Christmas lists

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Christmas lists

Post by Gameb18oy »

So felt it be fun to see what people on the site are expecting to get for Christmas considering what month it is... this is partially so I can just say how excited I am for Smash coming out which I’ll likely get then, alongside the amusing fact I’ll probably be getting a ferret as well, a pet I started to want recently due to really starting to like Keene’s character
fenrirblack

Re: Christmas lists

Post by fenrirblack »

This is the 2018 version of my annual Christmas list.
Attachments
Christmas_List_2018.png
Christmas_List_2018.png (207.31 KiB) Viewed 14754 times
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Usually what I do is give my family three to five items I really want, and a punch of other items I kinda want but don’t care enough about to buy myself.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:This is the 2018 version of my annual Christmas list.
So I’m gonna question why Big Bang theory is on this list + the Disney thing
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I like Big Bang and I always get the Daily Disney Calendar. I have for years. I'm a big Disney fan.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I like Big Bang and I always get the Daily Disney Calendar. I have for years. I'm a big Disney fan.
Don’t see the appeal on Big Bang theory, especially for how long it’s lasted, but I was only asking on Disney as for some reason didn’t expect you’d like it, not even sure why
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Big Bang has gotten sour. I'm honestly relieved that this is the last season. I always admired Disney's popularity and wide range of media. I want to start my own mass media empire that sucks in everything like a black hole. Lion King is my all time favorite movie.
Legotron123 wrote:Usually what I do is give my family three to five items I really want, and a punch of other items I kinda want but don’t care enough about to buy myself.
I do that same thing actually. Most of those on the list are just things I don't want to buy myself or are traditional annual gifts like Big Bang or Once or One Piece. Fables is one of those things I don't want to pay my own money on. Either way I still have to buy my own gifts but I use my parents credit cards.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Basically the only thing I ever ask for is iTunes gift cards. I would be nothing if it wasn't for my music so I like to be able to buy songs even if the newer songs out sort of do stink.

Oh you like Disney? Then you must enjoy the slapstick. Like this: *tosses cherry pie in Fen's face* :D
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

what i would like to receive: updates from 2438 fanfics.
what i'm most likely going to get: a phone call asking if i can cover someone else's shift.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The classics - A dusting of snow, go to a movie or three (probably one Disney - I grew up and grew old on Uncle Walt), and make sure the sun goes down. then, fire in the fireplace, big cold beer, some baroque music (lotsa Bach), and ALL the phones turned off.

Buster - tell the office you've been tied up by deranged elves and can't make it in.

A.Dayzee - Lots music to yahs - and a cherry pie (mmm. good taste, sir!)'.

Fen - Yea, Christmas is still about "cards", ain`t it? Much music to you, mate.

Legotron - The old strategies always work; we did that too.

Game - I gotta ask - but you don't have to answer - you gonna name the ferret after one of the Miltons?

Best.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:The classics - A dusting of snow, go to a movie or three (probably one Disney - I grew up and grew old on Uncle Walt), and make sure the sun goes down. then, fire in the fireplace, big cold beer, some baroque music (lotsa Bach), and ALL the phones turned off.

Buster - tell the office you've been tied up by deranged elves and can't make it in.

A.Dayzee - Lots music to yahs - and a cherry pie (mmm. good taste, sir!)'.

Fen - Yea, Christmas is still about "cards", ain`t it? Much music to you, mate.

Legotron - The old strategies always work; we did that too.

Game - I gotta ask - but you don't have to answer - you gonna name the ferret after one of the Miltons?

Best.
It’s most likely gonna be female, so low options. I’m not even fond of the name Lana so there’s not a good chance on that sadly, plus little sis is eager to pick a name so I might feel inclined to go with one of her choices
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Very thoughtful, Game....
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

We’re fairly close, looking forward for seeing her over the holidays
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Also probably something else I would like on my lists would be some essential oils for my diffuser since the last year I have gotten into using oils and a diffuser because I like the scents and it is relaxing so that might be something else.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've always hated having to make Christmas lists. My family wants to know what to buy me, but also doesn't really understand my hobbies. It forces me to basically demand specific things.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its hard for me now also because I really don't want a lot for Christmas now since I have grew up.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:I've always hated having to make Christmas lists. My family wants to know what to buy me, but also doesn't really understand my hobbies. It forces me to basically demand specific things.
Same, honestly. Since I usually ask for video games, clothes, or computer/photography equipment, Christmas lists were pretty dicey when I was younger.

A few examples would be asking for a PS2 game and getting the GameCube version of it, asking for a particular kind of camera and then having my parents get swindled by a salesperson who sold them a more expensive but lesser-quality brand, or getting clothes that are absolutely in the wrong size. It honestly wouldn't matter how specific I got, it was somehow always very much an unusable thing. For a very long time my parents insisted that they would be the ones to buy these things so it would be a surprise(??) on Christmas Day. They got so sick of having to keep track of gift receipts that I now I tell them what I want, I show it to them, and they hand me their credit card. It saves them a lot of headache and now I can actually use or wear things on Christmas Day (I never had a GameCube, by the way).
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the last time i made an actual list, my dad misunderstood a speciffic model of sound card for any sound card by that brand. he wound up getting me the exact same model i already owned, and the only reason i wanted to upgrade was adding midi ports to accommodate a keyboard i had been saving for. thanks dad for buying me a superflous duplicate of a part i already have rather than spend the extra $20 to get the one i asked for... no, that wasn't an awkward conversation. not at all.

(not that it wound up mattering, the money for the keyboard i wound up spending on art supplies for an animaion course i had thought was going to be strictly CG since it was adversed as digital animation, instead of 95% not-digital-in-the-slightest. it's not like i was specifically paying someone to teach me how to be not-garbage at making animated CG characters, which i'm STILL paying off despite it turning out to have been a USELESS course relative to my actual goals, OH WAIT. and people wonder why animated cg characters always look 'off', oh maybe it's because the courses that look like they're specifically for that have barely anything to do with it, and are teaching mainly 2D pencil-and-paper techniques, meant to compensate for limitations of a different medium, that can't be applied the same ways! no, i'm not bitter, not at all.)
Last edited by Buster on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Would you like to talk about your problems in depth?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Therapy for Christmas? ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Beagle wrote:
Sleet wrote:I've always hated having to make Christmas lists. My family wants to know what to buy me, but also doesn't really understand my hobbies. It forces me to basically demand specific things.
Same, honestly. Since I usually ask for video games, clothes, or computer/photography equipment, Christmas lists were pretty dicey when I was younger.

A few examples would be asking for a PS2 game and getting the GameCube version of it, asking for a particular kind of camera and then having my parents get swindled by a salesperson who sold them a more expensive but lesser-quality brand, or getting clothes that are absolutely in the wrong size. It honestly wouldn't matter how specific I got, it was somehow always very much an unusable thing. For a very long time my parents insisted that they would be the ones to buy these things so it would be a surprise(??) on Christmas Day. They got so sick of having to keep track of gift receipts that I now I tell them what I want, I show it to them, and they hand me their credit card. It saves them a lot of headache and now I can actually use or wear things on Christmas Day (I never had a GameCube, by the way).
I’ve had similar issues in the past which is why I started making very specific lists with pictures, prices, brand or console. After I went to college and got an amazon account it was easier to buy everything. Ticks my mother off since she wants surprises for me which I agree with but I want accuracy more than surprises.

I also had a similar incident with guitar hero. Got the ps2 version when we needed the wii. Did have a ps2 thankfully but it wasn’t the same. Thinking back I don’t think it was the right number though. Wanted 3 and got 2
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like surprises, but I don't trust my family to really know what to do.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Would you like to talk about your problems in depth?
Dayzee i could rant for DAYS about how broken education in general is, and my personal experiences with getting screwed over by it, but this isn't the topic for it.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Got just about everything I wanted this year and then some. I was born on December the 27th and not counting the birthday gift (which is Xbox One Duke Controller) I've made off like a bandit.

With a Nintendo Switch bundle with Super Smash Bros Ultimate, 50 Dollar Nintendo Switch Card which netted me a annual "Nintendo Online" (alongside a side collection of NES games I can indulge in in case Smashing is getting monotonous) and the Fighter Pass for Smash Ultimate with the Piranha Plant character alongside a 128GB SDCard... That's over 800 dollars worth of stuff counting dumbphone and prepaid to run it.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Seriously impressive, James...
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@fenrirblack: I use Pinterest to save my Christmas list, but my parents are still not technologically inclined enough to do online purchases no matter where my Christmas list is stored. :lol:

@JamesTCat: I have a Switch too! I recommend Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild if you want to get any more games. SnipperClips Plus and Super Mario Party are also really fun party games to play when you have company over!

Oh, I should probably mention that I got some of my Christmas gifts early. I'd been wanting a PS4 for a while now but since the console is 5 years old, I thought that even the $200 Black Friday bundles were still asking too much for a console that might become "obsolete" in the next year or two. So as I was just casually browsing Craigslist one day in early November, I found a gently used console and controller for $100! My boyfriend bought it for me and wanted me to have it early so I could play the Spyro Reignited Trilogy when it released. Since then we've created a small library of games together. =)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I’m hoping for money.

With money I can buy anything I want. Also, since my love language is gifts, when people get me a gift that seems impersonal, it hurts - it makes me feel like they didn’t care enough to find out who I am; it would be better to not receive the gift in the first place than to get something I don’t like. And my lack of many interests and pickiness just makes it all the more difficult. That’s why money is the safest bet.

Gift cards are fine (if I actually go to the venue that it’s for - another “getting to know me” moment), but if it’s all in gift cards, I can’t make expensive purchases, which limits my options as to what I can get. I’d rather have one or two expensive items that have been out of my reach than a few less hard to obtain items.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother would sure love you then. She HATES giving money out.

Unless it is in gift cards.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I hate gift cards. Any type including those gift credit cards. Getting a gift card just means you are obligated to buy something from that store. Amazon is okay since I buy everything there anyway but that's not the point. I much rather have cash that way I can use it wherever. But at the same time I find the concept of cash lazy and off-putting. A gift, no matter what it is, is better to me because (unless you just went to walmart and grabbed the first thing you see like Axe body products) at least you put in some effort.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Gift cards are fine. I guess I prefer the visa ones, or Amazon, since I do most of my shopping online. Cash just burns a hole in my pocket, so that's not preferable.

As for gifts, if somebody wants to get me something then that's great, but there isn't really anything I need right now.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Only gift cards I want are for iTunes so I can go and put music on my iPod. Since today's music really doesn't interest me like it did before, I tend to look for popular songs that were made in the early-2000s to mid-2010s.

Also if I get Amazon gift cards, that is fine also because I can use them to buy oils for my diffuser.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Can we use this space to also talk about this gifts we've given this holiday season?

I got my dad five thermal shirts, a sherpa-lined hoodie, and a classic cars calendar for next year. I got my boyfriend all four Uncharted games, a sherpa-lined hoodie, a thermal shirt, and a pair of pajama pants. (I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm really good at shopping during sales. I spent about $50 on each of them.)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Mostly got my relatives gift cards because that is the thing that our family does now: gift cards. I also got my father a math mug since he is a high school math teacher.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Well, it happened. I got a gift card from one of my relatives. I put it out in the universe and the universe threw it in my face. A gift card to Best Buy, a place I have not bought anything from in years. The last time I even stepped foot in one was when they were giving out Latias and Latios codes. The saddest part is that they never give gift cards so why this year?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey if yo want to maybe I can throw a pie in your face to make up for it. :mrgreen:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you know i was kinda wondering when you were going to start using that as your solution to everything again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I've already used it a few times. I think of it as a funny running gag.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Tired one, but that's neither here nor there.

Still got some shopping to do. Got something for my mom, dad, and brother. Still need to figure out my uncles and aunt. One of my uncles shouldn't be too difficult, though.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Done!

Now that you mention it, Amayzee, I could go for a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. (That's from an old song, by the way.)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Never ask Amazee for pie. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.