Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I really, really wanted Monster Rancher. Apparently there was a system where you had more monsters if you had more PS1 games or something. Either way, it looked like a better version of Pokemon and I loved the anime. :mrgreen:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I was skeptical about the anime. It felt like it was competing with Pokemon. However, i did watch most of it. I was in for seeing trainer-like fighting and raising, but seeing the other half of the series watching Tourneys like watching WWF matches.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

okay, I actually didn't watch too much. I just liked the idea that I could get pulled into a video game. All animes were copying pokemon at that time anyway (Digimon as well).

In any case, all the games of all the animes were really good. I loved Digimon World. It was like a tamagotchi but fun.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

On that same note, I could not stand the first Digimon World. It had no immersive features, and it was just a strange and hard to understand game. I like the 4th one though. Fun with friends.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:On that same note, I could not stand the first Digimon World. It had no immersive features, and it was just a strange and hard to understand game. I like the 4th one though. Fun with friends.
Part of the problem with the first one was a really bad translation, and i mean really bad translation. the game however once you understand it was one of the best Digimon World games out there. I actually considered Digimon World 3 a great game for it's soundtrack and training montages.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

44R0NM10 wrote:okay, I actually didn't watch too much. I just liked the idea that I could get pulled into a video game. All animes were copying pokemon at that time anyway (Digimon as well).

In any case, all the games of all the animes were really good. I loved Digimon World. It was like a tamagotchi but fun.
If you could find an extra copy of Digimon World around somewhere, send it to me. XD My copy became too scratched to work anymore. (Yeah, I played it that much.) I loved that darn game!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I've lost count of the hours I played monster rancher 2 for ps1. Too bad monsters died rather quickly under my training. The weirdest thing is that the only monster I used to ever achieve rank A in tournament was with the monster I disliked the most a blue mochi (it was the blue version of that monster Genki has as his best friend in the anime), I think.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

angelusbr wrote:monster rancher 2 for ps1.
I found that game for sale at the an hipster store this Sunday.

I got Pokemon White 2 on Saturday!
... I'm not really impressed though. I've almost earned the fourth badge, and the story line had better start soon (in-depth) or I'm going to go bananas. XP
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I feel the same way about Pokemon White 2. I have to say, the only way that I would get the next game (And I mean the ONLY WAY) is if it was a remake of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Those were the peak of the Pokemon games in my opinion, and I was actually really bummed when I heard it was Black/White 2 and not the remake I was expecting.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I'd really like to see a remake of those too.

What I really, really, really want is Pokemon RPG for a console like the Wii or something. I think that would be beyond awesome.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Honestly, I can't see that happening, IMO Nintendo, to me at least, may be using Pokemon to sell their portable consoles, I dunno, maybe that's just me.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
exranio

Post by exranio »

May?
That one really slaps me on the knee.
Of course that's why. Pokemon is one of those series where you already have so many people attracted to it that releasing it guarantees console sales. This is basically the entire point of releasing a game of a big series on a portable console. The mario fans will buy it for mario. The Pokemon fans will buy it for Pokemon. Ect. It's a very simple buisness strategy that works for nintendo becuase they make the games and the console. (yeah it's gamefreak, but their pretty much nintendo's property)
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Black 2 is fun but I really did expect the story to be more different. Don't get me wrong; I really like the mechanical changes. I just expected the games to be more different than Pokémon Grey would have been, but they aren't really. The changes are cool but there just should've been more of them.

Nintendo does make console Pokémon RPGs, but they're not always super well-done.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

exranio wrote:May?
That one really slaps me on the knee.
Of course that's why. Pokemon is one of those series where you already have so many people attracted to it that releasing it guarantees console sales. This is basically the entire point of releasing a game of a big series on a portable console. The mario fans will buy it for mario. The Pokemon fans will buy it for Pokemon. Ect. It's a very simple buisness strategy that works for nintendo becuase they make the games and the console. (yeah it's gamefreak, but their pretty much nintendo's property)
Well, good to see someone else agrees with me, I've had people say stuff like "No, that's not it." And honestly, I don't feel like dealing with it.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/

Post by 0404 »

I made my own tf2 servers. one to play with my friends and one to play tf2 with Housepets formitties. anyone?
The Grey Wolverine

Yes indeed I am interested!
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

That would be really cool! I haven't played it in a while and I really need a good reason to play on my obscenely-slow-to-play-games laptop. Seriously, I'm considering getting a desktop just to play tf2 with a frame rate higher than 2 fps.

Also, I don't wholly doubt Nintendo use things like Pokemon to sell their consoles, I mean the main reason I bought mine was so I could keep playing the Professor Layton series (although I have to say, I love it now that I have it), but I don't think that's the sole reason they're still releasing new Pokemon games, so I don't think it's entirely unlikely they'd release a title on the Wii. They used to release HEAPS of different games on all their consoles, which I suppose you could still argue was a marketing strategy...Although, all the current titles are available on the previous console, not the current one...so...backwards marketing? :shrug:
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

That sounds neat. I'll give it a try =)

Post by 0404 »

Glad y'all are interested in. I just hope the construction is over by this weekend.

Jeff Get Hamachi so that we can play AOE this weekend! or you prob'ly wouldn't know what Hamachi is.. it's a program that allows multiple computers to be in same LAN party. Ummm how do I say this in unnerdy way? I'll come back with more info.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis this looks cool as heck and really pretty. o:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

That looks awesome! It's amazing how every time a new "real world" RPG comes out it makes all previous ones look completely unrealistic. This one, I think, will pretty much be the pinnacle for some time (that is if it gets funded, it's not looking great though...).

I'm on DeviantArt now!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Tiggy wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis this looks cool as heck and really pretty. o:
That might be the first kickstarters I actually want to kickstart
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I kickstarted 55 dollars to the Homestuck game already. That's enough video game philanthropy for one lifetime. :P

Apparently the Wii U is almost out. I intend to buy it at some point but I can't say I'm really caught up in the launch hype. *shrugs*
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
McFly

Post by McFly »

I intend to buy it after never. :P

Not that I don't like it or anything (It looks kinda cool, actually). It's just that there's just a very small chance of me actually getting it due to lack of interest. I hardly even play with my regular Wii nowadays.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I got and completed Okami! Arguably one of the best games I have ever played on the Wii (and the list of really good Wii games is rather short anyhow but still). A nice long storyline, plenty to do, break away from traditional character roles (usually in these games you play someone who is the "Chosen Hero" of the Gods, but this time you actually play a God, and not just any God but the top God. And a female as well, few games have a female as the main character), and you get to wield supreme power (which makes defeating enemies and bosses all the more easier).

Spoiler...
The best moment, in my opinion, was when Okami was fighting Yami and its terrible powers rendered Okami powerless. It was then at that moment that the faith and devotion of the people, inspired by Issun and the benevolent acts which Okami performed, revived the powers of the Gods and brought Okami back to supremacy. It was rather symbolic of the fact that, even though she was a God, her power was only made possible by those she inspired. The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact you could not see the Celestial Plain, but that's not all that bad.

I did hear there was a sequal for it on the DS. I wonder how good that game is.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I watched a playthrough of the squeal on YouTube. It looked alright, not as good as Okami, but pretty good for handheld standards.

Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... ature=plcp
He just finished it a week ago and does a really good job of showing everything in the game that can be done.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i wish namco remake or made a new klonoa game i miss it very much
also nintendo should release a starfox game for xbox
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

*Ahem* Sorry, I've just never found anyone else who has played Klonoa.

I recently got the second one (finally) and it's awesome! I'm trying to find a PAL version of the GBA game.

Also, the Wii remake is good for the extra completion bonuses however they speak English and the cinematics are pre-rendered which makes it look less fluid. :( Still cried at the end though...

I'm on DeviantArt now!

Post by 0404 »

The TF2 Server is almost there!
Just few things to adjust and Rules have to be made, then the Server will be up!

If anyone is interested, pleas PM me so that I can send you a Password and the IP for the Beta Server. After the Beta, it may or will be open for everyone in the forum.
It will be a good way to enjoy a video game with fourmittes. especially when you are playing MvM.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

texascat018 wrote:The TF2 Server is almost there!
Just few things to adjust and Rules have to be made, then the Server will be up!

If anyone is interested, pleas PM me so that I can send you a Password and the IP for the Beta Server. After the Beta, it may or will be open for everyone in the forum.
It will be a good way to enjoy a video game with fourmittes. especially when you are playing MvM.

Nice to see another tf2 server :mrgreen: . Been busy handling the ones that I'm an admin in as well as other newly (around a month) released games

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Pokemon will likely never come to the home console like it does portables. Nintendo's addressed this a number of times and it all boils down to it was born on portables and they feel it works best on them.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Plus there's not really any benefit to having it on console except for "COOL 3D POKEMONZ". The games are honestly basically all identical updates of the same game with no major changes worth noting. Most changes being cosmetic, (new mons and animations and sprites), something that's based in data and statistics (move states, mon stats, balancing stuff), or some really simple new thing to do that isn't real much of a deal anyway (pokemon contests), and whatever that freaking theater thing is. It's basically the same game 2.0 every-time. Sure console games do this two but most of those are big (in the technical sense) enough to warrant being on console. Pokemon is a small game doesn't need to be put on a console for what it does. That's why the console is left almost exclusively for spinoffs with the closest thing to a normal Pokemon console game being Colosseum.

All that aside it truly does work best small and portable. I'm not sure how you play it. But if you do all that extra training. Grinding, EV training, type breeding, and all that other stuff to get the strongest possible competitive mons and stuff,d o you really want to HAVE to be at you're tv for it? It's just more convenient

Anyway with something that I actually care a lot more about.
The Skull Girls patch came out today.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
The Grey Wolverine

Guys, I got Persona 4 Golden! Its FANTASTIC!
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

I've been playing Wolfenstein on the PS3 for the last couple of days. A couple of things strike me as odd. The main character wears jeans and a leather jacket which isn't very spy or ww2 like and apart from the fast moving guys who dissappear it is way too easy to kill nazi's
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

In all honesty, I've been waiting for a truly "new" Pokemon game for quite a few years. I'm pretty well aware that it'll likely never happen again (Colosseum is the only truly original Pokemon adventure game we've seen since the original games were released), but I'm always hoping that we'll eventually get something that completely breaks the mold of the handheld games. Something where the ultimate goal is something other than "catch 'em all" or "defeat the elite four".

My first idea? Insert choices. Why can't I tell that guy at the end of Nugget Bridge that I'd love to join Team Rocket? Playing a Pokemon game from the villain's perspective for once? Yes, please.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really see an issue with defeating the Elite Four as the way to "win." I just want there to be lots of choices what you do and accomplish in the meantime.
musclecar326

Post by musclecar326 »

I just noticed that no one has said anything about Black Ops 2 yet. Well i'm going to change that. Zombies on BO2 is amazing with the new mode tranzit where a bus takes you to and from 5 different locations. New guns in zombies are also awesome, like for example the HAMR light machine gun. The Campaign is great in BO2 with places in the missions where you can pick between two choices and each one has a different outcome. What do you Gamers out there think about it?
Yes, I am a furry.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I've never really been interested in the CoD franchise beyond the occasional night of playing zombies/split-screen with friends. As such, I haven't gotten Black Ops 2, nor am I likely to get it any time soon. Certainly not while it's still at 60 bucks.
Sleet wrote:I don't really see an issue with defeating the Elite Four as the way to "win." I just want there to be lots of choices what you do and accomplish in the meantime.
No, there's certainly no "issue" with it. I would just personally like to see a complete turn-around where that becomes less of a focal point of the game. I'd be fine if they kept it in as an option, but I'd much prefer if the badge-collecting process and fighting the Elite Four were kept entirely separate from the plot itself.

Though I think it was incredibly neat how they got those characters involved in the plot of Black/White, I'd like to see the necessity of collecting badges to progress removed entirely (perhaps implementing a scaling system so that you can fight them in any order you like, and they'll always be at a level to challenge your team). That, and they definitely need to improve the grinding process. Audino was a step in the right direction, but it still needs some work.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I'm not into CoD either except zombies so I won't be getting it but a friend of mine has it and we're all on holidays now so if the zombies are as awesome as Musclecar326 makes it sound, I'll be waiting in anticipation for him to organise a game night at his place.

On the subject of Pokemon, I think if the Elite Four are in the game, they'll always be the climax of the story, although I admit I haven't played a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire so I'm not sure how good the character development is in the later games. That being said, I certainly think an entirely new type of Pokemon game where the badge-collecting is either minimal or non-existent is possible, however it will depend on how Game Freak feel about coming up with a new game mechanic and how scared they are that people won't like the new design just because it's not canon.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:I've never really been interested in the CoD franchise beyond the occasional night of playing zombies/split-screen with friends. As such, I haven't gotten Black Ops 2, nor am I likely to get it any time soon. Certainly not while it's still at 60 bucks.
Sleet wrote:I don't really see an issue with defeating the Elite Four as the way to "win." I just want there to be lots of choices what you do and accomplish in the meantime.
No, there's certainly no "issue" with it. I would just personally like to see a complete turn-around where that becomes less of a focal point of the game. I'd be fine if they kept it in as an option, but I'd much prefer if the badge-collecting process and fighting the Elite Four were kept entirely separate from the plot itself.

Though I think it was incredibly neat how they got those characters involved in the plot of Black/White, I'd like to see the necessity of collecting badges to progress removed entirely (perhaps implementing a scaling system so that you can fight them in any order you like, and they'll always be at a level to challenge your team). That, and they definitely need to improve the grinding process. Audino was a step in the right direction, but it still needs some work.
What I really want to see is battles being less waiting and tedium. That would mean shortening the intro animation of battles, and also letting you access menus while moves are animating. This prevents there from being unnecessary waiting time.