Estelle as they were up there in age. Rue was unexpected since she was young (around the same age as my grandfather) and she had a brain hemorrhage.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I never was much for manga or anime, won't bore you with why. My eldest, however, sent me the first two Beastar book with a direct order to read them and, I must admit, I've really enjoyed them. I've continued into the others currently available in english, but I'll probably switch into the on-line. At the pace of publishing, I might not live long enough to complete the story which, I'm told, ends with chapter 196. Talk about War and Peace!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Been keeping some track of Beastars as it’s been translated online, but haven’t done a deep dive. Considered getting the official manga, but like so many things, hasn’t happened. I did see the first season on Netflix, though, it was pretty good. Love how awkwardly creepy Legoshi comes off as at times. Poor guy just wants to live life, but he keeps inadvertently scaring people. :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

D-Rock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:45 pm Been keeping some track of Beastars as it’s been translated online, but haven’t done a deep dive. Considered getting the official manga, but like so many things, hasn’t happened. I did see the first season on Netflix, though, it was pretty good. Love how awkwardly creepy Legoshi comes off as at times. Poor guy just wants to live life, but he keeps inadvertently scaring people. :lol:
Love the Beastars manga, not seen the netflix version, very original, I really like the loose drawing style as well. Blacksad is also well worth a read for the drawing alone. Usagi Yojumbo also a favourite of mine.

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I remember reading a few years ago that Usagi Yojimbo was supposed to be made into an anime at one point. Did that happen or was it a rumor?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It hasn’t been released. So far, just the initial announcement that it’ll be on Netflix, but haven’t found a release date.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:46 pm It hasn’t been released. So far, just the initial announcement that it’ll be on Netflix, but haven’t found a release date.
If you do, let me know, D. thanks
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually would be quite interested in seeing it also. My favorite version of him in the TMNT-verse is the one from the 2003 series.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:45 pm Been keeping some track of Beastars as it’s been translated online, but haven’t done a deep dive. Considered getting the official manga, but like so many things, hasn’t happened. I did see the first season on Netflix, though, it was pretty good. Love how awkwardly creepy Legoshi comes off as at times. Poor guy just wants to live life, but he keeps inadvertently scaring people. :lol:
yeah, I've seen some of the animated episodes on YouTube. They're pretty good - Juno is especially well done as are the exchages between Legoshi and Louis.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Louis is a deer in that series right? So if people are still having trouble with drawing antlers they should take a look at him and try drawing them that way. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:50 pm Louis is a deer in that series right? So if people are still having trouble with drawing antlers they should take a look at him and try drawing them that way. :D
yeah, the artists seem to have worked out a model for depicting his horns in comic, although they often look more plastic than realistic. But they work and, after all, the characters are anthropomorphic. The Netflix on-line animation is also impressive.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was trying to say that they should get a screenshot of Louis from the Netflix series and use that for the horns if they are continuing to have some sort of problem with them and getting them to come out the way they want.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Still not seen the animated series of Beastars (no netflix :( ). Read most of the Manga though, I like the way they draw Louis Amazee but not sure I could emulate, quite a unique style the artist has got, they have got a good balance between making the drawing look loose and spontaneous and fairly detailed at the same time. I do like the challenge of antlers though, maybe I should have a go at a red deer Character (or another species with pointy tines) or maybe I should go the other route altogether and draw a water deer (cool canines :) ).

may have to have another read now....
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The author/artist, Paru Itagaki, has improved in her own way, too. The later comic pages has a more toon look to them as opposed to the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:21 am The author/artist, Paru Itagaki, has improved in her own way, too. The later comic pages has a more toon look to them as opposed to the beginning.
I kinda get the feeling the art is something of a communal effort. The various landscapes and stages are very well done, especially when setting the moods of the characters. There are some occasional - as my high school art teacher used to them - "infelicities" with the characters. These usually come with proportions - consistency in the heights of the characters in proportion to each other. Faces are sometimes a little tricky, especially at a distance. Muzzles and jawlines may vary. But these are relatively trivial and, so very often, Paru conveys a character's emotions so vividly, it really strikes you. As I mentioned before, I never cared much for manga but I'm genuinely enjoying Beastars as far as I've gotten into it.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

So finally got round to finishing Beastars, not going to give away any spoilers for those that haven't read it all yet, a good read, thought it jumped the shark a bit towards the end third but looking forward to seeing what Paru and the team produce next.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I always hate it when a good story ends up ending at some point even though it is inevitable. I always find myself wishing for more!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:44 pm So finally got round to finishing Beastars, not going to give away any spoilers for those that haven't read it all yet, a good read, thought it jumped the shark a bit towards the end third but looking forward to seeing what Paru and the team produce next.
I'm only about a third of the way through the stories (up 88) so I appreciate your thoughtfulness, Deer. I, too, hate when something enjoy ends, but I respect the idea of leaving at the top of your game rather than going on so long it's the audience/readership that starts leaving.

... I assume you mean "jumped the shark" as the cliche but I believe Legoshi may have an encounter with a shark somewhere along in the narrative.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Honestly, last manga I read was the Majora's Mask adaptation. I did use to read alot of Shonen Jump back in the day - was a HUGE fan of Hikaru No Go (still am, though I hate the anime's voice for Sai) and One Piece - but I honestly kind of just fell out of it.

For comics? Last ones I read was the Batman/Elmer Fudd team-up, which was honestly surprisingly really good, and Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire (Still need to get the soundtrack and novel as I own the comic and game on N64).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

SeanWolf wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:24 pm HUGE fan of Hikaru No Go (though I hate the anime's voice for Sai)
I will fight you to the death on Sai's voice :lol:
Hikaru no Go got me into playing go, and now I actually get to play with my students on Wednesday's :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You just got to love it when fans fight over voice acting of a character. :)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Obbl wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:24 pm
I will fight you to the death on Sai's voice :lol: [/quote]

:lol: Sorry, I always had this image of a more regal sounding voice for Sai...not a even-more feminine-sounding James from Team Rocket :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Great now you have me wondering just how much more feminine that James voice can get. :!: