Male or Female 

Male or Female?
Male 85%  85%  [ 149 ]
Female 7%  7%  [ 13 ]
Unknown 7%  7%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 175

Male or Female 

Post Re: Male or Female
If I may, I'd like to agree with GreatKitsune. The definitions of sex and gender are synonymous; in fact, in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, sex and gender are defined with the exact same wording: "the state of being male or female". The only difference comes in the other definition, where gender is used in reference to grammar. Many other dictionaries also have exact same wordings in the definitions of those two words. So, as it is, Sex = Gender. If the definitions ever change, well then, ok; in the meantime, I would not recommend that controversial ideas be suggested on these forums.

I find it kind of sad that our society has made it so that gender has become a controversial topic.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:35 pm

GreatKitsune Wrote:
I hate this idea of gender being "psychological".

It's not always "psychological." I will first say that I've not really read up on the subject and am far from an expert, but gender identity issues can (and as far as I'm aware, usually are) caused by hormone imbalances. A human may have a female body, but because it produces extra testosterone, they "feel" like a guy. Likewise, a human may have a male body, yet they produce a lot more estrogen than normal and therefor feel like a female.

I'm sorry for your friend Kitsune, but there are legit reasons that people can feel like a different sex and it's also important that these people are informed because it can be scary to not feel like society tells you that you should.

Douglas Collier Wrote:
I would not recommend that controversial ideas be suggested on these forums.

I find it kind of sad that our society has made it so that gender has become a controversial topic.

First, please do not mini mod. That is why us mods are here.

Second, gender is not a controversial topic. However, it seems talking about gender identity issues is, so to everyone, please do not talk about it anymore. If you do, your posts will be removed.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Apologies. :oops:

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:02 am
Bringing Foxy Back

Gonna jump in here for a second, to help emphasize the commitment here to an understanding environment.

"Gender" and "sex" are not synonyms. They are frequently confused, which is why they are colloquially interchanged, but they do, in fact, have different meanings. Sex is a biological factor, determined mostly by external anatomy, sex chromosomes, and hormone-producing genes. These can all be tested scientifically (or just by looking at a prenatal ultrasound, in case of one mostly-accurate indicator of biological sex), and they usually all point to the same sex, but not always.

Gender is a psychological thing, which corresponds to a social construct. One's gender is an identity, which correlates to particular brain structure as well, as we have recently found out.

Most people's sex and gender match. Some people's do not. Those people are identified by their gender, not their sex. Someone with a male gender should be treated like a male, regardless of their sex, and likewise with people with a female gender.
Great Kitsune Wrote:
I've had a friend buy into this and actually become suicidal eventually because he didn't feel he knew himself anymore.
If your friend came to the conclusion that their gender does not match their biological sex and became suicidal, such depression and suicidal ideation is usually the result of society refusing to affirm the person's identity as a transgender person. A transgender person's likelihood of depression and suicide is inversely proportional to the level of affirmation they receive. Affirming a transgender person for their stated gender identity is the #1 best way to prevent their suicide. Insisting that one's decision to identify with a gender inconsistent with their biological sex is the cause of suicidal feelings is not only factually untrue, it also contributes to those feelings themselves. Bottom line: If someone tells you they are transgender, and you blow them off, you are contributing to their possible suicide.

This topic is being dropped, as JeffCvt has said, but I felt I needed to emphasize this fact. Suicide is an extremely serious issue that has touched many of our lives, and I think a commitment to preventing it at all opportunities is a worthwhile thing for our staff to do. If anyone has any further questions, I would be more than happy to answer via PM, but for the purposes of this thread, this topic should be dropped. I would also be more than happy to be a supportive ear to anybody who is contemplating suicide, whether due to gender dysphoria or anything else. Any of our staff, really.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:44 am
Profile WWW
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

I'd just like to confirm what Sleet said. All us staff are normal forum users and normal people like you guys and we're all here to help you all however we can. If you ever need someone to talk to or if you need support for anything then please feel free to send any of us mods a message either via PM or via Skype at any time. Please don't feel intimidated or put off by the colours of our names here. We're all normal, friendly people and many of us have experienced the same issues you all might be struggling with. Even Diss is a lot more friendly and helpful than he pretends to be. He's quite knowledgeable about many things when you get him talking.

So yeah, feel free to talk to any of us staff at any time you feel you need someone to talk to whether it be about gender, sexuality, depression, harassment, bullying, abuse, suicide, or anything else that might be on your mind. We're all here to help. However, we're not an official counselling service. I must stress that point. We don't have training in this sort of thing. We all have our experiences though and we can all put you in touch with people that can help you if need be as well as offering you our own support and stories and we all care about all you guys. If we didn't then we wouldn't be on staff.

Suicide is never an answer to anything. If you or anyone you know is contemplating suicide for any reason then please get help immediately before it's too late.

And remember, we mods are here to help. Whenever you need us.

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing Uncle Noob!

[Image links broken. New links coming soon!]

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:27 am
Profile WWW

well, if this is based solely on biology, then my entry should actually say male. though, it would be wrong, and i find being misidentified as such by those who know better rather insulting.

Epsilon - Steelhaven 10-10-5-2-5-5-5 (5-7)
Kobor - BOH 9-6-10-4-5-3-5 (6)
Talya - BOH 5-10-6-4-9-3-5 (6)
Kol - BOH 9-8-8-5-5-4-5 (4)
Characters

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:00 am
Devil Skirrl

This one's whatever you identify as.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:12 am
Profile WWW

*scratches head* Well, glad that was stemmed out quickly. This topic is a magnet for controversy and vitriolic arguments, to be honest =w=

In any case, reiterating that I identify as a male. Have been and will always be :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)

Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:46 am
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

kurowolfe Wrote:
I identify as a male. Have been and will always be :3

Same for me.

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing Uncle Noob!

[Image links broken. New links coming soon!]

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30