Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Nyaliva

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Nyaliva »

Haha! For me it's just bringing up fond memories of Advance Wars. A lot of the lingo is similar and even, it seems, some of the smaller gameplay mechanics. I've always thought it'd be great to get into the Fire Emblem series, I just don't really know where to start and I've usually always got something I want more. Still, your chatter is encouraging, I might get it some time soon. Until then, I'm going back to play me some Advance Wars!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

so, I just bought Majora's mask from Ebay. I know it's got a time limit thing of 3 days...so, do you only have 3 days to complete the game? I seem to recall there being a song to turn back time, but is there still a time limit?
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

There is a song to turn back time. Certain events only happen at certain times, and you can only accomplish and access some areas with specific masks. Time passes much faster than in real time, so you have to complete what you want to complete before time runs out and then reset the days.
exranio

Post by exranio »

If you played Dead Rising it's kinda like that.
Everything happens at certain times, time is always passing, you can only do so much with your 3 days. I'm not sure if it's possible to do everything in either game, and even if it is it requires perfect planning.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Majora's Mask is **** fun. I love it a whole lot more than Ocarina of Time. The Three-day limit, you can reset that at any time you desire. The main thing the time of day changes are things around the Hub town. There's only one instance I can think of where the time of day changes something outside of Clock Town (past the usual Day or Night deals), and there's a way to open that path earlier. It just gets opened on the last day so you can go in there before you're flattened. But back inside, the time of day mainly affects the multitude of side-quests in the game. You'll need to complete all of these to get all the Masks for the final Mask, the Fierce Deity Mask. Only able to be used in Boss fights, but you utterly WRECK them with this bad boy.

There's another song you can play that slows down time. Normally, time moves at about the rate of 1 minute IRL = 1 hour in-game, giving you around 72 minutes before you need to restart time. The song takes that to about half or one-third the normal speed. Great most of the times but there are times when you should return time to normal, just so you're not waiting any longer than you have to.

But for the main-story, the time is just a limiter. You can't lollygag around, and so you've gotta know what you're doing. Dungeons reset when you restart the three days, so make sure you're ample supplied so you're not wasting time going back out and healing or picking up more arrows or whatever up. X3

Oh, forgot to mention: Key items you earn are saved, though quantities of items and Rupees get lost. There's a bank, though, that can save your Rupees, but arrows, Deku nuts, Bombs and the like are lost.

Mod Edit: Please refrain from avoiding the profanity filter. If you feel the need to self-censor, you may completely obliterate the word with asterisks.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

There was a game for PS2 called Ephemeral Fantasia that used a similar system, you had a week before the Princess's wedding at which you were going to play a song. During the days, different things happened and the story progressed where you uncovered a magical conspiracy by the Princess's fiance. At the wedding you played your song, similar to Guitar Hero, and then had to fight the bad guy but he was like SUPER powerful. Then the week would reset and you'd still have all your items, skills and level. So you had to keep replaying the week and get strong enough to defeat the guy.

This was well after Majora's Mask but still before I knew what it was or had even gotten into Zelda, so I thought it was super cool and totally unique. Now I really want Majora's Mask, but I'd have to get an N64 as well.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Not necessarily. If you have a Wii, it's on the Wii Shop Channel. That's how I replayed it because my brother has our N64 and most of its cartridges. Or you could use an Emulator... X3
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Thanks for the help on info' on Majora's Mask guys :D

Also, Ex' told me about this kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/131 ... t-awakened

I'm not one for kickstarters usually...but bloody **** this game looks awesome. I love character customization, and this thing seems to have more character customisasion then anything else I've ever played (more that Soulcalibur V o.o). Heck, in the video, the guy's made Green Lantern, Spiderman, Ghostrider, various Final Fantasy characters and tons more. It'd be nice to get a bit more info on the story, but yeah, the game looks really awesome. I'm backing it on.

Mod Edit: Use of that word as profanity is not allowed.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Played and completed Metal Gear Rising! I must say, i'm a little disappointed though. I expected a great action game like Bayonetta, but it's far from that magnificence...

Still a good action, but maybe i was expecting too much. Up to a second run to judge it better...
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm still not sure why they made Metal Gear an action game in the first place.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Sleet wrote:I'm still not sure why they made Metal Gear an action game in the first place.
They also made Metal Gear a card game, a weird social rts and a rail shooter... that is the minor problem, MG is always been a perfectly wonderful person, it's hard to say 'cause i'm a great fan of the series, but is true

What disappointed me is that P* is one of the most experienced software houses in action games... but Rising is not so perfect as i expected. It's broken here and there, and it's very easy even at hard difficulty (because the full recovery zandatsu is something really stupid)

Now i'm replaying it, i'm having more fun than before, but still something's missing. A good action and a good representation of the 4 year later Raiden, but not the masterpiece i thought...
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Doubt I'll get the chance to play it, but from what i saw, there's not that much stealth in the game. But then again ~ you are now a cybernetic ninja!

Food for thought ~ Based on my history of videogames, and nostalgia from growing up, Seems THQ would be the best wrestling game company out there. But I always wondered why Capcom doesn't focus on their Saturday Night Slam Masters series quite frequently more?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

I'm not a fan of the direction they went with Metal Gear Rising. I mean, c'mon... the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4 just kinda got thrown out the freakin' window and trampled on by a swarm of Metal Gear RAY. Having it be after MGS4? Just... No...

But, meh. Nitpicking. He could have gone back to being a ninja, but I just like to think that he just continued to live with Rose.

I still need to complete Snake Eater... I'm not even at that famous ladder. I wanna get to that ladder! X3

That WWE '13 or whatever it's called just looks so stupid to me. I know it came out a bit ago, but I still say it looks like junk. I've watched so many live-streamers play it, and the movements just look sooooooooo stuuuuuuupid. It's like they're freakin' robots or something - it's so scripted. There's no fluidity to it. It doesn't look fun to play in the least. Most sports games don't really appeal to me, but again, meh. Others buy them; companies make money of 'em. What can ya do? :3
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Does anyone know a good turn-based rpg game for the 3ds?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn springs to mind for me. It's a JRPG, it's actually for the DS and it's the third in a series that started on the GBA, but it's one of my favourites.

Other than that, I've heard Tales of the Abyss is amazing (I really want it but I can't find it anywhere near here) and Crimson Shroud is one I feel I've heard good things about but it could've just been the game description. *shrug*

Denpa Men: They Came by Radio Waves is kinda cool, you find characters by scanning where there are radio waves, then make teams and make your way through dungeons. It's fairly minimal though, that's pretty much the whole game as far as I can see (I've only played the demo).

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If strategy RPGs count, Fire Emblem: Awakening is pretty much one of the best.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Dark Dawn to me was way too easy. My favourite out of the trilogy has to be the second installment, The Lost Age. For a GameBoy Advance game, this thing was massive. It's one of those games that without a walk-through, you'll be constantly shouting "WHERE DO I (optional expletive) GO!?", but it's so much fun. Also has a nifty little data-transfer deal going with the first game where you insert in this admittedly long code, and the four characters you played as in the first game get the same equipment/stats/Djinn as they had when you ended it (they come in a little ways into the game, so it's not an easy-mode. Also required unless you want to go hunting for more Djinn to get to the almighty Dullahan. This has to be one of the hardest bosses I've faced in a game. Period. Sure, you can summon-rush the life out of him in three turns, but if you want to try and beat him legit, hoo boy... Good luck. X3)

I also pride myself in being able to 100% the first game without a walk-through. :3

I loooooove Golden Sun.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Started playing inFAMOUS, so far it's alright but I'm told it gets better.

Oh, I can't wait for The Last of Us! I'm not much of a gamer so there's never been that video game release I look forward to, until now.
Panda Panda Panda
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

TarkaTarquol wrote:Dark Dawn to me was way too easy. My favourite out of the trilogy has to be the second installment, The Lost Age. For a GameBoy Advance game, this thing was massive. It's one of those games that without a walk-through, you'll be constantly shouting "WHERE DO I (optional expletive) GO!?", but it's so much fun. Also has a nifty little data-transfer deal going with the first game where you insert in this admittedly long code, and the four characters you played as in the first game get the same equipment/stats/Djinn as they had when you ended it (they come in a little ways into the game, so it's not an easy-mode. Also required unless you want to go hunting for more Djinn to get to the almighty Dullahan. This has to be one of the hardest bosses I've faced in a game. Period. Sure, you can summon-rush the life out of him in three turns, but if you want to try and beat him legit, hoo boy... Good luck. X3)

I also pride myself in being able to 100% the first game without a walk-through. :3

I loooooove Golden Sun.
Yay! Another Golden Sun fan!!!
Yeah, Dark Dawn was super easy and comparatively very short but apart from that I didn't find any major flaws with it, it was very reminiscent of the originals. Then again, I was pretty much going "OMG A NEW GOLDEN SUN!!!!" the whole time I was playing it so I may have been biased! ;)

The originals were definitely the best, and I still can't decide which one I like more. Crossbone Isle was the most amazing thing ever but the exploration and the summons gathering was great in the second one, if the dungeons were a bit long. Oh my gosh, Dullahan was so hard but I was over the moon when I finally beat him. I tried summon rushing him but my characters were still a bit weak I think and so he used them for his own summons before I could. :( That boss required one of my most thought out strategies I've ever had to consider in a JRPG.

And that code, my goodness, I remember going over to my dad's friends place and while they sat and chatted I spent the whole time copying down the code and re-entering it into the second one. It's well worth it though, gave you a sense of continuation, having the same stuff.

But yeah, I've replayed the first one so many times, the second one less so because it's so much longer, but I looked up a walkthrough after playing them both to the nth degree and there was nothing I'd missed in the first one other than drop items and like one or two secret areas in the second (as well as drop and forge items). I still love those games.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I liked Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, its a pretty solid game in my opinion, and I had so much fun with it, which I wasn't expecting. It looked okay, but I was blown away, in a way.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Sleet wrote:If strategy RPGs count, Fire Emblem: Awakening is pretty much one of the best.
I totally agree with you. I recently got this and it is one of my new favorites of all time! Currently my favorite character is Morgan.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I just discovered Pokemon will now have DLC. Okay, it's for mystery dungeon, but this opens the door for charged DLC for the mainstream pokemon games.
All I know is that if game freaks or nintendo start to charge for dlcs in other pokemon games, I would rather have the incomplete game or not even buying it at all. I refuse to support the policy of selling an incomplete game at full proce and have the guts to charge us to have it complete.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Yeah see DLC's okay, charged DLC is forgivable if it's actually extra gameplay, but there are so many games out now that are like bare bones and then the DLC gives you the extra stuff which, in the old days, would have been in the game anyway. So far, my favourite DS/3DS games have free DLC (which is actually extra stuff which is a bonus) and any PS3 games I have I can't see if they have DLC because I don't have internet for my PS3 but the games feel pretty complete without it.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

One of the things I hate the most about DLC is that they say that "DLC is something that did not fit the game's budget and is used to keep the game alive longer."
But wait, they sell DLC the same day the game is released...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Zukio wrote:
Sleet wrote:If strategy RPGs count, Fire Emblem: Awakening is pretty much one of the best.
I totally agree with you. I recently got this and it is one of my new favorites of all time! Currently my favorite character is Morgan.
You like her as a character or as a unit?

My favorite character is Henry, followed by Yarne (who is my favorite unit of mine). They're both adorable in their own way.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

WELP. There goes the rest of my video game life for the next few weeks or so (I don't know).

I FINALLY GOT FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING! X3

Gonna go get some food first, and then lay on my bed for the rest of the night. Good bye for an undetermined amount of time, everyone!

EDIT: DERRRRRRRRP. I forget how squishy Fire Emblem characters are early on. Died on the Prologue. X3
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

Sleet wrote:
Zukio wrote:
You like her as a character or as a unit?

My favorite character is Henry, followed by Yarne (who is my favorite unit of mine). They're both adorable in their own way.
I like Morgan as both, I love seeing her supports, and since she is like My Unit she gets really powerful. Henry and Yarne are also pretty interesting, I just wish there were more supports available in game.
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

angelusbr wrote:One of the things I hate the most about DLC is that they say that "DLC is something that did not fit the game's budget and is used to keep the game alive longer."
But wait, they sell DLC the same day the game is released...
Day one DLC is crap, stuff released later IE the stuff for Borderlands 1/2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls ect. that stuff is fine, it completes more of the game, and its perfectly fine without it, day one DLC is only acceptable with like, a new copy of I think Dragon Age: Origin, you got it for free if you had a new copy of the game. That's just borderline okay.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Unrelated to what you guys are talking about, I've been addicted the last few days to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. My team is Riolu(me) and Eevee. I think I might like the spin-off Pokemon games a bit more than the main series lol.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

TarkaTarquol wrote:EDIT: DERRRRRRRRP. I forget how squishy Fire Emblem characters are early on. Died on the Prologue. X3
Just don't rely too much on your crutch unit! I take away their weapons and make them human shields, personally.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Sleet wrote:
TarkaTarquol wrote:EDIT: DERRRRRRRRP. I forget how squishy Fire Emblem characters are early on. Died on the Prologue. X3
Just don't rely too much on your crutch unit! I take away their weapons and make them human shields, personally.
Haha, yea. I know. Frederick is like Titania from Path of Radiance or Seth from Sacred Stones. I just pulled a Leeroy and didn't see what the enemies movements were and if they were in range of my guy. Most were, and I just got hammered from full to zero.

Gotta say, I'm loving it so far, though. The cutscenes are gorgeous (and one of the 3D moments in the 3DS games that doesn't destroy my eyes) and the story is pretty cool. I do wish the touch screen was more integrated into the gameplay, though. Moving units by the touch screen would've been pretty cool. :3
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

TarkaTarquol wrote: I do wish the touch screen was more integrated into the gameplay, though. Moving units by the touch screen would've been pretty cool. :3
That would have been awesome!
I recently beat the game of Hard mode and have been trying to play Lunatic, but it has been extremely difficult. And I have learned of Lunatic +, which sounds extremely painful...
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

I'm currently playing La-Mulana and so far I'm enjoying it. However, if anyone knows where I can find a walkthrough for the original version and NOT the WiiWare version, would someone please bring it up, thanx that'd be great.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Zukio wrote:
TarkaTarquol wrote: I do wish the touch screen was more integrated into the gameplay, though. Moving units by the touch screen would've been pretty cool. :3
That would have been awesome!
I recently beat the game of Hard mode and have been trying to play Lunatic, but it has been extremely difficult. And I have learned of Lunatic +, which sounds extremely painful...
I'm not even going to try Lunatic. I'm about to beat it on Hard and then I'm going to make a new game on Normal Casual. I plan on only using Chrom and the avatar (male) until I get Lucina, who my avatar will marry and have Morgan, who will be born with Aether and Counter. I'll then get her Lifetaker, Galeforce and Armsthrift, make her a Mage Knight, pour every stat up item I get into her, and then solo the rest of the game with her. Mwahahaha!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Is anyone else excited for the Age of Empires 2 HD release on steam next month?o:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Wow, I haven't played that game in years! I used to love it! I might just get that actually, depending on the price.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I remember the age of empires, but I haven't played any of those games in over a decade. I don't know why but I remember a lot of bushes that I sent my villagers to harvest to death.
I like Pie!!!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Duster

Post by Duster »

In AOE2 I remember Making 5 monks and converting nearly all of the enemy players villagers! I burned a lot of time playing that game, but i had fun while doing it!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Age of Empires 2, the game of my childhood.

I actually have a new copy that was officially made and resold in stores. Unfortunately, I don't really play it.

I remember one time I couldn't beat this one level. I was using cheat codes and everything and still got my butt kicked. Yea, I wasn't that good at it, but had a great time playing it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

The demo version of Age of Empires 2 was on all the computers at my middle school. During that one class, when we weren't doing anything, literally everyone was on that game. I also went out and bought a collection of AoE games solely for AoE2. Marco, Polo, Robin Hood, Cheese Steak Jimmy's, Lumberjack, and.... DARNIT. I forgot the cheat for Stone... Oh, and "To Smithereens"
THAT cheat is fuuuuuuuun. X3