Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Legotron123

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Legotron123 »

My biggest problem with fighting them is that your best skill for fighting them, flurry rush, is something I’m still not all that good at. I’m always either trying to activate it too early, which results in me dying, or I try to activate it too late, which results in me dying. Plus I never manage to have any substantial amount of arrows on me at any time, so I can’t stun them without the upgraded stasis and/or Urbosa’s Fury. Even ignoring all that, it’s kind of unnerving how even when you’re at max health, it can do more than half of that in one hit if you’re not careful.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I was always a terrible defensive player. Apparently you can deflect their charge with a shield, giving you a brief moment to shoot their face to stun them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I am much better with a virtual bow than a virtual blade so that might be making part of the difference...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, watching a video on the problems with the 3D version of Majora's Mask.

...Wow. :?

Seems they did so many things wrong.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Okay, watching a video on the problems with the 3D version of Majora's Mask.

You could argue that for the original version.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Video argued that they tended to break what was already broken, or not do enough to fix it. Or break what worked.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Okay, watching a video on the problems with the 3D version of Majora's Mask.

You could argue that for the original version.
the origional was an experiment to see if the formula could be expanded though, that allows a fair bit more freedom than a remake or rerelease which by definition is supposed to be the same game.
D-Rock wrote:Video argued that they tended to break what was already broken, or not do enough to fix it. Or break what worked.
the correct answer would be "all of the above"
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Since I don’t care enough to actually look it up, what was wrong with Majora 3D? I prefer the newer version. At least I could get through it without a walkthrough, mostly.

When I first played the original I couldn’t even figure out how to get the ocarina. I literally had to use the walkthrough for the entire game.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am ashamed to admit that I can pretty much only do whole games now with walkthroughs.

And a little friend I would like to call "Mr. Gameshark".

Hey I sucked at games and I'm pretty sure I still do. This is my only way to feel fulfilled when playing a game. Don't judge me!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I went ahead and watched, what I’m assuming is the right video. I feel called out personally since I’m one of those people who struggled with the original. The thing I struggled with was not the gameplay or controlling Link but navigating the story. It’s alll the little things you have to do that just killed me. At the same time, I have to agree that many changes when pointed out were poorly planned and executed. I guess I didn’t play Majora at the proper time so it’s a timing thing. I think many of the points were more persnickety than anything else especially when it came to the music and art style. Then there are moments like the Twinmold boss which I must have blocked out of my mind so they had a point. They had a point about the Zora swimming which was lost on me because I was more used to the newer swimming style from Twilight and Skyward as well as tedious moments that just wasted time. I remember the hardest part of the original was the water temple boss but the 3D was much easier. I don’t if it was that I was more experienced or the changes were actually helpful in that instance. The change to the ice arrows is something that I must not have really noticed but now that I do, I am angry about that. The thing about the swamp is not really a big deal considering. The boss though I do have to say they had a point that being able to be creative is more appealing than the more cliche watch and wait for an opening. The thing about the elegy of emptiness is something I have to take Nintendo’s side on. Because of the way the song works it makes more since to have to overuse it despite how tedious and repetitive it is. Finally I don’t get people’s complaints about the moon. I see they changed it but why is the new one so awful. In conclusion I do think Nintendo has a problem with making ports easier but now they do it with more finesse. Super Mario Bros U, you have Toadette for easy mode but everything else is the same (it’s the same thing with DK Freeze) but of course at the cost of multiplayer mode as Gamexplain likes to point out. But I will also say that BoTW makes up for Majora 3D failures in its own way giving so much freedom to do what you want and experiment and learn. The bosses still follow the same patterns and move sets without a lot of AI learning but they are hard enough as is. Another thing to remeber was that it came out during what can only be described as Nintendo’s darkest age. It was the same year as Triforce Heroes so that’s say a lot right there. Practically everything they did during the Wii U age was terrible except Twilight and Windwaker HD among a handful of others.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

variable difficulty settings are a thing though, practically a standard, and making the games movement mechanics more easily learned didn't need to come at the cost of rendering half of them barely usable. besides, it's not unheard of for zelda games to have an alternate harder campaign. OOT: Master Quest anyone? they could have preserved the original in that form easily.

the problem isn't what they were trying to do, the problem is they decided that hamhanded mess was the correct way to do it, and that preserving the experience the fans had been asking for didn't matter.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Kingdom Hearts 3 had been released over in Japan and it's already being talked about online. Two questions, one are you going to read anything about the new game or wait until Tuesday which leads to my second question, who is actually going to get the game?

On a more important note this is not the end of the KH series (I honestly thought it was) but it's not so there is still a little bit of light left in this world after all. Lets hope it doesn't take another 13 years (I would be 40). I also hope that the next game has a Zootopia world. If Shanghai can get one then so can Kingdom Hearts.

There is more stuff with Union which is interesting because I was wondering how they were going to play that story up considering we know how it ends. Diving into that you can see the possibilities of where the series can go since a lot of details from that game have honestly nothing to do with the main series.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

My pre-order has already been charged. I'm looking forward to it.

My only thing right now is that the Resident Evil 2 remake is dropping around the same time, so I need to decide what to play through first.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Right now, I'm just working on a backlog (including a game I just bought now, Alice: Madness Returns), along with finishing up a couple of reviews I needed to get done. As for Kingdom Hearts 3...while I'm happy it's finally being released, I was never a fan of the series as...well that style of RPG I was never a fan of (Plus I hate drama in my games like how Japan does it).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, Nintendo scrapped what they had so far on Metroid Prime 4. They'll be restarting the project with Retro Studios at the helm this time.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so it gets axed six months before the leaked release date and we're back to wondering when it's happening... yay...

though as disappointing as that is, i supose its atleast a sign that they learned from the Other M fiasco and upped quality control since, if they'd rather restart under a veteran team than finish things up as is.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Fiasco? I know Other M wasn't quite the level of the Prime trilogy but I remember hearing it was pretty good.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Honestly, I only ever played Metroid and Metroid Prime (I thought the former was fun and the later was just OK) so I really can't make a good opinion about Retro coming back to do Metroid Prime 4. I'll just say that I hope it's worth the wait for many.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sleet wrote:Fiasco? I know Other M wasn't quite the level of the Prime trilogy but I remember hearing it was pretty good.
I don’t know about the game play, but the story was a MESS. Samus because an absolutely wimp who’s completely dependent on her commander to do anything competent, said commander had his character changed to become a condescending jerk, nobody acts with the slightest bit of intelligence, and the game forgets about the subplot involving a traitor in the crew right before that subplot would’ve resolved. And that’s not even half of the problems with that dumpster fire of a story.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I haven't played much of it, but I've read into the story. Like, okay, she has to be authorized to use her better equipment. I've seen someone say that if they had just had Samus say how much she respects her commanding officer, they could have accepted it much more, but she never says it. But why would her armor, that protects her from extreme temperatures, also be locked, until AFTER powering through a lava-filled cavern that makes her take damage due to extreme temperatures?

Saw a portion where she encounters Ridley, and suffers a PTSD flashback, considering that Ridley was responsible for killing her parents. PTSD is a very serious issue that doesn't resolve easily, if at all, but that was canonically her sixth time encountering him face-to-face.

From what I've played, the controls are sort of on the awkward side. Apparently people had issue with just how linear it was.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Plotfail #1: Samus has ptsd fixated on ridley in the manga, fine, we can accept that. The manga takes place before zero mission. Other M on the other hand is at the TAIL END OF SAMUS' CAREER, set a few months before her canonical last mission (fusion, for now anyway), and ridley is by that point is someone samus has fought half a dozen times, and never demonstrated any physical reaction other than aggression towards before. even in the games that have cut scenes. not fear, aggression. when his presence knocks her into that state of mind it would have made more sense for her to lash out blindly than cower. and that's assuming it would happen at all given she's had decades and multiple encounters to work through her issues. if she was having full on panic attacks every time they crossed paths, she should be dead by now with how often they run into each other.

Plotfail #2: Adam is supposed to be the one of the brightest officers the federation has, and fusion implies he has a gruff no-nonsense attitude. His at-best-awkward timing with the authorization system makes him look instead like a MORON, who is nothing but nonsense. his attitude, which initially seems petty, and later turns out to be a nonsensical 'keep you in the dark to keep you safe' bit, doesn't help either.

Plotfail #3: Adam's retcon as a father figure also stomps all over Grey Voice, the chozo sage who according to the manga and hinted at with the 'young samus doodle' in MZM, raised her and is her ACTUAL father figure after her parents death.

Plotfail #4: Anthony Higgs Exists. Good gods man, could you be less of a cliche? if you had an actual personality beyond token black bro dude you wouldn't be on this list.

Plotfail #5: good gods samus SHUT UP. or atleast regrow your backbone. your comments in your logbooks in prime, and the inner monologues that hide the elevator loading screens in Fusion where never anywhere near this whiny. just because somone doesn't talk doesn't mean they have no personality. Fusion, and prime II in particular showed us quite clearly how samus thinks, through direct looks into what she's thinking about, and reading her personal notes on everything she's seen. whoever this woman talking is doesn't even feel related let alone the same person.

not technicaly a plotfail, but still a major nitpick: Other M was the first, and to date ONLY game that tries to Retcon in the idea that the main line games and prime games are separate continuities, with it's 'never worked together before' bit... Which given Ridley in Samus Returns is sporting some of his Prime era cybernetics and the Aeion system works very similarly to the scan visor and PED, appears to have been Re-Retconed back out. Hallelujah.

on top of the botched story, the gameplay is metroidvaia in name only. progression is completely linear and story driven with a map layout heavily railroaded with even the slightest progress forward being tied to scripted events, rather than tied to movement items, weapon specific doors, or plot items like keys and access codes, making exploration pointless. unlike every other metroid game ever, and flying in the face of the primary appeal of the series as a whole (exploration and item hunting) or at least the primary appeal to someone like me anyway.

also the bonus boss was an absolute butchery of what is otherwise the 2nd best metroid boss to date. (Ie; Nightmare. Also, first on my list is Quadraxis if you're wondering)

there is a time and a place for experimentation. the tenth game, and fifth main story arc installment, in a series that tends to be largely consistent, is not it.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’ve spent roughly 4 hours in the Caribbean (Kingdom Hearts 3) and am still not done with it. The amount of actual world is off the charts which begs the question of how much time did they put into this one world? I mean the others are big but there is such a huge gap in quality between this one world and the rest. We could have had so many other worlds in this game (Pridelands) but instead we get a Disney version of Sea of Thieves.

Update: Trying to get the Ultima Weapon.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay I finished Kingdom Hearts 3. All in all I will say it wasn’t as great as I expected considering we waited 13 years for it but that did not stop me from obsessively playing it for the past few days. The ending though. Oh my god, it blew my mind. It made it all worth while just to see the epilogue and secret ending.
After seeing the secret ending I'm beginning to understand this game more. The entire game was basically used to wrap up loose ends from all the other games so far and foretell the events for Kingdom Hearts 4. It is a lot like Dream Drop Distance was in the fact that it was basically used to set up the third game with a few Disney worlds thrown in for character and this one is setting up for the fourth. I hope that they don't spend too long before 4 comes out. They had thirteen years so hopefully they have used that time to work on 4.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

fenrirblack wrote:Since I don’t care enough to actually look it up, what was wrong with Majora 3D? I prefer the newer version. At least I could get through it without a walkthrough, mostly.

When I first played the original I couldn’t even figure out how to get the ocarina. I literally had to use the walkthrough for the entire game.
Umm, the boss fight with the two snake worm thingys was annoying in the 3D remake, you have to wait HALFWAY THROUGH THE BATTLE for the Giant Mask.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Well next week is gonna be FUN! Far Cry: New Dawn, Metro Exodus, and Crackdown 3!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:Well next week is gonna be FUN! Far Cry: New Dawn, Metro Exodus, and Crackdown 3!
They're all first person shooters except Crackdown 3 which is a third person shooter. :?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait, so is sean being sarcastic? it's hard to tell with text.

if not, there are people actually looking forward to crackdown 3 after the snorefest 2 was? it was basicaly just the first game over again with a less interesting setting and spammier enemies.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Buster wrote:wait, so is sean being sarcastic? it's hard to tell with text.

if not, there are people actually looking forward to crackdown 3 after the mess 2 was?
Nope, no sarcasm! Only reason I say FUN like that is because I'll be reviewing all three (Part of my job for my radio show) plus I've been looking forward to them! As for Crackdown 3...I loved Crackdown 2 and been waiting for #3 for a while.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Taking Dave Ramsey's lessons so that I can save up for cool stuff such as the latest Golden Tee cabinet. Man, I haven't played Golden Tee for years.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I want to put in my hopes and predictions for tomorrow's Nintendo Direct.

I hate Fire Emblem so that fact that Three Houses is the headliner is really sad. But beyond that I do think they will announce the next Zelda game which is going to be awesome unless they screw it up again like with TriForce Heroes. I keep hoping and wishing that they will announce the next Mario Kart game. 8 is still selling beyond well and that's great but if it keep selling then there is no need for 9. WIth World Tour coming out that either means there is no point for 9 anytime soon OR they can do like a tie in with World Tour and really push the boundaries which is my vote. Another wish would once again be WIndwaker and Twilight HD on switch. It's time. If they come out with a new game then they should have a port (or two) come out the same year. They should honestly just start porting every Zelda game to the switch including Ocarina 3D and Majora 3D. Speaking of ports, people are talking about a new Mario Maker or port for Switch. I know it will happen one day but I don't see it really working well considering the hardware. I'm anxious about it because the touch screen was always such an important part of the game and the Switch touchscreen has Never been fully used ever in the last two years. I'm hoping for Animal Crossing news because I've never been interested in the series but I played Pocket camp for a month or so and now I want to give it a shot or at least see information about it so I can decide if I want to go down that rabbit hole. Another want would be a third new Donkey Kong country game to follow up with Tropical Freeze. That's coming one day so hopefully it will be soon. I think we'll see a Paper Mario port of some kind even if it's only Color Splash. We know we'll see Spyro and Dragon Quest XI which will be nice even though I've beaten both of them. They really need to port Kingdom Hearts 365/2 Days to switch since it was never actually in the remakes. We didn't get gameplay only cut scenes which is super disappointing. I know deep down we'll never get 1.5 or 2.5 on Switch so the least they could do is redo 365/2 days so people can actually play it. Golden Sun ports would be amazing or even better a follow-up to Dark Dawn which ended on a cliff hanger all those years ago. They need to start porting gamecube games like Super Mario Sunshine which I would not complain if they put that on the 3DS. Thousand Year door :). Something with Wario. I can't shake the feeling that Wario is going to do something soon.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So, what do you guys/gals think is going to come out of that Pokémon direct on Tuesday? I’m betting on at the very least an announcement of the next generation, plus maybe a spinoff announcement.

SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Legotron123 wrote:So, what do you guys/gals think is going to come out of that Pokémon direct on Tuesday? I’m betting on at the very least an announcement of the next generation, plus maybe a spinoff announcement.
There's another Direct coming?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

According to the Pokémon Twitter there is. 7AM PT/10AM ET.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Pokemon/stat ... 8386325505
Though apparently they said it’s only going to be 8 minutes, so it’s probably just one game.
EDIT: never mind, that’s from 2016, I’m just an idiot.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

There will be Gen 8 news eventually so what do you guys think it will be? I’m thinking the titles will be Plus and Minus based on “leaked” information a few years back. Another rumor said it was going to be based around the concept of progress versus regression so I’m guessing something similar to Black City vs White Forest. I’ve been trying to think of other titles but I’m drawing a blank.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess they ran out of colors and jewels to use? LOL
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So, bought some Starlink ship sets. I had a $50 gift card, figured to get some. Get to the store and see that they're half-off. :D

So I got four new ships with weapons and pilots for really only $4.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

D-Rock wrote:So, bought some Starlink ship sets. I had a $50 gift card, figured to get some. Get to the store and see that they're half-off. :D

Been meaning to check that game out, how is it?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:
D-Rock wrote:So, bought some Starlink ship sets. I had a $50 gift card, figured to get some. Get to the store and see that they're half-off. :D

Been meaning to check that game out, how is it?
I played through the tutorial then quit. From what I've heard online it is dull, redundant, and poorly conceived. But I'm curious about what others think about it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It's okay. Good in not too long sessions, as it does get repetitive. If you want it cheap, go digital. I just wanted the ships and weapons.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I bought it for the ARWING and even then it was for the dumbest reason.

I just got out of the trap that was Skylanders so I wasn't about to fall down another one. I waited for it to go on sale then bought it thinking, "I might play this."
Last edited by fenrirblack on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.