Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

D-Rock

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by D-Rock »

I've heard mostly great things about the newest Mario Party. Heard only bad things about the previous two games.

Honestly, my favorite minigames from the N64 games was Face Lift, Hot Rope Jump, and that one game where you outline a character with a jackhammer, don't remember what it was called.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i really started to dislike the fire emblem games part way through the 2nd one I played because the needlessly cheap and punishing combination of their 'no mistakes allowed ever' save system and mid battle enemy spawn could be. unless you play through the campaign twice and write down where every spawn point is and what turn it triggers on the first time through, you basically need to be precognitive to avoid regular casualties.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:i really started to dislike the fire emblem games part way through the 2nd one I played because the needlessly cheap and punishing combination of their 'no mistakes allowed ever' save system and mid battle enemy spawn could be. unless you play through the campaign twice and write down where every spawn point is and what turn it triggers on the first time through, you basically need to be precognitive to avoid regular casualties.
In later games that only becomes a problem if you play on the hardest difficulty. On normal and below, your fallen units (baring those that die for story reasons) come back after the battle is over. Doesn’t make the healers any less difficult to level up, since the enemies always prioritize them, but at least it doesn’t get as bad as hard mode, where you are correct about needing precognitive powers to survive.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:i really started to dislike the fire emblem games part way through the 2nd one I played because the needlessly cheap and punishing combination of their 'no mistakes allowed ever' save system and mid battle enemy spawn could be. unless you play through the campaign twice and write down where every spawn point is and what turn it triggers on the first time through, you basically need to be precognitive to avoid regular casualties.
Out of curiousity, what was your second one? Some fire emblem games are notably harder than others

Also, we okay talking about leaks here or the recent grinch link for smash allowed (that’s its name, don’t worry, he only stole Christmas not a slot for another character)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I owned Fire Emblem (GBA), and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:I owned Fire Emblem (GBA), and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.
Yeah, those are HARSH compared to the recent games. I think Fates might be more up your alley, though be warned that in the Conquest route, you don’t have any options to grind unless you buy a DLC map.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I never had any trouble with Sacred Stones because the first floor of the Tower of Valni was too easy to exploit for a ton of levels from relatively early in the game, but I can see how it'd be rough if you played it through without abusing that. The first game on the GBA could be absolutely brutal at times, though. Fortunately, I played it at a time in my life when I had no life, so I could afford to play through entire levels multiple times over to ensure I was prepared for reinforcements and whatnot. I could've just let certain characters die, but I always hated losing characters so I would just reset and try again if someone ever died. I think I beat Sacred Stones at least twice, and I beat both the Eliwood and Hector campaigns on both normal and hard modes in the first game. I loved it so much. Easily in my top 10 favorite games I've ever played.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So i been enjoying Maple Story 2 since it hit Steam this month and it got me thinking - this mightbe the best free MMO for players to play on for casual and social members of this place. I decided to make a guild on here for anyone that's interested. Eastern servers - Completely social guild and you don't even have to be on all day to have fun. very laid back. If you are ever interested, send me a PM in this game. We have chickens. (thanks to Advisor Damien for the guild icon)
Attachments
MapleStoryGuild.png
MapleStoryGuild.png (242.07 KiB) Viewed 8655 times
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... so that smash direct... anyone else not even sure how to feel about that 40 minutes shared with us?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I know how I feel.
TABUU JUST PULLED A THANOS ON THE CAST!!! SUBSPACE BOSSES ARE BACK!!! A POTTED PLANT IS NOW A FIGHTER!!! I CAN’T TELL IF I’M MORE CONFUSED OR EXCITED!!!

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Aaaa is an appropriate response... but right now screaming is not something I can do. There were 4 good additions to focus on I think, also could really enjoy guessing who the 5 dlc characters will be, I actually do have 4 guesses due to the music and stages thing at least suggesting each would represent a different series and have at least a few songs rather than just the one or two characters like duck hunt would bring with them
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There is going to be so much content in this game and I'm in awe. There will be so much replayability and I love it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm totally buying all of the smash content.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

GameCobra wrote:I'm totally buying all of the smash content.
Same. I am going to buy all the things. Also, who do you hope the DLC fighters will be? I’m kinda hoping for Raiden, so we can have some revengence songs on the soundtrack.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Ken reveal: "This is cool, kinda figured, but neat nonetheless."
Incineroar: "Okay, that's neat, even if I didn't get into the Sun/Moon series."
Piranha Plant: I kid you not, this was my literal reaction.

All-in-all, the hype is only getting higher!

And that story mode looks promising! Kirby gets a lot of love from his daddy, doesn't he? :lol: I am a bit sad that trophies aren't coming back, but I actually enjoyed the sticker system in Subspace, so this new Spirits mode looks like it could be fun.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Someone already made an Infinity War version of the new trailer. And it’s....... actually pretty good.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Even if I wasn't into Pokémon, which I totally am, I'd be super happy about Incineroar if for no other reason than that it's both a professional wrestler and a furry.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Speaking of Pokemon, some type combinations I just don't get. Like basically anything that is Normal and has a different type. Why not just make them the full on secondary type. I was confused in generation II when Girafarig came out as a Normal/Psychic type. I do get it with Flying-types though who have no other typing being classified as Normal-types though because they are just "normal" birds. It especially annoys me seeing as Clefairy is now a pure Fairy type but its cousin Jigglypuff is still Normal and has a secondary Fairy-typing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Smash really gotta get here soon. lkjalkdsfjlkjesr

I need my Belmonts and Koopas and Ridleys and Pokemonz and violins and robots and robots that play Violins with pokemon named after Belmont.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I've beaten about half of the kingdom hearts series, 1, 2, Ventus's and Terra's story in birth by sleep, and dream drop distance, oh also fragmentary passage
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I've beaten 1, 2, Sora's half of Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days. Definitely getting three when it's released, though. :D

And maybe they'll be able to port the collections to Xbox?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

honestly i'd be happy if the switch just got a proper metroid game and a proper starfox game. and no clunky motion aiming that constantly drifts out of alignment this time.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Let's see what Metroid Prime 4 has in store, then. And let's see if the original Metroid makes it to the NES library on the Switch. Or maybe it has, haven't been playing the Switch in a long while. Work has been draining.

Side note, I enjoyed Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Played as Fox the whole time. His pilot ability was just too fun. Though I did end up overleveling and wiping the floor with the final boss. Maybe I'll try the hard mode next.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:And let's see if the original Metroid makes it to the NES library on the Switch.
why? i already own the real thing, as well as have a copy built into zero mission.

it has not aged well.

also regarding starlink, can it be played as-is, or do you need online nonsense like accounts to ubi_____ services?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Ubisoft account is an optional thing. making one gives you mods for your ship, which act as equipment. I never did that. The whole game can be beaten with just the starter pack if your good enough. I got the physical version because I really wanted that Arwing. Just note that the Switch version has a Day 1 update, and a pretty big one at that. :( I don't have the greatest of connections, so it took way too long to update. Apparently the entire game didn't fit on the cartridge.

Also, nowhere did I see that to use the digital versions of the ship and weapons that come with the Switch starter pack, you have to disconnect from the ship mount and use the regular control mount.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I think my favorite quote about the new Super Smash Bros game came from the SSB thread on Spacebattles.
“There's a reason WoL was memed as Kirby's slightly unusual Thursday.”
Because when you think about it, Galeem is nothing new to the pink puffball. He deals with something like this almost every game.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

considering that's one of the seemingly only two kinds of 'Big Bads' HAL seem to know how to make, it really does not surprise me in the slightest.
axelthefox

Post by axelthefox »

Tried Dark souls remastered and it seems harder than skyrim
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I hate Undertale's genocide route, not because it is cruel and involves killing dogs, but because the bosses are unfair *cough cough* Undyne, Sans. *cough cough*
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Being evil takes effort. I couldn't go through the genocide route because of how dang tedious it is.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

it's an interesting concept and has by far the most fun battles, i would have preferred if i could have face opponents who were actually trying on the other routes though. the rest of the game is still too easy.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

My favorite part of Undertale is the music. While Megalovania is the one that gets all the memes, I think songs like Bergentrückung, Finale, and Death by Glamour are much more entertaining to listen to. The “sequel” Deltarune has some amazing tracks too, with my top three being Chaos King, Vs Susie, and Field of Hopes and Dreams.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:I've beaten 1, 2, Sora's half of Chain of Memories, and 358/2 Days. Definitely getting three when it's released, though. :D
More power to you for beating Chain of Memories. I've never been able to finish it. It's just such a bad combat system. I've beaten 1 and 2 at least three times. I'm even one of the top 1500 players on Union Cross.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you made it further than me. while i never took any issue with the story or game play, i got about twenty minutes into 1, got fed up with Disney's contributions to the cast and character aesthetics, and abandoned the series never to look back.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe now that some time has passed you can go back and try the game again to see if your feelings have changed?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Kingdom Hearts was my first exposure to Final Fantasy, really.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maybe now that some time has passed you can go back and try the game again to see if your feelings have changed?
I don’t know, the first game has not aged well. I’d recommend Birth by Sleep instead. It has a relatively self contained story, and has some of my favorite gameplay in the whole series. Just do yourself a favor and look up how to meld the ability EXP walker. Trust me, it is worth the hassle.

fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

D-Rock wrote:Kingdom Hearts was my first exposure to Final Fantasy, really.
Mine too. I've never played a FF game before. I have FF XV but I haven't bothered with it. Everyone should play Kingdom Hearts just because it is one of the best game series ever made. Two is the all time best with the story telling and actual gameplay mechanics. I played it first (after the Chain of Memories disaster) and it broke my heart and created a deep lifelong obsession with the series. Now that you can buy the entire series in "The Story So Far" there really is no reason not to play. Of course with that you can't actually play 365 Days (breaks your heart) or Re:coded (not worth it) but the others are fantastic.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Maybe now that some time has passed you can go back and try the game again to see if your feelings have changed?
I don’t know, the first game has not aged well. I’d recommend Birth by Sleep instead. It has a relatively self contained story, and has some of my favorite gameplay in the whole series. Just do yourself a favor and look up how to meld the ability EXP walker. Trust me, it is worth the hassle.
As i said, the problem isn't the story, or game play, the problem is Disney.

with the rare exceptions of Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, and Lion King, Disney's 2D animated works were something I tolerated at best, and despised at worst, and my opinion of them has only soured with time.

i don't like their art styles, characters, or sense of humor, and while i admit i don't know if they're still present or not, i'm not willing to check, because i'd rather be in the dark than correct.

unless I no longer have to put up with 3D interpretations of ugly 2D-era Disney characters, particularly that accursed mouse and his friends, and the way that their presence means the visuals are a mess of multiple contradictory art styles that only just barely fit together, and that i didn't like even before they were amalgamated into one thing, the problem hasn't gone away.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

In that case I guess we'll all have to agree to disagree.

Personally I loved the amalgamation of styles, I like crossovers, especially ones that really shouldn't work. (You should see how ridiculous Donald and Goofy look in the Pirates of the Caribbean world in KH2).

Back when I was playing the games the stuff that annoyed me was when the FF characters took the forefront. I still don't know who half those characters are.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.