Tropes!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Tropes!

Post by Buckdida »

"What is this about? This wiki is a catalog of the tricks of the trade for writing fiction. We dip into the cauldron of story, whistle up a hearty spoonful and splosh it in front of you to devour to your heart's content. "

TV Tropes is a wiki that looks at writing strategies in the media. Any, and everything you've ever seen in entertainment is listed here, whether a character might might go absolutely nuts when you say or do the right thing or the fact that the most manly man always seems to do something like bake cookies in his spare time. Whatever the case might be, you'll probably be spending hours after hours as navigation bar up top explodes with tabs as you try to understand what they're saying.

See, I noted that a lot of us here (Rick included!) are Tropers, or people who look, read, link, and maybe even edit TV Tropes.

To start off, let's look at the Housepets! TV Tropes list to give an idea of what this is about.
(Careful, there are spoilers.)

Also, be warned that TV tropes is quite informal...swears abound on occasion (particularly the "Cluster F Bomb" page, though that's obvious) and that some of its content isn't forum appropriate. So be careful clicking around.

This thread is made for you all to share your favorite tropes! There's a ton out there, so go and find those gems and link them here. Try not to break forum rating with the actual tropes, okay? Have fun!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dissension

Re: Tropes!

Post by Dissension »

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Victorious Childhood Friend has always been one of my favorites. Chekov's Gun is also high up there along with the Chekov's Boomeragng variation on it. To add some more that I like there's also Xanatos Gambit,Bad Powers Good People,An Ice Person and Making A Splash,Berserk Button is always a good one. I Want My Beloved To Be Happy is always nice to see even if its almost always sad and to go along with that there's If You Ever Do Anything To Hurt Her (though I don't think I can link to it) also there is always all the Crowning Moments (There's too many to link to) and Pet the Dog. There are a few others but I can't really post them on here

By the way can we also post about tropes we don't like, or do you think that would cause to much of a problem?

Edit: Add more that I like Edit 2:added one more (I forgot it in the first edit) Edit 3: Add one more that I forgot
Last edited by IceKitsune on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
DarkHeartsAndSuch

Post by DarkHeartsAndSuch »

my sig represents my favorite, "Buffy Speak."
Kuja wrote:"Why should the world exist without me? That wouldn't be fair. If I die, we all die!"

RP Characters
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

I actually found out about TV Tropes through the Housepets! forums. The Apocalypse Brings Out the Best In People is actually my own creation, which I am distinctly proud of. If I had to pick out a couple tropes that are my favorite, though, I'd also say Chekhov's Gun, as well as Xanatos Gambit, Xanatos Roulette, Breaking the Fourth Wall, No Fourth Wall, and Lampshade Hanging.

.....What?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I started the page for Wizard People, Dear Reader. Forum rules dictate that I don't link it. It was a travesty that such a brilliant work had no page.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:I started the page for Wizard People, Dear Reader. Forum rules dictate that I don't link it. It was a travesty that such a brilliant work had no page.
Forum rules?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

There are quotes in it that use very colorful language. Maybe that's not actually in the forum rules, but better safe than sorry.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

I love tropes.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Enty

Post by Enty »

TROPERS 8D My kinda board, this is.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic one of the best, just cuz its a classic
This is not a signature.
dynaslash

Post by dynaslash »

I'd have to agree with no fourth wall and breaking the fourth wall. You, behind the screen! What do you think!
[04:08:26] <+Dynaslash> Schrodinger's GIANT ROBOT
[04:08:54] <+Frooxius|Busy> (for sore throat and common cold and souch)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

dynaslash wrote:I'd have to agree with no fourth wall and breaking the fourth wall. You, behind the screen! What do you think!
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

TROPES. YES.

Aaaaugh I can't chose my favourite trope. I'd say Big Bad or something like that but that's too general.

Though I am looking for opportunities to use "Did You Actually Believe" and "I Lied" somewhere >:3
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I think I like way to many Tropes so here's some more that I like. Busman's Holiday and Titled After The Song
Cerebus Syndrome is one of my favorites (when its done right) Alternate Universe is one I really love a lot and I really love the Mirror Universe versions. I also like Died in your arms tonight.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is there any reason why Bino is the trope image for Housepets!? I think there are many, many more images that would work better.

Too bad there are rarely more than like 4 characters on a panel at a time. A big group picture would work well. But for what we have, I'd suggest just Peanut and Grape.