Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Sleet »

I'm fairly excited for the Avengers movie, and I don't even read comic books. I thought most of the movies that led up to it were good!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Over at the Ursa Major thread it was mentioned that there were not very many good films whatsoever during 2011, let alone anthro films. But What are your favorite films of 2011 in review?

Mine are:
The Dead
Stake Land
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hmm, tough question. Not sure what my fave overall movie is, but my fave animated movie at least was definitely Rango.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Over at the Ursa Major thread it was mentioned that there were not very many good films whatsoever during 2011, let alone anthro films. But What are your favorite films of 2011 in review?

Mine are:
The Dead
Stake Land
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Troll hunter
no contest
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Over at the Ursa Major thread it was mentioned that there were not very many good films whatsoever during 2011, let alone anthro films. But What are your favorite films of 2011 in review?

Mine are:
The Dead
Stake Land
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Troll hunter
no contest
That movie freaked me out.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:

Mine are:
The Dead
Stake Land
Troll Hunter
Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Troll hunter
no contest
That movie freaked me out.
Really?
I thought it was hilarious
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

"Troll Hunter" was good and it was funny, but those special effects took me by surprise. They were awesome, especially through the subjective camera approach.
-Virgil
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

- Network: see the best scene fo the movie here

- Zeitgeist The Movie: See the movie introduction here

- Zeitgeist Addendum: See the movie introduction here

- Zeitgeist Moving Forward: See the movie introduction here

I post the rest when I remenber. =/
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Radio Blue Heart

Mctwisp wrote:- Network: see the best scene fo the movie here

I have only seen the first Zeitgiest. The second and third parts were chilling but nothing that I did not learn about from Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky. The first part has some major flaws. It is called the Southern Cross because it can only be seen in the Southern Hemisphere. It was way too "Da Vinci Code" for me.
-Virgil
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:

I have only seen the first Zeitgiest. The second and third parts were chilling but nothing that I did not learn about from Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky. The first part has some major flaws. It is called the Southern Cross because it can only be seen in the Southern Hemisphere. It was way too "Da Vinci Code" for me.
Well, the first part is only important because it show how a myth can manipulate people so easly, like it showed in the second part of the first movie.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Radio Blue Heart

Mctwisp wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

Well, the first part is only important because it show how a myth can manipulate people so easly, like it showed in the second part of the first movie.
Even then it is a weak argument to anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject and that could have potentially derailed the rest of his arguments in the film. I don't watch something because its "music to my ears". That is how you let yourself be lied to by buying into a narrative.
-Virgil
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Even then it is a weak argument to anyone with the slightest bit of knowledge on the subject and that could have potentially derailed the rest of his arguments in the film. I don't watch something because its "music to my ears". That is how you let yourself be lied to by buying into a narrative.
It's the same about the original story about september 11. Who say this is the true story? Where's the prove? No one showed any real proves. The original story is so much confused than what the movie told. The story in the movie have cientists, engineers, researchers who wanted the truth. What's wrong with seeking the truth? I don't want a discussion, I only wanted to show a alternative story to have a conclusion about what's the real truth.

But it's only in the first movie. the two and three have other themes really good. Totaly off about September 11. They talk about to change the system what we live, to a another one called Resource Based Economy. It's about to save our finite natural resources and share it with all human beings, getting rid of poverty, social segregation and dependency on the money. I think it's cool. Because I want to do a interchange to a college but is so expensive. Why I have to pay knowledge?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'm going to step in here and say that this debate would probably be better suited off the forums because of its connections to politics and other controversial this-and-that.
Image Image
Radio Blue Heart

CaptainPea wrote:I'm going to step in here and say that this debate would probably be better suited off the forums because of its connections to politics and other controversial this-and-that.
In my defense I was discussing what I saw as flawed filmmaking and a flawed intellectual argument. But I agree, this not the proper place for such things as politics.

Another good documentary that I think everyone here can enjoy, "Grizzly Man" directed by Werner Herzog. Herzog is mostly known for his fictional works like "Fitzcaraldo" and "Aguirre, The Wrath of God". "Grizzly Man" is about the life Timothy Treadwell, a man who devoted his life to studying grizzly bears until his death by one. It is an all too human drama. It goes from humorous with Treadwell playing with a couple of wild red foxes to him raging about how the world does not care about conservation.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Troll Hunter" was good and it was funny, but those special effects took me by surprise. They were awesome, especially through the subjective camera approach.
Really?
I thought they were incredibly cheesy
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Troll Hunter" was good and it was funny, but those special effects took me by surprise. They were awesome, especially through the subjective camera approach.
Really?
I thought they were incredibly cheesy

It had a few tense moments for me. Overall, it worked for me on a lot of levels.
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Wow...just wow. The actual live action Batman movies are pretty good at making Batman choose his ethics. I thought they were the best, but no, this animated movie is much better. The scenes are cool, all the characters are likable (Joker isn't brilliant, but you get used to him), and it makes a lot of questions. I would highly suggest the movie to a lot of Batman fans. People who aren;t that interesting in Batman, see it anyway. You probably won't like it as much (Black Mask and Nightwing aren't really well know after all).
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Under the Red Hood was AWESOME. I've never been a huge Batman fan (nor a huge comic book superhero fan, in general), but that movie was just incredible on all fronts. The animation was great, the dialogue was powerful and meaningful, and like you said, it was very thought-provoking and really outlined the Joker and Batman's relationship quite well.

Definitely a must-see for actual fans. :)
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Radio Blue Heart

I was a little weary at first of John DiMaggion (Bender, Jake the Dog) playing The Joker, but he did a really good job with the character.

"Under the Red Hood" was so good it could easily stand next to "The Dark Knight" as one of the best Batman adaptation ever put to film.

"I'm gonna need... Something to wear. And a truck. And some guys. But not these guys, they're kind of dead."
-Virgil
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I am a big fan of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. So you can imagine my exitement for the release of "The Hobbit" this December :mrgreen:
never mind, I take that back... you could NEVER be able to imagine my exitement for The Hobbit, I'm just too exited.
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Radio Blue Heart

I found INFRAMAN! D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWsiVXwqZIA

Good old fashioned rubber suit monster mayhem!

This is the English dub. There is a Spanish subtitled version but the subs are jokes. I know just enough Spanish to get them.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I just watched natural born killers last night
the first half didn't really capture my attention but the second half is some great stuff!!!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:I just watched natural born killers last night
the first half didn't really capture my attention but the second half is some great stuff!!!
Congratulations! That movie is a classic! Definitely watch it with Oliver Stone's commentary. There are so many layers of symbolism going on that it requires repeat viewings.

I especially like the interview scene between Mickey (Woody Harrelson) and Wayne Gale (Robert Downey).

On the subject of our unofficial film club, have you had the opportunity to see "Suspiria" yet?
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:I just watched natural born killers last night
Congratulations! That movie is a classic! Definitely watch it with Oliver Stone's commentary. There are so many layers of symbolism going on that it requires repeat viewings.

I especially like the interview scene between Mickey (Woody Harrelson) and Wayne Gale (Robert Downey).

On the subject of our unofficial film club, have you had the opportunity to see "Suspiria" yet?

I haven't. I haven't bought movies in a while,I'm trying to get through the to watch list I currently have sitting by my T.V.

That interview scene gave me goosebumps, it was just so good. That's the point of the movie where it really started to capture my attention and hold it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Enjoying another blast from the past! Two movies that seemed to be on TV all the time as a kid! I found them on DVD at the same store. "Monster Squad" and "Ghidrah, the Three Headed Monster"!
-Virgil
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

I watched "Surfs Up" for the first time on TV a few days ago.
I thought it was a really well-done and creative movie :)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
Radio Blue Heart

TheMobian wrote:I watched "Surfs Up" for the first time on TV a few days ago.
I thought it was a really well-done and creative movie :)
That it was, but it was in the shadow of "Happy Feet" so it did not get nearly as much credit as it should have. I loved the mockumentary approach to it.

While I am praising family films, I have to say that I am watching "King of New York". :lol:
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Okay, so I finally got round to watching Terminator 2: Judgement day.

All I can say is Wow. The movie was far more then just an action, and really brought a tear to my eye in the ending. All the actors were incredible, the battle scenes were amazing, the characters were all awesome (even the 'emotionless' Terminator) and the themes of the story really fit in well. Really is James Cameron at his finest.
Radio Blue Heart

I saw an extended version of Clive Barker's "Night Breed". It was amazing! Even if you do not like horror films, you will like this one. The monsters have more humanity than the humans and the humans are far more monstrous than the monsters could ever be.

"Why? You're just going to wipe them out because they are different?"

"Being different is reason enough!"

"You call us monsters because we can fly, or change into a wolf, or vanish in a puff of smoke? In your dreams you can fly of turn into a wolf. You envy us, and that is why you are compelled to destroy us!"
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

44R0NM10 wrote:Okay, so I finally got round to watching Terminator 2: Judgement day.

All I can say is Wow. The movie was far more then just an action, and really brought a tear to my eye in the ending. All the actors were incredible, the battle scenes were amazing, the characters were all awesome (even the 'emotionless' Terminator) and the themes of the story really fit in well. Really is James Cameron at his finest.
Not sure I'm quite as in love with it as you but I gotta say Terminator two is one of my favorite movies.

Finally picked up a copy of Desperado. Coolest. Movie. Ever
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

More awesome DVD finds on the cheap! I got "Blood Feast", "Krull" and the ultimate edition of "Dawn of the Dead". It has all three cuts of the film!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:More awesome DVD finds on the cheap! I got "Blood Feast", "Krull" and the ultimate edition of "Dawn of the Dead". It has all three cuts of the film!
Krull, booyah! That's an awesome movie!
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:More awesome DVD finds on the cheap! I got "Blood Feast", "Krull" and the ultimate edition of "Dawn of the Dead". It has all three cuts of the film!
Krull, booyah! That's an awesome movie!
That it is! Its awesome! Too bad it flopped when it was first released.

They also had "The Dark Crystal".
-Virgil
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

BAD TEACHER*hoping hes not getting kicked off*
McFly

Post by McFly »

A certain pirate movie that's coming out reminded me of Chicken Run and how much I used to love watching it. :)
I hope to see it again soon.
Radio Blue Heart

I want to see "Elite Squad". I saw "City of God" and was very impressed by it. I think my favorite Brazilian films would have to be Coffin Joe/Zé do Caixão film series by José Mojica Marins.
-Virgil
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I want to see "Elite Squad". I saw "City of God" and was very impressed by it. I think my favorite Brazilian films would have to be Coffin Joe/Zé do Caixão film series by José Mojica Marins.
Well, if you want to see you can watch Elite Squad in Youtube, he's in full movie there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFgDzdgfBk

But he don't have english subtitle. So, you can download the movie from the Youtube, then you download this english subtitle: http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... e-elite-en

P.s: To download the subtitle, press the phrase Tropa de Elite 1CD (2007) English srt subtitles. It will show a download page with a winrar arquive.

I hope I helped you. =)
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

If someone want to see a scene of the movie Elite Squad, take a look on this. It's one of the best scenes:

Elite Squad - The Seed of Evil

Warning: They have a lot of bad language.
Radio Blue Heart

I found it!

This movie has to be seen to be believed!

A*P*E*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQQJ1zCc_I

A 1976 American-South Korean production that ripped off King Kong and one of the worst films ever made! Even then it is always entertaining through its ineptness and craziness!!!!
-Virgil