Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Punchy

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Yeah, it stared Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Owen Wilson. Basically, it took out all the psychological suspense and atmosphere and replaced it with an insane amount of cg making scary faces and growling. Here's a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6O5coCdVSQ
That looked...terrible.
Penwrite wrote:Also yes, Vincent Price makes most things watchable.
I just recently watched one called The Pit and the Pendulum, it was an Edgar Allen Poe short story.
I thought I ran across another some time ago that had Peter and Jane Fonda in it, but I can't remember.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Yeah, it stared Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Owen Wilson. Basically, it took out all the psychological suspense and atmosphere and replaced it with an insane amount of cg making scary faces and growling. Here's a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6O5coCdVSQ
That looked...terrible.
Penwrite wrote:Also yes, Vincent Price makes most things watchable.
I just recently watched one called The Pit and the Pendulum, it was an Edgar Allen Poe short story.
I thought I ran across another some time ago that had Peter and Jane Fonda in it, but I can't remember.
The Nostalgia Critic did a pretty good review/comparison of it with the original. He considers it to be a prime example of a remake getting the whole point of the original wrong.

Also ooh! I really like that movie! Poe and Price is a perfect match!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I would have to say that my all-time favorite Vincent Price film would have to be "The Abominable Dr. Phibes"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnr9xycVLo

Forget Jigsaw! Dr. Phibes devises the best death traps of all!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i've just watched looper it was mind blowing and totally awesome but i didn't get how could a child have telekinesis? and how could his telekinesis is much more powerful than other people who had TK?
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Luvindonesia wrote:i've just watched looper it was mind blowing and totally awesome but i didn't get how could a child have telekinesis? and how could his telekinesis is much more powerful than other people who had TK?
Um, spoilers?
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

Penwrite wrote:
Luvindonesia wrote:i've just watched looper it was mind blowing and totally awesome but i didn't get how could a child have telekinesis? and how could his telekinesis is much more powerful than other people who had TK?
Um, spoilers?
oh, sorry i thought everybody already watch looper. cause its just came out today in indonesia
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching John Carpenter's The Thing for, like, the umpteenth time. I think it might be my favorite horror movie. In the top five at least.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Just finished watching John Carpenter's The Thing for, like, the umpteenth time. I think it might be my favorite horror movie. In the top five at least.
"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter tied to this %*#&@^$ couch!"

Its just that good a movie!

I'm telling you, you have to watch "Horror Express"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApLCGBRX8M

It's "The Thing" set on a train!
-Virgil
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

My local movie theater is beginning to get on my nerves. For the past two months, it's been playing a bunch of obscure movies that have gotten absolutely no media coverage, rather than showing the movies everyone is dying to see. It played Finding Nemo: 3D for two months instead of The Perks of Being a Wallflower or other largely-advertised releases.
Normally I wouldn't care, but now whenever I try to see a movie on the weekend, I pull up show times and I'm just staring at my computer like, "What is this, I don't even-"
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Beagle wrote:My local movie theater is beginning to get on my nerves. For the past two months, it's been playing a bunch of obscure movies that have gotten absolutely no media coverage, rather than showing the movies everyone is dying to see. It played Finding Nemo: 3D for two months instead of The Perks of Being a Wallflower or other largely-advertised releases.
Normally I wouldn't care, but now whenever I try to see a movie on the weekend, I pull up show times and I'm just staring at my computer like, "What is this, I don't even-"
Wait... wait... I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Where I am, it's Nemo that everyone's dying to see, and the Wallflower one that's obscure.
Radio Blue Heart

Beagle wrote:My local movie theater is beginning to get on my nerves. For the past two months, it's been playing a bunch of obscure movies that have gotten absolutely no media coverage, rather than showing the movies everyone is dying to see. It played Finding Nemo: 3D for two months instead of The Perks of Being a Wallflower or other largely-advertised releases.

I wish my local theater played more obscure, independently produced films in stead of the usual soulless, one-week-wonder junk that infests cinemas today.

If "Exit Humanity" got as much distribution and press as the Twilight films, it would have killed everything else! It was such a good movie.

The last one had a budget 366.6 times the budget of "Exit Humanity" and it was barely a fraction as good a movie!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

You know what I wish? I wish they still made movies in black and white, along with color films. I just love the shadows in old black and white movies, and I think they would make for a great gimmick if nothing else.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:You know what I wish? I wish they still made movies in black and white, along with color films. I just love the shadows in old black and white movies, and I think they would make for a great gimmick if nothing else.

A few good Black and White films from the age of color that you might like are

Ed Wood
Pi
Lost Skeleton of Cadavara
Call of Cthulhu

You might want to check those out. "Call of Cthulhu" was made in the style of a silent film, with inter-titles and everything.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Beagle wrote:. It played Finding Nemo: 3D for two months instead of The Perks of Being a Wallflower or other largely-advertised releases. "
I see no problem with this :p
So I had to rewatch Rear Window to write a paper about it. The second watching really made me realize how awesome it is. I actually like it more than psycho. I need to find some of hte more obscure Hitchcock. I've only ever seen psycho and Rear Window but they're two of my favorite older movies.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:You know what I wish? I wish they still made movies in black and white, along with color films. I just love the shadows in old black and white movies, and I think they would make for a great gimmick if nothing else.

Ed Wood
Pi
Call of Cthulhu

You might want to check those out. "Call of Cthulhu" was made in the style of a silent film, with inter-titles and everything.
Call of Cthulu is actually one of the reasons I think new Black and White films would be great. I like how it was made like how a movie from the time Lovecraft was writing would have been made.

Doctor Strangelove is another great example of a B&W movie in the age of color.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Ed Wood
Pi
Call of Cthulhu

Call of Cthulu is actually one of the reasons I think new Black and White films would be great. I like how it was made like how a movie from the time Lovecraft was writing would have been made.

Doctor Strangelove is another great example of a B&W movie in the age of color.

Well, I was thinking well after color became more the norm. But, another movie from the early 60s that you might like is "The Misfits". It was the last Hollywood production filmed in Black and White. It was also the last film for both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe, and its where the band The Misfits got their name. Its a film about people who are anachronisms.
-Virgil
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i just watched brick(2006) directed by rian johnson that movie was great and is a good brainteaser. i just love how this homage to noirs past film can be set in a contemporary high school setting. it is a must watch!
Radio Blue Heart

My copy of "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us" just arrived in the mail today! I can't wait to watch it!
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Noooooo! I missed it! Last Thursday (or maybe it was Friday) the original Frankenstein was playing in few theaters.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Well, I was thinking well after color became more the norm. But, another movie from the early 60s that you might like is "The Misfits". It was the last Hollywood production filmed in Black and White. It was also the last film for both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe, and its where the band The Misfits got their name. Its a film about people who are anachronisms.
I've never heard of it, I must find it now.
Also In Cold Blood was filmed in Black and White and it was from 1967.
Seth wrote:So I had to rewatch Rear Window to write a paper about it. The second watching really made me realize how awesome it is. I actually like it more than psycho. I need to find some of hte more obscure Hitchcock. I've only ever seen psycho and Rear Window but they're two of my favorite older movies.
I'd recommend Strangers on a Train, Vertigo, Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, and The Man Who Knew Too Much (1935).
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Punchy wrote:Noooooo! I missed it! Last Thursday (or maybe it was Friday) the original Frankenstein was playing in few theaters.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Well, I was thinking well after color became more the norm. But, another movie from the early 60s that you might like is "The Misfits". It was the last Hollywood production filmed in Black and White. It was also the last film for both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe, and its where the band The Misfits got their name. Its a film about people who are anachronisms.
I've never heard of it, I must find it now.
Also In Cold Blood was filmed in Black and White and it was from 1967.
Seth wrote:So I had to rewatch Rear Window to write a paper about it. The second watching really made me realize how awesome it is. I actually like it more than psycho. I need to find some of hte more obscure Hitchcock. I've only ever seen psycho and Rear Window but they're two of my favorite older movies.
I'd recommend Strangers on a Train, Vertigo, Spellbound, To Catch a Thief, and The Man Who Knew Too Much (1935).

If you like Hitchcock, then give Mario Bava and Dario Argento a try. I have always liked them better than Hitchcock any way.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Any particular Argento movies you'd suggest?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Any particular Argento movies you'd suggest?

By far, his masterpieces are "Suspiria" and "Deep Red". I suggest that you start their. These films are BEAUTIFUL!

If you like something more in the vein of Hitchcock, try his Animal Trilogy, "Four Flies On Grey Velvet", "Bird With The Crystal Plumage" and "Cat O' Nine Tails".

Other Argento films that I highly recommend are "Phenomena", "Inferno", "Tenebrae", "The Stendhal Syndrome" and "Opera".

I think that you, Penwrite, would definitely like "Phenomena". It is like a beautiful, dark fairy. It also stars a young Jennifer Connelly.

"Suspira" was the last film ever shot in Technicolor. Many people have said it looks like what would happen if Disney made a horror film.

Also, all these films contain graphic violence, so be warned.

If you watch these Argento movies and like him, check out movies by his acolytes Michele Soavi and Lamberto Bava.

Argento is not infallible. As much as I love his work, he was made some bad films. Avoid "Trauma", "Phantom of the Opera" "The Third Mother" and "The Card Player".

Here is some music from these films to put you in the right frame of mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUaCAIxSk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dtni-p_9w
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:

By far, his masterpieces are "Suspiria" and "Deep Red". I suggest that you start their. These films are BEAUTIFUL!

If you like something more in the vein of Hitchcock, try his Animal Trilogy, "Four Flies On Grey Velvet", "Bird With The Crystal Plumage" and "Cat O' Nine Tails".

Other Argento films that I highly recommend are "Phenomena", "Inferno", "Tenebrae", "The Stendhal Syndrome" and "Opera".

I think that you, Penwrite, would definitely like "Phenomena". It is like a beautiful, dark fairy. It also stars a young Jennifer Connelly.

"Suspira" was the last film ever shot in Technicolor. Many people have said it looks like what would happen if Disney made a horror film.

If you watch these Argento movies and like him, check out movies by his acolytes Michele Soavi and Lamberto Bava.

Argento is not infallible. As much as I love his work, he was made some bad films. Avoid "Trauma", "Phantom of the Opera" "The Third Mother" and "The Card Player".

Oh my gosh! o.o I, I've seen his version of "Phantom of the Opera"! It was so long ago, when I was a kid and stupid, and I couldn't find any info on it, I almost thought I had imagined the whole thing!

Man, that movie messed me up so much. o.o

The funny thing is, I've read the original Opera novel, and Argento's movie is actually kinda closer to it than the Weber version.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Oh my gosh! o.o I, I've seen his version of "Phantom of the Opera"! It was so long ago, when I was a kid and stupid, and I couldn't find any info on it, I almost thought I had imagined the whole thing!

Man, that movie messed me up so much. o.o

The funny thing is, I've read the original Opera novel, and Argento's movie is actually kinda closer to it than the Weber version.

Ugh. I hope that did not sour you on Argento. The man is really a brilliant director. Just check out "Suspiria" or "Phenomena", they will more than make up for the short comings of "Phantom".
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

No, actually, I remember kinda enjoying the movie. :| Like I said, it REEAALLYY messed me up, lol.

Edit: anyway, anyone who's seen Big Trouble in Little China is probably going to find this the greatest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiAbDkXDgg
Radio Blue Heart

I watched "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us" and it ROCKED! It boggles the mind that they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't release this theatrically.

The trailer for the remake of "The Evil Dead" is out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceBXUyuv4Q0

They took a splatter movie classic and have turned it into another one-week-wonder. Who needs ambition, talent, innovation and passion when you have tons of money and all the work done for you?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I watched "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us" and it ROCKED! It boggles the mind that they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't release this theatrically.

They took a splatter movie classic and have turned it into another one-week-wonder. Who needs ambition, talent, innovation and passion when you have tons of money and all the work done for you?
Considering Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell picked the director based on a low-budge movie he and his friends did with no studio backing, I have no doubt there's plenty of talent, innovation, and passion involved. What exactly do you not like about it?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I watched "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us" and it ROCKED! It boggles the mind that they changed their minds at the last minute and didn't release this theatrically.

Considering Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell picked the director based on a low-budge movie he and his friends did with no studio backing, I have no doubt there's plenty of talent, innovation, and passion involved. What exactly do you not like about it?

Just like how Alexandre Aja created an excellent, original effort and then got stuck directing horror remakes. If they were really interested in making a new and original film, they would have picked Fede Álvarez to do something original for them instead of rehashing a classic.

"If I have seen further than other men it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"
- Sir Issac Newton
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hm. All I know is what I've read, which is that Fede is doing is practically a sequel, just without Ash.

Also, I am just completely against this anti-remake bias in general. It's like telling scary stories around a campfire. If one person starts telling a familiar story, you aren't going to go "Sorry dude, I heard that story back in '87, no need to tell it again", right? I mean, literally all of storytelling is taking what others have done in the past and building on it, putting a new spin on it, updating it to reflect new ideas and new cultural fears. It's not the story you tell, it's how you tell it.

It's completely possible this new Evil Dead movie will be mediocre, even terrible, but there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting to tell an old story again, fresh.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I am now going to go watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I just don't like seeing things that I love turned into a shill. They wouldn't dream of remaking "The Godfather" or "Vertigo". But, then again, maybe those could use a huge budgeted remake. Maybe Micheal Bay or some other director that makes bank. And we will top in off with a nice sterile pg-13 rating to ensure the maximum amount of demographics.

http://faultylogic.comicgenesis.com/comics/20080126.jpg

I mean to be a jerk about this, Pen. I just don't think that art should be treated this way. And if Sam Raimi and crew really wanted to give Fede a chance they would let him do something of his own. And ghost stories can be told over and over again yes, but they don't need "and that's when the bear cavalry showed up!" to make them punchier, more updated or slicker. "Evil Dead" a ghost story committed to film, like anyone committed to paper. It can be rewatched/reread and appreciated for what it is.
Punchy wrote:I am now going to go watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness.
Good for you, Punchy! True classics never go out of style!

And I want to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcrj0_1F5dg

It looks creepy!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:I am now going to go watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness.
Well, even if the remake ends up blowing, it will raise awareness of the original films.

So moving on to other topics, has anyone else gone to see the rerelease of Halloween? I have, and it was awesome. And if you don't go to see it, you're part of the problem. You're telling the studios we have no interest in these old classics, so it's okay to keep shilling out pointless remakes and reboots and sequels and prequels and stuff! FGNBWR'PIHV'QCBF!
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Well, even if the remake ends up blowing, it will raise awareness of the original films.

So moving on to other topics, has anyone else gone to see the rerelease of Halloween? I have, and it was awesome. And if you don't go to see it, you're part of the problem. You're telling the studios we have no interest in these old classics, so it's okay to keep shilling out pointless remakes and reboots and sequels and prequels and stuff! FGNBWR'PIHV'QCBF!

I am sorry if I angered you or offended you, Penwrite. That is just way I feel.

Unfortunately, no theater in my area is carrying "Halloween" for re-release. I would love to see that on a huge screen and to hear the audience reaction. I did get a chance to see "Suspiria" in a theater with and audience. It scared the crap out of them! Some people actually bolted for the door!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's too bad, man. And actually, I was kinda making fun of how mad this remake conversation was getting me there at the end with the random letters.

:P

And yeah, it was great seeing it with an audience. :D

Edit: so, word just came out that Disney bought Lucasfilm, and has plans to release a new Star Wars film in 2015. I honestly don't know how I feel about this.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Edit: so, word just came out that Disney bought Lucasfilm, and has plans to release a new Star Wars film in 2015. I honestly don't know how I feel about this.
Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel about it either. There's some amount of hope that it will at least be some-what entertaining.
But I just don't know...
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

At least they will do something with the franchise. Lucas just sat on it and barely did anything. But to be honest, I am kind of over Star Wars. It was those prequels that did it. Everything was there but a good script. It ruined it for me. It might be like when they bought out Marvel. No significant change has taken place, but I am still waiting for the worse. The Iron Rat has claimed yet another victim!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The main reason behind the prequels failing, I think, is that by that time Lucas had gotten so big that nobody would say no to him, no matter how bad the idea seemed. It's a classic example of the creator being given TOO MUCH creative control for too long.

With Disney, I'm sure that at the very least, we won't get anything as bad as the prequels. Besides, in my opinion the Star Wars universe has been stuck in a circling pattern for too long. Nearly everything recently has been done to fill in the gaps between movies and trilogies. Maybe moving forward is exactly what Star Wars needs now.
Liam

Post by Liam »

In all fairness, Di$ney's like a kraken that catches everything it can with its tentacles, but leaves its prey some room to breath. Acquisitions include Miramax and Touchstone Pictures, makers of The Crow, Trainspotting, From Dusk Till Dawn, Hellraiser: Bloodline, Kill Bill, The Color of Money, Dead Poets Society, Enemy of the State, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? and The Prestige.

So even if you get gobbled up, sometimes the Big D leaves you enough creative leeway to create good stuff.

I don't have much faith for this particular project, however...
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Speaking of Disney underlings, I only just know heard that Pixar was producing a film about dinosaurs which is great because dinosaurs are rad and I am eight

But really I'm relieved to see them announcing an original movie because they're scaring me a bit with this sequel onslaught. Plus it's about civilized dinosaurs.
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I rather enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. = P

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other