Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Kyuunado

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Kyuunado »

That's because they realized you can sell a console at a high price that more people will buy, along with controls, memory cards and games.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Rico

Post by Rico »

I always thought console gaming was cheaper. I had to upgrade my PC every year to keep it at top specs and over 4 years (what used to be the average life of a console) I spent way more than what a console would have cost!
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Yeah, PC gaming has a lot of advantages but it costs a lot more and requires more knowledge of the system. When I get a new PC game I usually spend the first day or so messing around trying to get it working properly. Consoles aren't as powerful and you can't use mods and stuff but when I put in a game I know it's going to work straight away. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

My advice on buying games? Wait a year after it comes out, or two, for good measure. It will become EXTRAORDINARILY cheaper after that time.

And it's also a good idea to look for games that have a lot of content, yet lower graphic specifications. Less is more, as they say.

By the way, Does anyone happen to know cool comedic fantasy games the likes of Overlord, the Bard's Tale, Orcs Must Die!, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, and others like that? And, of course, it would be a gigantic bonus for me if they were available for PC.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Silly Zealot wrote:By the way, Does anyone happen to know cool comedic fantasy games the likes of Overlord, the Bard's Tale, Orcs Must Die!, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, and others like that? And, of course, it would be a gigantic bonus for me if they were available for PC.
I'd say Diskworld, but we're talkin' about CURRENT games :P
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Silly Zealot wrote:My advice on buying games? Wait a year after it comes out, or two, for good measure. It will become EXTRAORDINARILY cheaper after that time.
Though the downside there is you don't get to be psyched for a new game while everyone else is. The hype and shared experience is part of the fun of a new game!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

That depends solely on whether you are hyped up by it or not. I for one, am not sure if modern games are less exiting now or I am just getting older.
I plan on finding a space in my room to set up the original Xbox. Halo is still good. :D
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I've only played games in a videogame console about, I don't know, ten times in my whole life, give or take?
With friends and family that I was paying a visit to, so obviously, I inmedeately discard a game from my "I'd buy it" list if it's a console exclusive, which makes me be completely out of place in this thread.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Unless your on PC with games, then you Are relevant
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Unless your on PC with games, then you Are relevant
That's why I'm asking for them comical fantasy PC games.

Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

Silly Zealot wrote:By the way, Does anyone happen to know cool comedic fantasy games the likes of Overlord, the Bard's Tale, Orcs Must Die!, The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot, and others like that? And, of course, it would be a gigantic bonus for me if they were available for PC.
Dungeon Defenders. It's a Tower Defence RPG with a whole load of extra content , DLC and stuff. While it isn't very comedic, it's still fun and very addicting.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Who has played Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney? Because I'm stuck and have no idea what to do.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I played it. what you do is save and try presenting and pressing everything individually :3
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm stuck at the part where Phoenix is framed for killing Mia. I can't figure out the contradiction in Redd White's second testimony.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

It was Professor Plum in the Kitchen....

Never played Phoenix Wright but I really want to. If you're really stuck you could always check a walkthrough?
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Yeah, but then I'd have to scroll down and look for about 10 minutes until I find the right thing.
You know, I've always wanted to play Katamari Damacy.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Lifio13 wrote:Dungeon Defenders. It's a Tower Defence RPG with a whole load of extra content , DLC and stuff. While it isn't very comedic, it's still fun and very addicting.
I've read of that game, but I really hate tower defense games. I'm more of a bash and explode everything with complete disregard of lasting consequences kind of gamer. But thank you, nonetheless.

I also found this very interesting game, which I can't comprehend how it went completely under the radar after such a beautiful trailer!

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Well i did find that mildly amusing, but it was also just a bad game.

By the way i would also recommend Dungeon defenders, but only if you had some friends to play it with.
Orcs must die is very similar that it is also a third person action game mixed with tower defense in a very similar way it just has a different attitude and sense of humor.
in all honesty i do think Dungeon defenders is better than OMC, even if you do play it by yourself.

I also recently picked up roughly five or so games over on GOG just earlier today as well, only ran me 25 bucks. (UNepic, Zafehouse, Waking mars, Ghost Recon, and Strike suit zero.)
I nabbed torchlight for free as well at the very beginning of the sale, all of you should check the place out. I've already started in on UNepic and Torchlight, and i have to say both of em' are fun but I'll have to figure out which one I'll play first because i can see using them for the same purpose as a podcast listening game.
I'd really recommend checking out Faster than light (AKA FTL), the first or second Fallout, Gemini Rue which is an excellent point&click adventure game by wadjet eye games.
and Miasmata, which is kind of a bizarre game but i personally really liked it. all of these games excluding Miasmata only currently run you about five bucks, and Miasmata only 8$

what what? Jolly good time.
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Speaking of point-and-click adventure games, has anyone ever heard of The Neverhood? I've heard many good things about that game.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Ctrl + F is your friend when searching walkthroughs. :3
--
I'm a complete derp. For so long, I've been waiting for the Okami HD release for PS3, only to never see it in GameStop, and being the derp that I am, never really searched for it online, either... Until about one hour ago. Decided to search it up on Google, found a review that said "Available on PlayStation Store," and my forehead got reacquainted with my desk.

Okami was soooo much fun on the Wii, but the controls were wonky as heck. I'm kinda curious about how using the analog stick to draw is gonna work out, but we'll see. Okami is one of my favourite games, and now I own it again!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The original Okami was for the PS2 and the drawing was kind of awkward.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

I'm actually having just as much trouble on the PS3 as I did in the Wii... mainly with circles...
Seriously, why is it so hard to draw a circle!? That's even my main problem when actually drawing! T_T

...At least lines are easier. Power Slash on the Wii was a pain for me to pull off, even using the straight-draw. I'd always skew it after hitting the Z button and there was no going back. Also no wonky sensor bar read fails spazzing out the brush. Plus attacking is easier too. Can't wait until I get my Glaive back. :3

Ah well. The Great Divine Intervention cutscenes after reviving a Guardian Sapling are just gorgeous in HD. I swear, I get chills when I see them now. And the music is still as awesome as ever, even more so now that I have a decent headset I'm able to plug into my PS3. Cannot wait until I get back to Ryoshima Coast... or the final boss. ^^;
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

hypernovatic wrote:Who has played Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney? Because I'm stuck and have no idea what to do.
ALL OF THEM. Whatcha need?
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Okami is a great game, but drawing was more difficult than anticipated. Having prior knowledge of Shinto gods actually helped, surprisingly.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've been wanting to play Okami for FOREVER. But when I saw it in GameStop I didn't have enough money to get it.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You gotta love a game that's a blatant Zelda clone but is done so incredibly well (and is gorgeous enough) that you don't really hold it against it.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

It's not a full Zelda clone because it has a jump button.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

That and link became a wolf after Okami came out. :P
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

hypernovatic wrote:It's not a full Zelda clone because it has a jump button.
Never played "Zelda II: Adventure of Link" and "Link's Awakening" before? ;)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I have, but those didn't pop into my mind when I typed it.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Zelda II is the only game you can jump without an item or attacking. And Awakening is the only game where the bow is optional. :lol:
Last edited by Kyuunado on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Zelda II is the only game you can jump without an item or attacking. And Awakening is the only game where the now is optional. :lol:
Well... you can jump in "The faces of Evil" and "The Wand of Gamelon" (for CD-i) too. ;) (But yeah... those aren't "true" zelda-games for me :D )
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

...Why are people comparing Okami to Legend of Zelda? That's a first for me. I can't see any similarities in gameplay between the two that aren't just basic game mechanics, really. I mean... WHAT?! Just... no...

On another note, just played League of Legends for the first time. I was kinda thinking I'd get owned... but I actually held my own quite well. Prior experience with Dota 2 must've helped. One thing I gotta say... I LOVE THE SHOP UI IN LOL! That was one of the most frustrating parts in Dota 2, having ten different shop NPCs and no reliable way to collect recipe items without going and searching for all components. Now, it's all done soooooo wonderfully.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Hukley wrote:
Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Zelda II is the only game you can jump without an item or attacking. And Awakening is the only game where the now is optional. :lol:
Well... you can jump in "The faces of Evil" and "The Wand of Gamelon" (for CD-i) too. ;) (But yeah... those aren't "true" zelda-games for me :D )
To be fair, those are non cannon.

So, I was playing a lot of Ocarina of Time today, Majora's Mask is still my favorite Zelda game, but this one isn't bad
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

TarkaTarquol wrote:...Why are people comparing Okami to Legend of Zelda? That's a first for me. I can't see any similarities in gameplay between the two that aren't just basic game mechanics, really. I mean... WHAT?! Just... no...
What's different about them other than the art style?
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Sleet wrote:
TarkaTarquol wrote:...Why are people comparing Okami to Legend of Zelda? That's a first for me. I can't see any similarities in gameplay between the two that aren't just basic game mechanics, really. I mean... WHAT?! Just... no...
What's different about them other than the art style?
Before I attempt to answer that, let me try and figure out if these are why people compare them...

Dungeon crawlers
Amaterasu = Link
Issun = Navi/Tatl/annoying fairy being that's not as awesome as Issun I may be a bit biased...

Ganondorf = Orochi? Possibly Yami

Celestial Brush = ...The wide range of items Link carries?

Both have sidequests... But this all just seems like stretching things a bit. I mean, is it just because they're both dungeon crawlers and have small sidequests that make them similar? Those are game mechanics that many other games employ and not really a good 'comparison,' in my opinion. It's like comparing apples and oranges because they're both fruit.
And now for everyone to disprove me, cuz this is another one of my rants that I don't really have good data to support and just say what first comes to mind...
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Though I never played any Zelda games, from what little videos I've seen in Youtube, the basis between the two games are similar. The original creators of Ookami even mentioned that they got some of their inspirations from several Zelda games.

Frankly speaking though, I still prefer Ookami just because of its Sumi-e art style.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've always wanted to play Katamari Damacy. I've watched videos of it and they were hilarious.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The protagonist of that game has a chinesse finger trap with a face for a head! Hahaha!

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

ROYAL RAINBOW!
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT