Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Alastair

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Alastair »

Dubiousity wrote: Considering your name, I find this post kinda funny.

On the topic of "Dust: And Elysian Tail", I've already beaten and gotten %117 completion (yes, it goes up to %117) on Normal difficulty and have started my Max Difficulty playthrough. The game is spectacular.
I absolutely love dust. I was looking forward to that game coming out for a long time. I'm only about 25% through, and right now I'm at a tricky part so it may take me a little bit to complete it. I was actually playing that game with GreyWolverene yesterday and I was having some trouble lol.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh snap NSMB2 came out. I gotta get ahold of that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Currently playing Dead Space 2 on hard core mode. Only reason I would bother doing this is so I can get the phenominal hand cannon afterwards. Bang bang. Pew pew.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I like DS 2, not 'scary' to me, but defiantly a creepy/atmospheric game with neat sections and some cool enemies. However, that enemy you couldn't kill (I can't recall its name) really got more annoying to me than the one from Dead Space 1. But honestly, its good and I want to play the third game.

That made me think of something else, am I the only one who has never really been afraid of games? I mean, I grew up with Survival Horror games really, I played the Resident Evil games and Silent Hill games, but the scare is really missing to me. I have played Slender and did it with no big AAH! I AM GOING TO DIE AFRAID! MOMMY! moments, I only jumped once when Slenderman had a jump scare I didn't expect. And heck, I got bored of Amnesia fast, because I didn't find it all that interesting. The last game to scare me was Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem on Gamecube because it played with your head and made you feel like your going insane.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:However, that enemy you couldn't kill (I can't recall its name) really got more annoying to me than the one from Dead Space 1. But honestly, its good and I want to play the third game.
In Dead Space 1 it's the Hunter. Dead Space 2 has the Ubermorph, which reminds me of the Hive Mind. I wonder what they'll put in Dead Space 3 to chase Isaac around.
The Grey Wolverine

I would like that, but I wish they did it a bit better, I think it was just a bit to fast in the second, it should be fast enough to where you are always in fear of it, but not to the point where it s annoying.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Just died. I feel so... sour. :l
exranio

Post by exranio »

So Summer Jam 6 in Philly is up now. Which means I am watching 3 streams at once.

Team Spooky Mainstream Fighters AKA Capcom
http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun 3D fighters
Stickbug Stream "Anime" Fighters

So games being played include Street Fighter 4 and 3, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Arcana Heart, Melty Blood, Persona 4 Arena, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom (which I hate now), Street Fighter X Tekken, and I am pretty Sure Tekken and Skull Girls are there somewhere.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Picture this. You've made it to the final boss of an RPG after spending the better part of three hours preparing yourself, and this has gone on well into the wee hours of the morning. Okay, you start. You're doing well so far. Made it to the last phase and it's been about half an hour you've started. Things are getting tougher, but it's still doable. It's on its last legs, you're so close that you can almost taste victory...

Then it uses a move that does 200+ damage, takes control of the player character, and makes him kill your last remaining teammate. Then you die.

Yeah. Love you, too, Persona 3.
*cough*
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Stuff. wrote:Yeah. Love you, too, Persona 3.
LOL. Dis guy mad.

Nah, for real though, that sucks dude. I never really played many RPGs outside of Fire Emblem, so I can't say I know that feel. But still. My sympathies, sir.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
exranio

Post by exranio »

I played that. Worse things can happen on that boss.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

Bang bang. Pew pew. I got it!
The Grey Wolverine

HORRAY!

So, I have decided to play Twilight Princess again, because I have never beaten it before
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

You've played it, yet never finished it?
The Grey Wolverine

No, I haven't played the game since I was 11, and I was bad at games back then
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

I've actually been replaying it on the side as well.
The Grey Wolverine

I'm only about 2 hours into it, but its a blast
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

You bet it is. And Skyward Sword really develops the motion controls.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:No, I haven't played the game since I was 11, and I was bad at games back then
God I'm old.

Yeah, Skyward Sword's controls are so much better. It helps that SS is a Wii game and not a slightly modified Gamecube game.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Yah, my friend has it on Gamecube, and I'v played both versions, GC version is better, but I still like the game
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I really love the crafting system in gw2.

just saying.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
RootsofOrigin

Post by RootsofOrigin »

By slightly modified do you mean the sword just changes hands?
The Grey Wolverine

Its the gamecube version, with poorly done and relativity inarticulate motion controls
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

When videogames make you a weeks salary in profit. (I don't work many hours):

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I can't believe people are sad enough to buy an item inside a video game for $40...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Especially since finding items is pretty much the whole objective of the game...
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Why is it sad to buy an item in a game?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

44R0NM10 wrote:I can't believe people are sad enough to buy an item inside a video game for $40...
I have a friend that's made $1800+ so far. There's ALWAYS a market for selling items in games. I personally made ~$200 just by showing up to raid because we sold gear for money and gold to people.

No point in calling it sad, many of the people that buy items have too much money and not enough time to grind out the items to make them have an enjoyable experience.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Buying items in games is fine, if it's a micro-transaction (as Free-to-play games call them). I must admit, I'm guilty of putting $10 on League of Legends to buy skins/champions. $40 in one transaction is a bit too much in my opinion.

But, as Sleet says, putting time into games for the stuff is supposed to be part of the fun. That, and almost every MMO has got Real World Item Trading as being against the rules of the game. If you don't have enough time to put into the game, then surely you don't need to spend a a couples days work of money on a single item. You could buy a new, decent game with $40...
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

If you have no time to play because you have all sorts of other Real Life responsibilities (Kids, Work, etc.) and you just want to come home and have some fun in, say, Diablo 3...what do you get to do? You get to level and find some gear, possibly. You would likely play at MOST a few hours at a time. Do you know how long it would be until you found any GOOD items? A really, really long time. If you have the money, as many people do have, you could cut out all of that time farming that you can't do and simply buy the item that will enable you to have some more fun.

Nobody likes to be underpowered. Yes, the entire point of D3 is grinding and getting gear, but there's always been a market for selling items to people without the time or luck.
44R0NM10 wrote:You could buy a new, decent game with $40...
If they're buying an item for a game they enjoy playing with what little time they have, what time would they otherwise be spending on another game? They have their fun with the items they bought, there's no real reason to disparage them for it.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's a market for them, but I'm just saying it's a bad idea to buy them. Whether or not you have great gear you're still playing the same game. It doesn't exactly make the game more fun to you to be fighting more powerful enemies with more powerful weapons. At the end of the day the whole reward behind the game is advancement, but if you pay money to skip that reward, what have you gained? Diablo is fun even if you don't have the best gear.

Sometimes buying things in-game is acceptable. If it makes the game more fun, then good for you. But if it artificially lets you skip some of the progression in the game, that's different entirely. Stronger gear is not the same thing as fundamentally gameplay-improving stuff.
FlintTheSquirrel

Problem is in Diablo, getting the items you want will either take running the same dungeon 200 times, or getting very lucky and also finding that lucky thing that fits your class. Dunno why someone would spend $50 for something that is sub-par, but I won't complain.

It was the first set item I have ever got in 180 hours of gameplay if that clears up how rare they are.
exranio

Post by exranio »

One really has to question how you stop buying items from other players. I mean seriously, what are you supposed to do about that? The only thing you can do is hope someone reports, and most people frankly don't care because it doesn't matter what others do with money.

There is nothing you can do about this unless you disable trading. Which is just a horrible idea and no one should do it.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Runescape did that, or set in game prices for everything. You could still trade, but it had to be within so much of the recommended price. To give items to friends, they had lending, where you could lend items for up to 24 hours I believe.

Honestly, it worked. It stopped scamming, and the system got better and better. Then suddenly they stopped caring about real world item trading, and went back to their old system. In my opinion, all the hard work just went down the drain because of it. Runescape's full of spammers in every world selling gold for money. It's also filled with bots. I mean, it was never good, but now it's worse than ever.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Personally I think that sounds horrible becuase it also prevents just giving stuff to friends. If I have a Fan of +89 Cool and my character can't use fans, I should just be able to hand it off towards my friend and he should have it. And the trading thing gameplay wise, I do not believe causes a big issue, except for the cases of PvP which then it entirely depends on the game's PvP. The worst part is the spam, which could be relatively quelled, but just accepting the fact that this exists, and trying to heard all the sellers into select areas.
FlintTheSquirrel

Umm, Diablo just has a Gold Market Place and a Real-World market place. No one actually trades in this game I think, or I never see it happen in any case.

There is no town hub or anything in this game, just running the same missions over and over with up to 4 people. And the rest is menus I guess.
exranio

Post by exranio »

We're speaking generally at this point. And what is that fat thing in your pic Flinty?
FlintTheSquirrel

It's Heropon Riki! Best character ever in Xenoblade.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So I just finished Dust got 117% but I guess the completion rate glitched out on me. It only gave me 114%, even though I had everything in the game (all Friends,100% on every map,all items, and all 21 quests ect.) I triple checked just to be sure. So now I'm going to start practicing for a Normal Any% speed run, this is likely to make the game actually challenging on Normal since that game is rather easy on that level.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

IceKitsune wrote:So I just finished Dust got 117% but I guess the completion rate glitched out on me. It only gave me 114%, even though I had everything in the game (all Friends,100% on every map,all items, and all 21 quests ect.) I triple checked just to be sure. So now I'm going to start practicing for a Normal Any% speed run, this is likely to make the game actually challenging on Normal since that game is rather easy on that level.
Did you 4-Star all of the Cirelian Trials?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012