Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Buster
Game Master

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Buster »

Barring glitches, the only ending you can get on your first run through is neutral. the side quests for the pacifist ending, and the "running out of monsters" effect in the first area for the other ending aren't supposed to unlock until after you've fought flowey.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I thought you could do the sidequests on your first playthrough and that the hints at the end only showed up if you didn't, thus prompting a second run through. Of course, I haven't played the game since last year.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Nope, Undyne's letter wont trigger if you haven't met Omega Flowey.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I just finished Breath of the Wild, after all this time.

Maaaaaan. That is one heck of a game. I loved it so much.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So a new trailer for a new feature in the upcoming Sonic Forces dropped earlier

It honestly looks interesting, and I'm hoping it'll be better than the system we got in MK: Armageddon.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The character creator looks cool! Even though all sorts of awful OCs will be made with it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

And of course the trailer they go with shows a bright red mashup of four different things... Which means that Generic The Whatever (recurring inside joke among some fans, spawned from Power Rings' OC Parody Character Generic The Hedgehog) is now canon...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

According to materials, this character is the Wolf character model.

You know, I'm wondering if people are going to attempt to recreate the characters that have yet to appear in the Sonic games, or who haven't appeared in years. I'd say Sally, but it doesn't seem that ground squirrel is an option. Or is she a chipmunk? Never got too into the comics.

Maybe Sonia and Manic from the Sonic Underground series are possible? Hedgehog is a selectable species. Fang the Sniper could probably pass with a wolf model.

Of course, this is assuming you can change the color. I'd be surprised if that wasn't doable.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote: Of course, this is assuming you can change the color. I'd be surprised if that wasn't doable.
Yeah it's under the option "skin color". Weird. Considering it's fur and feathers. Should just call it body color.
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Okay, just finished Undertale again, this time on the Pacifist route. Holy mother of all good things, the amount of mind-boggling twists and turns this game throws at you. I mean, I knew I was gonna run into Asriel at some point. I accidentally read a bit on that, but I was not expecting him to be FLOWEY of all monsters. Also, can I just say the sudden change of tone in the game freaked the HECK out of me? Like, we go from a cute little date between the main character and Alphys, which then escalated to something involving Papyrus and Undyne, and then to the true secret lab. It got dark way too quickly, both figuratively and literally. I haven't had that sort of experience since the first KH game when I played the first time.

Sigh, but now this means I'll have to do the Genocide route next time I play. I'm gonna feel really awful now. Oh well.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What if they're all shaved and that is their skin?
Deske

Post by Deske »

Shaved for aerodynamics.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gotta go fast.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

(Takes a peek into this topic with a hockey mask and axe)
Friday the 13th is so good. :3
Love playing Jason and the counselors. and the soundtrack is ripped straight from the movies. it's unbelievably good.
(Goes back to the woods)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Deske

Post by Deske »

*Somewhere in the distance I rocket explodes. However, it was unmanned, thus it remains unknown whether it made a sound*
Kerbal Space Program has been purchased by Take Two Interactive. The same company that owns Rockstar and 2K Games. No idea what this'll mean for KSP. Still, I've got planets to visit and science to science.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it probably means KSP will eventually get a sequel rather than staying a oneshot.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Can't wait for the photorealism.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Or perhaps ports to more places.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:Can't wait for the photorealism.
I wish that fad would just die already.

Stylized graphics stand the test of time much better than "realistic" because they're SUPPOSED to look simplistic rather than it being a flaw of hardware age and are often designed around using that rather than hiding it, besides which they eat WAY less processing power, which saves more room for things like advanced physics
(which is where most of KSP's goes. Proper Newtonian physics is taxing to emulate, and have led to ksp's infamous Kracken Bug where corners were cut.), better ai, and procedural generation systems, which can contribute to the far more important half of a game: gameplay (the first, lesser half, being story and presentation. of which graphical fidelity is only one small piece).
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The fad already is kind of up. Stylized graphics are big these days!

And I'm glad. Photorealism works for some types of games so I don't have anything against it, I just really enjoy when games aren't photorealistic.

The fad I'd like to see gone is ugly 8 bit graphics. Sometimes retro works but other times it's just lazy.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Deske wrote:Kerbal Space Program has been purchased by Take Two Interactive. The same company that owns Rockstar and 2K Games. No idea what this'll mean for KSP.
Microtransactions.

Look forward to premium rocket fuel!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I think 8-bit is fun. It's just a matter of how good you are at it x3

Granted, it is indeed out of date and i prefer an original modern game myself, but i'm a sucker for the art, not the graphics. Megaman for example. x3
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

GameCobra wrote:I think 8-bit is fun. It's just a matter of how good you are at it
the problem is making any low-bit (4, 8, 16, or 32. doesn't matter, they all have this issue to some degree.) sprite that actually looks like something coherent, takes a fair bit of effort due to limited space and pallets, while high-bit sprites are basically just vector drawings without the built in AA filter. both require actual drawing skill, but a lot of the people using them seem to think only the latter do and are are using the former because they lack said skills.

sadly, it shows. which is i suspect what sleet was referring to with it 'looking lazy'.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

What if you had tons of space though, but just wanted to keep it 8-bit? From my knowledge about these things, you could save tons of memory if you just went 8-bit for example.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i wasn't talking memory when i said size. part of what defines a bittage is scale, the other part is pallet depth. true 8 bit graphics are made out of uniformly sized tiles. as a result they tend to have sizes that are standardized multiples of 8. 8x8, 16x16, 16x24, 16x32, 32x32.

same for 4, 16, & 32 bit, just with those numbers scaled up or down proportionately.

Games with 'retro' graphics don't have that limitation, because their engines are actually built for High-Bit sprites not Low Bit, which have much more flexible formats, they try to emulate it for the sake of consistent aesthetic though.

as for memory, sprites in general eat less video memory and processing power than even the simplest polygon model, because they take up the space of said renderer's texture library, but have none of the other components like meshes rigs material maps particles or shaders. everything beyond that is more about the efficiency of your engine than the scale of your sprites.

you could have an 8bit game that runs terribly just as easily as a 32 bit one that runs great, (or if you're using RPG Maker, one that somehow runs slower than an unoptimized homade engine half the time with no rhyme or reason, as we saw with the game project in the other section...) because as i said, most of the modern engines are made for High-Bit (thats anything too big to fit the numbered 'low bit' groups BTW) Sprites.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't usually mind if they intentionally make it look 8-bit, as long as it looks good. Often it doesn't. Sometimes it's a shortcut for poor design disguised as an aesthetic choice.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

E3 is looking sick this year.

While the Kingdom Hearts 3 Trailer was a good (and winded) introduction, they then show us Dragon Ball FighterZ, then Metroid Prime 4, then Super Mario Odyssey... holy crap.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

As a Microsoft fanboy, even I have to say that their conference was lacking a lot. They barely had anything significant to offer besides original XBox compatibility and the XBox One X
ME WANTS HALOOOOO
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wonder what it's nickname is going to be?

XboxodX? (okay, this one is just me being silly)
XBonX?
BonuX?

glad to see there's FINALLY another Metroid game on the Horison. Hopefully a good one; between hating motion controls, spinoffs that miss the point by a parsec, and a certain Other Mistake that should never have made it out of development, there hasn't been one of those in a while for me.

Also, i never thought i'd see a collectible figurine game i actually liked the idea of, but those starfighters don't look that bad... I just hope the accompanying game doesn't rely on them to the point of having no depth beyond them like a certain Activision series.

Get those on the shelves and working properly, and one or two more games my style, might mean a need to pick up my first console since the fall of the Gamecube...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

THERE IS SO MUCH I NEED TO BUY FOR THE SWITCH. T_T

Heck, even Mario XCOM looks good and I really dislike Rabbids...
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Sleet wrote:THERE IS SO MUCH I NEED TO BUY FOR THE SWITCH. T_T

Heck, even Mario XCOM looks good and I really dislike Rabbids...
Rabbids are like the Ubisoft minions. They never should have been separated from the Rayman games
Liam

Post by Liam »

So, anyone here played the original Beyond Good & Evil? Because that trailer...
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Anyone else really looking forward to Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm mostly just waiting for the eventual Switch game, myself! One Sun/Moon was enough for me, personally.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I'm just hoping Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon has more end game content that Sun and Moon. Sure there's Hyper training and the Battle Tree but then nowhere to train up your team and farming for shards to use on the level 100's to hyper train. The end just became a terrible grind, so I sort out all that stuff on Alpha Sapphire. :p
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

One of these days Nintendo needs to make a Pokémon game with enough content to level all the way to 100 without having to do a bunch of grinding with Pokémon significantly weaker than yours.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

thats what glitching in 999 rare candy is for.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Can you even do that anymore?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

heck if i know, i stopped playing back when the games were still rendered in monochrome.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

There will always be a method.