Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dubiousity

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I'm so excited~

Thankfully that'll be more than enough time to be done with Paper Mario: Sticker Star and anything else I'll be playing/reading until then.
There's also Luigi's Mansion 2 not too long after that, along with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but you don't play Monster Hunter.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah I'll just stick to Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. I can't play too many video games these days, anyway.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
exranio

Post by exranio »

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core + (becuase update numbers are for chumps) finally came out on PS3 yesterday.

So, Let's Rock!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Yeah I'll just stick to Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. I can't play too many video games these days, anyway.
Actually you can, you just choose not to.
Leopard97

Post by Leopard97 »

I'm totally getting Fire Emblem Awakening, Monster Hunters, and probably Luigis mansion dark moon
If you have a 3DS pm me your fc and I'll give you mine.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I've been working on giving my collection a more uniform feel by making boxes for loose cartridges.
Recently, I finally gathered all the supplies I needed to make boxes for a few of my GBA games.

There is a wonderful website out there called The Cover Project that supplies user uploaded covers.
These covers are made from scans of the original retail box, so it gives the nostalgia of being in a game store picking a game.
These can be printed on legal size paper, but that wouldn't produce a very convincing cover.
Instead, I imported A4 size glossy photo paper from Sweden, which mimics the look of professionally printed game covers.

The cases used are official Nintendo DS cases.
I acquire these through close connections with local GameStops, that typically throw away the cases.
To complicate matters, GameStop gets its own cheap knockoff cases and there is a newer official model without the GBA slot.

By modifying the DS case, you can also store GameBoy and GameBoy Color titles.
This requires some of the plastic to be cut off from the case, something I haven't had the chance to try yet.
The website also supplies covers for Universal Game Cases, which hold N64 and SNES games and can be modified to hold NES games.

By the end of next year, I hope to have my entire collection of loose carts neatly boxed.
That's over 400 NES, 200 SNES, 50 N64, 100 GBA, and 50 GB/C cartridges.
It will be quite the project, but it should look fantastic when it is done.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

That is so cool! I've got one tub with all my old GameBoy games from every generation, and another, larger tub with all the cardboard boxes. I don't know why I don't throw them away, but now I could get replacements that I could actually use.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

So Dark Souls 2 was just announced at the VGAs last night.

I think it's pretty safe to say that at this point in time my life is complete and I can die happy.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Nyaliva wrote:That is so cool! I've got one tub with all my old GameBoy games from every generation, and another, larger tub with all the cardboard boxes. I don't know why I don't throw them away, but now I could get replacements that I could actually use.
You should keep the boxes, they could be worth something later on. People always through them out, damage them, or lose them making them a rare find at times. And from what I understand, a lot of collectors pay big money for the rarest ones.
Panda Panda Panda
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I still have the majority of my old Gameboy boxes in a drawer under my bed. As well as my Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and Gameboy Advance SP boxes themselves. Most of the games are actually missing at this point, though. Which isn't terribly helpful.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Most of the time, the boxes are worth significantly more than the games that come in them.
That's only the case for cardboard boxes though since people tend to keep the plastic boxes.
It still baffles me when I come across loose Sega Genesis games.
- Esquire Fox

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Esquire Fox wrote:It still baffles me when I come across loose Sega Genesis games.
I actually have a box of those under my bed at home. I guess I baffle you.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I hate loose games. I was really happy when the DS had nice boxes, 'cause my GBA games were all out in the open. Then I was happy once I finally owned as many DS games as I had GBA games, because then I could put my GBA games in DS cases.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Esquire Fox wrote: By the end of next year, I hope to have my entire collection of loose carts neatly boxed.
That's over 400 NES, 200 SNES, 50 N64, 100 GBA, and 50 GB/C cartridges.
It will be quite the project, but it should look fantastic when it is done.
Jeez, isn't that a bit of an excessive amount of games?
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Dubiousity wrote: Jeez, isn't that a bit of an excessive amount of games?
For a serious collection, this is pretty average. I have about half of the existing NES titles.
The ultimate goal is a complete NES collection with all the SNES and N64 games I care about.
Though I collect for every system, I keep it all cleaned, organized and shelved neatly.

I don't have time to play games a lot of the time, but when I do, it is an absolute blast.
- Esquire Fox

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

http://www.gamezone.com/products/dark-s ... rstandable

Two new people are directing the sequel to two of my favorite games of all time, and they want to make it less subtle and more direct with the story. The thing that made Demon's and Dark Souls so atmospheric was that everything was subtle and not obvious, that you had to speculate and come to your own conclusions. It also seems like they might make the game easier too.

With this and the "CoDification" of Dead Space 3, I'm really starting to lose faith in gaming. Not even my favorites are sacred.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dubiousity wrote:http://www.gamezone.com/products/dark-s ... rstandable

Two new people are directing the sequel to two of my favorite games of all time, and they want to make it less subtle and more direct with the story. The thing that made Demon's and Dark Souls so atmospheric was that everything was subtle and not obvious, that you had to speculate and come to your own conclusions. It also seems like they might make the game easier too.

With this and the "CoDification" of Dead Space 3, I'm really starting to lose faith in gaming. Not even my favorites are sacred.
Online co-op is good. Making a highly-anticipated sequel of a game whose previous series entries were released on PS3, 360 AND PC and suddenly making it 360-only with Kinect and voice control is going to tick off a lot of interested people. Including me.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I discovered the other night that I have about 78 bucks worth of Gamestop gift cards that I shoved in one of my drawers last Christmas and forgot about. Guess who's going on a shopping spree in the near future. :D
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Tha Housefox wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:http://www.gamezone.com/products/dark-s ... rstandable

Online co-op is good. Making a highly-anticipated sequel of a game whose previous series entries were released on PS3, 360 AND PC and suddenly making it 360-only with Kinect and voice control is going to tick off a lot of interested people. Including me.
What are you talking about? Both games I mentioned are completely multiplatform.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Just saw RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam. I know it's not literally a videogame making program like Frooxius says, but what i like about these things is if you want to try making a story through a videogame, these things really help out. I'm going to give this a shot on it's free trial right now and consider purchasing it someday when i'm done playing games in general. (Likely next year)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Anyone have any recommendations on good Atlus published games? I find that I always enjoy the style and presentation of the games they publish.
I know of the popular ones such as Persona and Odin Sphere, but there are some great obscure ones out there as well. Particularly on the PSP and DS.
- Esquire Fox

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Don't know much about Atlus for the portables, but I recommend Metal Slug XX and the Demon summoner series. I heard there was a DS version of Disgaea too, but i can't find it anywhere.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Flint loves that series and has poured endless amounts of hours into it. We have all the games and the spin-offs (Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom).
I can't quite make the time commitment to play them myself, but I thoroughly enjoy watching and listening to Flint play it while I am doing something else.
But that's actually a Nippon Ichi Software (NIS) game, not an Atlus game XD

So to broaden the question, how are some of NIS' other games?
I've been looking at Sakura Wars, Ar Tonelico, Atelier Iris, and Hyperdimension Neptunia.
They all seem interesting and I even have some of the Ar Tonelico and Atelier Iris games that I got for cheap.
- Esquire Fox

KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

So, among other things, I finally bought Pokemon SoulSilver.

Only problem is that, since I haven't used it in such a long time, my DS is dead and my charger is nowhere to be found. Blargh.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You might be able to find a used one cheap?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

KJOokami wrote:So, among other things, I finally bought Pokemon SoulSilver.

Only problem is that, since I haven't used it in such a long time, my DS is dead and my charger is nowhere to be found. Blargh.
I have HeartGold. The remakes of the Johto region just made me happy in general.

My DS is suffering from the symptoms of "it's been charged too many times and the battery drains like nobody's business." It's... four or five years old? So it's about that time.
~
Why did I ever trade in Nintendogs? I miss that game so much. It's selling for $10 used right now. I might just buy it again.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

My DS still seems to work alright in terms of battery although it sometimes doesn't recognise there's a game in the darn thing. Still, it lasted me at least 5 years before i got my 3DS.

I really want Leaf Green and Soul Silver but I haven't found them cheap enough for me to bother, considering I have Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Crystal.

Also, Esquire Fox, I just saw that picture of your games again and, I don't know how I missed them the first time, but I saw both GBA Golden Sun games and both GBA Klonoa games...
Um...could we be, like, best friends?

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Beagle wrote: My DS is suffering from the symptoms of "it's been charged too many times and the battery drains like nobody's business." It's... four or five years old? So it's about that time.
You can get that replaced for a measly $3.50 with the help of your friends over in China.
Nyaliva wrote:Also, Esquire Fox, I just saw that picture of your games again and, I don't know how I missed them the first time, but I saw both GBA Golden Sun games and both GBA Klonoa games...
Ashamed to admit I haven't gotten around to playing the GBA Klonoa titles. The main series console titles are fantastic though!
Now, wouldn't it be great if Namco made an official Klonoa webcomic?
- Esquire Fox

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Esquire Fox wrote:Klonoa webcomic?
*GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP*

This...is...AWESOME!!!!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nyaliva wrote:My DS still seems to work alright in terms of battery although it sometimes doesn't recognise there's a game in the darn thing. Still, it lasted me at least 5 years before i got my 3DS.

I really want Leaf Green and Soul Silver but I haven't found them cheap enough for me to bother, considering I have Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold and Crystal.

Also, Esquire Fox, I just saw that picture of your games again and, I don't know how I missed them the first time, but I saw both GBA Golden Sun games and both GBA Klonoa games...
How cheap is "cheap enough"? 'Cause I can't imagine LeafGreen would cost all that much.

It's an excellent remake, by the way.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I actually haven't seen LeafGreen at all, none of the game stores near me stock anything older than DS games. :( But by cheap enough I mean not so much that I feel I could spend my money better, such as get a game I've never played before or otherwise put more money towards an expensive game I want more. I'm the kind of person who has maybe $100 a year to spend on games for myself and so I take forever to choose how I want to spend it best.
Sleet wrote:It's an excellent remake, by the way.
Sweet, I'll keep it in mind. :)

I'm on DeviantArt now!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I just bought pokemon white 2...too bad I lost the genesect event.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really keep up with the legendary events, myself. I don't let myself use Pokémon with base stat totals over 580 (580 is where the legendary trios typically are, for reference), and even if I did I don't like most of the newer legendaries anyway. Add to that the fact that I don't try to catch 'em all, there's not much use in those events to me.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I honestly don't like the legendary events, since that means you can't catch them all unless you dedicate yourself to going to all the events. Pokemon is supposed to be fun, and going to the store or some random location for every event isn't worth it to me.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm kinda of a collector when it comes to pokemon. It took me a long time (173 hours of gameplay) to fill the pokedex of Soul silver along with everything the game had to offer.
I don't use legendaries that much anymore (back in pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C I used to have 2 legendaries minimun in my party). But I like collecting them.
Last edited by angelusbr on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I recently started playing my old Pokemon Red again and seeing all the names I gave my Pokemon brought back nice memories. I never originally gave my Pokemon nicknames but when I replayed it I decided to give them all proper people names.

Also, I played at the Celadon Slot Machines and I got a really lucky one, which I don't remember ever getting when I was a kid.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Zukio wrote:I honestly don't like the legendary events, since that means you can't catch them all unless you dedicate yourself to going to all the events. Pokemon is supposed to be fun, and going to the store or some random location for every event isn't worth it to me.
It was fun back when Pokémon was huge and Mew was the only event Pokémon, 'cause those were big social events and a lot of fun. Nowadays it's less fun.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I like Pokemon because i liked how the rival scenario was setup in the first one. I also enjoyed fighting the last boss as my rival with the Pokemon i collect along the way and train and go straight for him. It was just a very addictive journey to enjoy and I could replay it numerous times thinking this.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I'm currently looking for a copy of EarthBound on Ebay. If anyone here on the forums has a copy they don't have anymore....
... Can I have it... please?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

so, did anybody hear play Spec Ops: The Line? I really, really want to find somebody American who played this game 'til the end. I feel I didn't get the full experience due to being English, considering the game is all about killing American soldiers whom you don't know are good or evil. It felt wrong, but I can imagine it'd feel even worse if they're the same nationality as you.