Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Penwrite »

RootsofOrigin wrote:Just watched Chronicle.
Really great movie, although the camera point-of-view may not be for everyone. They may be working on a sequel.
Actually, the sequel has been confirmed. :D And I loved the camera point-of-view. It emphasized the personal nature of the story.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I remember that some people thought that I was going a little over board with how much I am against remakes or reboots or whatever they are re-branded as. Well, I think that it is still getting way out of hand! Especially when they are remaking a film from 2004. That is right, they are remaking "Van Helsing".

http://www.eonline.com/news/tom_cruises ... ugh/313144
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Just seeing that Cruise will be portraying Helsing is enough to put me off the movie.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just saw Prometheus, and it was great!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Really? Because the reviews don't make it sound like that.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I don't know much about it. I just know a couple of my friends were disappointed that it didn't involve Alien, from the movie 'Alien' by the same director.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Liam wrote:Really? Because the reviews don't make it sound like that.
This thread is all about personal preference. It's possible to disagree with a reviewer, believe it or not.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I don't say this often, but I don't think the reviewers quite get the movie. Prometheus is not a prequel to Alien, and is not meant to be a prequel. It is a cosmic, Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi movie asking the big, hard to answer questions. Getting answers to those questions is merely incidental.

That said, I will admit that the characters do have some stupid moments.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Dissension wrote:It's possible to disagree with a reviewer, believe it or not.
Unpossible, reviews are gospel.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
FidoFan

Post by FidoFan »

I'm looking forward for the new Silent Hill movie thats coming out some time this year. should be a good one.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Seth wrote:Went and saw dark Shadows with the family yesterday and it was awesome.
I think I may have to admit that I'm a Tim Burton fan, as much as it pains me to do so.
on a related note who else is super-excited for abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter?
All of this is yes! I saw Dark Shadows about a week before you did, but yes, it was awesome! I loved it! And I am definitely going to see Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter! :D
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Radio Blue Heart

One bad thing about "Prometheus" is that Universal has killed Guillermo del Toro's planned adaptation of "At The Mountains Of Madness" because they thought that the stories were too similar.

I'm kind of mad that they have been touting this as an "Alien" prequel and the alien monsters don't even appear in it. I feel kind of ripped off.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:One bad thing about "Prometheus" is that Universal has killed Guillermo del Toro's planned adaptation of "At The Mountains Of Madness" because they thought that the stories were too similar.

I'm kind of mad that they have been touting this as an "Alien" prequel and the alien monsters don't even appear in it. I feel kind of ripped off.
Well, you can't blame the filmmakers for that one. Ridley Scott went on record saying several times that it was not a direct prequel. Blame marketing I guess. *shrugs*
Radio Blue Heart

I just saw another really good horror film in the same style as "House Of The Devil", a throw back film set in another time period and trying to imitate the film making style of that period.

Its called "The Sleeper". Its filmed in the style of a slasher film from the late 70s. Its about a maniac making threatening phone calls to a sorority house and starts to make good on his promises. It kind of reminds me of "Black Christmas" and "Slumber Party Massacre". If you like horror films check it out.
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I just watched the Green Mile.

I've never cried so much at a movie before. I don't know what else to say. It was an amazing story, and one of those that didn't have a happy ending. Strange how the reason I wanted to watch it was because it stared Tom Hanks, and now I'm more interested in the director.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Brave is definitely one of the better Pixar movies.
Radio Blue Heart

I just scored a copy of "Monster Dog"! Yeah!

I just saw some pictures of the Lizard in the upcoming "Spider-Man" movie. He looks like one of the goombas from the Mario Brothers movie. I am starting to feel weary about it but I might still go see it.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just scored a copy of "Monster Dog"! Yeah!

I just saw some pictures of the Lizard in the upcoming "Spider-Man" movie. He looks like one of the goombas from the Mario Brothers movie. I am starting to feel weary about it but I might still go see it.
I think you mean that you feel wa- *tomatoed*

Anywho, I'm feeling pretty excited about this new Spider-Man movie, especially ever since one of the producers went on record as saying it's possible it might be allowed to connect to the Cinematic Marvel Universe, i.e., The Avengers.

Also, the Lizard had a flat face in his first appearance, so I'm actually not too bothered that he doesn't have a lizardy snout in this movie.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just scored a copy of "Monster Dog"! Yeah!

I think you mean that you feel wa- *tomatoed*

Anywho, I'm feeling pretty excited about this new Spider-Man movie, especially ever since one of the producers went on record as saying it's possible it might be allowed to connect to the Cinematic Marvel Universe, i.e., The Avengers.

Also, the Lizard had a flat face in his first appearance, so I'm actually not too bothered that he doesn't have a lizardy snout in this movie.

Its not really that he does not have a snout or a muzzle, he just does not look that threatening.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hm, I see. Well, maybe we need to see some extended scenes with him, or hear him speak.

Then again, I'm an optimist when it comes to movies.
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

44R0NM10 wrote:I just watched the Green Mile.

I've never cried so much at a movie before. I don't know what else to say. It was an amazing story, and one of those that didn't have a happy ending. Strange how the reason I wanted to watch it was because it stared Tom Hanks, and now I'm more interested in the director.
Dude, I am not one to cry at movies but I was in tears by the end of the film. Michael Clarke Duncan plays a fantastic role in it and so does the antagonist Doug Hutchinson - never before have I felt such contempt for a character within a story. I'll be checking out the director as well :)
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I checked out the Director myself, and instantly noticed how he's did an episode of the Walking Dead. Other than that, the Shawshank Redemption is meant to be incredibly good.

But yeah, more often than not I like the antagonists from movies. Hutchison's Percy was just amazing though. I never knew what he was trying to do, and even when bad things happened to him I never felt any mercy for him.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Last night I watched the 1968 black-and-white Japanese horror film Kuroneko last night. It was a ghost story, about two murdered women coming back to kill samurai, for having been raped and murdered by them. It was really good, I think, with some great use of black and white to create a mood. You could consider it the grandfather of such films as Ju-on and Ringu.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Last night I watched the 1968 black-and-white Japanese horror film Kuroneko last night. It was a ghost story, about two murdered women coming back to kill samurai, for having been raped and murdered by them. It was really good, I think, with some great use of black and white to create a mood. You could consider it the grandfather of such films as Ju-on and Ringu.

Good for you! You know how to appreciate a good film no matter what era it comes from!

I know this sounds odd but it is becoming a rare thing these days. I had a movie night with some friends and the some of their other friends. When I suggested a movie one of them looked me square it the eye and said: "OMG! Is that, like, an old movie?!"

Ugh...

But that sounds like a good one, I will have to track it down. Was it dubbed or subtitled?

Try finding a Japanese haunted house film from 1977 called "House". It is out there!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Last night I watched the 1968 black-and-white Japanese horror film Kuroneko last night. It was a ghost story, about two murdered women coming back to kill samurai, for having been raped and murdered by them. It was really good, I think, with some great use of black and white to create a mood. You could consider it the grandfather of such films as Ju-on and Ringu.

Good for you! You know how to appreciate a good film no matter what era it comes from!

I know this sounds odd but it is becoming a rare thing these days. I had a movie night with some friends and the some of their other friends. When I suggested a movie one of them looked me square it the eye and said: "OMG! Is that, like, an old movie?!"

Ugh...

But that sounds like a good one, I will have to track it down. Was it dubbed or subtitled?

Try finding a Japanese haunted house film from 1977 called "House". It is out there!
Wow...all the great movies they're missing out on...

The version I watched, the Blu-ray Criterion Collection version, was subtitled. Really added to it.

Tonight, I watch "Visiting Hours"! It's a horror movie set in a hospital and will be leaving Netflix at the end of this month, so I figured I should go ahead and get it watched while I can.
Radio Blue Heart

I just found myself a copy of "Pumpkinhead"! Awesome monster movie!

"Bolted doors and windows barred,
Guard dogs prowling in the yard,
Won't protect you in your bed,
Nothing will, from Pumpkinhead!"
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

So I just watched Rio and...

it was better than I expected it to be. I can say that I would recommend you watch it if you haven't.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Radio Blue Heart

I just saw the trailer for "Dredd". I hope it is better than the Stalone version.

My copy of "Monster Dog" turned out to be a VHS rip bootleg. I am very disappointed with Amazon right now.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just saw the trailer for "Dredd". I hope it is better than the Stalone version.

My copy of "Monster Dog" turned out to be a VHS rip bootleg. I am very disappointed with Amazon right now.
I've read a couple of reviews of Dredd from when they showed it at Comic-Con, and it sounds like it's incredible. Just great violent, explosive fun.

Post by 0404 »

kids these days don't know homealone. :o :o :o
Radio Blue Heart

texascat018 wrote:kids these days don't know homealone. :o :o :o
I know it, but it has not held up well for me.
-Virgil
Cm4F

Post by Cm4F »

FidoFan wrote:I'm looking forward for the new Silent Hill movie thats coming out some time this year. should be a good one.
DOOD YESS!!! ME TOOO!!

I'm kinda nervous about them remaking Total Recall. I'm not really sure if I want to see it yet, because the original make was spectacular and I don't want this one to ruin it. Does anyone else agree with me on this?
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

texascat018 wrote:kids these days don't know homealone. :o :o :o
Whaaaaaaa? They've never tried to recreate this stuff in their own homes? They have not lived!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I just finished watching The Secret of Kells. That movie is amazing!
Radio Blue Heart

Talk at the animation thread and a bit in the Anthology got me to thinking.

Has anyone even experience the joy and awesomeness of "The Toxic Avenger"?!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Talk at the animation thread and a bit in the Anthology got me to thinking.

I saw the last half of it on TV once. Semmed pretty cool but I haven't found a copy of it yet so I can properly judge it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Talk at the animation thread and a bit in the Anthology got me to thinking.

I saw the last half of it on TV once. Semmed pretty cool but I haven't found a copy of it yet so I can properly judge it.

GO for the Director's Cut. It is unrated and super gory! And to believe its a super hero movie!

Speaking of which I have a open question for everyone, what is your favorite comic adaptation films?
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Avengers, full stop. Though naming that movie's probably cheating, so I'll go with either the first Iron Man movie, or Captain America: the First Avenger.

On another note, I watched It! The Terror from Beyond Space! last night, and it was quite enjoyable. If you like the Alien film series, I think you'll like this film.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:The Avengers, full stop. Though naming that movie's probably cheating, so I'll go with either the first Iron Man movie, or Captain America: the First Avenger.

On another note, I watched It! The Terror from Beyond Space! last night, and it was quite enjoyable. If you like the Alien film series, I think you'll like this film.

Funny that you should mention that movie! The producers sued the makers of "Alien" for plagiarism!

But my favorites in no particular order are:

Hellboy
Hellboy 2: the Golden Army
30 Days Of Night
The Crow
Dellamorte Dellamore
Immortal
Hardware
Watchmen
Heavy Metal
V For Vendetta
Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote: Speaking of which I have a open question for everyone, what is your favorite comic adaptation films?
Howard the Duck. Instant classic.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz