Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Sleet »

So! Fire Emblem Heroes. Who's played it?

Any Fire Emblem fans wanna give me their evaluation? I love the main series but free to play scares me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So far it's been pretty fun. My only complaint would be how you're limited to 4 units a battle(so far anyway). I haven't had to pay for anything yet.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I been thinking of Fire Emblem someday, but not yet. roamnce of the Three Kingdoms fills that war niche i always liked.

FINALLY beat The Last of us the other day along with Resident Evil 7. Both were awesome games. I also got this funny feeling that 2017 is going to be a horror game year thanks to the reviews of Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight.

Still waiting on Kingdom Hearts 3, however. Feel like this is the last Kingdom Hearts i can get myself hyped up for these days.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I played Fire Emblem once before, but I can't really remember which one.

I recently got Titanfall 2. Its a pretty cool game, but not as deep, subtle, or epic as Halo.

So... Am I alone in playing Elder Scrolls Online?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

SuperStar wrote:So far it's been pretty fun. My only complaint would be how you're limited to 4 units a battle(so far anyway). I haven't had to pay for anything yet.
Doesn't that kinda really limit the ability to do anything tactical?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Not necessarily. The fact that you ONLY get 4 units at most makes it even more tactical, in a weird way. It makes each unit's action in each turn more important. Attacking isn't the only thing units can/should do. They also have skills and some other abilities. It gets pretty difficult, and can get very grind-y, but I feel like that's kinda to be expected in mobile app games like FE:Heroes. I'm liking it so far.

Also, anyone else here play Minecraft for the PS3?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Isn't that kinda different from how Fire Emblem works normally?

So I'm annoyed that the deadline to switch Yooka-Laylee versions has been reached yet we don't know the release date for the Switch version.
ShadowLightning

Not necessarily. In terms of efficiency, it's actually recommended by FE veterans to just use a handful of units rather than training and bringing the maximum the chapters allow you to bring. I mean, I guess some people don't find it fun, but I think it's pretty normal for a mobile game. It's not that different since most of the core mechanics are there (weapon triangle, turn-based system, how the stats function, etc.).
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
RokukeShiba

Post by RokukeShiba »

Anyone played night in the woods?

Fun game with a great story
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I think this is important enough to post here. The Twitch streamer TheMexicanRunner is about to finish beating every single officially licensed released NES game, All 714 of them, on Sunday the 26th. He is ending his almost 3-year project with Super Mario Bros. 3 100%. The final run begins at 12 PM EST, 9 AM PST, 6 PM UTC +1. This will make him the first known person to have ever documented beating every single game. I don't know about anyone else but I think that is absolutely amazing.

Edit: HE DID IT! 714 games in 3435:12:24!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So who else is getting a Switch tomorrow night? I'm so excited! Breath of the Wild is getting perfect reviews and that's amazing.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I'm a poor highschooler, so I'm not, I hope to eventually though. Probably getting WiiU!BotW soon though.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the new Zelda game definitely looks good, but the console is pricier than I thought it would be, especially the accessories, and one game alone doesn't justify the cost of a system, so I'm still waiting to see if there are any other games i'd like coming.

Which is kinda sad, cause I'm actually impressed by the balancing act between portability, power, and features they've managed to pull off. Not something I say about a console often.

But a console without games is just a paperweight, and I'm kinda picky. Most of the games I like these days are smaller indite titles on PC, or DS. Way too many Devs are so focused on "Realism!" and "Epic Story!" that someone who just likes their games to have silly excuse plots and stylized looks for the sake of all the effort going into the gameplay have very little to pick from outside those. (and my gripes about the hardware and marketing of consoles in general don't help but I don't want to get the mods on my case again, so thats all I'm saying about that.)
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Most of the games I like these days are smaller indite titles on PC, or DS. Way too many Devs are so focused on "Realism!" and "Epic Story!" that someone who just likes their games to have silly excuse plots and stylized looks for the sake of all the effort going into the gameplay have very little to pick from outside those.
Switch is actually having some nice focus on indie support, they just had an Indie presentation a few days ago.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There's no shame in waiting for more games to come out before picking up a console. I've been very impressed by Zelda so far. It just feels amazing and truly gives you the feeling of exploring. And it's gorgeous!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

ProJared released a review of the Switch already. It was a good watch. Went over what it did well, what it missed out on, and what's not that great. He said that he's overall VERY pleased with it, but recommended to wait until there's a better library of games and support for the system.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Liam

Post by Liam »

RokukeShiba wrote:Anyone played night in the woods?

It's so good!

I'm currently pursuing the Gregg route because I've seen the beginning of the Bea route in the LP that made me buy the game. (At least that's how I figure this game works, different routes give you different experiences.)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Liam wrote:
RokukeShiba wrote:Anyone played night in the woods?

It's so good!

I'm currently pursuing the Gregg route because I've seen the beginning of the Bea route in the LP that made me buy the game. (At least that's how I figure this game works, different routes give you different experiences.)
I'm just playing through however I feel. I love it. Gregg rulz OK. also Mae's pretty great too.
I'm not sure how much the choices effect any ending, It just definitely changes the journey though so I'm gonna play through again at some point after I finish it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

Okay, finished my first playthrough. Whoa. This has been the most touching game experience since Undertale. This game resonated with me on a deep, personal level. Highly recommended.

The endgame really went places.

It's sad what happened to Casey. But at least I opted to give closure to his parents. And Mae has beat the otherworldly influence messing up her life, which means she can turn her life around and move with Gregg and Angus to Bright Harbor. Yay!

On to the Bea route.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The Disney Afternoon Collection! this sure wasn't something I expected to ever see done! Will be snatching this up right away on April 18th that's for sure.
ShadowLightning

Favorite winter-themed location/s in video games?

A lot of my favorite places in video games are often at really cold climates. They have really cool (pun intended) designs and environments. Most of them also have nice ost music that match the place's theme. I often imagine myself just relaxing somewhere in one of their houses, cuddled up in a blanket while drinking some hot chocolate. And I especially prefer cold to hot so... yeah.

One of my favorite snowy locations is Friezkiel from Tales of Phantasia. Despite having a rather chilling name in the translation patch I played (Freezekill), it was a really cozy looking town with a pretty great dungeon, though I have PTSD flashbacks of the boss. Not to mention the relaxing theme. Though honestly, I don't think there's a theme for a snowy place that I don't hate. Another lovely piece from another snowy place in the game is from the town of Ary. It's one of the last towns the gang visits, and boy is it great. In addition to the great theme, it also has some of the most emotional scenes in the game.

Now let's go to another game, Undertale. I love Snowdin, and it's not just cause of the pun in the name. As one of the first locations the protagonist visits, it's filled with friendly-looking folks.There are a lot of things to do, and I just love the town's theme.What a nice town to start the game with.

Well, those are my favorite snowy places in video games. What are yours?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love Flanoir from Tales of Symphonia. It just is so pretty and cozy!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I like the Skellige Isles in Witcher 3. Maybe not so cozy and warm outside, the viking/Scottish feel and the warmth of the taverns kinda seals the deal for me. Plus each of the islands has its own theme and they're all pretty relaxed.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I could say skyrim, but I think that may be cheating a bit. Since i have been playing horizon; zero dawn of late, i have to say that i do enjoy the mountain areas around there. Its a really beautiful game.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Phenandra Drifts. Mostly because of the music.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Oh man I just finished Night in the Woods maybe 10 minutes ago. Super great game. Entire game had a great feel with it, didn't fail to bring a smile to my face or surprise me.
Like when after you trap those guys in the mine and some of the people are missing. The Smelters fan that talks to the bird at the pub was the one I noticed.
Felt really great. Gonna have to go through it and switch up some of the choices I made. I want to know how they impact the playthrough. Definitely gonna have to play the supplemental games.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Deske wrote:Like when The Smelters fan that talks to the bird at the pub was the one I noticed.
actually if you listen to them every day, he mentions moving away with his wife and kids on one of the later days, something about a job or something.
every let's player i've watched thought the same thing. I doubt any of the cultists would have plans to leave.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Deske

Post by Deske »

Hm. Didn't really listen to em much after the first few days. Just a coincidence I suppose.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I recently got Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse. Kinda fun, and slightly different battle system than I expected. It's possible to EARN moves in your turn, and possible to lose them. Also, the demon fusion system is actually kind of fun.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

I recently bought Total War: Attila. Always liked some strategy games. Played Rome I and Age of Empires growing up, and now I'm a regular player of Supremacy 1914 online as well.
I've also tried playing Star Trek: Online among other things.
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Jacey wrote:I could say skyrim, but I think that may be cheating a bit. Since i have been playing horizon; zero dawn of late, i have to say that i do enjoy the mountain areas around there. Its a really beautiful game.
I been playing Skyrim myself.

Khajiit like to sneak.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I kinda want skyrim to die off, so that Tales of Elsweyr can stop being just a rumor... EITHER CONFIRM OR DENY IF THE NEXT GAME IS A THING BETHESDA!
Deske

Post by Deske »

I thought it was already confirmed for a 2018-2020 release schedule.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Source? also three years is a pretty wide window...

Plus, that doesn't address the Set in Elsweyr, Set in the Black Marshes, or set somewhere else entirely, issue that, last I checked was still unanswered. Personally, I want to see Elsweyr, but the Black Marshes/Argonia, was the most popular theory last I checked.
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Deske wrote:Like when The Smelters fan that talks to the bird at the pub was the one I noticed.
actually if you listen to them every day, he mentions moving away with his wife and kids on one of the later days, something about a job or something.
every let's player i've watched thought the same thing. I doubt any of the cultists would have plans to leave.
There's no in-game info on who the cult members are, but if you look up a certain piece of cut content...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So Yooka-Laylee is finally out. I'm not that far into it but it seems like they pulled off everything they set out to do! It's pretty fun and nostalgic.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

I think skyrim is also coming out for the nintendo switch.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:So Yooka-Laylee is finally out. I'm not that far into it but it seems like they pulled off everything they set out to do! It's pretty fun and nostalgic.
Yeah it is great! I'm having a ton of fun with it.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Just finished the main story for the first DLC for Witcher 3. Couple more side quests to do. What a fantastic game. So many grey choices, there's never really a 'best choice'. Simply fantastic.
ShadowLightning

Okay, I just completed my first run of Undertale. I'm assuming I got the... neutral ending? I killed some of the monsters, but not all of them. That ending though really caught me off guard. And I thought I couldn't hate Flowie even more. His battle form looked really terrifying too, but I liked how the battle went overall. Despite losing several times, you can still beat him since you can continue right where you lost. The power of determination. I'm a little surprised though how short the game is. I was expecting it to be a lot longer. But I guess the replay value is what makes it really good. I'm gonna try to go for a Pacifist run. Hopefully I'll get a really nice ending.

In other news, I went to the gameshop today to check if they have Persona 5. They did, but I didn't have the money. :cry: I mean, I have the money for it (just not at the time), but I feel like I should save a little bit.