Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

TinFoilHats

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by TinFoilHats »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:I digress, I never got Carnevil although it did sound good. I was a bit busy with resident evil at the time and oh good dog the licker... the original was maddening but was very good for such an old game we would now consider to have poor graphics.
Actually, CarnEvil never made it to home consoles(concerning the fact that you said "I never got Carnevil").
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

As I said, I remember seeing the arcade, but never actually playing it. That introduction with the clown statue coming to life as an unknown figure aproached it with a coin and the creepy carnival attractions from the earth was awesome, though. Also, I saw that you got to shoot zombie clowns!
By the way, any of you plays, or has played, SWTOR?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Now I'm sad because it never made it to console, though I am fairly certain I could rig it up to the Wii sensor or something and download/create it on my PC and make a home arcade of it. Anyone remember Duck Tales?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Now I'm sad because it never made it to console, though I am fairly certain I could rig it up to the Wii sensor or something and download/create it on my PC and make a home arcade of it. Anyone remember Duck Tales?
OHMYGOSH! YES! YES I DO! THAT WAS MY CHILDHOOD! I LOVED THAT SHOW OH SO VERY MUCH AND- wait, are you telling me there's a game about it?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Anyone remember Duck Tales?
Dude, I remember having that show on VHS. *sigh* good times. Goooood times :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I might be thinking of something else, but if I remember correctly the Duck Tales video game was known for being an exception to how much licensed games suck.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

It truly was. I still play it on occasion and my brother is a big fan of all the more retro games. We still play the first Mario games and sonic 1 on the megadrive :D
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

What countries was it called the Megadrive in? I always kinda thought that was odd.

On anther note, they are apparently making an HD remake of the Duck Tales game for the 3DS I think, and despite my dislike of NES games, I actually like that one a lot, its a fun game.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

I'm kinda scared to even buy an NES due to me hearing about the massive amounts of Nintendo Hard to be found in its' games.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

NES is still good, but as it is so old and a collectable basically, your going to have a hard time finding games and/or controls to really play it, along with the cables. Who remembers GoldenEye?
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:What countries was it called the Megadrive in? I always kinda thought that was odd.
A quick Google says that it was called the Megadrive in Japan and the PAL regions(After another quick Google, this is apparently covers most of Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand). So that's quite a bit of the world that called it that.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:I'm kinda scared to even buy an NES due to me hearing about the massive amounts of Nintendo Hard to be found in its' games.
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:NES is still good, but as it is so old and a collectable basically, your going to have a hard time finding games and/or controls to really play it, along with the cables. Who remembers GoldenEye?
The Grey Wolverine wrote:On anther note, they are apparently making an HD remake of the Duck Tales game for the 3DS I think, and despite my dislike of NES games, I actually like that one a lot, its a fun game.
If you don't want to shell out a whole bunch of dollars for an NES that might not even work, you can get a 3DS on which they often re-release NES, SNES, Game Gear etc. games on the eShop for less than $10 each. I've heard a lot about the Duck Tales game and how awesome it is (I loved the show and the movie) so I might have to look out for that. I got the original Metroid and I cannot understand how people played it, made any kind of progress, saved the passwords, remembered the map, found all the secrets and eventually beat the game. But I can tell you, whenever I found anything, it was the most rewarding experience of my gaming life.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

You can buy new consoles designed to play NES, SNES and Megadrive games nowadays.
Mickey the Luxray

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:your going to have a hard time finding games and/or controls to really play it, along with the cables.
My local retro games shop sells their consoles with that kind of stuff, I believe. When I got my PlayStation it had a controller and all the cables, and considering that they have a boxed Atari Jaguar I don't think they'd have any problem with finding the cables for something as popular as an NES |D
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

They have a boxed Atari!? where is this shop :| I can never find a decent retro console to buy nowadays, or maybe its only the UK that has problems with old consoles.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Manchester has a couple retro game stores, but you're better off going to car boot sales if you want decent retro games for a good price. Personally, everything I've bought from car boots work too.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

To answer the CarnEvil question I've played it multiple times. To answer DuckTales I've heard about it but I've never played it. Now here's question I'm sure you guys have the answer to. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Saturn381 wrote:To answer the CarnEvil question I've played it multiple times. To answer DuckTales I've heard about it but I've never played it. Now here's question I'm sure you guys have the answer to. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim?
Never played it but, yup! The final boss is quite.... peculiar.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Saturn381 wrote: Now here's question I'm sure you guys have the answer to. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim?
You, sir(madam?), just put a Cheshire cat smile on my face. I LOVE that game! The level design? The bizarre sense of humor? The classic platformy action? What more could you ask for??(though, I played it on an emulator, so I don't think that counts :P)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I bought the SNES version of EWJ and EWJ2. Granted, the Genesis version is much better, but i still enjoyed the SNES version of it. =P

Now the RPGs of the SNES days on the otherhand, that's another can of awesome. <3 7th Saga = win.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
ShadowLightning

I've played Earthworm Jim before. Even though it wasn't my favorite, it was still pretty good.
GameCobra wrote: Now the RPGs of the SNES days on the otherhand, that's another can of awesome. <3 7th Saga = win.
So true! Most of the first RPG's I played are on the SNES: Earthbound, 7th Saga, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire, Tales of Phantasia.
Oh, those were the days of my childhood...
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
The Grey Wolverine

Saturn381 wrote:To answer the CarnEvil question I've played it multiple times. To answer DuckTales I've heard about it but I've never played it. Now here's question I'm sure you guys have the answer to. Anyone remember Earthworm Jim?
I love Earthworm Jim! I used to play it at my friend Nick's house actually
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:The metroid series was pretty good too, some games are relatively easy whilst others are stupidly difficult. To anybody who beat the original, I salute you.
I remember staying up all night trying to beat it with a friend, we never did. But that was years ago (like, 6 or 7 years), I'd like to try again.

Hey,hey...anybody remember Snake Rattle 'n'Roll? I can't be the only one who enjoyed that game.
Panda Panda Panda
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Punchy wrote:
Hey,hey...anybody remember Snake Rattle 'n'Roll? I can't be the only one who enjoyed that game.
Are you kidding? I love this game! :D I still got a copy in my cupboard... I have to play it now! :mrgreen:
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Mickey the Luxray

Since we're talking about old games from our childhood, who's played Burnout 2 before? That game is THE BOMB.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

ahhh never played that one, I don't think it made it to the UK. How about more modern games, not too modern though. Like Sonic Adventure 2, that game was EPIC at the time.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

My friend had a dreamcast and SA2. The graphics were stunning back in that time... but i was always a fan of Super Mario ;)
ImageImage
Mickey the Luxray

Didn't Half-Life get a Dreamcast port?
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I saw House of the Dead 2 at a Goodwill store once.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
The Grey Wolverine

So, what was your first console, mine was the SNES. I had Super Mario 3, Bevis and Butthead, and actually Chrono Trigger, and me being 8 at the time, never played it, and my mum threw it out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I had an NES that I played when I was 2. We eventually got a Sega Genesis. The first console that was 100% mine was the Gamecube (or Gameboy Color if we count handhelds).
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ShadowLightning

Technically, my first console was the Nintendo 64, though it wasn't really mine and I just borrowed it. Along with it, I had Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Unfortunately, I had to give it back a year later.
Mickey the Luxray

First console was most likely either an SNES or a Playstation 2. The first console I owned was an Xbox 360 Arcade (well technically it was a christmas present to me) and the first console I bought with my own money was my Playstation.

Also, on a less related note I've been experimenting into UI design and came up with this:

Yeah. I love Helvetica too much |c
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

The first console in our family was a NES which still works :) (unfortunately, we skipped the SNES :cry: )
MY first console was a N64... countless hours of fun :D
ImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I grew up with a Genesis. let me tell you, 4 year olds suck at Mortal Kombat :3

or maybe that was just me
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Mickey the Luxray

I sucked at EVERY GAME EVER when I was young. No game was played correctly when I was at the controls.

And now I'm like the pro of the family in multiple games. My dad is the newbie and my brother is just a guy. :P I can even hold my own in the dreaded public lobbies of Call of Duty...
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I was really bad at most games until recently, then I started to pick things up and am hated on some Wii games for stopping cheaters/glitchers from doing what the title suggests. :D I have never been more proud to cap a guy on my own team for jumping 100 feet in the air. But yeah until a few years ago I couldn't beat ANY game whatever, I can beat a good number of them now but some others (e.g.: Duck Tales) I will never be able to beat, ever.
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

I used to be terrible at games when I first started playing. I just button mashed and hoped I was doing the right thing. xD

I'm sort of good now, mostly Sonic ones though, since that's what I usually play. xD.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

A, which sonic games, there are lots with many of them being very good and B. I also did that and it Still Works on games like Melee/Brawl and soul calibur.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you can win with button mashing in Soul Calibur or Super Smash Bros., your opponents are really bad.

And that's a pretty good UI, Mickey! A little cluttered, though, if you ask me.