Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Megamaster

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Megamaster »

Sleet wrote:
Megamaster wrote:Playing Final Fantasy Tactics. Dying a lot.
The original? I haven't played it but FFTA is one of my favorite games of all time. :D
Yeah. The orginal. Abusing a glitch but it's still hard.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

FFT can be hard, especially if you are playing for the first time. Take your time, and learn about the game mechanics. It'll be worth it in the end.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

kurowolfe wrote:FFT can be hard, especially if you are playing for the first time. Take your time, and learn about the game mechanics. It'll be worth it in the end.
I don't really need to beat it. Already completed the PSP remake. The only things I like about the Playstation version is the glitch and the fact the language is normal, plain, English instead of middle English like in the PSP version.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, yeah, though the grammar is all over the place. xD

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

kurowolfe wrote:Well, yeah, though the grammar is all over the place. xD
Still not as bad as Suikoden and it's grammar and typos.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've been practicing as Sasuke, Kimimaro, Sakon, and Kiba in Naruto: Ultimate Ninja 4, and I'm really good with them.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I want to play that game!
Naruto Ninja Clash (I think thats the name) is what for the Gamecube.
I want to fight people as Haku and Zabuza!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

*will never get rid of his Playstation's Final Fantasy Tactics*

Not sure what glitch you are talking about, unless you mean the good old broken Samurai Blade Grasp technique.

The game's grammar and Suikoden's grammar gave chills down my spine when I first read them. little details like that were the beauty of Playstation RPGs back then. And Luca Blight.

Suikoden 3 however was quite slow compared to the first two and that was my only real complaint.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

GameCobra wrote:
*will never get rid of his Playstation's Final Fantasy Tactics*

Not sure what glitch you are talking about, unless you mean the good old broken Samurai Blade Grasp technique.
I'm talking about the infamous JP scroll glitch. If you don't know about it, look it up.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Megamaster wrote:I'm talking about the infamous JP scroll glitch. If you don't know about it, look it up.
Just did. Though I actually ain't a fan of glitching when you can discover gems like this:

After beating the game, I realized the monsters on mandalia planes could be farmed ground-up to level 99. I spent the game afterwards customizing two perfect male/female warriors and two perfect male/female casters. In the end, most of the stuff they learned was split over between the other classes and eventually they all became A Female Samurai, Male Knight, Female Dancer and Male Bard with calculator abilities. It was fun and awesome X3
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

GameCobra wrote:
Megamaster wrote:I'm talking about the infamous JP scroll glitch. If you don't know about it, look it up.
Just did. Though I actually ain't a fan of glitching when you can discover gems like this:

After beating the game, I realized the monsters on mandalia planes could be farmed ground-up to level 99. I spent the game afterwards customizing two perfect male/female warriors and two perfect male/female casters. In the end, most of the stuff they learned was split over between the other classes and eventually they all became A Female Samurai, Male Knight, Female Dancer and Male Bard with calculator abilities. It was fun and awesome X3
Eh... that's too much work for me....
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

MrNeonShot wrote:I want to play that game!
Naruto Ninja Clash (I think thats the name) is what for the Gamecube.
I want to fight people as Haku and Zabuza!
I have that one! Haku and Zabuza are okay in Ultimate Ninja 4, but there are much better people to pick from.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Megamaster wrote:Eh... that's too much work for me....
Grinding in Tactics was fun,though. But to each his own, I guess.

Tactics made grinding a lot more enjoyable though with the big class system they had though. =)
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

GameCobra wrote:
Megamaster wrote:Eh... that's too much work for me....
Grinding in Tactics was fun,though. But to each his own, I guess.

Tactics made grinding a lot more enjoyable though with the big class system they had though. =)
Not a big fan of grinding in anything. Especially not Tactics. It takes way too long and I don't have the patience or attention span for it. At least in Disgaea, I could turn off the animations and speed up the process a lot.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GameCobra wrote:After beating the game, I realized the monsters on mandalia planes could be farmed ground-up to level 99. I spent the game afterwards customizing two perfect male/female warriors and two perfect male/female casters. In the end, most of the stuff they learned was split over between the other classes and eventually they all became A Female Samurai, Male Knight, Female Dancer and Male Bard with calculator abilities. It was fun and awesome X3
Making weird combinations is fun! In Tactics Advance, I made my main character a Fighter with Hunt as his secondary action ability and Geomancy as his support. The best Fighter weapon deals dark damage, and Geomancy bumps enemy resistances to all your elemental attacks down one level, so it made virtually everything weak to his attacks. And his Sonic Booms, a Hunter ability that deals the exact same damage as an attack up to 4 spaces away with a 2-square radius. It was basically a Black Mage that puts out crazy damage and doesn't use MP.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

I've almost completed Mario 3D World... this game is a happiness dispenser.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Warning! Video Game Life Story ahead.

You have been warned.

Okay, so the first ever games console I got was way back when i was a wee pup of about, ohhhh, 4 or 5 years old, I'm not sure.
Anyway, it was a Sega Master System of all things and I had Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on it...
and a few other games that I can't remember the names of...though I have vague recollections of the content of a couple of them...
Anyway, I started with Sonic...and I remember, I always liked Tails better than Sonic coz Tails could fly...
I think Tails was the first seed that was planted to grow into my love of foxes.

Then at some point when I was still very young I got a Super Nintendo Entertainment System...
I still have it, too...and it still works and I still have 4 of the games I had for it;
- a tennis game
- a formula 1 racing game
- Zombies (or "Zombies Ate My Neighbours" to you Americans)
- and the classic, the legendary, the original, DOOM.

After the SNES I then moved on to the Playstation 1 and played such greats as;
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA 2
- Command & Conquer (or C+C Tiberium Wars as it's now known)
- Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
- Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
- Wipeout 2097
- Spiderman The Game
- Worms Armageddon
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2,
- the original Medal Of Honor and
- Metal Gear Solid 1
...to name a few that other people might know.

I remember I got the Playstation 2 pretty late on in it's life span as the newest console...
in fact I'm pretty sure they were either about to, or had JUST released the PS3 when I got my PS2...
and on my PS2 I played such greats as;
- Okami
- Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2
- Wipeout Fusion
- Grand Theft Auto 3
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
- Medal Of Honor Frontline
- Canis Canem Edit
- Sonic Heroes
- Shadow The Hedgehog The Game
- Lego Star Wars (both trilogies)
...to name a few that other people might know.

I then got the Playstation 3 in a january sale...pre-owned, of course...a 60-gig one...and on it I played such greats as;
- Assassin's Creed 1
- AC 2
- AC Brotherhood
- Burnout Paradise
- Blur
- Infamous
- Infamous 2
- Marvel V.S. Capcom 3
- Modnation Racers
- Star Wars The Force Unleashed 1 + 2
- (the hellspawn that is) Sonic '06
- Sonic Unleashed
- Sonic Generations
- Test Drive Unlimited 2
- The Sims 3
- Tom Clancy's ENDWAR
- and of course Grand Theft Auto 4 and Saints Row The Third.

My 60-gig PS3 lasted me a long time...but it was an old console, and pretty recently, while I was still in the middle of Saints Row 3, it finally did the yellow light of death on me.
Fortunately at the time I was thinking of getting a fresh one anyway, so that's exactly what I did...and you know what happened?
All the announcements for the Playstation 4 started coming out.

*insert are you EFFing kidding me pic here*

Anyway I started breaking in my new PS3 with finishing off Saints Row 3, then playing through GTA 4 for the umpteeth time trying, and failing, to 100% it,
before moving on into Battlefield 3, as I had seen vids of other people playing Battlefield 3 and thought it looked a fun game so I got it myself, along with a couple of the DLCs...
And you know what happened?
Not long after I got my paws on BF3, the announcements for BF4 started coming out.

*insert ANOTHER are you EFFing kidding me pic here*

Meh...I think I'll wait and get the PS4 version once I get a PS4.
No real point in getting the PS3 version really. It probably sucks compared to the one using the next gen console's capabilities.

Eventually I got bored of BF3 and I'm currently playing a game called Starhawk...a game I'd been meaning to play for ages after a friend I met in GTA 4 online reccommended it.

And now we're up to date, I'll tell y'all about my plans for the future.

Once I've had enough of playing Starhawk, I'm gonna play through those Assassin's Creed games I played through already coz now they'll be updated with achievements and stuff, as when I played them last was before Sony introduced their trophies feature for PSN. I'll be playing through from 1 to Brotherhood and then adding Revelations to my repitoire...I don't have AC 3 or 4 yet...I might get those in due time.
And we'll see where we go from there...that's for the near future, anyway.

I'm definitely getting a Playstation 4 someday in the not-too-near future...and I wanna get the following games for it too;
- Tom Clancy's The Division
- Titanfall
- Infamous Second Son
- Battlefield 4
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Because there's no way Rockstar would be stupid enough to not make their biggest GTA entry yet available for the next gen market)

Yeah, I haven't really played any PC games...I have serious doubts my current laptop is capable of supporting any of those high-end PC games...
it's barely holding together with that social MMORPG game called Second Life.

But that may change once I get my paws on a more up-to-date, more powerful, more harddrive-spacious computer. Then I wanna get my paws on Spore and the latest Simcity...
I love games where you can create stuff...though they tend to get boring when there's no real objective to it like with destroying an enemy base in Command & Conquer.
I may also get Team Fortress 2, World Of Warcraft and...what's that new-ish space-y MMORPG with the furry-esque critters as one of the races? I wanna play that.

I also wanna eventually get my paws on an Xbox 360 for 3 reasons;
- Halo: Reach
- Minecraft
- Destiny
Yes, I know Destiny's gonna be a multi-platform release but I decided to make it my third reason to get an Xbox 360 because OCD.
Also, only Halo Reach coz the other Halo entries look too serious while Reach looks more fun.

And I'm not bothering with the Xbox ONE because EFF Microsoft for thinking it'd be a good idea to call the latest incarnation "ONE"...
Honestly, who the heck came up with that? And why the heck did they think it was a good idea? A better idea woulda been to call it 720 like it was rumoured to be called...
...heck I think they even coulda gone with a latin angle and went with "Xbox Ceta"...
Yo, any Microsoft employee out there, tell your console creating department to name their 4th console the "Xbox Delta"...I guaran-dam-tee you gamers will LOVE the name.

Moving on...I also wanna delve into the handheld market. I've always wanted a PSP and never got around to getting one...
and now they've got a PS Vita out with a Wipeout game and that's only made me want one even more.
I also wanna get a Nintendo 3DS and Poke'mon X because I want an up-to-date Poke'mon game.
The only handheld I have at the moment is a Gameboy Colour that still works and has Poke'mon Yellow on it, among other games. So yeah.

Aaaand I think that pretty much covers everything in my video game life story, so to summarise;

I pretty much started under the wing of Sega, had a brief spell with Nintendo, and then it's been nothing but Sony, Sony, Sony...
and I've always been a step or two behind the latest market of games and/or consoles.

Any questions?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

o.o
that is a long story.
All I got was the xbox part.
Warning, Rant!
So, GI just opened my eyes to something.

Gamers were mad because the Xbox One was an all in one console.
Sony took advantage and basically said "We've always been a gaming company!"
Then, about a month after the release, GI reminded me that the PS1 was the first console to add a cd player. The PS2 was first with the dvd player. The PS3 had blueray.
Now that Microsoft got one over with adding TV, which technically was the WiiU, Sony is suddenly like "Oh, we're way better!"
Well, you know what?!
censor'd You both, Sony and Microsoft!
Nintendo never lied to me.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, in all fairness, both the gaming divisions of Sony and Microsoft are just that, a division. It's not even their core business, unlike Nintendo, which to my knowledge, is a full video game company. So, these two do need to advertise themselves to stay in the gaming scene. Because they could easily be cut off if they do not fulfill the main company's annual sales quota.

And in advertising, anything goes, even demeaning others like that US Burger King commercial I've seen before. If it works, it works, regardless of how some would perceive them.

*sigh* I dunno why I'm saying this.

_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Sony: we're for the players.

The proof is undeniable. They come with a launch line up composed by 3 mediocre FPSs and the worst platformer ever seen from now to 30 years ago. I'll save Resogun 'cause it's impressive in any way

Microsoft: our console will be able to make coffee with a system update

Even though, the launch line up is greatly more appealing than the PS4 one is... Ryse is terrifying, but the setting is great, and it has a good artistic value. FM5 seems good as well. Dead Rising 3... seems kinda fun, forgetting about the ugly frame rate drops for a sec of course. XONE surely is the more appealing between the next consoles... even if still not worth of any money

Nintendo: we like to say nothing AT ALL, in any situation, also marketing is for pussies

Releases lots of games for Wii U from good to masterpieces ---> the general public says thanks by buying Knack

Actual situation in pills
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Advertising was a lot worse back in the day. I mean, even though it was obvious Sony was advertising things as a 'joke' on Microsoft, it wasn't nearly as obvious as "Genesis does what Ninten-don't!".

I do find it hilarious how at E3, Microsoft and Sony had their own massive panels... and Nintendo just had a stall. It's like they've just realized "Well, we're not gonna get any of this market. Let's just focus on the kids and hope they grow up on us like the past generations". It's working for them so far, so why complain? I'll just stick to the PC anyway. If I had to choose, I'd still go Xbone. The game's are more appealing to me, and I still loving just saying "Xbox, play Halo 4" etc. Feels like the future.

Oh, by the way Neon, Nintendo said they'd bring Nintendo tvii to Europe in 2013. Unless they somehow get it out within the month, they'd have lied to everyone about that. Annnd, I'm pretty sure Microsoft haven't lied about anything. They changed their original plans due to customer feedback, but that's different to a lie. Heck, they even gave great detail into their plans. Everything was very specific in both their original Xbone plans and their new ones. I like a company that listens to customer feedback, and right now Microsoft changed the most for their customers. You really can't complain with that.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

it was Less customer feedback and more death threats and angry mobs to be honest but Microsoft were really testing what they could get away with.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Pokémon Y after neglecting it for weeks. Got wrecked by one of the Elite Four and realized I'm not ready yet.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:it was Less customer feedback and more death threats and angry mobs to be honest but Microsoft were really testing what they could get away with.
That's really an opinion. I still am looking forward to when we actually do what Microsoft wanted. I mean, in all likelihood, it was gonna end up being just like Steam within a year or so. Microsoft were moving too fast for their audience. We are going to get to a point where physical copies of games are unnecessary (look at music and pc games). Microsoft just really needed to be more subtle.

What's your team Mega?
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

44R0NM10 wrote:What's your team Mega?
Charizard, Furfrou, Lucario, Lunatone, Manetric, and Chesnaught.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Ya know what game I've been playing recently? Chainsaw Warrior. Sounds weird, yes it does. Is it fun? Oh yes it is.
It's a singleplayer dice based card game from the 80s that is unfair, but addictive. It's possible to beat, or lose, in under half an hour, I'm not kidding. It's the kind of game like FTL, it's a "just one more go" game as I would call it
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Apparently the Eevees that I had been breeding didn't have its hidden ability. They had their second ability. But who cares cause I just traded a Honchkrow for an Eevee with its real hidden ability: Anticipation!
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Of course the Xbone(?) Is cool (I guess).
But I feel both companies are just trying to stick their products down your throat.
Same with the fans.
I don't own a Wii U. But, I know that if I want quality games, Nintendo has got everyone beat.

In the same issue of GI, someone wrote an article explaining what's wrong with the Wii U, and how to fix it.
The Wii U, no matter how much Nintendo deny' s it, is obviously just a Wii with some steroids.
Why not sell it like that?

Also, make the Wii pad optional.

One thing they should add is the ability to use the 3ds as a gamepad.
Why not? It has all the functions the game pad has.
Plus, why not play 3ds games on tour tv.

You know what? Screw it all, and just buy a 3ds.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

hypernovatic wrote:Apparently the Eevees that I had been breeding didn't have its hidden ability. They had their second ability. But who cares cause I just traded a Honchkrow for an Eevee with its real hidden ability: Anticipation!
Lol, and I'm breeding the Eevee I got from Amanita in White 2 with its hidden ability like rabbits, just for the laughs xD

In the end though, I just hope all three companies will be around when I am old enough to retire. It's a lot more fun with some competition, y'know?

And there is one thing that these guys do need to pay attention to: mobile gaming (games played on your smartphones) is gaining in popularity in the past few years and will continue to do so in the forseeable future, and it manage to attract even the casual gamer and non-gamer (like my mum and my aunts, for example), an untapped market.

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I think the app gaming would be cool...
If the Ouya had worked.
Apps are good for phones, but I don't think their for serious gamers.
snakebug

Post by snakebug »

Hey, any of you know any good video games based off of movies?

The first one I played was Over The Hedge The Game on PS2...
In this world there are two types of people my friend.

Those with loaded guns and those who dig.

YOU DIG
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The quintessential example is GoldenEye 007, a historic, classic video game based on a mediocre movie.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

most other attempts got that switched: mediocre games based on classic movies
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

But Goldeneye set the standard for modern FPS games, the same people worked on Timesplitters. :D
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

If you count kingdom hearts, that'd probably be the greatest video game based on movies. I mean? Goldeneye hasn't aged all that well, but kingdom hearts 1 and 2 are still playable classics.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

MrNeonShot wrote:Of course the Xbone(?) Is cool (I guess).
But I feel both companies are just trying to stick their products down your throat.
Same with the fans.
I don't own a Wii U. But, I know that if I want quality games, Nintendo has got everyone beat.

In the same issue of GI, someone wrote an article explaining what's wrong with the Wii U, and how to fix it.
The Wii U, no matter how much Nintendo deny' s it, is obviously just a Wii with some steroids.
Why not sell it like that?

Also, make the Wii pad optional.

One thing they should add is the ability to use the 3ds as a gamepad.
Why not? It has all the functions the game pad has.
Plus, why not play 3ds games on tour tv.

You know what? Screw it all, and just buy a 3ds.
Wii U is actually a great console. On paper, i wouldn't regret to have one. The problem is not the console itself, but Nintendo's "particular" choices

Wii U essentially has four problems right now: bad marketing choices, a really old hardware, Nintendo =/= Internet, and the actual missing 3rd parties support (in future will be doubled)

Bad marketing, Nintendo decides to take a year of advantage and no one even noticed. No advertising, yeah interesting games, but not even in japan, for example, The Wonderful 101 made good sellings. Another wonderful choice was trying to fight Sony and MS consoles... with a Mario Game. Of course, Knack made better sellings than 3D World. Even if it's probably the worst action/platformer ever existed

The old hardware thing connects to the future missing 3rd party support, like the Wii. The problem is: Wii had a target, and sold well to that target. Wii U doesn't have any target at all. The Wii U pad has no appeal to the general public, they try to sell Mario 3D World as a family game, and at the same time they're publishing TW101 and Bayonetta 2, quite a bunch of hardcore games. Half convicted people doesn't buy an expensive console. Mostly if it won't have any multiplatform game support (the cross gen games of the next year, maybe, but it's not enough)

Also, there's the fact Nintendo and the internet never found a place to live together. The Miiverse is cool, but it needs integration to other social networks, even for a simple advertising to the general public using the audience. Sharing things from Wii U user to Wii U user is useless. They should wake up here, too

Because, after all, Wii U has functions i've always asked for, and no one gave me before. The off TV playing is great. I wanted to sell my PS3 copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and buy it for Wii U, just for the off TV thing. Also, TW101 is very creative for the double screen function. Wii U has a lot of positive functions... but it's useless as far as no one knows the console even exists

At this rate, the only thing i can hope is for it to become a new Dreamcast...

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

The games are very good on the WiiU, but your right, they dont advertise enough. Not only that but most people are too set in their ways with the other consoles to buy a WiiU, they judge it based on what they have heard about the previous system instead of treating them differently. Then they go and buy an even more expensive system with little difference, the same games but paying for the online. :| However the WiiU does have its own awesome games that are only on that system, and the way you can use the gamepad and/or Wiimote is brilliant.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I hear ya.
If I just happened to have the money, I would get a Wii U.
But, my goal for this Christmas, is a 3DS, or a 2DS.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The problem with Wii U's marketing is they didn't have the huge "oh wow this is totally revolutionary" appeal Wii had, while they also don't have the marketing machines Sony and Microsoft have.

But yes, it is a very nice system.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Had enough of Pokémon Y. Back to playing The World Ends With You.
Also unless the Wii U gets a Tales game released on it (which I doubt), I'm not buying one.