Undertale

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Macsen

Re: Undertale

Post by Macsen »

Dr_Yay wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:Yeah, I just ate one of the spider pastries that I'd got in the ruins the first time I took damage. I'd heard about the trick, wanted to see it for myself. Sure enough, it worked.
If you really want to grind for enough money with the Cloudy Glasses trick you can also buy from Muffets stand and the battle won't even start at all :P
Make it easy for yourself. Buy the spider bake sale stuff in the Ruins, and hold onto at least one of them until the Muffet battle. Eat it at the beginning of the battle, and you don't have to fight. It's a lot cheaper. :P

But make sure you die a few times and grind the Cloudy Glasses for the Temmie Armor. Dying makes the Temmie Armor cheaper. Makes Asgore SO EASY.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Plus you get the satisfaction of sending Temmie to college to make something of herself. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

pity she took up armor making, not much of a market for that on the surface...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Sleet wrote:Plus you get the satisfaction of sending Temmie to college to make something of herself. :3
And she did it without her face, too!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

"Haha. Very funny. I'm the one with the degree."
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, so JUST beat my first run, and I don't know how to feel.

Toriel, all random encounters, Lesser Dog, Metaton, Asgore, and Flowey are dead, Undyne wants me dead, but at least Sans and Papyrus let me know how screwed I am. I really came to hate Flowey, killing Asgore when I spared him, and that boss battle! There was so much booting off! Powered through it, at least. Decided to prove him right one last time; kill or be killed.

Odd thing is, if given the choice, I avoid conflict. Games with morality choices, such as Persona and Mass Effect, I typically try to choose what my ideal is, with very few exceptions. Here, though, I couldn't bring myself to kill Undyne or Asgore, despite them wanting me dead, and the others, I just didn't care for.

Exception to that is Toriel. I initially decided on doing a genocide run first, but after seeing her treatment, I decided to at least spare her. Then came the battle. I desperately wanted to get the mercy option to light up, but it wouldn't show up, talking, whittling her health down, I really tried. But the last blow was a critical. I felt horrible there. I ended up not being able to bring myself to kill most of the other bosses.

*sigh* I intend to do the Genocide run, followed by the True Pacifist. See how long that lasts. Also, it definitely is a great soundtrack. Decided to get the bundle of the game and OST when I got it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I highly recommend you go true pacifist first. 1, genocide is more difficult and takes more time since you have to farm random encounters and 2, this game remembers, you'll get a different experience if you do genocide first.

also, I'm glad to see someone else who killed Flowey at the end. though you did it in a regular neutral run, I did it in my pre-true pacifist no kill neutral run.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm addicted to Bonetrousle and Megalovania.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Spider Dance is my favorite, though Dummy! and Ghost Fight are pretty good too
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I don't think I'll ever do anything but True Pacifist. I've gotten too emotionally invested. I can't bring myself to kill anything. I hesitated at Asgore the first time.

Here's how I did my first two runs:

First time, I made the mistake of loading up on Temmie Flakes before Undyne, and died at least half a dozen times to her before backtracking all the way to Snowdin to get some bicicles.

I learned the gold farming trick, but figured out the Cloudy Glasses work a lot faster than the Dog Residue. And with all the dying I did, I got the Temmie Armor down to 1000G.

I used the armor trick to win the Mettaton fight before blowing off any of his limbs. Changing armor and eating MTT resort food items (Glamburger and Facesteak) during the fight puts the ratings sky high. Have the stick in your inventory, too.

I faced Asgore flawlessly with the Temmie Armor, then died four times to Photoshop Flowey. I also befriended Papyrus and Undyne before the fight, so I got the best first-try ending possible.

When I beat the game, I went straight out. I failed to get gold credits on six of the monsters, including Shyren.

For the second time, I tried to get a few more encounters. I beat Undyne first try this time, and completed the concert with Shyren. This time, I only befriended Papyrus the first time around. I wanted to get the letter to Alphys immediately after befriending Undyne.

I didn't get the Temmie Armor immediately because I didn't die as many times, but that made Asgore far more difficult. I died six times before breaking down and buying the Temmie Armor for 2400G. Ironically, I didn't die at all against Photoshop Flowey this time around.

I explored after winning, but I stopped short of going through the ruins to talk to Asriel.

Im going to play a third time. This time, I intend to record it on Twitch. I might do a reset after the first run just to try to get True Pacifist from start to finish.

And this time, I'm going to go visit Asriel.
Last edited by Macsen on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

I... actually haven't seen 'my' ending, to tell the truth.

I completed the game and all, true pacifist. Mercied Asgore and Flowey, got through the true lab, then confronted Asriel. Once I was done, I traveled back to talk to everyone, and went all the way to meet Asriel. But after talking with him, I couldn't bear to leave. So that's where I left the file.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Spider Dance is my favorite, though Dummy! and Ghost Fight are pretty good too
Spider Dance is very catchy. I also like Battle With A True Hero.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I prefer Your Best Nightmare and Hopes and Dreams.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I'm sorry, but nothing gets me hyped up for a game more than "Spear of Justice".
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

CosmicCoyote wrote:I... actually haven't seen 'my' ending, to tell the truth.

I completed the game and all, true pacifist. Mercied Asgore and Flowey, got through the true lab, then confronted Asriel. Once I was done, I traveled back to talk to everyone, and went all the way to meet Asriel. But after talking with him, I couldn't bear to leave. So that's where I left the file.
If you couldn;t bear to leave Asriel, then I recommend you check out the blog dreemur-reborn on Tumblr. It explores an alternate ending where Frisk figured out how to save Asriel after repeatedly resetting the timeline. He did it by giving him his own soul so they now share Asriel's body. it gets a bit sad sometimes but overall, it's a good ending for everyone.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
CosmicCoyote wrote:I... actually haven't seen 'my' ending, to tell the truth.

If you couldn;t bear to leave Asriel, then I recommend you check out the blog dreemur-reborn on Tumblr. It explores an alternate ending where Frisk figured out how to save Asriel after repeatedly resetting the timeline. He did it by giving him his own soul so they now share Asriel's body. it gets a bit sad sometimes but overall, it's a good ending for everyone.
Way ahead of you. :P
RP chars:
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Exception to that is Toriel. I initially decided on doing a genocide run first, but after seeing her treatment, I decided to at least spare her. Then came the battle. I desperately wanted to get the mercy option to light up, but it wouldn't show up, talking, whittling her health down, I really tried. But the last blow was a critical. I felt horrible there. I ended up not being able to bring myself to kill most of the other bosses.

*sigh* I intend to do the Genocide run, followed by the True Pacifist. See how long that lasts. Also, it definitely is a great soundtrack. Decided to get the bundle of the game and OST when I got it.
Whittling down the health of ANY monster other than that run's final boss is actually counterproductive unless your going for the No Mercy ending or the Genocide ending.

Boss monsters like Toriel, Muffet, and Metaton don't give clear indications of when they can be spared. (In all three cases you need to stall until an event triggers. toriel and muffet will eventually let you go, muffet will do so early if you have bought spider donuts, and metaton will stop fighting if you max out the ratings)
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, thanks for the tips.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:muffet will do so early if you have bought spider donuts
actually I'm pretty sure she only ends early if use something you bought at the spider bake sale during the fight. otherwise she ends after "dinner" and before "dessert", with different dialog depending on whether or not you bought anything.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

This guy's got a bunch of Undertale covers worth listening to.

ASGORE, Battle Against a True Hero and Hopes and Dreams are my favorites, but let's face it, the soundtrack's amazing so pretty much all the covers are too.
RP chars:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hopes and Dreams and Home are among my favorites in the whole game. Though, as a musician, there are a lot of flaws with Hopes and Dreams that I wish they'd fix...

I will never do a genocide run after getting the real ending... I just want them all to stay happy...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

I haven't played the game before. I'm just one of those watchers. But THIS GAME!! THIS GAME!!
Amaaaazingggg
I need to buy it now. It was amazing to see Cryaotic do it, but this is the sort of game you need to experience yourself... Then it will be even more amazing!
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Buster wrote:muffet will do so early if you have bought spider donuts
actually I'm pretty sure she only ends early if use something you bought at the spider bake sale during the fight. otherwise she ends after "dinner" and before "dessert", with different dialog depending on whether or not you bought anything.
If you bought at the bake sale right before the fight, you don't even enter the fight system. She lets you go immediately.

If you bought at the bake sale in the Ruins, and eat one of those items during the fight, the fight instantly ends.
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

It's also true that eating the Butterscotch pie during the fight with Asgore makes it easier, right? I heard that somewhere... The song that plays during that fight is one of my favorites from the game, which I bought. It's sure to be lots of fun.
Also, about Asgore... You can tell he has so many regrets about everything he has done... The reason he destroys the MERCY button is not because he wants to murder you with no escape, but because he believes he doesn't deserve mercy. He doesn't even feel worthy of looking you in the eye, which is why he looks down. Talk about guilt...
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know, he's such a tragic character. You go the whole game expecting some monstrous tyrant and then you get that. Him being similar to Toriel just drives the point home.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

What do you guys imagine Papyrus' voice sounds like?
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Czukay wrote:It's also true that eating the Butterscotch pie during the fight with Asgore makes it easier, right?
Briefly, but not for long. It will also instantly free the lost souls of Asgore and Toriel if you eat it while saving them in the True Pacifist ending.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

hypernovatic wrote:What do you guys imagine Papyrus' voice sounds like?
Skeletor or the narrator from Battle Block Theater.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Undertable

when I try to voice him it ends up a mix of Skeletor and The Monarch from Venture Brothers. swo somewhere in there.

though since I heard it, this guy's Papyrus has been slipping into my head whenever I read his dialog.
Mickey wrote:the narrator from Battle Block Theater.
actually, yeah, sonicmega's version sounds like a mix between Skeletor and Stamper(the guy who voices the BBT narrator)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

hypernovatic wrote:What do you guys imagine Papyrus' voice sounds like?
Like the voice he was given in the "Papyrus makes a mixtape" recording. look on youtube or soundcloud.
A lot of the tumblr users who record voices for the various fancomics on there use the same template for those two that it does, so i've gotten used to the skelebtros sounding like that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:Like the voice he was given in the "Papyrus makes a mixtape" recording. look on youtube or soundcloud.
that's actually the one I linked, by SonicMega
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I just invoked So Sorry.

"Smells... furry!" :3
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Just finished the True Pacifist run (dang, a lot of bosses were frustrating, resorting to farming the cloudy glasses for the temmie armor, which had been reduced to 3000), and I absolutely loved it!

The way everyone showed up to help you, learning the truth behind everything, the actual battle against Asriel, absolutely incredible! :D

I actually took the time to walk all the way back to the beginning area, and really felt my heart tear when listening to Asriel. Just so sad, people! :cry:

But, there's one more thing left to do; Genocide. Time to harden my heart.

I'll see about making a slightly more proper review once that's all done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I voiced a couple things I found on Tumblr of Sans and Papyrus.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I haven't actually played the game, since I don't have a computer that can run it. Hoping it gets ported to a Nintendo system so I can play it, though I've heard that's not likely due to the program he used to make it. One thing I really like to do is watch people's reactions to the various twists in the game, like Omega Flowey, Asriel, and The Sans fight.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

oh also I made a Gingerbread Sans
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

I discovered the save files.

I can now go anywhere I please, at any time.

I can also "print money" in the game, so I can buy everything.

:twisted:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What good is buying everything? Most of it matters very little. :P
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The Temmie Armor is actually very effective. And you need to have all the armors to speed up the Mettaton fight when you're aiming to spare him.