Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JonnyNova

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by JonnyNova »

Has anyone else been watching Summer Games Done Quick? As a huge speedrunning nerd, it's taken over most of my free time.
*purrs loudly*

Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Doom 4 Is looking pretty interesting. Anyone else see how that's going? :P
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Sleet wrote:Naruto and Sasuke are not video game characters. I'd love to see Tails, though. Not crossing my fingers, sadly.

It looks like Snake'll be coming back, which is cool!
Naruto Shippuden has an entire gaming franchise. :?
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

But they were not born from games. that's like saying Stitch can join since he had a lot of games too =P

Now Sora from Kingdom Hearts on the otherhand...
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

GameCobra wrote:But they were not born from games. that's like saying Stitch can join since he had a lot of games too =P

But you can get Stitch in Disney Infinity now (which is a game, he also came in a box with the main protagonist from Brave, odd combination. They didn't add lilo).
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

GameCobra wrote:But they were not born from games. that's like saying Stitch can join since he had a lot of games too =P

But (aside from infinity) did they sell? The Shippuden Ultimate series sells millions of copies each game in the united states alone.
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Selling power doesn't mean it's going to be joining Nintendo anytime soon, it just means it's a popular series. It depends on where the series was born from. Same goes for Disney. X3

A perfect example is J-stars Victory, which is a videogame containing all the popular manga players in their own version of a smash game. It got the rights to Naruto. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Stars_Victory_VS
DigitalBrave3

Post by DigitalBrave3 »

J-Stars Victory VS.+ and the Final Fantasy 7 remake are the main reasons I want to buy a PS4
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

DigitalBrave3 wrote:J-Stars Victory VS.+ and the Final Fantasy 7 remake are the main reasons I want to buy a PS4
Bloodborne makeds me want a Vita. XBOX ONE is best, tho. :P
Hello, low order beings!

Jacey

Post by Jacey »

GreatKitsune wrote:
DigitalBrave3 wrote:J-Stars Victory VS.+ and the Final Fantasy 7 remake are the main reasons I want to buy a PS4
Bloodborne makeds me want a Vita. XBOX ONE is best, tho. :P
That game is on vita?
RP Characters:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

GreatKitsune wrote:XBOX ONE is best, tho. :P
In what way? In terms of hardware performance it's third out of the four options (PC, PS4, XB, WiiU, in that order) In terms of average game prices it's tied with PS4 for least affordable out of the four. In terms of selection of available games, I don't actually know if it's second or third i just know WiiU is in last. In terms of exclusive content it's just one big pile of "meh whatever".

The only category that matters, where it's actually on top, is having the cheapest hardware. and that one is hardly relevant when it's barely worth the upgrade from it's predecessor.

Stop wasting money on consoles, get a PC.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
DigitalBrave3

Post by DigitalBrave3 »

You are so right.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Buster wrote:Stop wasting money on consoles, get a PC.
hey, some people prefer to be able to play games while doing things on their computer without having to change windows or get a second PC.
PC and Console are too different to say one is better than the other as a whole. Of course PCs are better as far as hardware and game variety goes. you don't need a developer's kit to make a PC game and PCs are made to handle a lot more than the average game if the right parts are used.

personally I only play DS games nowadays
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

PC and Console are too different to say one is better than the other as a whole.
Oh really? There is nothing a console can do that a pc can't. If there were, emulators wouldn't be a thing.

We had touch screens first, we had track pads first, we had controllers first, we had keyboards first, we can do motion capture via webcams, we can support multiple screens and asymetric control, we still have local multi & hot-seat multi player games, we have entire genres consoles have abandoned, we had LAN and On-Line play first, laptops can have NFC and ad-hoc wifi connection capability.

Name one feature that any console has that has never been on pc.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:
PC and Console are too different to say one is better than the other as a whole.
Oh really? There is nothing a console can do that a pc can't. If there were, emulators wouldn't be a thing.

We had touch screens first, we had track pads first, we had controllers first, we had keyboards first, we can do motion capture via webcams, we can support multiple screens and asymetric control, we still have local multi & hot-seat multi player games, we have entire genres consoles have abandoned, we had LAN and On-Line play first, laptops can have NFC and ad-hoc wifi connection capability.

Name one feature that any console has that has never been on pc.
Wow wow gal, why so defensive? It's just a matter of consoles and PCs.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Buster wrote:Name one feature that any console has that has never been on pc.
Well, now a days more pc games require internet connection to install or play, consoles still let you play the game if you don't have internet.
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:Name one feature that any console has that has never been on pc.
I can't, I never said there were any. All I said is that they're vastly different. playing a console is a completely different experience.
only hardcore PC gamers would hook their PC up to a big screen TV to play it while sitting or laying down on the couch relaxing. so for most gamers, the console experience feels more laid back. I like to leave consoles hooked up to the TV so it can be turned on and played immediately, but wouldn't do the same with my PC. I'd have to hook it up every time I wanted to play a game with buddies, on my couch, and/or on my big screen.

so neither one is better as a whole other than opinion. yes, in many ways PC is better. some people don;t care about better if they like what they've got with okay.

plus, it's not a big deal that other people like something different than you. it is a big deal if you imply they're "wasting money" if they do. please be respectful of other members and their opinions.

(nice Hexadecimal avatar by the way)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote: Name one feature that any console has that has never been on pc.
Play Arkham Knight. 8-)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

As a person who plays both kinds of system competitively, why not have both? PC's are cool and all but some games are either exclusive or classics, though there are some just made with the specs in mind of a powerful computer. Doesn't mean either one are superior, it just shows different options and preferences on how the individual plays. :P
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If there was one feature that PCs don't have that other consoles do have, it's exclusives. That's bad business, yes, but nobody's perfect.

Like PCs surely are the way to go these days, but it's a matter of preference. just because PCs are the end-game design, doesn't mean they are the best. Some people use consoles because they are easier, have alot of multiplayer games for in-house fun and certain titles.

I'm looking at you, Kingdom Hearts. :3
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

...are we really having this PC/console debate?

Wow guys, this isn't the Youtube comments section :p
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Something rather silly happened while I was playing Portal 2 Co-op with a friend for the first time.

We couldn't get past the tutorial section, so we sat there contemplating our intellect,
making life descions
changing majors
y'know, logical reactions to not being able to beat a puzzle game.

Turns out it was just a really bad glitch.

We were relieved.
Just an Arc
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

ArcWolf wrote:Something rather silly happened while I was playing Portal 2 Co-op with a friend for the first time.

We couldn't get past the tutorial section, so we sat there contemplating our intellect,
making life descions
changing majors
y'know, logical reactions to not being able to beat a puzzle game.

Turns out it was just a really bad glitch.

We were relieved.
Wow, that is great.
Then again I have had the same happen when I was solving one of the later portal 2 puzzles. An hour Later andI got it.
RP Characters:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Seems my family wants to play more games like Diablo and Path of Exiles. Wanna find a slasher/dungeon crawler game though that everyone can play. any recommendations?
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Portal 2 was fun, yeah.
But I'm sure my experience would've been significantly better
if I actually tried completing the later levels instead of mindlessly following walkthrough after walkthrough :roll:
GameCobra wrote:Seems my family wants to play more games like Diablo and Path of Exiles. Wanna find a slasher/dungeon crawler game though that everyone can play. any recommendations?
Maybe try Torchlight 2? From my personal experiences, I'd say it's a more fleshed out Diablo 3 with better combat. The art style might not appeal to everybody though.
Additionally, you get randomized dungeons and it's also very moddable.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

deepskycyan wrote:if I actually tried completing the later levels instead of mindlessly following walkthrough after walkthrough
Walkthroughs?! but... isn't the sense of accomplishment from getting through a real mind-bender the best part of puzzle games though? they don't have much else going for them besides puzzles and nerd jokes to start with, why would you want to knowingly take half of what they do have away?
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

To be honest, I only played Portal because it was, well, Portal.

Sure, I can't say I didn't enjoy the world, the characters and the writing with its many implications...Portal does that really well actually.
It's just that it's simply not my type of game; I'm not a fan of puzzle and I can see myself slogging through it and losing interest if it wasn't for walkthroughs to help me progress.
That said, it's different enough from my regular genres which makes it a welcome break from my regular, more grindy games.

So basically, I played it for everything but the gameplay. And I'm okay with that.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Buster wrote: Oh really? There is nothing a console can do that a pc can't.
*turns toward laptop*
"HP on!"..."Y U NO WORK?!?!?!"

Anyways, free MGSV for XBOX Gold members! :D

Goodbye, Kojima. :cry:
Hello, low order beings!

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

This isn't the place for a console-vs-pc debate.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

So... I just learned that Markiplier, a rather famous Youtube gamer, had played this indie game called To The Moon in the past. I'm kinda glad he did, and exposed this wonderful story of a game to a wider audience. Not many people knew about this game till then, even when PewdiePie did a partial playthrough of this himself.

Though, it's kinda sad knowing that most of those who played this game were either really sad or just outright cried by the time this game hits its climax. Heck, I couldn't even listen to the title theme without crying myself silly TwT

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I actually learned of To The Moon when Cryaotic played it.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Yeah, I've watched Cry play this game too. Though his reactions were rawer than Mark's. That's the first time I've heard a Youtube gamer choke on his own emotions, which is rather novel to me.

Anyway, I only found his video after finishing my own playthrough of it like 4 years ago. Wanting to know whether I'm not alone in feeling sad after playing it. Glad that was not the case xP

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Sooo I've been playing Final Fantasy XII recently, and I gotta say it's not as bad as I thought it was. The plot's intriguing, characters are all interesting despite some of them not having that much to do with the overall plot (looking at you Vaan). My only problem is the battle system. Like, I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

On an unrelated note, I may or may not be addicted to playing Cooking Mama 3: Chop and Shop on my sister's DS. :?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

FF12 was actually the first main series Final Fantasy game that I've played, and I thought it was great. The licence system I think was quite odd, but the battle system is quite okay. I didn't get far though, I was studying in a boarding school during my high school years so I was rarely at home. I love Ivalice though, having played all three Tactics games. And the moogles are better here too. Montblanc <3

JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

I really need to try out FF XII again. I played through the first 6 hours or so and I remember liking it, but I don't really remember much about the actual game. Also, am I the only one who's kind of worried about Final Fantasy XV? Like, it looks amazing, but I don't know if I trust Square Enix to not mess it up.
*purrs loudly*

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The battle system singlehandedly destroyed FFXII for me. The characters were a little bland but the setting was really interesting and I loved the open-world feel of it. But the battles were so incredibly boring. I just couldn't do it. :(

Also: This Splatoon comic is super adorable. <3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Sleet wrote:The battle system singlehandedly destroyed FFXII for me. The characters were a little bland but the setting was really interesting and I loved the open-world feel of it. But the battles were so incredibly boring. I just couldn't do it. :(

Also: This Splatoon comic is super adorable. <3
Aww, that is cute!

I'm a big Telltale Games fan, and I have been playing both Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands. I kind of feel like it was a mistake starting Tales from the Borderlands though. Not because it was bad though. Quite the opposite, it's so good, it's making Game of Thrones feel bad. Which is a shame, because Game of Thrones is a good game, but I do feel its the weakest Telltale game I've played.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

The characters were actually fine for me. Even though Vaan ain't exactly acting like the main protagonist of the story, despite being the first guy playable AND the only character you can control when exploring towns and non-dungeon places, he's still amusing, in his own way.

The battle system wasn't all that good enough for me already, but what really irked me the most is how not all of the monsters in the area are the same level as you. Like, the other day when I was playing, I was just minding my own business, happily fighting and looting monsters. When suddenly, this jerk of a monster, who just so happened to be five levels above all of my characters, came out of nowhere and absolutely destroyed everyone. It's such a downer cause this could happen at anytime, and given the nature of the battle system, you're almost always gonna get hurt no matter how fast you flee. What's even worse is said monster might chase you down if you try to run away.

And I don't know why or how this happens, maybe I just don't pay attention much, but sometimes, the monsters in the area I'm in would sometimes suddenly be waaay stronger than they should be. This mostly happens whenever I do hunts and go back to areas that I haven't been to in a while. Like I'd go back to the Underground Waterway, and suddenly the frogs and lizards there are over level 30, even though most of us are barely past 25.

Wooh, that rant was longer than expected. :?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So has anyone seen videos (or at least reaction videos) of Sonic Dreams Collection yet?
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Saturn381 wrote:So has anyone seen videos (or at least reaction videos) of Sonic Dreams Collection yet?
Thank you, Steam Train, for that nightmare.
Panda Panda Panda