Tech Talk

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

zeekgenateer

Re: Tech Talk

Post by zeekgenateer »

Beagle wrote:I'm looking at buying a new laptop. However, customer service is a fail. I can't get a human on the line..

Anyways, I've got everything else down pat, but I need some help with wireless network specs.

I see two things:
~802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
and
~Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED)

What's this Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified for, and why would it be important to have? I don't want to buy a laptop, then all of a sudden: "Oh! You need a ..." My dad. Will. Kill. Me.

I'm looking at the Dell Gateway NV series, if that helps anyone.

If anyone's good with computers, please help me out here. D:
WiMax is a newer wifi technology that hasn't been deployed except in a few cities (NY, Chicago, LA, but I'm unsure). Since it's not in use much it isn't important if you have it or if you don't.

~802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED means you can connect to almost every wireless network except for wireless 802.11a, which doesn't see much use. Same goes for "802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED" except you won't be able to connect to 802.11b which even though it sees more use than 802.11a, its really old and most routers only support it for backwards compatibility.

Are those two different wireless cards you're looking at? Do you have a link to the laptop in question? That way I can look at the specs directly

Edit: Ugh my crappy wifi keeps making me only post the quote...

Edit 2: Oh and I wouldn't suggest Dell as a manufacturer. If you can get an Acer, or an Asus they're the best laptop brands. Samsung and Toshiba are also good. Don't buy a HP or an emachine they have the worst 3 year failure rate (last I checked).
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Samsung's transparent AMOLED laptop doesnt have a very big screen but it's amazing. Even regular AMOLED screens are amazing how far you can actually bend it without the picture messing up at all.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

zeekgenateer wrote:
Beagle wrote:I'm looking at buying a new laptop. However, customer service is a fail. I can't get a human on the line..

Anyways, I've got everything else down pat, but I need some help with wireless network specs.

I see two things:
and
~Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED)

What's this Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified for, and why would it be important to have? I don't want to buy a laptop, then all of a sudden: "Oh! You need a ..." My dad. Will. Kill. Me.

WiMax is a newer wifi technology that hasn't been deployed except in a few cities (NY, Chicago, LA, but I'm unsure). Since it's not in use much it isn't important if you have it or if you don't.

~802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED means you can connect to almost every wireless network except for wireless 802.11a, which doesn't see much use. Same goes for "802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED" except you won't be able to connect to 802.11b which even though it sees more use than 802.11a, its really old and most routers only support it for backwards compatibility.

Are those two different wireless cards you're looking at? Do you have a link to the laptop in question? That way I can look at the specs directly

Edit 2: Oh and I wouldn't suggest Dell as a manufacturer. If you can get an Acer, or an Asus they're the best laptop brands. Samsung and Toshiba are also good. Don't buy a HP or an emachine they have the worst 3 year failure rate (last I checked).

You rock zeekgenateer! Thank you for putting it in human terms. :)

Yes, I was comparing laptops and saw that some have that: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED

and others have that Intel® Centrino Advanced-N + WiMax 6250 Wireless Card (802.16e/2.5G WiMax Forum Certified, 802.11a/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED)

I found out at 2 AM that Dell and Gateway are not the same company. I had thought Gateway was an offshoot (like the Dell Inspirons), but apparently "Saying you want a Dell Gateway is like saying you want a Microsoft Apple". I was too tired to go back and fix my post.

This is the laptop I'll ask my dad for, since it's got the standard wi-fi, buit still everything that I want: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668763.php

This is the one that I was looking at. But if that extra wi-fi card is useless, I'll save him $40:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668788.php

Before I ask him to get it, what do y'all think of it? I'm sure many of you reading this know much more about computers than a 15 year old. It's: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668763.php

Thank you all for helping me. And a thank you too to Tha Housedog for helping me with this via PM last night.

P.S. Oh yes. We've owned an eMachine before. Total. Utter. Garbage. Never again!
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Well I couldn't find a better laptop for the price, but a recent-ish study about a year ago found Gateways to be higher in failure rate than most other brands (Square Trade laptop reliability 11/09).

I wasn't aware that Acer laptops were doing so horribly in reliability, though I don't know too many people who have them.

I really am a fan of Asus and Toshiba (and IBM/Leveno for business laptops), and choosing a laptop can be a tough decision. I haven't been able to test my suggestions myself (though if I had the money I'd love to), but my friend has been doing OK with his Gateway gaming laptop. I don't want to be too entrenched in my beliefs but I think Asus laptops are really stellar.

Here's this one (ASUS K52 Series K52JC-X2) for you to consider. It's got a slightly slower processor (by .10ghz) and doesn't have a bluray drive. It does have a better graphics card, with 1gb of dedicated video memory (which can be big if you want to play games). It comes with parts and labor for 2 years which is a nice deal.

Whatever you decide hopefully it goes well. Laptops can be fickle things.
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

zeekgenateer wrote:Well I couldn't find a better laptop for the price, but a recent-ish study about a year ago found Gateways to be higher in failure rate than most other brands (Square Trade laptop reliability 11/09).

I wasn't aware that Acer laptops were doing so horribly in reliability, though I don't know too many people who have them.

I really am a fan of Asus and Toshiba (and IBM/Leveno for business laptops), and choosing a laptop can be a tough decision. I haven't been able to test my suggestions myself (though if I had the money I'd love to), but my friend has been doing OK with his Gateway gaming laptop. I don't want to be too entrenched in my beliefs but I think Asus laptops are really stellar.

Here's this one (ASUS K52 Series K52JC-X2) for you to consider. It's got a slightly slower processor (by .10ghz) and doesn't have a bluray drive. It does have a better graphics card, with 1gb of dedicated video memory (which can be big if you want to play games). It comes with parts and labor for 2 years which is a nice deal.

Whatever you decide hopefully it goes well. Laptops can be fickle things.
I will stay with my Gateway. That Asus doesn't have the Turbo Boost for 2.8 GHz processing. And, I'm not looking for a gaming laptop anyways. Graphics cards aren't too important. It's for music, videos, and pictures. Plus being fast enough and able for schoolwork and whatnot. I'm college bound in about two years. I just need Speed and Space, basically.

My dad is very wary with brands. He wants me to get a Dell, but I've had too many bad experiences. He's not crazy about Gateway, but he's giving me some leeway here. He's never heard of Asus, and doesn't hear much about Toshiba, so those are out. Remember, it's his money, and he has final say.

Thank you for helping me zeekgenateer. =)
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

It would have a similar function since it also has an i5 processor. Turbo boost is a part of the i5 Series of Intel Processors. It would probably be able to raise itself up to 2.7GHz.

I understand that Asus isn't a big brand, and that as your dad is set in his ways, to buy from big brands, I am set in mine, not buying from them. Glad I could help and hope everything works.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

zeekgenateer wrote:

I see two things:
and

I have had a dell for years, and it works perfectly fine and always has.(other than the fact that i killed its original processor by overclocking, but that's irrelevant, and i replaced the processor, and am using it right now) my dad also has had an HP laptop for years, and it's still working fine, too.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

No one will ever be able to convince me to buy a Dell. Not after the horrible months I spent fixing my family's computer during middle school, spending hours on tech support talking to people who knew less about computers than me. That and the horror stories I've heard about hardware problems.

No thanks. If I buy a laptop it'll be an Asus or a Toshiba, unless someone comes up with a new netbook or tablet (who isn't apple).
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I actually found a laptop that (should be) better than Gateway.
It's an HP.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... 20-%2016.9

There's a special going on where you can get a free upgrade to 6 GB of RAM and 640 GB of HDD.
zeekgenateer wrote:No one will ever be able to convince me to buy a Dell. Not after the horrible months I spent fixing my family's computer during middle school, spending hours on tech support talking to people who knew less about computers than me. That and the horror stories I've heard about hardware problems.

No thanks. If I buy a laptop it'll be an Asus or a Toshiba, unless someone comes up with a new netbook or tablet (who isn't apple).

Haha, that sounds like my situation. Anything that runs on electricity in my house, if it breaks, I'm supposed to magically be able to fix it. >___<; I have done so much work on our Dell PC (it works at a good speed, it just has certain 'other' problems that I can't really fix without better knowlegde of computers and some better software), that I'd like to throw that thing right into the dumpster.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I should have waited for Intel i-series processors before buying my computer.
Everything is integrated onto those chips!
----

When buying a laptop, remember not to put too much priority on the RAM or Hard Drive storage space.
There are not many instances where a home computer would need more than 4 GB of memory.
500GB hard drive should be more than enough for a laptop, an external hard drive can be used for additional storage.
Both are common selling points in the computer retail market.

This laptop should do just as well as the HP one at a cheaper price:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668776.php

And one with a slightly bigger monitor (17.3"), but slightly lower battery time:
http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668590.php

If you are looking for a laptop to use in place of a desktop computer, for gaming among other things,
you'll want a much more powerful laptop than any of those mentioned.
Preferably one with a dedicated graphics card rather than one built into the motherboard.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Beagle I'm going to warn you right now that my friend's HP laptop has given him a LOT of grief. I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with a Gateway than with an HP if your dad wants you to buy big brand.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

zeekgenateer wrote:Beagle I'm going to warn you right now that my friend's HP laptop has given him a LOT of grief. I'm pretty sure you'll be happier with a Gateway than with an HP if your dad wants you to buy big brand.
On the contrary, my HP laptop has had no trouble whatsoever, only problem I've had is a stuck pixel, apart from that its been fine. One of the pluses of getting a HP computer is they create a partition on the hard drive so you dont have to find any disks if something goes wrong and you need to completely restore Windows. My last desktop was a HP too and that's still going strong at 5 years old. My guess is your friend has just been unfortunately unlucky with it i'm afraid.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Esquire Fox-
I'm not looking for a gaming computer. After what happened with our first computer (I was about six and I don't particularly want to talk about what happened ^^; ) , no more computer gaming for me.

It's for: photography, music, videos, and schoolwork. Those tend to eat up memory, especially when I already have about 2,000 pictures and 3,000 songs and three movies on this laptop that I have now.

I have to look with the future in mind- this laptop may have to last me six years. As it gets older, I don't want to notice too much lagging. That's why I'm aiming for the i5 processor. So I won't notice much slow-down as it ages.

I'm sure 500 GB is more than enough, but I'd rather have too much space than not enough (the problem I'm sort of having now). I'm also keeping the thought of the next six years in mind.

I know that a home computer doesn't really need more than 4 GB, but hey, who doesn't like free upgrades?

Ahh, that second computer.... 17.3" is rather huge for my taste and pretty heavy.

Thank you for trying to help though. =) One thing that I don't know very much about at all are graphics cards. Any expertise in that?

@zeekgenaeer & Spargo-
I have looked at Dells, HPs, Gateways, Asus, Acer, and Toshiba. With every computer brand, there are going to be some bad bad ones in the bunch, and some that just plain suck.

This HP that I'm probably going to get, it has a 4.1 out of 5 star rating. The only major complaint is the size of the keyboard (too small) and how it gets too hot on the left side. Oh, and that one person's whose crashed after he got EVERYTHING put in it (the i7 core, the 1TB of HDD, you get the idea). But, I'm not going glutton, and small keyboards are good for me (smaller hands) and quite frankly, this laptop I have now has already proven quite capable of burning me. (It's not clogged with dust).
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

@Beagle

If you need extra storage like I did, you should look for an external hard drive, you can get a good 1TB external hard drive for quite cheap now.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

if the HP laptop is a Compaq Presario I do suggest reconsidering.

I bought this one two weeks ago
If you are not planning on gaming, you will not need higher specs then this.
I can play wow on this laptop with 40 FPS steady, and even l4d2 runs solid enough.

Having more then 500g on a laptop in'st that needed, best to get a external HD extra isntead so you wont cloak up your P.C with stuff ;)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

You won't really need a dedicated graphics card on the laptop unless you plan to work with graphic intensive applications (like CAD and Adobe Photoshop) or graphically detailed games. What you described seems to indicate an on-board graphics card would work fine. That isn't to say that applications 6 years from now won't commonly require this kind of graphical capability, but laptops generally don't come with a good graphics card till the price goes into the 1000's. Not much you can do when you are buying on a budget.

The only real difference between i3 and i5 processors is that i5 processors have Turbo Boost, which can automatically over clock your processor a little bit when you need extra performance. Both processors are dual-core and both have an integrated graphics processors. The mobile i3 and i5 chips have very similar clock rates (speed).

It just isn't worth paying over a $100 more for a low-end i5 processor.
You can use the amount saved to invest in an external hard drive to use as additional storage.
- Esquire Fox

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Spargo- I have looked at external hard drives before, believe me. It would just be a pain to have to plug the thing all the time. I'm very OCD with having all my things in one place, all nice and organized.

I know I ought to get one to back up all my files, just in case of a computer crash. Right now, I'm using my iPod Classis in disc mode as a back up for my pictures and a few school documents. (horray for when I corrupt my software and void my warrenty. >______<;;;;; .... actually.... my warrenty is already over... oh boy....)

@Kyderra- It's not a Presario. It's a Pavillion dv6t series.

@Esquire Fox- I would love to have Adobe, if I had the money for the software. xD I worked with the CS4 version last semester, it was pretty awesome (Soundbooth is downright amazing).

Still, graphics cards; not too important in my case.

Over-clocking? I thought over clocking was actually bad for a computer...?

(Who can so far see that I don't really know too much about computers?)
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Beagle wrote:@Spargo- I have looked at external hard drives before, believe me. It would just be a pain to have to plug the thing all the time. I'm very OCD with having all my things in one place, all nice and organized.

I know I ought to get one to back up all my files, just in case of a computer crash. Right now, I'm using my iPod Classis in disc mode as a back up for my pictures and a few school documents. (horray for when I corrupt my software and void my warrenty. >______<;;;;; .... actually.... my warrenty is already over... oh boy....)

@Kyderra- It's not a Presario. It's a Pavillion dv6t series.

@Esquire Fox- I would love to have Adobe, if I had the money for the software. xD I worked with the CS4 version last semester, it was pretty awesome (Soundbooth is downright amazing).

Still, graphics cards; not too important in my case.

Over-clocking? I thought over clocking was actually bad for a computer...?

(Who can so far see that I don't really know too much about computers?)
well, the new "I" core have overcloking built in, so it's not damaging to your CPU
what it will do is check what type of software you are running, and if the software knows how to use Dual core, it will use it.
If the software can't run dual core, it will shut down one Core, and overclock the main core to the max.
this way, you will alway have the best running performance for any old or new software.

my last laptop was a HP, and I have some personal issues' with the devices,
not only was my repair sloppy, but every person in my class with a HP laptop is having issue's for some reason :S
It's prob just coincidental, but still.

Sony VAIO is also very nice.
this is what i got suggested from a few classmates, It seems very durable
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

@Beagle, yeah I'm sort of the same when it comes to plugging things in all the time.

Another option would be to get a portable hard drive because i don't think they actually need to be plugged in, just usb, but the amount of storage on it for the price is rediculously expensive compared to ones that you plug into the mains.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Spargo wrote:@Beagle, yeah I'm sort of the same when it comes to plugging things in all the time.

Another option would be to get a portable hard drive because i don't think they actually need to be plugged in, just usb, but the amount of storage on it for the price is rediculously expensive compared to ones that you plug into the mains.
Solid state drives; the way of the future.
No moving parts, no latency, quieter and much faster.
SSDs use flash memory and are available in the market today.
But like all new technology, it is extremely expensive to obtain one.
- Esquire Fox

Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Esquire Fox wrote:
Spargo wrote:@Beagle, yeah I'm sort of the same when it comes to plugging things in all the time.

Solid state drives; the way of the future.
No moving parts, no latency, quieter and much faster.
SSDs use flash memory and are available in the market today.
But like all new technology, it is extremely expensive to obtain one.
Was looking at SSD's in "Tutorial" on wednesday. OCZ RevoDrive SSD

- Maximum Read: 540MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 530MB/sec
- Sustained Write: 500MB/sec

Windows 7 would load in like 10 seconds if that, haha.
If it was worth it/possible I would stick one in my desktop, but it's from the days where dual-core was just being developed.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Kyderra- Okay. My dad would .... let's just say he wouldn't be too happy if I damaged my brand new laptop. :p
And, if HP are pieces of junk, there's always the "return if you're not completely satisfied" policy. When I get it for Christmas, I'll be a happy little lark and have a week to just play around with it and test it out.

@Spargo- Mmhmm. When a lot of my files are for my iPod, and you pretty much have to have all your files on your iTunes on your computer for it to work right... it's a massive pain.

@Esquire Fox- I was actually looking at those the other day. (saw it on the Dell website and got curious) Yes, they are very expensive.

Now for all you computer guys, I do believe that's pretty interesting that they've claimed to make a hard drive that will lock and guard everything if it detects your laptop being dropped. I don't actually believe that works, but the idea does sound pretty cool.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Of course, if you have a little extra money, it's never a bad idea to pick up an extended product care plan. Some of those cover accidental damage from handling.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Housepets Translated:

BINARY - 01001000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 01110000 01100101 01110100 01110011 00001101 00001010

HEX - 48 6f 75 73 65 70 65 74 73 0d 0a

BASE64 - SG91c2VwZXRzDQo=

DEC/CHAR - 72 111 117 115 101 112 101 116 115 13 10

MESSAGE DIGEST / CHECK SUM - MD2: 56df137fab52daa1e89eba3049b410a1
MD4: 5d3e8ac37ee37c055f142e9ba766f8d8
MD5: bd40b1691fac0f39777e6cb9e0775980
CRC 8, ccitt, 16, 32 :

CRYPT (form: $ MD5? $ SALT $ CRYPT):
$1$4vTzDrPe$/.OzZB3iV1HPtlV50xyza.
(form: SALT[2] CRYPT[11]):
psmqM.KZlHrxo

SHA1: 327af42cde6191d178c002fd6287bb4cc477728d
RIPEMD-160:
efcd068dab27c92218d91295627821b31def1a81
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Beagle wrote:@Kyderra- Okay. My dad would .... let's just say he wouldn't be too happy if I damaged my brand new laptop. :p
I think you are missing the point of why the Icore is better , it's not damaging to your CPU.

Core Solo -> Core Duo -> Core 2 Quad - > Core 2 Extreme - > Core i3 - > Core i5 -> Core i7
Basically, a i3 core or higher means you are getting a newer generation of CPU and they simply work better :P
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

AMD cores are underused.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

AMD processors run like they are made of peanut butter wrapped in tinfoil.
Their ATI graphics cards are really good though.
- Esquire Fox

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Kyderra wrote:
Beagle wrote:@Kyderra- Okay. My dad would .... let's just say he wouldn't be too happy if I damaged my brand new laptop. :p
I think you are missing the point of why the Icore is better , it's not damaging to your CPU.

Core Solo -> Core Duo -> Core 2 Quad - > Core 2 Extreme - > Core i3 - > Core i5 -> Core i7
Basically, a i3 core or higher means you are getting a newer generation of CPU and they simply work better :P
No, I understood what you meant; That overclocking isn't bad with the iCore.

I guess a better reply would have been: "Thank God for telling me that over-clocking isn't bad with the iCore. Because if overclocking was bad (for the iCore anyways) and I got that laptop, and sent $800+ down the drain, my dad's foot would have been so far up my butt that I'd be eating it for dinner."
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Esquire Fox wrote:AMD processors run like they are made of peanut butter wrapped in tinfoil.
Their ATI graphics cards are really good though.
AMD in my opinion is much better, but let's not get into AMD vs Intel.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:
Kyderra wrote:

No, I understood what you meant; That overclocking isn't bad with the iCore.

I guess a better reply would have been: "Thank God for telling me that over-clocking isn't bad with the iCore. Because if overclocking was bad (for the iCore anyways) and I got that laptop, and sent $800+ down the drain, my dad's foot would have been so far up my butt that I'd be eating it for dinner."
:lol:
And, 800 dollars for a laptop? Mine was 300.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@THD- What are your computer specs and how old is it? The less in it, the cheaper it is. I'm sure you already know that though, since you helped me with my wi-fi last weekend. :lol: This is the HP laptop I'm wanting to get:

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:@THD- What are your computer specs and how old is it? The less in it, the cheaper it is. I'm sure you already know that though, since you helped me with my wi-fi last weekend. :lol: This is the HP laptop I'm wanting to get:

Acer, 1 GB RAM, two years old, came with Vista and upgraded to 7.
Edit: I clicked the link, and now I can't find the bottom half of my jaw.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Beagle wrote:@THD- What are your computer specs and how old is it? The less in it, the cheaper it is. I'm sure you already know that though, since you helped me with my wi-fi last weekend. :lol: This is the HP laptop I'm wanting to get:

My current laptop has 446 MB of RAM. It CAME with 512 MB. Beat that! :lol:

Is losing half your jaw good or bad in this case? XD
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:

Good. I think.
And I removed the stickers on it (stickers are a pet peeve) so I couldn't tell you what processor is in my computer.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Beagle wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote: Acer, 1 GB RAM, two years old, came with Vista and upgraded to 7.

Good. I think.
And I removed the stickers on it (stickers are a pet peeve) so I couldn't tell you what processor is in my computer.
Dunno if it's the same on the Windows 7 as the XP, but...
Start --> Run --> Type dxdiag --> hit 'enter'.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote: Dunno if it's the same on the Windows 7 as the XP, but...
Intel Celeron 560@ 2.1GHz
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Beagle wrote: Dunno if it's the same on the Windows 7 as the XP, but...
Intel Celeron 560@ 2.1GHz
Mine's an AMD Turion @2.0GHz
Now I know why I felt a certain disdain for every computer I've looked at recently that had an AMD processor....
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

AMD are a lot cheaper to buy the core separately, they do exactly same as what you'd get for an Intel that was twice the price.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

FarmMan1812 wrote:a bunch of pointless stuff copied directly from http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/
b2ggd293IGxvb2sgYXQgbWUgaSBjYW4gdXNlIGFuIG9ubGluZSB0cmFuc2xhdG9yIHRvbw==
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, but that's not exactly saying much. *giggles*

One of the interesting parts of my job is that, after a while, you begin to notice patterns. People in my line of work may be among the best-informed technology consumers. Unfortunately, I cannot share this knowledge because I have signed about a billion confidentiality agreements with every electronics company ever to have existed.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other