Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

MrNeonShot

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by MrNeonShot »

I tried giving hints that I wanted a 2DS for Christmas.
The response was "Buddy, the only way you'll get that is if you pay for it."
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Give hints that you want it, it's almost Christmas. :3
I'd rather not have to wait that long. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Tales of Hearts since I can't play Xillia 2 right now.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Yeah, but its still all just Send Pokemang to field. Use these attacks. Watch animation. Repeat at infinitum. With The Tales games, it's in real time, you block actively, and to use abilities you need to use combos, it pays like a weird JRPG/2-D brawler if that makes sense. Plus, there is stuff to do.
Comparing Pokemon to Tails is stupid, don't do it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So my friend got a Wii U and now several other of my friends want one. This is good! When I grew up me and all my friends had Nintendo consoles and got excited about games together. As things stood before now, I was the only one with a Wii U and it seemed like it was going to stay that way. All it took was playing Super Mario 3D World, Nintendoland, and seeing Wind Waker 3D plus feeling the controller and looking at some of the functionality to do it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

The games on WiiU are awesome and I don't endorse them in the least. *looks around shiftily, takes cheque from Shigeru Miamoto*
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I hate how people (being gamers on GI) think the WiiU isn't a relevant gaming console, or that it's a previous gen console.
It's totally a next gen!
Just because PS4 and Xbox were too lazy to release theirs at the same time DOESN'T MEAN the WiiU is a previous gen console!

I probably said this before
Sorry, I had to rant :b
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Actually, I knew a guy who was an elitist PC gamer, he looked down on console games because apparently, if you can't afford a $1100 high end gaming PC, then you have no business in playing videogames. This is why I never talk to him, but he was always complaining about the Nintendo consoles, he called the Wii a worthless gaming system, and according to him, the WiiU was a bit waste of money, keeping in mind, this guy doesn't own and consoles, and hasn't since the origional X-Berks...so yeah, he is the authority to go on
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

PC's are always ahead in terms of capacity and graphics, technology allows them to be upgraded as quickly as new parts come out, but it's expensive.
Consoles aren't inferior, they are innovative. They are cheaper than a high tech PC, smaller and have various control systems. Were it not for the Wii I wouldn't use a Wii remote for my computer. :lol:
The Grey Wolverine

I would say that the PC is still the better game system, since well, better tech and stuff, but a console lets the average person play most of the same games as you would find on the PC
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Whereas other games are created to exist only on console and PC players will miss out. Like the Conduit. (I assume none of you have played it, but it's on Wii) Some games will, in the same way be restricted to PC gamers only, so that people will have variety.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

The Conduit was AWESOME!
Like Halo and MIB!
I was so depressed when I ended the first game.
Since I don't have a motion plus controller, I can't play the second.
The Grey Wolverine

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Whereas other games are created to exist only on console and PC players will miss out. Like the Conduit. (I assume none of you have played it, but it's on Wii) Some games will, in the same way be restricted to PC gamers only, so that people will have variety.
The Conduit was okay IMO. And I really don't like exclusives...is that just me? I don't like the idea that I can't play Infamous because I don't have the right system, I have a 360 because it was cheaper then the PS3, I would prefer the exclusives on the PS3, but I get bugged when something I really wanna play, but can't, because I won't fork over like $300 for a new system
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

You don't need motion plus, just my custom control settings and skill.
I was saddened by the way try changed Ford's voice in the second though, and he was much more jokey.
If I go online again I will add you. :D

And that's all part of the trap, good games will often go to all systems or just the one, depending on trends and who has the most money. :lol:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Hmmm... I wonder...

Does anyone still use the Nintendo DS? I want to try starting a new game in Pokémon Pearl, but I want to try it with fresh Pokémon that were traded to me just for fun. =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:PC's are always ahead in terms of capacity and graphics, technology allows them to be upgraded as quickly as new parts come out, but it's expensive.
Consoles aren't inferior, they are innovative. They are cheaper than a high tech PC, smaller and have various control systems. Were it not for the Wii I wouldn't use a Wii remote for my computer. :lol:
PCs are always over the consoles technically, graphically and not only, now. In past you could say that with the consoles you just have to switch it on, insert the game disc and start to play it, saving time than with doing the same operations on PC. Now no more, because consoles are being right like PCs on this side, between: firmware updates, games installing as on PC, games day-1 patches, downloading times, and so on, and don't let's forget of the PC-like problems that can happen here too, like the samegames corruption. PC owners must always pay attention for the drivers updating, anyway, an habit now ingrained to consoles users, too. Connecting consoles on the Internet seem to have given them more disadvantages and poor features (let's don't speak of the DLCs abusing...) than good things... Until some years ago, update and gaming PC building costs and times were higher, but now, they can be made with less money and for less times (the PC games are mostly being poor console ports that don't require top hardware to play them decently). Well, if right now you want point to the 4K resolution, that's really expensive to do, it's better wait: you need at least two or more high-end graphic cards, other top hardware and the apposite monitor, and you easily reach at least 5000$ of bill... Pretty the same is if you want a multi Full HD or higher monitor configuration, instead. My gaming PC is almost 4 years old and it's still good for all the games that I play in Full HD resolution; I wanted to changed only the graphic card two years ago. With PCs is often possible play old games on newer systems, the ways to do depend by the game and can be experiemented till find the success. On consoles instead, happens the problem of the retro-compatibility missing, and you have to keep the old console; sometimes there are the HD remakes of old console games, but it's all made to sell you a game that you already have.
Consoles aren't always so innovative as could seem... Talking about recent consoles, only Nintendo has provided real innovation in the way to play with the console (it's in their philosophy), with the Wiimote remove control for Wii before, and with the gamepad-tablet controller for Wii U after. Kinect and PS Move are sort of copies of the Wiimove made in hoping to replicate the selling success got by Nintendo with its Wii, but then, they aren't much better on practical use (for example, Kinect is way more interesting and useful applied in other contests, but not for the gaming one). At the moment, paradoxically, it's right the PC which is showing interesting innovations, between Oculus Rift visor and the Steam controller: yes, they're still not sold, but it's a time issue... About costs, the money that you may save in buying a console, will be spent paying the games at their full price at launch, if you can't wait thier inevitable price lowering. On PC, almost all the times the games cost less than on consoles at launch (mainly due to the missing royalties costs), and if we name Steam gaming client and all its great offers (renouncing to the physical copies), consoles loses on this side. For too much times, the price of the digital delivery games on PSN and XBLA stay higher for long time than their physical copy versions... However, consoles and PCs win eachother only for the games exclusives, which most of the times it's an hard thing to accept for the gamers on an only platform.
Right, the consoles always win for the littler sizes and weird, good for their transporting, but what about the heat dissipation, then? They can easily go in overheat, instead usually gaming PCs mount top cooling systems to keep stable temperatures. FYI, the Wiimote can be used on PC through Bluetooth connection to play Wii games running on Dolphin emulator.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't use my DS 'cause I have a 3DS. :3
MrNeonShot wrote:I hate how people (being gamers on GI) think the WiiU isn't a relevant gaming console, or that it's a previous gen console.
It's totally a next gen!
Just because PS4 and Xbox were too lazy to release theirs at the same time DOESN'T MEAN the WiiU is a previous gen console!

I probably said this before
Sorry, I had to rant :b
The Wii U being a last-generation console is objectively false. The horsepower of the hardware does not define the generations, but rather what years they're on the market for.

In fact, I think the obsession with technical specs is silly because if that's your top concern, you shouldn't be playing on a console anyway.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I know!
I love the WiiU!
Technically watching TV on the xbox was ripped off by Nintendo!
You can watch TV while playing the game on your tablet.

I'm not sure if I'll like the new Halo 5. It's going more of a skyrim style, with free realm, and upgrading your amour.
It takes the entire feeling of Halo away.
At least the Brutes are coming back, though.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Foxstar wrote:Comparing Pokemon to Tails is stupid, don't do it.
Why not? Tails is a funny animal-like character that is infamous for having superpowers and hitting critters all around! You can't get any more pokémon-ish than that!

Anyway, my father is programming engieneer, so he's always used computers.
Whenever I asked him to buy a Playstation 2, or a gameboy, he always claimed that spending over 50 to 200 pesos (at the time I was a kid, that was quite a lot.) on a machine that was used exclusively for playing video games was a no-go idea, as he thought that hardware should be used mostly for work, rather than just entertainment.

I can count the times I ever played on a video game console with one hand.
So, since many amazing games were taken out of the computer market in favour of consoles, effectively preventing me from playing I developed a disdain for consoles.

On the plus side, though, I saved a ton of money in software!

By the way, Grey Wolverine, remember when you asked whether Assassin's Creed 4 was worth buying? I recall reading that the developers claimed that the game took place half on firm soil and half at sea. Even more, my younger brother, based on what he's seen of a walkthrough so far (I think he's even still seeing it as I type this!), says that it might actually be 60% sea and 40% land.

I truly loved the naval battles in Assassin's Creed 3, but you said you didn't liked them, so I don't know what you'll make of what I wrote.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
The Grey Wolverine

I wasn't asking about if AC4 was worth getting, I got it day one, and it is the best pirate game I've played outside Monkey Island. I think Aaron was wondering about weather its worth it

Also, Zelot....when he said Tails, he meant the Tails of RPG series, a non traditional series of JRPGs with different combat, fun characters, and a lot of good stuff. Not the annoying Kitsune with a plane.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I remember that during the development of the PS3, the developers did try a new design for the controllers, but the beta testers said that they felt weird, not intuitive and awkward. Which is the reason why they chose to stick with the PS2 controller design in the end.

The thing is, one of the novelties of playing a console game is the feeling of holding on to a joystick in hand. Something similar to the feeling of driving a car yourself, which is why automated cars that can drive themselves, while possible, is not really far in development just yet.

Anyway, I wanted to ask something to those who played Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Possible spoilers ahead.

Can you request a song named K.K Song from K.K Slider? I couldn't find a video in Youtube.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

kurowolfe wrote:I remember that during the development of the PS3, the developers did try a new design for the controllers, but the beta testers said that they felt weird, not intuitive and awkward. Which is the reason why they chose to stick with the PS2 controller design in the end.
You mean this thing?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I think Aaron was wondering about weather its worth it

Also, Zelot....when he said Tails, he meant the Tails of RPG series, a non traditional series of JRPGs with different combat, fun characters, and a lot of good stuff. Not the annoying Kitsune with a plane.
See? This is what happens when I have to read fifty comments very fast one after another with the constant fear of another forty popping up as I'm reading them.
Saturn381 wrote:[img]http://scriptroutine.files.<span%20class="y6bkj3jhk"%20id="y6bkj3jhk_5">wordpress</span>.com/2012/01/ps3boomerangs.jpg[/img]
"Introducing the Boom-er-ang: Named so due to the fact that, whenever you are losing, which is a real bumer, you can throw this beautiful controller at your opponents face and boom: THEY will be the ones filled with ang-st!

We could have also called it the croissant, but we were afraid children would try to eat it."
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Silly Zealot wrote: "Introducing the Boom-er-ang: Named so due to the fact that, whenever you are losing, which is a real bumer, you can throw this beautiful controller at your opponents face and boom: THEY will be the ones filled with ang-st!

We could have also called it the croissant, but we were afraid children would try to eat it."
XD That is awesome!
I wonder if they made that model again for the PS4.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've been playing Xenosaga Episode 1 and the controls confuse me.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Just finished Pokemon White 2, and I have to say, it's really satisfying to finish a Pokemon game on the console instead of an emulator... even if I was using the R4 card.

I did plan to buy the actual cartridge (costs about RM 130 here), just to experience the Dream World thing, but Pokemon.com will be shutting down the service to make way for the X and Y games early next year. I was sooooooo disappointed.

Well, maybe next year I'll get a 3DS, but then again, I wanted to go back to my Playstation roots and get a Vita....

By the way, fun fact: I never knew Super Mario is a Nintendo product until high school, probably because I was playing the SNES(is it?) on an imitation console, with pirated game cassettes. I never knew ;p

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

3DS.
I know there are some games on the Vita, but I can understand most of the games on a 3DS.
I'm not sure which one I want, though.
One day, I played with the 3D on, and it was awesome!
I played again, and it was horrible...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The 3DS has so many games. It's probably the way to go.
kurowolfe wrote:By the way, fun fact: I never knew Super Mario is a Nintendo product until high school, probably because I was playing the SNES(is it?) on an imitation console, with pirated game cassettes. I never knew ;p
B-but... That's like not knowing Mickey Mouse is Disney! D:
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

If you don't want the 3D get the 2DS.
And that's like not knowing Mario was originally called jumpman! ... Oh wait, not many people do know that. :?
Edit: after over ninety hours of play time I finally completed Xenoblade! Now to restart to beat it fully! :lol: *hits self with brick*
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Started Tales of Destiny 2 back up.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Sleet wrote:The 3DS has so many games. It's probably the way to go.
kurowolfe wrote:By the way, fun fact: I never knew Super Mario is a Nintendo product until high school, probably because I was playing the SNES(is it?) on an imitation console, with pirated game cassettes. I never knew ;p
B-but... That's like not knowing Mickey Mouse is Disney! D:
Well, that's the truth. And while I like the SNES version of Super Mario, I never really liked any permutations of the Mario series ever since, maybe because I never got the chance. And unlike the rest of you, I was raised with fond memories of only the Sony gaming line and series like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Digimon, so my sentimental attachments are directed towards it instead. Call me hipster or whatever, I can't pretend to like the Nintendo line more than the Sony line.

About the 3DS thing, I dunno, the only reason I got an NDS in the first place is because I wanted to play Pokemon games. I had browsed through a big list of games for the DS, and I only recognize or wanted to play a handful. I have sooooo many games I had wanted to play on the PSP though, like PataPon, Yggdra Union, Dissidia, DJMax, Final Fantasy Tactics and Scott Pilgrim.

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

The PSVita had a terrible launch. There are now games that are decent on it, including Metal Gear Solid's HD, Little Big Planet Persona 4 Golden.

Nowadays, Spyro is for every console ever (I genuinely think Skylanders is a great game, just costs too much) and Crash Bandicoot has stopped existing (2 terrible games twice in row does that). I grew up on the Playstation home consoles, but those games just don't exist the way they used to.
Also, I think the only really good thing Nintendo have is the Legend of Zelda series. Pokemon games have been just plain bad once too many times for me. That being said, it only takes one look at the PSVita to realize the old friendly classics aren't there anymore. You still have Rayman...but he's on every console ever now. They're released a new Oddworld game witch will be cool, and I'm pretty sure you can buy some older classics to play again if you like... But personally, I own all the older classics on my PS1. If I wanted to play older games, I'd dust off my PS2 and play it there...

So yeah, I'm not calling you hipster for liking Playstation's old mascots...but I will say you've not done all your research if you've not noticed that those games just don't exist anymore... The best you have is the ability to legally emulate PS1 games on your PSVita...
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Donkey Kong was originally Mario's (or Jump Man's) abused pet.
Mario is an animal abuser. You see this when he stomps on the heads of turtles.

Did you know, every time you break a block on Mario, you kill someone?
the King Toadstool (or whatever his name is), had all his enemies turned into blocks.
That way they couldn't harm anyone.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

44R0NM10 wrote:The PSVita had a terrible launch. There are now games that are decent on it, including Metal Gear Solid's HD, Little Big Planet Persona 4 Golden.

Nowadays, Spyro is for every console ever (I genuinely think Skylanders is a great game, just costs too much) and Crash Bandicoot has stopped existing (2 terrible games twice in row does that). I grew up on the Playstation home consoles, but those games just don't exist the way they used to.
Also, I think the only really good thing Nintendo have is the Legend of Zelda series. Pokemon games have been just plain bad once too many times for me. That being said, it only takes one look at the PSVita to realize the old friendly classics aren't there anymore. You still have Rayman...but he's on every console ever now. They're released a new Oddworld game witch will be cool, and I'm pretty sure you can buy some older classics to play again if you like... But personally, I own all the older classics on my PS1. If I wanted to play older games, I'd dust off my PS2 and play it there...

So yeah, I'm not calling you hipster for liking Playstation's old mascots...but I will say you've not done all your research if you've not noticed that those games just don't exist anymore... The best you have is the ability to legally emulate PS1 games on your PSVita...
Well, yeah. I do realize the thing about the PS games mascots are not that appealing as they had before. I myself have stopped playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot after their respective weird transitions to the PS2. Yet, I still find new games for the PS2 and the PSP that I get excited about, like those I had mentioned in my last post. I kinda forgot about Persona 4 and Persona 3 though, I wanna play those too. >.<

I do realize that I made an error about the PSVita though, and to be honest, I'm not that familiar with it or the news surrounding it. Heck, I don't really follow the gaming news lately because I don't have access to enough money, stable internet connection or good specs for my laptop to play any new games anymore. My brother who's studying in Japan have more knowledge about games than I do, yet he seems to enjoy just a few, like DoTA, LoL and this online MMORPG called Dragon Nest, and I mostly know what I know from him.

Another thing that's quirky about me is that I don't mind not being able to be connected online when playing games that could exist on its own, like Pokemon. Like I had said, it's hard to get good quality internet connection here, and connecting a console to the internet is almost unheard of until a few years ago.

So, for my plans, either a PSP or a 3DS. But more importantly, a good laptop first.
MrNeonShot wrote:Donkey Kong was originally Mario's (or Jump Man's) abused pet.

the King Toadstool (or whatever his name is), had all his enemies turned into blocks.
I do hope you're joking, Neon. I don't know anything about King Toadstool or Donkey Kong. Sad, isn't it?

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

MrNeonShot wrote:Donkey Kong was originally Mario's (or Jump Man's) abused pet.

It wasn't King Toadstool it was Bowser and he turned the Toads into the blocks.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

o.o' So we're killing our own people?
TOTALLY WORTH IT!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I assume that's long since been retconned. :P
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Dying a lot.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

44R0NM10 wrote:The PSVita had a terrible launch. There are now games that are decent on it, including Metal Gear Solid's HD, Little Big Planet Persona 4 Golden.
Agree. It's a great portable console, but it has always been very little supported by publishers with third party games and not so well supported by the same Sony with first party games. It's still having little sales in Japan. Other best games on it are: Uncharted Golden Abyss, Mortal Kombat, Soul Sacrifice, Dragon's Crown, Tearaway.
44R0NM10 wrote:Nowadays, Spyro is for every console ever (I genuinely think Skylanders is a great game, just costs too much) and Crash Bandicoot has stopped existing (2 terrible games twice in row does that). I grew up on the Playstation home consoles, but those games just don't exist the way they used to.
Ok, but, what has been left of the old, storic Spyro character and games? Nothing, Activision is just doing a bad use of the character in Skylanders series, totally changed in the look. Recently there have been rumors about have Crash Bandicoot to Sony with planned a new game in developing for PS4: all denied, the IP is still of the very bad Activision.
Activision is so badly boring as game company: 0 innovation and cares only about the usual cash-makers Call of Duty and Skylanders series, and in past they were the Tony Hawk and Guitar/DJ Hero series...
44R0NM10 wrote:You still have Rayman... but he's on every console ever now.
Has always been so about Rayman series, it hasn't never been exclusive of a console, or almost... Ubisoft did the bad choice of delay the Rayman Legends launch on Wii U, also not making it anymore an its exclusive, at least temporally. Anyway, after the doubtful Raving Rabbids "pause", in the latest years this great character returned back with two of the best and beautiful platform games ever made.
44R0NM10 wrote:But personally, I own all the older classics on my PS1. If I wanted to play older games, I'd dust off my PS2 and play it there...
Best and only thing to do when you want to do that. ;)
44R0NM10 wrote:So yeah, I'm not calling you hipster for liking Playstation's old mascots...but I will say you've not done all your research if you've not noticed that those games just don't exist anymore... The best you have is the ability to legally emulate PS1 games on your PSVita...
Unfortunately is so, many storic games and characters of the PS1, and also PS2, eras are now gone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Megamaster wrote:Playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Dying a lot.
The original? I haven't played it but FFTA is one of my favorite games of all time. :D