Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

DigitalBrave3

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by DigitalBrave3 »

Nope, but I have the Game Grumps YouTube channel in another tab, about to watch their video on Sonic Dreams Collection.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I have the Steam Train playthrough in a bookmark. it takes me a while to get to longer videos in my system of watching youtube.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Sleet wrote:Also: This Splatoon comic is super adorable. <3
I thought certainly you would have posted Savestate. :lol:
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

So, I heard that Capcom is going to remake Resident Evil 2.
I have never played it, but I've been wanting to after hearing many people say that it's the best one.

I've only played the Resident Evil games released on the Gamecube.
Panda Panda Panda
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

2 and 3 were the best ones, though 3 didn't seem to be ported properly, the keyboard controls were somehow clunkier than 2.

as for console, I only played the original version of RE1. I lost interest in console games during the later days of the playstation's run, on account of rental game stores being pretymuch gone by then.

games I could burn through in a week had a lot less appeal when i had to pay more than a $5 rental fee...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Buster wrote:as for console, I only played the original version of RE1. I lost interest in console games during the later days of the playstation's run, on account of rental game stores being pretymuch gone by then.
You should definitely play the RE1 Remake, then.

The original was great as well, but the Remake just went beyond what made the original so good. The original will still have the classic tunes, but the Remake has the zombies, the difficulty, the choice of weapons, and while not my cup of tea for these things - the graphics.

What i don't like about the RE2 and RE3 remake is it won't be run by the same guy. I'm worried they will make it worse, but here's hoping they don't and keep it the way it always was with everything being updated.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Lets not forget better aiming methods on the remake Cobra. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Saturn381 wrote:So has anyone seen videos (or at least reaction videos) of Sonic Dreams Collection yet?
alright, that was... a thing.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:So has anyone seen videos (or at least reaction videos) of Sonic Dreams Collection yet?
alright, that was... a thing.
It was way past cool, wasn't it?
Panda Panda Panda
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Touhou 15 is out today! Yay~

I'm gonna try it out, but I have to share one of the characters here. The story this time revolves around the Moon, and Stage 5's boss is this.

The creator, ZUN, personified the USA flag on the Moon, and made her a court jester who is also a hell fairy who has the power to turn people mad.

Her name? Clownpiece.

Her theme? Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner.

Apparently her design is based around the USA flag and also the legend of Lampades, the Underworld nymphs in Greek mythology that serves Hecate, the Greek goddess of the moon and witchcraft who is also a boss in this game in the form of Hecatia Lapislazuli

This is why I love Touhou lore.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

So the U.S. is the villain? :|
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no, just the flag on the moon. years in direct sunlight unfiltered by atmosphere would turn anyone into a villain.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

And also bleached white.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Yeah, specifically the US flag planted on the surface of the moon, not the country herself. Though, the power to turn people mad is not confirmed yet, because translations are a bit soddy atm. I think ZUN didn't use the bleached white colour either because he didn't know that fact or because he is using the original colours of the flag. Seeing it's an embodiment and all that

She does however fling mini-moons at you in her bullet patterns, so there's that.

EDIT: So I played the game on Easy and cleared it. Oh my God, Clownpiece is so darn difficult! She shoots lasers at you non-stop! I think I died like 50 times in her stage alone =w= The power to turn people mad is kinda true, because in the first time in so many years playing this series, I rage-quit

Fun game, but very difficult, even for someone who's familiar with the Touhou system like me

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hype:

Big Hero 6 is going to be in KH3. With a Heartless Baymax.

http://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-iii-is ... 1724423205

I'm expecting Robo from Chrono Trigger fighting Mechanics for Heartless Baymax. Eeeeee X3
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

All we need now is a hairy baby reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNntjkLoNI
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Here's a shocker - The Big Hero 6 world, according to some more news, is set after Big Hero 6. This is actually awesome and exciting. Disney usually doesn't do this. :3
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

GameCobra wrote:Here's a shocker - The Big Hero 6 world, according to some more news, is set after Big Hero 6. This is actually awesome and exciting. Disney usually doesn't do this. :3
Actually, they did do that already. In KH1 and 2, the events that happen in Hercules's world takes place after the movie.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The Hercules world seems to be Square Enix's playground I find, but the movie references didn't kick in until the second game. Like the fight against Hades.

This, however, is completely new material. something Disney can't say "We have to have this scene from the movie in this cutscene or it won't work"
TheBlasterizer

Post by TheBlasterizer »

I don't know if anyone here knows borderlands, but I just played through the newest Tales chapter, and I am completely speechless...
My DA can be found Here!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

TheBlasterizer wrote:I don't know if anyone here knows borderlands, but I just played through the newest Tales chapter, and I am completely speechless...
I do! I'm waiting until my brother and I can get together since I play through it while he watches. Tales has been one of favorite Telltale games so far.

Edit: Played, and yeah, wow. That was a good chapter...and very sad. Still really funny too, but also sad.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

GameCobra wrote:Hype:

Big Hero 6 is going to be in KH3. With a Heartless Baymax.

http://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-iii-is ... 1724423205

I'm expecting Robo from Chrono Trigger fighting Mechanics for Heartless Baymax. Eeeeee X3
I LOVE THIS! I really really really REALLY want a Treasure Planet world. I'm gonna be sad if they don't add one.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Ooh, vidya games.

So besides the ever-constant struggles that are MOBAs, I'm currently on a Persona kick right now. While it wasn't like I was unfamiliar with 3 and 4, it's actually only just recently that I actually started playing them. The Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem crossover that's coming out in the relatively near future got the games back on my radar, and on a whim I ended up downloading P3 FES and P4 from PSN. Currently working my way through P3 first before I head to P4 - and have to say I really enjoy the game so far. If I had to nitpick, it'd be that the social link system can be somewhat... arbitrary is the wrong word, but some social links are like yeah, boring whatever just give me the next rank, while others seem to have more impact and are much more interesting. Some of the story revelations seem a bit obvious - for example:

From day 1, there's a phase tracker for the moon, Pharos and Elizabeth repeatedly warn you about ordeals before the full moon, but it takes three full moon events before any of the other cast members actually make a connection. I know silent protagonist and all, but you'd think with what was on the line, he'd share at least some knowledge of the situation.

The other gripes would be it can be a bit grindy and your AI party members can be utterly stupid at times (for those who haven't played, you can give allies tactical commands, but their actual decision-making is up to the AI - to give an example, one member of my team has a spell that dispels 'charm', a status effect that causes your allies to heal enemies/hurt allies. Despite this, she refuses to ever use the thing, even when ordered to Heal/Support preferring to heal the slightest amount of HP lost than get rid of the very annoying effect) and that if you fall, you lose, no matter what the status of the other party members, meaning if the enemy AI chooses to gang up on you and gets lucky, it can be game over.

Really though, despite all that I just said, I love the game - the Persona fusion system has some cool strategy attached to it, gameplay is enjoyable once you get the hang of it (despite the occasional grind), the story is really engaging, and the main characters are fairly interesting and likable.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Figured i'd bring this up, since FNAF came up in another thread.

I like the series for it's characters and lore, but can't stand it's game mechanics. they come so close to being a game i would like only to fumble the ball at the 5 yard line.

Problem one: why can't i move? this is silly, guards often need to patrol to do their jobs. it would have been super easy to work the characters actually moving into the game from a story standpoint.

Problem two: oh look, yet another defenseless horror protagonist... ugh... here we go...

I've never been able to get into jumpscare-base horror games. they don't work for me because i'm not wired like their target audience. see, that mechanic relies on one's instinctive fight or flight response to a threat jumping out at you being 'escape' because that's the only option most games like that give you. (though some go FNAF's route and just end the game right there.) Problem is, mine is more often than not not default not to 'escape' but 'smash it in the face', which makes the lack of options not so much scary as immersion breaking.

When it comes to those kind of games, if i don't have the option of fighting back in any way, it feels fake. That said there are horror games i can get into, and they all have one thing in common, you're being hunted by something that you can fight, but it doesn't matter. You can light it on fire, smash it to pieces, throw everything you have at it, and it just keeps coming. None of it mattered. worse you don't know when it will be back, and because running away isn't the only option some times you have to fight it off but you can't because you wasted the supplies earlier.

The best example I can think of right now is the Xenomorph.

That thing is terrifying, not because it can pop out of nowhere, but because it keeps coming back no matter what I throw at it. I wind up having to fight against my own instincts and not attack it, because I know I'm going to need those supplies I waste in doing so, somewhere else.

Having that futile choice just works so much better than always running and hiding so I don't understand why more games don't do that...

:|
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I just don't do horror stuffs in general. And whenever a Youtube video is about to use that jumpscare part of the animatronics, I just scroll down immediately. I hate jumpscares!

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

I understand the feeling, Buster. You've probably seen the video, but Egoraptor talks about it a bit in his whole Megaman X Sequelitis episode (if not, here), where your first encounter against one of the main bosses you don't have any idea how much damage you deal until you inevitably lose, but still otherwise fight him like you would any other boss. You're still in active gameplay mode, but you still get the feeling of helplessness conveyed as opposed to just inexplicably losing all power to fight back because reasons. Going back to the series I'm playing right now, Persona (what, I want to talk about it), one of it's anti-grinding features is a boss known as the Reaper - stay too long in any one part of the dungeon or activate a trigger (you'll be warned about them), and the Reaper will come. You can fight it - you're almost all but certain to lose, but you can fight it. It just has fairly high health, the top level spells of every element of the game and pretty much resists or negates everything defensively.

It's only when you've reached the point of the game where you're basically fighting against the apocalypse you accidentally triggered - where death seems inevitable but you've decided to fight against it anyway, that you start to reach the power levels necessary to fight the Reaper and have a shot at winning, which is a nice little segue between story and gameplay.

I too think that the FNAF series has made an intriguing universe, but having watched LPs of it, the gameplay never really interested me much. Just look here, then over there, then over there, et cetera et cetera.

That said, the helplessness effect can lead to artificial frustration when you can outclass an enemy that you aren't 'supposed' to win against story-wise until plot point. I remember an old game I had - we're talking just after release PS2 era - where you controlled a giant robot and fought giant alien robots Pacific Rim-style (like a dozen years before Pacific Rim was a thing) with the unique mechanic of piloting it from the perspective of a person on the street - or as was pretty much required, on the rooftop of a building close enough to see but far enough away that the building wouldn't get destroyed in the fighting. It was fun and underrated and... oh yeah, the point!

There were a couple annoying chapters that had this 'no sell' effect going on. In one case, you face an enemy robot that still takes damage from your attacks - but until you get the plot related power up, will not show any damage as taken (the robots would start to smoke and spark when they were heavily damaged), nor can it be destroyed. And of course, you only get the plot related power up when you start losing. But at that point I'd started to master using my giant robot, and effectively smacked down the enemy for a good ten, fifteen minutes until I'd taken the damage required to activate the powerup. At which point the enemy robot turning into a smoking wreck that took a tap of my robot's finger to go boom. Not because the powerup was so powerful, but because I'd utterly crushed it beforehand. The same 'type' of enemy comes up later as a more recurring opponent, and none of them ever took that class of beating.

Same thing with another chapter later on - the challenge of the scenario is that it's a 3v1 - but all 3 of the enemies are mooks that you otherwise way outclass at this point of the game, so I had little trouble mopping the floor with the 3 of them (hilariously, while the 'newscast' part of the game was describing how I was 'desperately struggling them'). But we need to introduce a plot point, so none of the enemies fall. Sure enough, eventually a backup allied robot comes out of nowhere to help you, after which point I destroyed 2 of the 3 within about 15 seconds of each other, and had the last kill stolen from me about 20 seconds later by the new guy. Yes, I know you want to advance the plot, but through frustrating me in gameplay is not the way to do it.

Still loved the game though. But then again, giant robots are my thing.
RP chars:
ShadowLightning

I actually sorta like the whole idea of a defenseless protagonist in horror games. It gives it more of a horror-movie feel, and you can't just dilly-dally around and think you can outrun him either. Your actions are limited to either hiding, or tricking him by setting up traps or sorts.

Like Haunting Ground. While Fiona can fight back on her own against her stalkers, it takes a lot out of her and tires her out. And trust me, in a game where you don't have a visible health bar, you're gonna want to save your strength and only use it as a last resort. She also has Hewie, a dog she meets at the start of the game. Hewie does most of the attacking and distracts the enemies while Fiona runs and hides. And just like Fiona, he doesn't have a health bar, so you can't keep telling him to attack and attack, especially since your stalkers can and will kill him if you don't tell him to run too. Fiona can also set up traps, but you'll use up supplies and materials, which, unless you've been searching every nook and cranny of the game, are very limited and are all one-time use.

But the best/scariest thing about the game, is the panic meter. Which is also invisible. Fiona can suffer from distress whenever she sees anything that scares her, such as seeing blood, weird life-like looking dolls that have missing limbs, or when one of her stalkers start chasing her. It doesn't just mess her up in the head, it messes with the player as well. The controller starts shaking, the screen gets all distorted, it really makes you feel what she's feeling in that situation. The more distressed she gets, the worse the game's graphics get. And when she finally snaps, the entire game goes black and white, she screams as the screen gets all distorted, and you hear her heartbeat go faster and faster. If the stalker gets her while she's in this state, it's pretty much game over. And let me tell you, the game over screens are BRUTAL. You don't really see what happens, but you can hear it. Brrr...
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CosmicCoyote wrote:That said, the helplessness effect can lead to artificial frustration when you can outclass an enemy that you aren't 'supposed' to win against story-wise until plot point.
In a horror game though, you will never outclass the enemy, and if it's made properly the turning point you mention will never come. because that's not the point.
ShadowLightning wrote:Like Haunting Ground. While Fiona can fight back on her own against her stalkers, it takes a lot out of her and tires her out. And trust me, in a game where you don't have a visible health bar, you're gonna want to save your strength and only use it as a last resort. She also has Hewie, a dog she meets at the start of the game. Hewie does most of the attacking and distracts the enemies while Fiona runs and hides. And just like Fiona, he doesn't have a health bar, so you can't keep telling him to attack and attack, especially since your stalkers can and will kill him if you don't tell him to run too. Fiona can also set up traps, but you'll use up supplies and materials, which, unless you've been searching every nook and cranny of the game, are very limited and are all one-time use.
That's kinda my point though, You have that choice. It's futile, it will likely get you killed, but it's there. What I meant by helpless isn't the ones who don't stand a chance, it's the ones that can't do anything futile or otherwise, but run. Instead of there being no point to fighting back you're just never even given that option. Games where for all intents and purposes the character is less a person and more like a camera, flashlight, and pair of running shoes that are somehow moving in sync with one another and can make frightened noises.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

CosmicCoyote wrote:But at that point I'd started to master using my giant robot, and effectively smacked down the enemy for a good ten, fifteen minutes until I'd taken the damage required to activate the powerup. At which point the enemy robot turning into a smoking wreck that took a tap of my robot's finger to go boom. Not because the powerup was so powerful, but because I'd utterly crushed it beforehand.
I'm not sure to what degree of a gamer that you are, and how much experience you had at the time of that game, but it can be quite tough to set a universal difficulty level for all players. Make it too easy and you appeal to the casual crowd, but then the game becomes too easy for the more hardcore gamers. Make it too hard in an attempt to appeal to the hardcore gamers, and suddenly you're pushing away the casual players.

It's a balancing act that can be quite tough to get right, even with selectable difficulties. I have a PS2 game called Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. It's a flying combat game that's just the right cross between simulation and arcade. When I first got the game... a lot of years ago (when it was still new), I couldn't beat it. I couldn't even get halfway through it, and that was on the lowest difficulty. Eventually, due to poor care, the disk became too scratched to be read and I had no way of continuing to play it.

Then about three or four years ago I found a used disk of it in good condition and instantly bought it. I started a new game on the lowest difficulty and breezed through it in two or three days I think. So I skipped right to the hard difficulty and played it through again with no troubles. To my surprise, this unlocked an "expert" difficulty. So I played that and beat it, which again unlocked another difficulty, Ace. So, for the fourth time in like, two weeks, I played through the game again with no troubles. The game had literally gone from impossible in easy mode for me to even the double unlockable difficulty not being a challenge.

I think most of this is because, in addition to maturing (plus finding and playing a different Ace Combat game), I also played a PC aerial combat simulator type of game that proved to give me a deadly advantage when I could apply the real world flying physics to the more arcade style weapons (and lack of a fuel limit :P). But to make a difficulty that would actually be tough for me would have probably been too tough. I mean, the damage you receive in Ace mode is already crazy and if the enemies were any tougher to hit, you'd have to spend too long waiting to line up a shot because your weapons have a limit to what they can track, regardless of your skill.

Do I wish the game was tougher? Yes. Do I fault it for not being so? No. I see why they cut the difficulty where they did. I have to say though, it's pretty satisfying to know I've become so good that nothing in the game phazes me. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Buster wrote:In a horror game though, you will never outclass the enemy, and if it's made properly the turning point you mention will never come. because that's not the point.
True enough.
JeffCvt wrote:I'm not sure to what degree of a gamer that you are, and how much experience you had at the time of that game, but it can be quite tough to set a universal difficulty level for all players. Make it too easy and you appeal to the casual crowd, but then the game becomes too easy for the more hardcore gamers. Make it too hard in an attempt to appeal to the hardcore gamers, and suddenly you're pushing away the casual players.
...my first console was an NES. Mind you, it was dated by the time I got it, but still. Then a Genesis, then a PlayStation, and have more or less stuck with Sony since. I still even have a backwards-compatible PS3, so I have a not-so-small library of games going from the PS1 era I can just pop in and play. So uh... point taken, I suppose. (Also, quit making me feel old.) Still, limiting gameplay for the plot's sake arbitrarily is generally a no-no in my book.

Ace Combat 5 was fun, but I preferred 4 (probably nostalgia, but also for how they did the story) and Zero (for the Ace mechanic).
RP chars:
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Oh, you've played through all (or at least a bunch) of the Ace combat games? I want to SO bad because they all take place in the same world and each "build" on the previous wars and story and stuff (From what I can tell). 4 was actually the other Ace Combat game I played and to be honest, I liked 5 better from a story standpoint. Instead of following two kids who get to know your enemy, YOU are actually the center of it. Then again, that's probably nostalgia on my part because despite not being able to beat it, I LOVED the story and how they did everything in the first half of the game when I was young.

What I really want to play is Ace Combat 6 and, if they exist, 7, 8, ect. I loved the gameplay of 5 and I'd like to see how it improved. I duno how long the games went on or if they maybe still continue. Since I'm stuck at a PS2, I don't really pay attention to gaming news much.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

I enjoy the series, but actually, those 3 are the only ones I've played. I'd have liked to played 6, but it was Xbox 360-exclusive, which I did not have. Still, what I've seen of the cutscenes links it to 4, 5 and Zero. Of the first 3, I know a little, but have never played in full. The first was originally an arcade game, ported to consoles, and the third was supposedly more sci-fi. 2 was remade under a different name for the 3DS, but I haven't played it either. I've heard it's set on the same continent as 4 and has links, so I would have liked to. Assault Horizon (what would be 7, I suppose, if they hadn't done away with numbering - and 8 if you want to count Zero as technically installment 6) uses the same gameplay mechanics as the last few ACs, but for some inexplicable reason they did away with the world setting and put it on plain old boring Earth, which is a major disappointment, because from what I've seen, it gets all Call of Duty story-wise. Shame.

If you liked 5, you'll enjoy Zero. It's set during the Belkan War they keep referring to in 5. Also a PS2 game (the last in the series to be). As for 4 v 5, I liked 4 more than 5 I think mostly because I was turned off by the whole 'conspiracy behind the war' sort of thing as the game went on - since it's kind of got that Illuminati/New World Order vibe that always feel so... artificial. Like everyone would embrace world peace if it weren't for some vague, suspicious 'men behind the man'. 4 is a pure war story, but instead of learning more about the player character (leaving it to the imagination of the player), they humanize the enemy, as well as see the scenes beyond the war you fight each mission. The story isn't about the politics of what started the conflict, but about the people living through the war - and the soldiers fighting in it.

Zero's storyline is intriguing because of how they do it - it's like a pseudo-documentary chronicling the Belkan War and the exploits of a mysterious ace pilot that keeps showing up in the records (you, the player character.) To try and find out about said pilot, the narrator has interviews with various aces of the war - inevitably a member of the ace squadrons that you fight peppered throughout the game. Who gives the interviews, and how the interviews go changes depending on how you play through game, meaning on separate playthroughs you can have several different stories. It does have the conspiracy stuff that I disliked about 5 towards the end, as well as a couple obnoxious cliches, but is otherwise quite enjoyable. Again, I think you'd like it, especially if you enjoyed 5 so much. There are even a couple characters from 5 that make cameos if you play the missions the right way.
RP chars:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The monsters that gave me the most creepiest memories for monsters in any game genre was the lickers from REsident Evil 2. That creepy haaing noise. I loved the Nemesis design in Resident Evil 3.

Five Nights at Freddys is definitely a original horror story and it's actually one of the reasons I got so interested in it, but at the same time I only bought the first one.

A good history of horror games attribute their genre to good atmosphere and scares, but it's one of the thing I must agree with videogames that can't be expressed by pure action alone and it's the genre that relies on one of the things that's usually considered the least important in my opinion: Graphics. If you look back at games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Clock Tower, Parasite Eve and Fatal Frame, part of the enjoyment of horror games is designing the game to be scary.

The thing about horror games is that they attribute most if not all of their genre to limited survivability. The key, though, is knowing the ways to play with it. Clock Tower/Haunting Grounds does it slasher horror style, which was awesome when I first played them. Silent Hill went occult. I wasn't a big fan of Silent Hill at first, but the idea of the occult and psychological dead town horror was something I loved to play around with. I personally think Resident Evil did it the best with the basic mook monsters, but upped the ante as the game moved on and made the player decide on which things were needed to survive, but the system grew too old.

Flying games were never a good preference for me, but I remember playing Top Gun for the NES a lot. Anyone ever play that? =P
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

GameCobra wrote:Flying games were never a good preference for me, but I remember playing Top Gun for the NES a lot. Anyone ever play that? =P
No. No. NO. Only nightmares await.

Trying to land on the aircraft carrier... GAH. AND THAT'S JUST THE FIRST LEVEL.

There are games that are hard, and there are games that are just sadistic. And then there is Top Gun, for the NES.
RP chars:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

CosmicCoyote wrote:No. No. NO. Only nightmares await.

There are games that are hard, and there are games that are just sadistic. And then there is Top Gun, for the NES.
I just got a laugh everytime you flew too low and the plane just drops right into the ocean without a care X3

And Top Gun was fun... if landing on the carrier the first few days was indeed a total nightmare.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Ok, so Since my Internet has been acting up recently I dug out my old Xbox and started to lay it again. After going on the first Halo game I realized that I hadn't beaten it on solo yet, so I thought, "huh, that's odd, might as well...".
After which I remembered that the last time I played the first Halo game I was maybe 9-10 and was terrified of zombies or any similar sort of reanimated corpse. Shooter games I apparently found fine but my natural response to zombies was to "fire until it was 100% certain it was dead". And it was at exactly this point in the game my save was at.

To be fair I can see why it stopped me, the beginning of the level was downright creepy and then suddenly you have to fight hoards of zombies that can not only get back up after being shot many, many times but they also shoot you back. At this point I had to ditch the whole Rambo style shooting routine and decided to conserve ammo, which helped no end.
So, after about four hours work and what I must say is an absolutely astounding amount of shots fired I am finally at the end of a game I started waaaaay back in 2001. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

GameCobra wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:No. No. NO. Only nightmares await.

I just got a laugh everytime you flew too low and the plane just drops right into the ocean without a care X3

And Top Gun was fun... if landing on the carrier the first few days was indeed a total nightmare.
I still think it's ridiculous how hard that was if you didn't get it just right. I mean, the words 'prepare for landing sequence' should not inspire more fear than any of the actual enemies of the game.

And don't even get me started on the stupid refueling section.
RP chars:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I finally reached rank B+ in Splatoon! I feel so powerful. Me, in my actually-completely-average rank. :P Actually that's pretty impressive for me since I almost never play shooters and therefore have had very little practice. Now I'm scared to play ranked again because I'm just like three losses from dropping to B again.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ShadowLightning

So anyone know any good mobile phone games? Preferably something that doesn't require internet. Maybe a Tower Defense of sorts.

Speaking of which, I played Bloons Tower Defense 5 again a few days ago. It was just as much fun as I remembered. :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sleet wrote:I finally reached rank B+ in Splatoon! I feel so powerful. Me, in my actually-completely-average rank. :P Actually that's pretty impressive for me since I almost never play shooters and therefore have had very little practice. Now I'm scared to play ranked again because I'm just like three losses from dropping to B again.
don't stop splatooning this next year. I wanna Splatoon with you :3

I doubt anyone does it, but if anyone is interested in playing Planetside 2 on the PC, add GameCobra on the Emerald server. I'm trying to start a New Conglimerate clan. this game feels ALOT like classic G.I.Joe. This game also has lots of fun laughs and mature, but friendly humor. *snickers* ...Vanu Ginyu Force.