Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,OK?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Chat Thread 43: Good Ol' ArcWolves' Club (Voting's hard,

Post by Sleet »

Probably because you're nuts.

Ya should post here more! And join the Telegram chat.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Telegram chat.
Telegram chat.
Telegram chat.
Telegram chat.
Telegram chat.

*curls into a corner*

;_;
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Join us, Cobra.

Or not, I barely get involved in the HP Telegram chat, myself. I had to shut off notification from that one because of how busy it got one night.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:Ya should post here more! And join the Telegram chat.
he tried, he needs a better phone to sign up
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yeah, i only use home phone, not cell. Otherwise i would be on in a heartbeat.

Tried it again and got the option now to send it to any phone number, but mine can't accept text messages. =\
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

GameCobra wrote:Yeah, i only use home phone, not cell. Otherwise i would be on in a heartbeat.

Tried it again and got the option now to send it to any phone number, but mine can't accept text messages. =\
Out of sheer curiosity and hoping it isn't considered as asking for personal info, what's your phone company? They might have an option in the webpage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

FINALLY got in. Thanks to Not So Furry. I wasn't getting a verification code. x3

Now i just need to stay logged in...
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

GameCobra wrote:FINALLY got in. Thanks to Not So Furry. I wasn't getting a verification code. x3

Now i just need to stay logged in...
You're welcome! about the staying logged in bit, haven't you changed the 10 minute e-mail account to your own?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm sure i did, but i better be safe.

EDIT: Annnnnd i'm off again. Temporary numbers don't do well unless i have a permament phone number. otherwise i have to keep switching phone numbers. This sucks.

Going to try to find another way tomorrow or next Friday.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Best of luck!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Liam

Post by Liam »

A pitbull-dachshund mix.

Every time he opens his mouth a Pez candy comes out.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So, i realized something earlier...

Every fic I've ever written has been at it's best when the driving force behind my writing is being upset about something. Whether it's Luna's redesign, moronic sonic shippers, every halo/metroid crossover using the same predictable and annoying setup, Sunset's wasted potential, or a major arc ending far too early for my liking and in a way that felt unsatisfying because the two most important characters in it got 'put on a bus' just as they were FINALLY starting to show signs of genuine development and growth.

And when that's gone it just kina peters off into an endless loop of 'ill work on it later'...

How the heck do i fix that?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, one idea is you make sure to write short enough fan fics that you can finish while angry.

another idea is, instead of writing based on things you saw and want to see an alternative, find stories you want to see and make them happen.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

So a storytelling drive based on negative feelings. I've heard of those. So your writing is a sign of bringing about your own satisfaction because you didn't get that from the official thing? Well, fic writers often do what they envision is better than what they got, it's all subjective in the end. But you lose this negative feeling and suddenly you don't feel like finishing it. It does sound detrimental in the long run for writing projects, but at least it's a sign of letting go of those feelings.

As for fixing that, not a clue, unfortunately, especially as I can't write, myself. I can come up with concepts easily and maybe even get what I refer to as a "skeleton story," but I can't fill it in myself. I have to rely on others.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'd write about something that inspires you or that you're interested in. Something you enjoy. If your writing is only coming from negative feelings then it's only going to create negative feelings and that's going to dissuade you from writing.

As to finishing the current stories though, the only thing for that is discipline. Tell yourself you're going to write X amount of words each day and until its done and don't stop until you do.

Question though. By Sunset, are you referring to the Sunset Plateau RP? Because if you have ideas for how we can improve it and maximise its potential I'd love to hear them. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:Question though. By Sunset, are you referring to the Sunset Plateau RP? Because if you have ideas for how we can improve it and maximise its potential I'd love to hear them. ^^
I believe she means Sunset Shimmer from My Little Pony: Equestria Girls
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Hlaoroo wrote:Question though. By Sunset, are you referring to the Sunset Plateau RP? Because if you have ideas for how we can improve it and maximise its potential I'd love to hear them. ^^
Sunset Shimmer, from MLP. wrote a crossover between that and RWBY because I felt that setting could bring out her potential better. Unfortunately I got bored with the fic and handed it off to another author (who turned out to be a MORON and butchered it into a god-awful Kamen Rider crossover of all things. Completely missing the point.)

In her first Canon outing she was interesting but felt like she was being constrained by the setting (as did everyone else present) and not in a good way, Ultimately resulting in a MASSIVE amount of wasted potential. Here is a dark mirror of your protagonist, identical in every way save for less restraint and greater ambition, and all that those have driven her to, yet instead of using that to do something interesting they do the same stupid thing hundreds of works before them have done with their disposable antagonists.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, I see. I've never watched MLP.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Really! Most furries seem like they have! You should give it a try! :3
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I've watched all the episodes of MLP...it's mostly solid...although on an episode-by-episode basis it tends to be hit-and-miss in places.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I saw most of season 1 and 2, tidbits of the following seasons. Most of what I get now are fan art and reviews. Pretty entertaining.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just found out that both George A. Romero and Martin Landau have passed away. Rest in peace good sirs.
Liam

Post by Liam »

It's almost 2018, are you prepared to become a full-fledged cyberpunk?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

weren't half of those devices discontinued by the end of the 90s?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I... think it's a joke? I honestly can't tell.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

im pretty sure i remember having a device that looked just like that private eye thing tho. it was a cellular dialup device, not even proper wireless. that loop is an antenna.

besides which, the baton-style stungun and lockable briefcase are the only devices there not rendered obsolete thanks to smartphones. (or in the case of a certain Pre-Pentium era laptop, rendered obsolite by anything more complex than a toaster.)
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

The heyday of cyberpunk stories was the '80s and early '90s. The tech in the stories reflects that despite being set in "The Future".

It's a running joke I've seen in discussions of the genre.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:I... think it's a joke? I honestly can't tell.
It's from Mondo 2000, which was a genuine cyberpunk culture magazine, so I think it's meant to be taken seriously.
Buster wrote:besides which, the baton-style stungun and lockable briefcase are the only devices there not rendered obsolete thanks to smartphones. (or in the case of a certain Pre-Pentium era laptop, rendered obsolite by anything more complex than a toaster.)
Yeah, today to be a cyberhacker all you need is a cell, a baton and an iconic cap.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Liam wrote:
Buster wrote:besides which, the baton-style stungun and lockable briefcase are the only devices there not rendered obsolete thanks to smartphones. (or in the case of a certain Pre-Pentium era laptop, rendered obsolite by anything more complex than a toaster.)
Yeah, today to be a cyberhacker all you need is a cell, a baton and an iconic cap.
don't forget the cool looking jacket, convoluted backstory, and neckwarmer/scarf thing you're using as an improvised mask despite the fact that it's pointless given how much your outfit stands out.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Also the netspeak stuff was a lot cooler and less lame/childish than it's seen as nowadays.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Random question to artists out there, what would you say are good starting points in learning to draw anything organic? My current level in that subject tends to fall on "laughable."
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

D-Rock wrote:Random question to artists out there, what would you say are good starting points in learning to draw anything organic? My current level in that subject tends to fall on "laughable."
I don't really think I'm that good, but I think building a skeleton helps, as does drawing a flow line to base out the movement of organic.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Random question to artists out there, what would you say are good starting points in learning to draw anything organic? My current level in that subject tends to fall on "laughable."
life drawing classes, preferably ones that use models (some people will insist that nude models are better, but not me. honestly i always found that more distracting than helpful, especially the male ones). barring that, find a cafe or something and try to sketch the other people there. if neither of those options are viable, go on google and look up "pose reference" though that is a last resort only. as the temptation to trace is problematic, and most of the benefit of sketching people comes from observing how they move, static images don't do that.

don't try to get any details at first, just practice poses and movements. work on the details once you've got those down.
also, don't loose confidence if getting that down takes months or a few years. that's normal. I've been drawing for two decades and even i still backslide into impossible limb placements or laughably weird posture every now and then.

sometimes more often than i'd like to admit...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I don't head out much at all, but I could try that next time I'm in town. Could stop for lunch somewhere.

Though I'd likely come off as a creeper. That's why when I'm eating alone, I'm in, get done, out. Worth a shot, at least.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Liam wrote:It's almost 2018, are you prepared to become a full-fledged cyberpunk?

Oh hey it me on on a film set
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Liam

Post by Liam »

Okay, guys, everybody go home, technological civilization has reached its goal.

This is a pipe that can brew fresh coffee. It's over, humanity has won.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

The ultimate vice. =P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

does it come with an ironic moustache or do you still gotta grow that at home?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Call me when I can vape coffee.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

It has been a long time since I've been here and now everything's extra strange...

I don't know where to start.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.