Female
8%
Unknown
8%

Total votes: 182

deepskycyan

Re: Male or Female

Post by deepskycyan »

Speaking of, I've also noticed that females sometimes incorrectly assume males for female, and males incorrectly assume females for male, but generally, females put more thought into identifying gender. Perhaps females like to be sure of who they are addressing before they voice their opinions.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well people tend to assume others are like them more often than they assume they're different. So it makes sense.

Also I don't wear shoes because I am a fox I mean seriously.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Phaaze doesn't wear shoes either (not because his clothing is battle torn), he just bought very weak shoes Yep, corrosive materials will do that to your clothes.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Next time he will have to buy some stronger shoes then.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Can a shoe have a gender? The answer may shock you.
Just an Arc
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

ArcWolf wrote:Can a shoe have a gender? The answer may shock you.
Well, if a shoe is sapient, yes.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

In a lot of languages, all objects are assigned a gender. The French word for shoe, chaussure, is feminine. So yes, a shoe can have a gender.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

This is probably the reason why Phaaze is barefoot and has a new, redesigned outfit now. :|
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can military boots be female and can high heels be male?
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

For me, sometimes it's pretty easy recognize if is a male or a female that's posting on a forum, I see a certain difference in the ways to speak.
Hlaoroo wrote:In a lot of languages, all objects are assigned a gender. The French word for shoe, chaussure, is feminine. So yes, a shoe can have a gender.
Yep. The same is in Italian: "la scarpa" is female.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Can military boots be female and can high heels be male?
In Italian they're both males. :P

Uhm, a bit too off-topic again... :roll:
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

It has come to my attention that many new people have entered the forums, so this poll is kind of outdated

due to them probably not seeing them.

Bump.
Just an Arc
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We need to get more girls here. We have 7 girls to 131 guys or at least that is how it looks.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I am male.

Seems there aren't many females here, wonder why. Only 7 females, but 130 males...
Deske

Post by Deske »

dtlux1 wrote:I am male.

Seems there aren't many females here, wonder why. Only 7 females, but 130 males...
Referring to previous possibilities, I think the main one is that most females don't feel comfortable sharing their gender on the internet due to the reactions they could possibly get from a lot of the crowd.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am very comfortable in my gender though but I guess the ones that voted are the exception.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Deske wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I am male.

Referring to previous possibilities, I think the main one is that most females don't feel comfortable sharing their gender on the internet due to the reactions they could possibly get from a lot of the crowd.
Oh, I forgot how much some females online have to go through, it is sad. That would make sense though.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not to mention Housepets! tends to feed from nerdy subcultures that tend to skew male.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Yeah, and like Tycho said, a lot of websites have gender niches. Nerdy subcultures seem to be more appealing to males.

I'm a male. I might have feminine-like characteristics, but male nonetheless.

Edit: 86%... that's quite high.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is so cool being a part of a minority!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

We have a couple new users, maybe they want to participate. :)
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Oooh, didn't know we had this thread. I'm a male! :P

Oh also, dang, I had no idea there were this many guys compared to girls on the forum. I thought it would be a little more evened out or something. Buuut seeing as how this thread only just got brought up again today, maybe there are more girls now?
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

I forgot about this forum. I voted but never posted. I am male.
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Come on everybody! Step up and show what your gender is! Girl power!
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

I'm a male. I think...
My tree now has a café in it. Yay?
Hlaoroo wrote:In Soviet Russia, TreeInAHound!

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau
Larkin Dewolfe, Chivalry Residences
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You mean you don't know your own gender?
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

I think I know my own gender, but can you really trust that your biology teacher wasn't making a mistake? :P

RP Character(s)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

sex is biological, gender is psychological and chemical. and you are the only one who can tell what your gender is.

so if you feel like a male, you're male.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Oh, I think I should be male then. But Unknown might be more accurate now...

I'm just feeling awkward now :/

RP Character(s)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought this was more about biological gender than actual gender. Maybe w should put a note up...?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

well biological sex is hard to be unknown. "other" would be a more accurate in cases where sex is not male or female.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Originally, this topic was created with regard to biological sex. Gender dysphoria and other issues were not really things I (or, I imagine, Alex) had much considered. Subsequently, I've had a richer experience with people who aren't so neatly classified. A couple of very close friends are women with male bodies (and I've been in relationships with one of them twice). I think it would be more appropriate for us to focus on gender identity in this topic, rather than which sex organs one has.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

"Unknown" is a running gag in the comic for the Bigglesworths. I'm sure that was the intent of the unknown being there, but it's fun seeing this stuff. X3

Your gender is born to you, but as the saying goes: when it comes to the Internet, all bets are off. I could be an alien :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that is true. You are only what gender you feel.

And I'm not a woman, I'm a vacuum cleaner.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

In that case, I'm an Attack-Helicopter.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Those are not genders and they have no place in this topic. Kindly refrain from further off-topic posts.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Since this is on topic, I have a bit of a rant to post regarding this line of thought:

I hate this idea of gender being "psychological". I've had a friend buy into this and actually become suicidal eventually because he didn't feel he knew himself anymore. Gender and sex are synonymous. That is and has been a perceived fact and the conjectures of modern philosophy should not be allowed to suddenly change this, not when effect of such change can't possibly be foreseen or guaranteed to be positive.

Also, I think it's horrible that this suggestion is being taught to children in some schools now, exposing them to issues they're too young to understand and encouraging them to base their entire life around a childhood whim.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

If I may, I'd like to agree with GreatKitsune. The definitions of sex and gender are synonymous; in fact, in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, sex and gender are defined with the exact same wording: "the state of being male or female". The only difference comes in the other definition, where gender is used in reference to grammar. Many other dictionaries also have exact same wordings in the definitions of those two words. So, as it is, Sex = Gender. If the definitions ever change, well then, ok; in the meantime, I would not recommend that controversial ideas be suggested on these forums.

I find it kind of sad that our society has made it so that gender has become a controversial topic.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

GreatKitsune wrote:I hate this idea of gender being "psychological".
It's not always "psychological." I will first say that I've not really read up on the subject and am far from an expert, but gender identity issues can (and as far as I'm aware, usually are) caused by hormone imbalances. A human may have a female body, but because it produces extra testosterone, they "feel" like a guy. Likewise, a human may have a male body, yet they produce a lot more estrogen than normal and therefor feel like a female.

I'm sorry for your friend Kitsune, but there are legit reasons that people can feel like a different sex and it's also important that these people are informed because it can be scary to not feel like society tells you that you should.
Douglas Collier wrote:I would not recommend that controversial ideas be suggested on these forums.

I find it kind of sad that our society has made it so that gender has become a controversial topic.
First, please do not mini mod. That is why us mods are here.

Second, gender is not a controversial topic. However, it seems talking about gender identity issues is, so to everyone, please do not talk about it anymore. If you do, your posts will be removed.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Apologies. :oops:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Gonna jump in here for a second, to help emphasize the commitment here to an understanding environment.

"Gender" and "sex" are not synonyms. They are frequently confused, which is why they are colloquially interchanged, but they do, in fact, have different meanings. Sex is a biological factor, determined mostly by external anatomy, sex chromosomes, and hormone-producing genes. These can all be tested scientifically (or just by looking at a prenatal ultrasound, in case of one mostly-accurate indicator of biological sex), and they usually all point to the same sex, but not always.

Gender is a psychological thing, which corresponds to a social construct. One's gender is an identity, which correlates to particular brain structure as well, as we have recently found out.

Most people's sex and gender match. Some people's do not. Those people are identified by their gender, not their sex. Someone with a male gender should be treated like a male, regardless of their sex, and likewise with people with a female gender.
Great Kitsune wrote:I've had a friend buy into this and actually become suicidal eventually because he didn't feel he knew himself anymore.
If your friend came to the conclusion that their gender does not match their biological sex and became suicidal, such depression and suicidal ideation is usually the result of society refusing to affirm the person's identity as a transgender person. A transgender person's likelihood of depression and suicide is inversely proportional to the level of affirmation they receive. Affirming a transgender person for their stated gender identity is the #1 best way to prevent their suicide. Insisting that one's decision to identify with a gender inconsistent with their biological sex is the cause of suicidal feelings is not only factually untrue, it also contributes to those feelings themselves. Bottom line: If someone tells you they are transgender, and you blow them off, you are contributing to their possible suicide.

This topic is being dropped, as JeffCvt has said, but I felt I needed to emphasize this fact. Suicide is an extremely serious issue that has touched many of our lives, and I think a commitment to preventing it at all opportunities is a worthwhile thing for our staff to do. If anyone has any further questions, I would be more than happy to answer via PM, but for the purposes of this thread, this topic should be dropped. I would also be more than happy to be a supportive ear to anybody who is contemplating suicide, whether due to gender dysphoria or anything else. Any of our staff, really.