Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Saturn381

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Saturn381 »

So here's a question. Are there any obscure gaming console you guys have? For example, I have a Sega Saturn, a 3DO, and an Atari Jaguar.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have a Sega Nomad!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sega Pico. it hasn't worked for years but I still have it somewhere.
and i don't know how obscure it is but I've only seen it mentioned a few times online, the Sega Gamegear.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm loving these trailers more as Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite keeps coming. But this one really takes the cake with Jedah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ls5nmzs-HY
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Deske

Post by Deske »

I'm just loving it when everything's going great and then suddenly I get a really nice tactical nuke to the feels a la MGSV style.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If anyone is a fan of old Sonic games and hasn't tried Sonic Mania, they're making a big mistake.

It's the perfect mix of nostalgia and new ideas.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I definitely would. Maybe next paycheck. I've heard nothing but good reviews on it.

Also want to pick up Sonic Forces when that comes out.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Waiting to see if they remove the DRM it's using. Denuvo is a lag factory on my machines.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

It looks pretty good in the let's plays I've seen. I might pick it up later. I never really got into the sonic games, (I'm from a Nintendo household :P ) but I did get Sonic Generations on Steam recently.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm cautiously optimistic about Sonic Forces. It could end up so bad potentially.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I have not yet seen the option of choosing a fox as a character. This left me disappointed. :P
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think I recall others voicing disappointment over that, as echidna is apparently also not selectable, even though hedgehog is.

Music is pretty awesome in my opinion, though.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:I think I recall others voicing disappointment over that, as echidna is apparently also not selectable, even though hedgehog is.

Music is pretty awesome in my opinion, though.
Dunno about fox, But the no echidna rule is probably more lasting damage from the Penders debacle unfortunately.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...is that when the tribe was almost wiped out by Chaos? I remember this event from SA1, but I haven't been keeping up with any lore after Shadow the Hedgehog.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

No, it's when the lead writer and artist from the Archie comics left then Sued Archie, Sega, and EA for using echidna characters, after he went behind Archie's back and claimed the copyrights on over a hundred characters. Given Sega/Sonic Team are afraid to introduce new characters of certain species now, and Archie gutted the comics cast two years later when everything was settled, guess who won.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

:?
Knowing no other context, that seems really unfair.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

even in context it still boils down to one person being a greedy _____ ruining it for everybody else.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Watch mods be made for the PC versions for that.

I should pick up a copy of Mania soon. Be nice for a throwback to the classic era like this. I still fondly recall when my brother and I would play S2 and S3 during the Genesis era. Good times.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

GUYSGUYSGUYSGUYSGUYS!!!!!!
Okami is getting an HD remake for PS4, Xbox, and PC.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Still got my Wii Version, but glad to see it being re-released <3

Also, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite is coming soon. Check these funk pop toys :D

https://imgur.com/a/SiKhe
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Download three games for my PS4 a few days ago which were Sonic Mania, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, and Action Henk. I haven't beaten them yet, but so far I'm really liking them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

been playing Hiveswap after years of waiting. If you like homestuck's humor, and point and click adventures, it's pretty great. you don't even really have to know Homestuck as far as I've gotten, so if you just couldn't get past the walls of text in Homestuck it shouldn't matter.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Pre-Ordered Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite. Feels like my Christmas already.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I have heard of people who say they finished Skyrim,but Skyrim has so much to do in it. Like discover hidden places and easter eggs.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:been playing Hiveswap after years of waiting. If you like homestuck's humor, and point and click adventures, it's pretty great. you don't even really have to know Homestuck as far as I've gotten, so if you just couldn't get past the walls of text in Homestuck it shouldn't matter.
If anything it could maybe be a trial into Homestuck's style. If you enjoy the writing you should try Homestuck.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete version for the ps4 just got released apparently, and... I WANNNT ITTTTT! But I don't have enough money for it :cry: Without any spoilers, is it any good? It certainly looks good!
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Got Sonic Forces for Christmas, been playing a bit of that. So far, yeah, kind of fun, neat to unlock some new costumes, though a color option would be nice. From what I can tell, each color is it's own unlockable. Not much of an issue, as I predominantly use the Persona 5 DLC pieces. And yes, I did end up getting hit with a few cheap deaths.

I should post a screen cap of my character when I finish the game, which from what I hear, shouldn't be too long.

He's going to look awful. :lol:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So I've been playing Mario Odyssey for the Nintendo Switch (which I got for Christmas) and Skullgirls for the PS4, and so far I think they're great.
Liam

Post by Liam »

VoidGaming404 wrote:Without any spoilers, is it any good?
One of the best releases of the year. It certainly feels fresh for an open-world game.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'm looking to expand my collection again, but steam has been giving me a lot of bad suggestions, so can any of you think of good games, preferably megaman clones, Myst style adventure games, metroidvanias and/or colectathon themed platformers (being focused on collecting things is more important that being a good platformer with that one)?
Last edited by Buster on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’ve heard 20XX is a good Megaman clone, but other than that I have no clue.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I already have 20xx. much like a certain now-infamous entry in the genre (which I unfortunately also own...), it has the right aesthetic and most of the mechanics right, but a few bad choices have it all crashing down in flames. Where Might No.9 had lazy level design and an absurd reliance on dash mechanics, 20xx has over-reliance on randomization and a lack of permanency of upgrades and weapons, making it less a megaman clone and more a rogue-lite wearing a megaman-themed skin.

thanks for trying at least.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Can't really think of much, Buster. Reviews of Super Lucky's Tale seem to go with either "absolutely horrid" to "pretty good and cute" game.

...oh dang, I'm severely out of touch with some game genres. :?

Side note, finished the main story of Sonic Forces. I found it pretty fun, but it's not without it's flaws. One problem with Classic Sonic I found irritating even in Generations was the unlike the Genesis games, enemies rarely "popped out" of the scenery. I ended up running into them more often than I like to admit. A wall-jumping mechanic was introduced in one of the last levels that I couldn't figure out how to get it to work consistently.

Music was awesome, though. Said level has one of my favorite tracks. Also, I liked how when Classic went Super (it's currently free DLC, but why?) a Genesis version of Fist Bump would play.

As for my Avatar,
20171229_163736.jpg
20171229_163736.jpg (75.47 KiB) Viewed 15220 times
Yeah, I switched out his Persona 5 get-up with what you see here.

Never said I was good with design or fashion. :P
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Lucky is a collectathon? Odd... I hadn't seen any indication of a focus on collecting a bajilion random trinkets. I thought it was just a regular platformer. Maybe it's worth a look. I wonder if there's a PC version...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's a pretty standard platformer. I'd say it's a similar feel to Super Mario 3D World. But cuter and not as good.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Yeah, i already found out. Hooray for most digital distribution having refund buttons these days. :x
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

QUESTION!

who here has LOZ:BOTW? I'm trying to write a fic and that always goes faster when i have someone to bounce ideas off of.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I have! I’ve played through the main game multiple times, and while I haven’t beaten it in Hard Mode yet, I have beaten the grind that is Ballad of the Champions (which, IMHO, doesn’t really get good until the final dungeon/Boss, but it’s amazing when it does). I’m up for overlooking, though I might not always respond immediately.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

how familiar are you with the lore and backstory, because the majority of the fic takes place BEFORE ganon's return and surprise attack on hyrule.

(does that count as a spoiler considering it happens in half the games of the series? and alarmingly frequently in more-or-less the same way? the signs of his return being clear was a massive understatement, for all his new powers minions and forms over the eons he's stupidly predictable. I guess that's why the incarnations that have gotten near the triforce embody 'power' and not 'wisdom'. :roll: )

eenyhoo, the fic revolves around the the what if question "what if the faint resemblance between Link and Zelda wasn't just a design holdover from earlier games?" and sets up early on that this AU of link, is zelda's illegitimate older brother, whom the king hasn't acknowledged as even existing.

(Also, a Link/Mipha secondary plotline will be present by about the half way point.)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sounds good so far. Are you going to address what timeline it's in, or are you going to leave that a mystery like the game did?