Reply to topic  [ 5909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 148  Next
Discussion: Video Games 
Author Message
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Esquire Fox wrote:
The games I have the fondest memories playing are co-op games.
It is a feature I wish more newer games would put some focus on.
FlintTheSquirrel and I have spent many many hours in front of the TV with these gems:

Goof Troop (SNES)
Mickey & Donald's World of Illusion (Genesis)
TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist (Mega Drive)
Super Smash Brothers (N64) / Melee (Gamecube) / Brawl (Wii)
Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) / Abyss (PS2) / Vesperia (Xbox 360)
We Love Katamari (PS2)
LittleBIGplanet (PS3)

I'd list some shooters, but those generally get Flint angry. Long live GoldenEye 007!!
Have any fond co-op memories of your own to share, or games to recommend?

You guys are awesome. :D
I would recommend "Star Ocean: The Last Hope" (360). It has a fun story and works much like the Tales series on the basis of exploration. The battle system is fun but tricky to get at first, and a tutorial system is offered at the beginning of the game.

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Eeeeeee, <3 Tales of Symphonia! I've put like two weeks into that game.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
I feel similarly about shooters. I don't hate them, exactly, but very rarely do I enjoy one. Goldeneye was one of my exceptions as well, since I played that so incredibly much. In fact, it took a lot of coaxing to get my parents to buy that for me and my sister, since we were somewhere around 7 and 10 at the time. Gears of War is pretty boring to me too, but the horde mode isn't terrible.


Dude, my mother and I played Goldeneye multiplayer all the time. The game was just that awesome. So there was no need to convince anybody, lol.

Quote:
Another Brawl hater? I love Brawl, despite its flaws. I felt like it improved more than it screwed up. The fact that its problems are so clear-cut and easily identified just goes to give me optimism for the fourth one, since I trust them to fix them.


The primary problem with Brawl is that Sakurai obviously wanted it to be a party game, and that's not why I ever liked Smash Bros. To me, they were always fighting games. This is why we all turned off items and only picked certain stages because it's just not fun to randomly lose because of some stupid item that's randomly created, or because we had to focus more on surviving on the stage than fighting each other. Treating Smash64 and Melee like fighting games, I had endless amounts of fun. I would spend hours just trying to get a particular sequence down so I could get better. But Sakurai clearly hated this idea and so made sure it was basically impossible to play Brawl as a real fighting game. For some strange reason the game has random tripping, all characters auto-L-cancel (which effectively removes L-Cancelling), everybody has stupidly good recoveries so edge guarding is now extremely difficult and hardly ever pays off (probably due to the floaty physics), there are hardly any stages that don't have some stupid gimmick to make it unplayable, they brought back all of the terrible stages from melee, with one exception, the character balance is worse than it was in melee, hit-stun is pretty non-existent making any good combos impossible, the dodge physics are different so no wavedashing, etc etc.

There's also the annoyance that Jigglypuff is worthless in Brawl, and Young Link doesn't exist, and they were my two favourite characters in Melee.


Quote:
Oregon Trail and Number Munchers were all we would play on our computers in elementary school. They're pretty much the best educational games ever.


Is Oregon Trail an educational game? I thought it was just an awesome game!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I haven't played on of the Tales series yet.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 pm
Profile
Mr. Sunshine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 5857
Location: The nth plane
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
I haven't played on of the Tales series yet.

^Needs to get a Tales game.
PS2: Tales of Legendia or Tales of the Abyss.
GCN: Tales of Symphonia.
Wii: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (sequel to Symphonia)
360: Tales of Vesperia.
All of these I know from experience are awesome.
Pick your poison :D

_________________
Image
ImageImageImageImage
If you're awesome, you're here.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Don't play Symphonia 2 until you've played the first. Not only does it make less sense if you haven't played the prequel, it's the worse game anyway.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Sleet wrote:
I feel similarly about shooters. I don't hate them, exactly, but very rarely do I enjoy one. Goldeneye was one of my exceptions as well, since I played that so incredibly much. In fact, it took a lot of coaxing to get my parents to buy that for me and my sister, since we were somewhere around 7 and 10 at the time. Gears of War is pretty boring to me too, but the horde mode isn't terrible.


Dude, my mother and I played Goldeneye multiplayer all the time. The game was just that awesome. So there was no need to convince anybody, lol.
My parents don't play video games, so as far as they were concerned Goldeneye was a violent game rated 13+.

Quote:
The primary problem with Brawl is that Sakurai obviously wanted it to be a party game, and that's not why I ever liked Smash Bros. To me, they were always fighting games. This is why we all turned off items and only picked certain stages because it's just not fun to randomly lose because of some stupid item that's randomly created, or because we had to focus more on surviving on the stage than fighting each other. Treating Smash64 and Melee like fighting games, I had endless amounts of fun. I would spend hours just trying to get a particular sequence down so I could get better. But Sakurai clearly hated this idea and so made sure it was basically impossible to play Brawl as a real fighting game. For some strange reason the game has random tripping, all characters auto-L-cancel (which effectively removes L-Cancelling), everybody has stupidly good recoveries so edge guarding is now extremely difficult and hardly ever pays off (probably due to the floaty physics), there are hardly any stages that don't have some stupid gimmick to make it unplayable, they brought back all of the terrible stages from melee, with one exception, the character balance is worse than it was in melee, hit-stun is pretty non-existent making any good combos impossible, the dodge physics are different so no wavedashing, etc etc.

There's also the annoyance that Jigglypuff is worthless in Brawl, and Young Link doesn't exist, and they were my two favourite characters in Melee.
I don't worry too much about the gimmicky stages and items in Brawl, because they're popular with some people and they can always be turned off. I actually like items and dynamic stages sometimes; I enjoy both balanced tests of skill and more unpredictable matches, so it's good to have an option. What I didn't like, however, was the tripping (which no one likes, so I don't get why it got greenlighted) and the floatiness and all the implications thereof. The L-canceling I'd prefer to see back, but it's not a big issue for me. I'm actually glad wavedashing is gone, since that was just a glitch in the first place. The sheer amount of content they added makes up for these mistakes for me, however, and makes me optimistic about the next game, since these concerns aren't unlikely to be fixed.

Another issue that you didn't bring up since you don't play with items anyway is Final Smashes being horribly unbalanced. Not only are characters like Pit and Meta Knight so much better at getting Smash Balls, some characters have game-breaking Final Smashes, whereas others are completely weak or easy to dodge. When I'm Wolf, I have managed to KO a single player twice off of one Smash Ball, but as Lucario I have friends who consistently can dodge Aura Storm and take no damage. That leads to turning Smash Balls off even in casual matches, which is bad because they're pretty fun.

I was sad to see Jigglypuff change as well. She was one of my better characters in Melee as well, but I almost never play her anymore except on occasion just for the heck of it. The difference between Toon Link and Young Link isn't really any larger than the difference between some characters in their Melee and Brawl forms, so I don't really consider Young Link as gone.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Last edited by Sleet on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Tha Housedog wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
I haven't played on of the Tales series yet.

^Needs to get a Tales game.
PS2: Tales of Legendia or Tales of the Abyss.
GCN: Tales of Symphonia.
Wii: Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (sequel to Symphonia)
360: Tales of Vesperia.
All of these I know from experience are awesome.
Pick your poison :D

Too bad I don't have any money.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:26 pm
Posts: 5133
Images: 2
Location: Someplace with Internet access
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
Too bad I don't have any money.

I hear that. And any money I do have is devoted to other things for the next two weeks.

_________________
DOH HO HO WELL THEN


Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 483
Location: Bork, Bork, Bork! (Sweden)
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Shooter games come to me in 3 forms.
First there are the legendary classics that brought the genre to consoles (GoldenEye 007, CoD, Halo).
Then there are the games that try to rip them off (pretty much every other shooter).
And finally there are the games that actually take the genre in a new direction. Valve owns 90% of this lot.
I've practically given up on the genre. It is so boring and generic.

As for Brawl,
What disappointed me most about Brawl wasn't a change in gameplay mechanics.
Rather I was disappointed that all unlockables came by beating story mode.
In the other games, the unlockables were cryptic or required a ton of playtime.
This kept me excited, anxious for the next unlockable.
The smashball is effectively this game's blue shell.
Cheap, but you can disable it, so no complaints.

_________________
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I felt the same way about the unlockables. I loved unlocking characters in Melee, but they were boring in Brawl. At least there are all sorts of other things to unlock this time around.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I like the Final Smashes.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I like them in theory, but if they were all equally useful they would be less cheap for some characters. They're even less balanced than the characters normally are.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
My parents don't play video games, so as far as they were concerned Goldeneye was a violent game rated 13+.


Your parents and my parents clearly don't see eye to eye on these things. :P

Quote:
I don't worry too much about the gimmicky stages and items in Brawl, because they're popular with some people and they can always be turned off. I actually like items and dynamic stages sometimes; I enjoy both balanced tests of skill and more unpredictable matches, so it's good to have an option. What I didn't like, however, was the tripping (which no one likes, so I don't get why it got greenlighted) and the floatiness and all the implications thereof. The L-canceling I'd prefer to see back, but it's not a big issue for me. I'm actually glad wavedashing is gone, since that was just a glitch in the first place. The sheer amount of content they added makes up for these mistakes for me, however, and makes me optimistic about the next game, since these concerns aren't unlikely to be fixed.


Wavedashing wasn't a glitch, it was a physics exploit. The physics were designed the way they were, and that design was done proper, and with that design wave dashing was doable. A glitch implies that something was working contrary to its design, or that the physics were just designed poorly which they weren't.

Now, I never even mastered wavedashing with anybody besides Samus, I still don't like it being gone because removal of it "evens the playing field" too much between loser like me who can't play, and tournament players.

I'm not personally swayed by that sheer amount of content because it's all useless and unimportant to me. I never spent hours trying to collect all the stickers or anything.

Quote:
Another issue that you didn't bring up since you don't play with items anyway is Final Smashes being horribly unbalanced. Not only are characters like Pit and Meta Knight so much better at getting Smash Balls, some characters have game-breaking Final Smashes, whereas others are completely weak or easy to dodge. When I'm Wolf, I have managed to KO a single player twice off of one Smash Ball, but as Lucario I have friends who consistently can dodge Aura Storm and take no damage. That leads to turning Smash Balls off even in casual matches, which is bad because they're pretty fun.


I suppose this is just how characters themselves are horribly unbalanced.

Quote:
The difference between Toon Link and Young Link isn't really any larger than the difference between some characters in their Melee and Brawl forms, so I don't really consider Young Link as gone.


Did you play Young Link? He plays absolutely nothing like Toon Link. Half of this is with Toon Link himself, the other half is the physics (whereas Jigglypuff sucks solely because of the physics). Toon Link's projectiles are slow as molasses, his attacks don't work the same, and he doesn't even have all the same attacks, and all this adds up to him requiring a completely different style of play than Young Link had. You can contrast this with for example, Ganondorf or Jigglypuff, who play the same, but suck now. (this is especially troublesome with Jigglypuff. From Top Tier to like, one of the worst characters in the game). Or in the case of Ganondorf who is the worst character in the game, suck more.



Esquire Fox wrote:
As for Brawl,
What disappointed me most about Brawl wasn't a change in gameplay mechanics.
Rather I was disappointed that all unlockables came by beating story mode.
In the other games, the unlockables were cryptic or required a ton of playtime.
This kept me excited, anxious for the next unlockable.
The smashball is effectively this game's blue shell.
Cheap, but you can disable it, so no complaints.


I actually liked the single player in Melee better than the one in Brawl. Brawl's single player was 10 hours of boring sameness. It was like a Kirby game, without all the stuff that made Kirby games fun. And the fact that you could get all the characters through the single player was something Sakurai lied about. He said that you couldn't, but come gametime, we find that we could.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Sleet wrote:
My parents don't play video games, so as far as they were concerned Goldeneye was a violent game rated 13+.


Your parents and my parents clearly don't see eye to eye on these things. :P
Evidently not.

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Wavedashing wasn't a glitch, it was a physics exploit. The physics were designed the way they were, and that design was done proper, and with that design wave dashing was doable. A glitch implies that something was working contrary to its design, or that the physics were just designed poorly which they weren't.

Now, I never even mastered wavedashing with anybody besides Samus, I still don't like it being gone because removal of it "evens the playing field" too much between loser like me who can't play, and tournament players.
Regardless of what it can be called, wavedashing wasn't intended to be in the game, so it wasn't tuned to exist. It just bugs me when a game being played on a casual level and on a competitive level are entirely different games. If more complex strategy and timing wasn't needed to play on a higher level, it wouldn't be a very good game, but it just doesn't sit right with me that an entire facet of competitive playing is something that doesn't even exist on a lower level. With other big competitive games like Street Fighter, Starcraft or Halo, the professionals are pretty much doing the same things as the casual players, only they're doing it faster, more strategically, and with more flexibility. Even outside of video games with things like chess or golf, it's all the same game, only on different levels. Sure, there are some new techniques newbies ignore, but they don't change the face of the game entirely. They could keep wavedashing in if they plan on it from the start and I'd be fine, but as it was in Melee bugged me.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
I'm not personally swayed by that sheer amount of content because it's all useless and unimportant to me. I never spent hours trying to collect all the stickers or anything.
I never worried about the stickers either, and was mostly referring to the characters, stages and the ability to make more stages.

Plus the awesome soundtrack.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
I suppose this is just how characters themselves are horribly unbalanced.
Yeah, but it's even worse. It takes a decent amount of playing to realize just how good Meta Knight is, whereas pretty much anyone can see that Olimar is a lot more deadly with a Smash Ball than Mario is.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Did you play Young Link? He plays absolutely nothing like Toon Link. Half of this is with Toon Link himself, the other half is the physics (whereas Jigglypuff sucks solely because of the physics). Toon Link's projectiles are slow as molasses, his attacks don't work the same, and he doesn't even have all the same attacks, and all this adds up to him requiring a completely different style of play than Young Link had. You can contrast this with for example, Ganondorf or Jigglypuff, who play the same, but suck now. (this is especially troublesome with Jigglypuff. From Top Tier to like, one of the worst characters in the game). Or in the case of Ganondorf who is the worst character in the game, suck more.
Some characters stayed more or less the same style, but Toon Link didn't change much more than, say, Luigi or Falco. I still consider them the same character despite the changes, since Toon Link is an obvious expy. But really this is all semantics. Every character changed in at least some way, so it's up to opinion who counts as the same, if anyone.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I don't like how they butchered Captain Falcon, he just plain sucks now.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:17 am
Posts: 254
Location: The US of A
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Ice Climbers and Link are my favorite fighters. (I don't spam the arrows, though.)

_________________
Image
Image
Frankenstein Shelley
S-7; P- 8; E- 6; C- 4; I- 7; A- 5; L- 5


Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:40 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
Regardless of what it can be called, wavedashing wasn't intended to be in the game, so it wasn't tuned to exist. It just bugs me when a game being played on a casual level and on a competitive level are entirely different games. If more complex strategy and timing wasn't needed to play on a higher level, it wouldn't be a very good game, but it just doesn't sit right with me that an entire facet of competitive playing is something that doesn't even exist on a lower level. With other big competitive games like Street Fighter, Starcraft or Halo, the professionals are pretty much doing the same things as the casual players, only they're doing it faster, more strategically, and with more flexibility. Even outside of video games with things like chess or golf, it's all the same game, only on different levels. Sure, there are some new techniques newbies ignore, but they don't change the face of the game entirely.


Wavedashing doesn't change the face of the game entirely. Wavedashing is just for more manoeuvrability and speed, when your character's running or dodging speed is awful (for example, Samus has terrible dodges, wavedashing is used to replace those dodges in order to get out of the way faster, or Mewtwo who's movement speed is terrible, will wavedash to move). The game is the same, it's just being done better by professionals because they know how to do X. It's not like wavedashing is just the most important thing you have to learn bar none. Shflling is just as important, and everything in a shffl was "intended" to be in the game, even though casual players basically never shffl. There are even pros who don't wavedash, although those who don't are noted for not doing so and still winning. I don't think it's possible to win a tournament or even do very well if you don't shffl.

Quote:
They could keep wavedashing in if they plan on it from the start and I'd be fine, but as it was in Melee bugged me.


I was apprehensive to make this claim before because I hardly ever get into this discussion, but I found the proof I needed to make it. Wavedashing wasn't "unintentional" in the sense that apparently they knew about it, but didn't seem to care about it. As this response to an interview question in the Nintendo Power May 2008 issue:

Nintendo Power wrote:
Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"
We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.


Sleet wrote:
I never worried about the stickers either, and was mostly referring to the characters, stages and the ability to make more stages.

Plus the awesome soundtrack.


I'd like the addition of characters and stages if they were playable. You simply can't play as captain falcon in Brawl because you'll lose to anybody who knows what they're doing, and that's no fun. I liked the idea of Pichu in Brawl. Too bad you couldn't actually use her.

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Some characters stayed more or less the same style, but Toon Link didn't change much more than, say, Luigi or Falco. I still consider them the same character despite the changes, since Toon Link is an obvious expy. But really this is all semantics. Every character changed in at least some way, so it's up to opinion who counts as the same, if anyone.


I disagree. The main characters I enjoyed playing in Melee were Jigglypuff, Young Link, Samus, and Luigi, in order of expertise. I was just starting to get fairly decent with Ganondorf and Zelda when Brawl came out.

The point being, I could pick up Luigi in Brawl and play him like in Melee, and despite a few tweaks, he was the same. You can pick up Jigglypuff and play her exactly the same as in melee (with the modification that you have to use Fair for the WoP instead of Bair like in Melee), it just won't work. It's the same also with Samus, she plays the same, she just sucks now. Toon Link? If you try to play Toon Link like you play Young Link, it doesn't work, because nothing about them is the same except for the basic bombs/boomerang/arrows special moves. And those don't work the same! Nothing about Toon Link works the same as Young Link. If they did, I wouldn't be complaining about it so hardcore.

The thing is, with those characters that "play the same except they suck now" the differences are basically their attacks don't cause hitstun because hitstun doesn't exist, and their damage percentages or hitboxes are different. But it's not just like that with Toon Link. His abilities don't work the same in any respect. Not even simple ones like his Dair or Nair.


Just to be clear to everyone, and you Sleet, I'm complaining, but I'm not like...angry. I'm not sitting here fuming because you don't understand my incredible knowledge or anything. :P


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Jeez, how many more walls of text will there be?

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
Jeez, how many more walls of text will there be?


All of them. :P


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:23 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Nintendo Power wrote:
Nintendo Power: This is one that a lot of hardcore Smash Bros. fans have long wondered about. Was the ablility to "Wavedash" in Melee intentional or a glitch?

Sakurai: Of course, we noticed that you could do that during the development period. With Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it wasn't a matter of, "OK, do we leave it in or do we take it out?"
We really just wanted this game, again, to appeal to and be played by gamers of all different levels. We felt that there was a growing gap between beginners and advanced players, and taking that out helps to level the playing field. It wasn't a big priority or anything, but when we were building the game around the idea of making it fair for everybody, it just made sense to take it out. And it also goes back to wanting to make something different from Melee and giving players the opportunity to find new things to enjoy.
That actually alleviates all my concerns with wavedashing. It's not often I respond to something with that.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
I'd like the addition of characters and stages if they were playable. You simply can't play as captain falcon in Brawl because you'll lose to anybody who knows what they're doing, and that's no fun. I liked the idea of Pichu in Brawl. Too bad you couldn't actually use her.
I see the roster and the character balance as different things, so I still think it's great that the weaker characters are there, while at the same time I can think it's lame that they're so weak. Like I said before, I enjoy Super Smash Bros. in both the "items-off hazardless stage test of skill" and "unpredictable party game" styles of play, so all the characters make the latter that much more fun, whereas the game balance does really hurt the former. In Melee, there was a dispute for the longest time who the highest-tiered character was. In Brawl, I don't think Meta Knight and Snake have left the #1 and #2 spots since the release. Melee suffered from overly defined tiers too, but not as bad as Brawl.

I'm a huge fan of Yoshi (as a character), so I think I've suffered more than anyone when it comes to unbalance. Sure, they may have ruined perfectly good characters like Jigglypuff, Fox and Pikachu in Melee and/or Brawl, but Yoshi was never good. The next game needs periodic balance patches. They can even hire a tournament veteran to oversee them.
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Just to be clear to everyone, and you Sleet, I'm complaining, but I'm not like...angry. I'm not sitting here fuming because you don't understand my incredible knowledge or anything. :P
Oh, I fully understand. I know what that guy is like, and if you were being that guy (or that girl) I would have already called you out on it. :3

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
I see the roster and the character balance as different things, so I still think it's great that the weaker characters are there, while at the same time I can think it's lame that they're so weak. Like I said before, I enjoy Super Smash Bros. in both the "items-off hazardless stage test of skill" and "unpredictable party game" styles of play, so all the characters make the latter that much more fun, whereas the game balance does really hurt the former. In Melee, there was a dispute for the longest time who the highest-tiered character was. In Brawl, I don't think Meta Knight and Snake have left the #1 and #2 spots since the release. Melee suffered from overly defined tiers too, but not as bad as Brawl.

I'm a huge fan of Yoshi (as a character), so I think I've suffered more than anyone when it comes to unbalance. Sure, they may have ruined perfectly good characters like Jigglypuff, Fox and Pikachu in Melee and/or Brawl, but Yoshi was never good. The next game needs periodic balance patches. They can even hire a tournament veteran to oversee them.


Yeah, I rarely enjoy Smash Bros as a party game. Once a year maybe I'll play with friends where we all have 100 stock and bobombs are turned up at the highest setting or something, but that doesn't happen very often.

In Melee the tiers change a lot. Jigglypuff is currently Top Teir in Melee, when she never used to be before. It usually did stick around to Falco, Fox, and Shiek being high placed, and they still are.

But with Brawl, it's like...not even a question. There's Snake, and then there's Metaknight, and then there's everybody else. It's really obvious with Snake. Snake's forward tilt is more powerful than Ganondorf's entire moveset.

There do exist mods and hacks to balance or change the game. My friends play Brawl+ over Brawl. While it's much better on the balance front, it still sticks with the same physics, so it's still not as enjoyable to me as melee. There still is the problem of edgehogging being useless and auto-sweet spotting ruining grappling, and auto-L-Cancelling and stuff. But at least the characters are a bit better.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:42 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Snake is particularly bad because he's awesome at all skill levels. He's easy to pick up as a newbie, effective in duels and in free-for-alls, and the second-highest ranked character at the most competitive level. At least Meta Knight sucks until you learn how to use him...

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?



I liked 1 and 2. Chain of Memories I started, decided I didn't like it, and stopped, and I'm totally uninterested in hearing more about organization 13 so I'm not going to go out and play anymore spinoffs. I'll wait for Kingdom Hearts 3.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?
I've had Kingdom Hearts 2 since it came out, but I haven't played it yet. I made a deal with my friend that I'd play it if he beat Tales of Symphonia. He still hasn't.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?
I've had Kingdom Hearts 2 since it came out, but I haven't played it yet. I made a deal with my friend that I'd play it if he beat Tales of Symphonia. He still hasn't.

You're really missing out.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I'm aware, but I'm also extremely stubborn and really want my friend to finish Tales of Symphonia.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?



I liked 1 and 2. Chain of Memories I started, decided I didn't like it, and stopped, and I'm totally uninterested in hearing more about organization 13 so I'm not going to go out and play anymore spinoffs. I'll wait for Kingdom Hearts 3.

I can understand not wanting to play 358/2, coded, re:coded etc. But not playing BBS would be a dissearvice to yourself, it's a great game.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm
Posts: 483
Location: Bork, Bork, Bork! (Sweden)
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
So, who else here enjoys the Kingdom Hearts series?

Being that I played a lot of Disney games on older consoles growing up, Kingdom Hearts 1 was like a blast to the past. I loved everything about it, from the characters I met, to the combat system, to the confusing and mysterious story. Probably the best series on the Playstation 2.

Kingdom Hearts 2 forced the Roxas tutorial on me, which really annoys me. The turnaments were moved to the much less scenic underworld, with much less variety. Boss fights were awesome though, and I loved all the new worlds, weapons and additions. Each day I consider going back to replay it, but then I consider the 3 hour tutorial and I'm like nah...

Chain of Memories. The black sheep of the whole lot, but I still found fun in it. I haven't been able to try the Re: version yet.

358/2 Days never caught with me. Running around in areas I've already been in, doing 'recon' and fighting generic heartless. Leveling system isn't fun. Just not a gem in my eyes.

Birth by Sleep. Finally back to the old formula of world traveling and kicking baddies! Hey, wait a minute... These worlds are all very barren! Each character is restricted to a part of each world during a playthrough. You essentially have to beat the game 3 times to really have beaten it. Just with different characters. Good story, worth checking out; It explains a lot about why things were the way they were in the other Kingdom Hearts games. How Xemnas was created, where castle oblivion came from, why the keyblade chose Sora.

EDIT: Also, my favorite/best Brawl character is Sheik/Zelda. The combination of speed with Sheik and long range attacks with Zelda is perfect for me.
But I always play games with random turned on, for all NPCs and Players.

_________________
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?


Last edited by Esquire Fox on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Dubiousity wrote:
I can understand not wanting to play 358/2, coded, re:coded etc. But not playing BBS would be a dissearvice to yourself, it's a great game.


Is it? I sort of automatically assume that a PSP game is awful.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm
Profile
Juicy Wolf-Cat
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am
Posts: 2350
Location: Richardson Valley
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I'm the kinda guy who plays with items turned up to very high, mess with the damage ratio, and use random for the stage select. I'm the kinda guy who likes crits and bullet spread in TF2, and the kinda guy who can jump into random L4D2 Versus game matches and still have fun.

I'm the kinda guy who plays to have fun and hijinks, and where losing can be just as fun as winning, and randomness leads to crazy laughs and fun moments.

I tried comp play in a variety of games...TF2, L4D2, and I have played MeleenoitemsfinaldestinationFOXONLY and to be honest, yes, it can be fun, but not nearly as fun as good 'ol havin' fun and just playing.

IMO. I just like the hijinks that games can give, rather than the skill. :P

Ask me about rail shooters, though...

_________________
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
I can understand not wanting to play 358/2, coded, re:coded etc. But not playing BBS would be a dissearvice to yourself, it's a great game.


Is it? I sort of automatically assume that a PSP game is awful.

No, it's a really good game!

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:19 am
Posts: 806
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
So I guess this is the place to talk about Sonic hacks and such.

I'm super excited because the demo for Sonic Fan Remix is finally coming out this week. It looks awesome.


Edit: Aaaand, it's out! It's pretty awesome.


Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:13 am
Posts: 5257
Location: Someone save me from Jersey
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I usually don't play hacks/mods.

_________________
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012


Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 am
Profile
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Wolf wrote:
Who else here has an Xbox360?

Lets put down our game tags! (Note: I'll only put everybody elses gamertag on a list.)

Mine: Connorth (was originally supposed to be ConNorth, but a typo ruined it.)

Dubiousity - DubiousDeicide
Sleet - SnowFox7

I do have an Xbox live account but I would not ever touch it again, its just too risky to deal with Microsoft.


Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 am
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Wait, what?

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:56 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 am
Posts: 174
Location: Behind you.
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
What do you mean by "risky?" Yeah, Microsoft is a cheap corporation, but what makes Xbox Live risky? o_O

_________________
Sinder wrote:
So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(


Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 am
Profile
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
I meant; all the questions they ask such as your real name and address and more, payment accounts, their charges they can pin on you, and their terms and conditions were horrifying. I should have never made that account so I am just going to wait until January for my temporary subscription to end and then I am never doing to touch Xbox live again.

Added: Nintendo never asked anything for Wi-Fi so I love Nintendo.


Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 am
Bringing Foxy Back
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Posts: 15428
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Well all they really charge you is the annual fee, and then any extra if you want to buy Microsoft points.

If Nintendo offered the kind of online Microsoft does, I'd gladly pay them for their Wi-Fi.

_________________
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!


Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:08 am
Profile WWW
Post Re: Discussion: Video Games
Sleet wrote:
Well all they really charge you is the annual fee, and then any extra if you want to buy Microsoft points.

If Nintendo offered the kind of online Microsoft does, I'd gladly pay them for their Wi-Fi.

Nintendo provides Wi-Fi for FREE! If Nintendo (a much smaller and weaker company than Microsoft) can why doesn't Microsoft?

PS - Two new games will be out soon that I really want; one tomorrow and the other next friday. I can't wait!!! XD


Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 5909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 148  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
  • Advertisement
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.