anyway....lets see.

first matrix.
halo legends.
terminator.
all alien movies. (not prometheus.)
jaws.
war of the worlds.
starship troopers.
and some other stuff that i wont list......
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Radio Blue Heart

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I saw the remake of "Red Dawn". Here it is actually!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Smu_Chuz0

I will admit it. It is better than the original. But of course, I hated the original so there was a lot of room to improve on.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I saw the remake of "Red Dawn". Here it is actually!

I will admit it. It is better than the original. But of course, I hated the original so there was a lot of room to improve on.
Liking it more doesn't make it the objectively better movie.

So anyway, anyone else here gone to see the Jurassic Park rerelease?
Argent

Post by Argent »

The greatest movie of all time is Real Genius.

Just about every wacky prank in there, other than the house, was based on a real wacky prank someone pulled at Caltech.

Including Lazlo's contest prizes.

And Lazlo.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

Penwrite wrote:

Liking it more doesn't make it the objectively better movie.

So anyway, anyone else here gone to see the Jurassic Park rerelease?
please tell me they are NOT remaking that good movie......GOD NO.....
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Radio Blue Heart

"Good"?

They already remade it. It was supposed to come out in 2010. But the film was originally going to depict a Chinese invasion of North America. But the Chinese government was none too happy about that and threatened to ban all films produced by MGM (including "Skyfall"). Since China is a very important film market, due to MGM's financial troubles, the film was delayed for two years looking for a distributor and to re-edit the film to change the invading armies from Chinese to North Koreans.
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Geeze, no wonder the Norks are jumpy.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

The original was awesome though, in a cheesy 80's Pro-'murrica patrick swaze shooting russians kind of way. I mean I wouldn't ever call it a "good" film but it's a fun watch.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Back in the past, I said Tales of the Past 3. I still think it's an absolutely amazing movie, perhaps one of the best movies ever considering the amount of money that went into it was very, very little. It's some of the best use of a video game ever, if not the best. Using only programs like Fraps, WoW Model viewer and WoW Map viewer, somebody made a feature length film that was absolute incredible. I don't think it's ever been done before or since, but please tell me if I'm wrong there.

In any case, some of my fav' films today:

Sweeny Todd: Demon Barber of Fllet Street
The Departed
Terminator 2
Rear Window
Fight Club

I've tried to include films that haven't been listed before on this thread. I'm shocked there's not been any Tarantino yet. (I personally don't like his films, but I know they are good.)

Also, Last Hunter, did you mean the original War of the Worlds or the remake?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Huh I would have though I'd have mentioned him by now. He's probably the only director making movies right now that'd I'd put in my "I'll see anything he puts out" category. Resevoir dogs, Pulp fiction, Django Unchained, and Death Proof are all favorites of mine. And I loved him in From Dusk til dawn and desperado.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

What film do you think a newcomer to Tarantino should watch first, if any?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The first film of Tarantino's that I ever saw was Kill Bill.

Boy did I jump into the deep end of the pool! XD

But Tarantino's for sure one of my favorite filmmakers right now. Might actually be tied with Guillermo del Toro for my favorite current filmmaker.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

44R0NM10 wrote:What film do you think a newcomer to Tarantino should watch first, if any?
My personal favorite is pulp fiction. But either that or Resevoir dogs is a good choice because they're the two films that best show off his style and pretty much the ones that define his career. I've never seen kill bill all the way through but from the bits I;ve seen when it's been on T.V. it'd also be a really good one to start with.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

Penwrite wrote:The first film of Tarantino's that I ever saw was Kill Bill.

But Tarantino's for sure one of my favorite filmmakers right now. Might actually be tied with Guillermo del Toro for my favorite current filmmaker.
oh if only kill bill was a little longer.....it was bloody....so very bloody....i loved ever second of that saga.....
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:

The original was awesome though, in a cheesy 80's Pro-'murrica patrick swaze shooting russians kind of way. I mean I wouldn't ever call it a "good" film but it's a fun watch.
I remember I showed the original to some of my friends from Russia and Serbia. When they realized it was a serious movie they were aghast! One of them exclaimed "My God! Is that really how you people see us?!" I couldn't help but laugh!

Apparently there is a cult following in Russia for American films that stereotype them or grossly misrepresent their culture. They call these stereotypes "cranberries". The Schwarzenegger film "Red Heat" is to them what "Troll 2" is to us. Just absurdist fun because of the cultural and language mistakes.

The Australian film "Tomorrow, When The War Began" makes the invading nation a fictional nation or coalition of nations. I think they invade to seize the Foster's.

My fist Tarantino film was "Pulp Fiction". My dad rented it and let us all watch it until it got to intense and made all of us kids go to our rooms while he and my stepmother watched it. They left the house for a while the next day and we watched it without their permission anyway! It was a site to see. Of course I was about 8 at the time...

I like del Toro better by far! He is a genius. It is too bad that "At The Mountains Of Madness" will never get made.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

lasthunter wrote:

oh if only kill bill was a little longer.....it was bloody....so very bloody....i loved ever second of that saga.....
Word is that Tarantino's going to make a third movie. I know for sure that he's at least writing a story for it right now.

So, just got back from seeing the new Evil Dead movie. That was... gruesome.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Happy birthday Charlie Chaplin!
I'l be watching Gold Rush, City Lights, and maybe Limelight.
Penwrite wrote:So, just got back from seeing the new Evil Dead movie. That was... gruesome.
Was it any good?
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, most of the acting was nothing to write home about, and it lacked the subtly unnerving vibe the first Evil Dead movie had, but I adored how heavily it makes use of practical effects. Something like 95% of what you see on the screen is really there, not cgi. It had a nice, gritty feel I think, bringing to my mind the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre sort of.

Also, brutal. Holy Toledo was this film brutal. Puts every other Evil Dead movie to shame with the level of brutality. I was squirming in my seat, hand covering my eyes half the time. That NEVER happens to me, lol.

Also has an absolutely epic chainsaw kill. So overall, yeah, I'd say it was good. Just don't expect to eat much popcorn while you're watching. I could hardly touch mine, heh.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Well, most of the acting was nothing to write home about, and it lacked the subtly unnerving vibe the first Evil Dead movie had, but I adored how heavily it makes use of practical effects. Something like 95% of what you see on the screen is really there, not cgi. It had a nice, gritty feel I think, bringing to my mind the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre sort of.

Also, brutal. Holy Toledo was this film brutal. Puts every other Evil Dead movie to shame with the level of brutality. I was squirming in my seat, hand covering my eyes half the time. That NEVER happens to me, lol.

Also has an absolutely epic chainsaw kill. So overall, yeah, I'd say it was good. Just don't expect to eat much popcorn while you're watching. I could hardly touch mine, heh.
I will give it a chance and go see it because you said it was good, Penny. But, the original will always be in my heart.

At Mad Monster Party, Bruce Campbell did a Q & A session in which he told us that if the "Evil Dead" remake is a success, he and Sam Raimi's next project will be a sequel to "Army of Darkness"! They are calling it "Army of Darkness 2" instead of "Evil Dead 4".
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Eyup. And then after the sequel to the new Evil Dead movie they're going to crossover! :D

Which reminds me. Anyone who goes to see the new Evil Dead, stick around during the credits. There's something after them you'll love.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Eyup. And then after the sequel to the new Evil Dead movie they're going to crossover! :D

Which reminds me. Anyone who goes to see the new Evil Dead, stick around during the credits. There's something after them you'll love.
Really? With the original series?!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Eyup. And then after the sequel to the new Evil Dead movie they're going to crossover! :D

Really? With the original series?!
Eyup. If the sequels do well, that's the plan.

But moving on, this just moved to the top of my must-see list this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6DJcgm3wNY
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm really intrigued by the purge. I saw the trailer and it looked pretty good. Worst case scenario it'll be a rip-off of the strangers, which I really liked, so I'll probably go see it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, anyone here seen Carnosaur?
Radio Blue Heart

For her birthday, I took my friend Hunter to see the remake of “Evil Dead”. I am a huge fan of the original and I always prefer classic films over remakes, so I was skeptical.

Overall I thought it was a worthy effort, but it is not my “Evil Dead”. It had excellent gore, a good deal of it practical effects. The acting was a little lopsided and I thought a few of the set pieces were a little absurd but it was still worth seeing.

I found out that if this film was a success, and it was, Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell will make “Army of Darkness 2” (technically “Evil Dead 4”) and will cross it over with this film. So in a way, this film is less a remake and more of a companion piece to the original trilogy.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:For her birthday, I took my friend Hunter to see the remake of “Evil Dead”. I am a huge fan of the original and I always prefer classic films over remakes, so I was skeptical.

Overall I thought it was a worthy effort, but it is not my “Evil Dead”. It had excellent gore, a good deal of it practical effects. The acting was a little lopsided and I thought a few of the set pieces were a little absurd but it was still worth seeing.

I found out that if this film was a success, and it was, Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell will make “Army of Darkness 2” (technically “Evil Dead 4”) and will cross it over with this film. So in a way, this film is less a remake and more of a companion piece to the original trilogy.
That's actually confirmed if you stick around for after the credits, where Bruce Campbell as Ash makes a brief appearance.
Radio Blue Heart

"Groovy".

I know. ;)

But I think you just spoiled it.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sorry. But it's been a couple weeks, I figured anyone who was going to see it in theaters would have already by this point. I'll try not to make such assumptions again.

Anyway, here's a question. What is your favorite decade for film? How about least favorite decade?
Radio Blue Heart

That is a hard one.

I guess for quantity and quality, I would say the 1980s. It was the golden age of practical special effects.

The late 90s to the early 00s was a real low point. Most of the films were cheap knock offs of "Scream" ( like "Urban Legend" and "Valentine"). Occasionally in this period you had a work of genius pop up, like "Dog Soldiers". Every decade had its ups and downs tho.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Yeah, the 80s are my favorite too. There's just a kind of energy in 80s movies, like they'll take dumb or silly ideas but treat them completely earnestly.

And yeah totally, I'd say the mid-90s to early-00s are a real low point. There's just such a feeling of cynicism in movies from the 90s, a feeling like "Oh we're so much smarter than past generations. We're making these movies, but we're making them smarter. Don't you see how silly they all are?" Especially horror movies. As much as I love the Scream series, I kinda have to wonder if they "ruined" the horror genre.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

(In no particular order)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy-Extended Editions (I'm such a nerd :D )
The Original Star Wars Trilogy
Ghostbusters
Blues Brothers
Star Treks 2,4, and 6
Monsters Inc.
The Dark Knight
The Avengers
Second Hand Lions
Galaxy Quest
The Princess Bride
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

WeirdGamer wrote:(In no particular order)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy-Extended Editions (I'm such a nerd :D )
The Original Star Wars Trilogy
Ghostbusters
Blues Brothers
Star Treks 2,4, and 6
Monsters Inc.
The Dark Knight
The Avengers
Second Hand Lions
Galaxy Quest
The Princess Bride
Now that's a great list.
WeirdGamer

Post by WeirdGamer »

Thank you!
My RP Characters and their Voice Claims

I also write stories about kids getting into hi-jinks in a scouting organization. Read them here!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Anyone here seen Iron Man 3 yet? I saw it Friday, and in my opinion at least it's the best Iron Man movie yet!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I saw it. I actually saw it the night it came out.

I can't say I was impressed. What bugged me the most was how there were 40+ Iron Man suits. I mean really? I understand he started building most of them after the Avengers movie, but how can one man make that many super complex, combat ready battle suits that don't even need a human to operate them?

That and how he used them all at the end of the movie. I mean, that just seemed like overkill. Not to mention he didn't even need to really be in one. They were all doing pretty well by themselves. For me it's eliminating the need for Tony Stark at all.

But I never saw the first two movies. So maybe that has something to do do with it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I like comedies.

Clue
Airplane
Caddyshack
Tommy Boy

Also some anime like Detective Conan and Pokemon.
My all time favorite is Princess Bride though. I LOVE that movie.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

JeffCvt wrote:I saw it. I actually saw it the night it came out.

I can't say I was impressed. What bugged me the most was how there were 40+ Iron Man suits. I mean really? I understand he started building most of them after the Avengers movie, but how can one man make that many super complex, combat ready battle suits that don't even need a human to operate them?

That and how he used them all at the end of the movie. I mean, that just seemed like overkill. Not to mention he didn't even need to really be in one. They were all doing pretty well by themselves. For me it's eliminating the need for Tony Stark at all.

But I never saw the first two movies. So maybe that has something to do do with it.
It was pretty clear to me that the other suits weren't really combat-ready at all. He built them one after another without any testing or refining, to distract himself from his PTSD.

Considering how easily Killian and the Extremis Soldiers tore through most of the armors, this is supported by the movie.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sorry Penwrite, but I have to disagree with the whole fact of them being torn apart easily proving they weren't combat ready.

The Iron Patriot was on the level of what no one would dispute as a "combat ready suit," and it was shown it could have been easily destroyed, but it wasn't because it was needed for the plan of the Mandarin.

Or maybe I'm wrong because again, I never saw the first two movies, and maybe that suit was never completed to the level of Tony's suits. In which I would agree that all of the other suits probably weren't all combat ready.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit