Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

So I beat Bioshock Infinite on Friday night.

Blew my mind. Twice.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

On that note, I've not completed Bioshock Infinite yet, but the immersion is incredible.

On /that/ note, I think Metro Last Light has even better immersion.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

44R0NM10 wrote:On that note, I've not completed Bioshock Infinite yet, but the immersion is incredible.

On /that/ note, I think Metro Last Light has even better immersion.
I haven't been able to try either, but they both look so cool! Even despite the fact that I have a natural feel of reject towards heavy U.S.A. symbolism.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Mickey the Luxray

Silly Zealot wrote:Even despite the fact that I have a natural feel of reject towards heavy U.S.A. symbolism.
Trust me, they play it out well. The symbolism actually adds to the substance of the game.

Also, quick question, are you better with precision guns or do you spray and pray? Because if you're more of a marksman then I recommend Sniper Rifle and Shotgun as your weapons choices c: I kept that loadout >90% of the campaign. It never failed me.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Oh, and Bioshock has some of the best melee of any first person shooter ever. I didn't think anything could beat Bioshock 2 in that area but they made the melee executions oh so satisfying.
Last edited by 44R0NM10 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey the Luxray

I never could time it right. They make me HOLD Y to execute. Kinda hard when the skull only appears above them for, like, a split second. BC
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Well, I did say that I liked it in spite of the symbolism. Afte all, it is used in no small part to show that the characters of the game are insolationists and chauvinistic.

I am currently playing a lot of in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Personally, I would have preferred that Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 would have been followed by a third, but this game is quite interesting and apealling. The developers analyzed other MMOs and the customers feedback quite well.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I was fond of The Old Republic, not to mention I was playing when it cost money so I get some decent benefits now on the game. It's fun, I'm unsure if it's better than WoW though...

...Or are we past the era of comparing every MMO to WoW?
Mickey the Luxray

MMO's have evolved, although I'd say that WoW would still be the benchmark in many aspects.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

44R0NM10 wrote:I was fond of The Old Republic, not to mention I was playing when it cost money so I get some decent benefits now on the game. It's fun, I'm unsure if it's better than WoW though...

...Or are we past the era of comparing every MMO to WoW?
That era will pass when every MMO will stop trying to be exactly like Wow! xP
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. Also I heard WoW is losing members correct?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Been playing Monster Hunter:U and nothing but. Need more people to hunt with.
Mickey the Luxray

So I went to this arcade today.

THEY HAD ASTEROIDS.

I realize now that I am terrible at it.

BUT THEY ALSO HAD CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY.

But I never got to play it.

BUT THEY ALSO HAD SUPER MARIO BROTHERS.

Didn't get to play it either.

...Yeah, you can already see where this is going.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:So I went to this arcade today.

THEY HAD ASTEROIDS.

I realize now that I am terrible at it.

BUT THEY ALSO HAD CONKER'S BAD FUR DAY.

But I never got to play it.

BUT THEY ALSO HAD SUPER MARIO BROTHERS.

Didn't get to play it either.

...Yeah, you can already see where this is going.
You bought them all, we get it!

TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Y'know, in all my gaming years, I actually do not think I've ever played through the original NES Super Mario Bros. I may have played World 1-1 and up a bit, but actually going through start to finish... I don't think I've ever.
Mickey the Luxray

Oh, I guess I never mentioned that SMB was in an arcade cabinet. The oldest console that they had set up there was an N64. c|
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

TarkaTarquol wrote:Y'know, in all my gaming years, I actually do not think I've ever played through the original NES Super Mario Bros. I may have played World 1-1 and up a bit, but actually going through start to finish... I don't think I've ever.
I've gotten as far as 8-2 but it was really hard (I was like 15) then I lost the save file and I haven't tried it again yet.

What I have tried is the original Megaman. It is BONKERS hard. The bosses in the Dr. Wily stage are so many levels of unfair, you end up playing each one 15 times because you keep dying just at the boss. I managed to finish it though, eventually...

Well, now onto Megaman 2!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

MegaMan. Yet another NES series I've not even touched. My only exposure to MegaMan is through the N64 port of "MegaMan Legends," which is way off the beaten path for normal MegaMan games anyways.

I think this all has to deal with me coming into gaming when the Super Nintendo was the current generation console, and that was quickly put out with the release of the N64.

I guess I could go and grab a ROM of them. That's something I wondered about this thread, is talk of emulation allowed? :3
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

The first console I ever had was a Playstation, and then I soon got a GameBoy and they were the only consoles we had for a good many years, despite the SNES, N64, Xbox and Gamecube all being around while I was alive. We didn't even get a PS2 until like 2006. The only reason I've played any old games is because a friend had a SNES and I now have the 3DS eShop. Also, several old games were remade for the GameBoy; the first games I ever had included Mario & Yoshi, Asteroids, Missile Command, Tetris, Galaga and Galaxian.

Announcing or encouraging the use of emulators is frowned upon but I'm pretty sure we've had a few discussions about them and piracy in general. I could just be completely confused on the subject though.

Speaking of, did you guys hear about Game Dev Tycoon? The statistics are both heartbreaking and completely baffling but that is the best double whammy ever!

I'm on DeviantArt now!
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Anyone here hyped for E3 2013? I know I am.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

TarkaTarquol wrote:Y'know, in all my gaming years, I actually do not think I've ever played through the original NES Super Mario Bros. I may have played World 1-1 and up a bit, but actually going through start to finish... I don't think I've ever.
You should! It gets pretty challenging near the end.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

I'm looking forward to E3! I want to hear more about Sonic Lost World, the new Sonic Game that's been announced for WiiU and 3DS. As so far, we only have this teaser image.

Oh and more about X and Y at E3 would be awesome too!
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Sleet wrote:
You should! It gets pretty challenging near the end.
I'm sure the hardcore gamer in my could do it... Though I actually cannot remember the last time I played a platformer...

E3. How I wish I could actually attend that in person. Though it is always fun to watch the three big game corporations teaser out new games. I'm curious about where Sony is going. But I'm sure I'll miss it cuz I'll forget. X3
Mickey the Luxray

Lifio13 wrote:As so far, we only have this teaser image.
That globe... thing, reminds me of Settlers of Catan. Probably the hexagonal land pieces.

Apparently there's going to be a Free-to-Play Ridge Racer, named Driftopia.

And there's no way I'm going to try it. Bugbear is the developer of Driftopia, and they developed Unbounded, which is only a Ridge Racer in name.
None of the Ridge Racer universe was present. The Nitrous system was from Burnout, the drifting was like Need for Speed, the cars were generic and badly designed, they used outsourced music, the focus was on destruction, not racing, and basically Bugbear performed sacrilege on every single part of Ridge Racer that let it last 20 years on it's own!

It's a disgrace to the series, and to think that Namco had the nerve to let Bugbear screw up the game even more, when fans have been crying out for Ridge Racer 8! :evil: It makes me sick how they're suddenly selling out like this.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So what's everyone's thoughts about Xbox One? I'm not super impressed, myself, but I'm going to reserve judgment for now.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:So what's everyone's thoughts about Xbox One? I'm not super impressed, myself, but I'm going to reserve judgment for now.
Lets see no backwards compatibility with the 360,need to connect to the internet at least once a day or you can't play,can't use it without the Kinect 2 connected to it,can't play used games with out paying a fee (which from what I've heard is going to be around 60 bucks) and more focused on TV and multimedia things then games. I'm very disappointed with that reveal and thought it was boring as heck. As it stands I'm gonna pass right now unless the E3 blows me away.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

It basically sounds like, "they brought the 360 so they can't be that smart right?"
It sounds stupid, the other consoles on the market don't need to be paid for each service, this is just the point where they try to get money. The naming isn't what was expected either, if it was better it would be a 720, not 360 times less.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Meh, a halo TV series made with Stephen Spielberg was the best news. Other than that, I don't even think the Xbox one should be in the video game thread. It's too..."Everything in One".
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

Xbox One? Yeesh... That's kinda lame, especially going from Xbox -> Xbox 360. Seriously, the name had been made for it since the 360 came out, why not go with it? Xbox One... You are one with the Xbox? Is that the slogan they're going for?

Meh, I don't follow Microsoft that well. Granted, I don't even follow Sony's PS4 that well, but that's because I'm in no current position to really care about that...

...On a completely unrelated note, nostalgia bomb alert: anyone remember Glover for the N64? The Game Grumps reminded me of the crazy-hard yet fun times I had with that game... as well as reminding me that yet another game from my childhood has gone unbeaten... ^^; I BLAME THAT CHICKEN! X3
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

TinFoilHats wrote:Anyone here hyped for E3 2013? I know I am.
I would be excited about it, if it wasn't because my birthday will be coming a few days before that! Maybe if I behave extremely good, my family will grant it to me....

Also, did someone mention kinect? I love kinect! I never played, I must confess, but it still amazes me! Aside from movement and vocal sensitive technology, which is a marvel of ingenuity in itself, the most precious part of it is the Star Wars kinect!

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I started listening to a gaming podcast about the Xbox One, which I had heard nothing about before now, and totally by chance logged in here. All in all, what I'm hearing and reading isn't selling me on the next generation of consoles much.

It all sounds far too expensive and too interconnected to be easy to just plug in and play. I don't spend my life on my console or even my TV and making my console more like my computer isn't going to change that much.

The moment there are ads in my games that break up the game play more than loading, I will literally and conceptually switch off my console.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah I just don't see anything about it that will make me feel inadequate with just a Wii U and a PS4.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

SMB3 for the win! That games awesome but I find it harder to play because he has more traction in the new games. First mini fort fly up using tanuki Mario to get the warp whistle :D
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:So what's everyone's thoughts about Xbox One? I'm not super impressed, myself, but I'm going to reserve judgment for now.

But seriously, it requires to go online once a day and Microsoft won't allow indie studios to self-publish? All a bit behind the times.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Mickey the Luxray

If it's any consolation for those who feel that the Xbox One is a ripoff, it looks like the Steam Box will be coming out later this year. What's better? There's no motion gaming, there's no crappy bundled games (remember, this is Valve we're talking about here, bundles will most likely include Half-Life 2 or Portal/Portal 2) and best of all, it's one of those little modular computers that will be easily upgradable... meaning that when the components inside get too old to play the most modern games, Valve could release Upgrade Packs for the Steam Box that lets the console run those new games acceptably.

There may be hope yet. Fingers crossed.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Wait Valve is good but won't that mean purchased content and weapons in games like TF2? That basically ruined the game for me. Half-life. Yes... YES!!... YES!!!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Steam Box? You mean my computer?
Mickey the Luxray

Sleet wrote:Steam Box? You mean my computer?
Not sure if you're joking or if you've never heard...
TarkaTarquol

Post by TarkaTarquol »

I'm in the dark on the Steam Box as well. I heard Steam was coming out with their own console, but a console with upgradeable parts..? Sounds like a computer instead of a console.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Wait Valve is good but won't that mean purchased content and weapons in games like TF2? That basically ruined the game for me. Half-life. Yes... YES!!... YES!!!!!

Why did weapons and stuff ruin tf2 for you?o.o
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW