Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Even then, terms like "horror", "science fiction" and "fantasy" are still dirty words in mainstream Hollywood. They white-wash it with terms like "elevated genre".
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Even then, terms like "horror", "science fiction" and "fantasy" are still dirty words in mainstream Hollywood. They white-wash it with terms like "elevated genre".
Really, you think so? I kind of figured the term "fantasy" became acceptable after the massive success of the Lord of the Ring series.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Even then, terms like "horror", "science fiction" and "fantasy" are still dirty words in mainstream Hollywood. They white-wash it with terms like "elevated genre".
Really, you think so? I kind of figured the term "fantasy" became acceptable after the massive success of the Lord of the Ring series.

There are just some filmmakers that freak out at those terms. Like William Friedkin, he gets mad when people say "The Exorcist" is a horror film. He insists that it is a "Supernatural Detective Story". Its just an old Hollywood mindset. Unless it was a musical, a courtroom drama or a historical epic, it was frowned upon no matter how good it was.

Also, why I am at it I do not know if I have mentioned this movie:

"Exit Humanity" starring Dee Wallace and Bill Moseley. It is about a zombie outbreak in the aftermath of the American Civil War! Think "Day of the Dead" meets "The Outlaw Josey Wales". It is awesome, ambitious low budget horror at its best!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:

There are just some filmmakers that freak out at those terms. Like William Friedkin, he gets mad when people say "The Exorcist" is a horror film. He insists that it is a "Supernatural Detective Story". Its just an old Hollywood mindset. Unless it was a musical, a courtroom drama or a historical epic, it was frowned upon no matter how good it was.

Also, why I am at it I do not know if I have mentioned this movie:

"Exit Humanity" starring Dee Wallace and Bill Moseley. It is about a zombie outbreak in the aftermath of the American Civil War! Think "Day of the Dead" meets "The Outlaw Josey Wales". It is awesome, ambitious low budget horror at its best!
Man, that really sucks. And that's just silly about "The Exorcist". If the main point is to frighten, it's a horror movie.

Also, I'll have to check that movie out. Thanks for the recommend!
Radio Blue Heart

You won't be disappointed. Here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DExlXcU20U

Its probably the best horror film of 2012 (in my humble opinion, that is).

Also, they have finally released the trailer for the re-make of "Red Dawn"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqlBHSePw0

Thor and the winner of the Hunger Games vs the Korean People's Army. For those who don't know the story, the film is an update of the film from 1984 about a Soviet-Cuban invasion of the US. This version was going to be about the People's Republic of China invading the United States. But, the PRC's government took issue with this and threatened to ban all films made by MGM studios. So, since 2009, MGM has reedited the film and digitally changed all flags, uniforms and insignias in the film from China's People's Liberation Army to North Korea's Korean People's Army, as North Korea is the invading force now.

I realize that China is a very important film market, but maybe they should have give the PRC the reedited version and used the original cut elsewhere. It seems a little absurd to me that 23 million North Koreans could conquer 350 million Americans.

Or just take the route of the Australian film "Tomorrow, When The War Began" and make the enemy nation completely fictional. But, even then it was accused of being paranoid and racist.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, the trailer mentions some kind of new weapon that shut down all the U.S.'s advanced weapons... but on the other hand, there's no way a country like North Korea could ever develop a weapon like that, so your complaint still stands.

Looks like the movie will provide some good action at least. And it'll be interesting seeing Tom Cruise's son on the screen.
Radio Blue Heart

I found out about another British horror/comedy in the spirit of "Shaun Of The Dead". It is called "Cockneys Vs. Zombies". East Enders fighting against hordes of cannibalistic reanimated corpses!

Warning language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hap9XRg6o

It looks cool. Funny and has decent gore.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I found out about another British horror/comedy in the spirit of "Shaun Of The Dead". It is called "Cockneys Vs. Zombies". East Enders fighting against hordes of cannibalistic reanimated corpses!

Warning language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hap9XRg6o

It looks cool. Funny and has decent gore.
As a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, I fully support more in this unique zombie subgenre.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

You two should check out Boy Eats girl. It's a fun and quirky scottish zombie movie.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

And Cuba has produced its first horror film, "Juan Of The Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOquktXvkT4
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:And Cuba has produced its first horror film, "Juan Of The Dead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOquktXvkT4
I have read an incredible amount of good stuff about that movie. Will definitely pick it up if I ever come across it.

Speaking of, today I got the special Jaws blu-ray/DVD/digital copy combo pack Universal released for its 100th anniversary. There's an impressive number of documentaries and such here, and the picture and sound are exquisite.
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

my favourite movies(not in particular order)are:
1.Pulp fiction
2.The Warrior
3.Kick bubblegum
4.Crazy,Stupid,Love
5.A Clockworks Orange
6.Moonrise Kingdom
7.Silence of The Lambs
8.Strangers on a Train
9.The Shining
10.2001:A Space Odyssey
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

And I just finished watching Jaws for the first time in... I don't know, well before I started college, and I finished college this past May. You go so long without seeing a movie, you forget how great it really is.
Radio Blue Heart

Last night I saw "The Dark Night Rises"! It ROCKED! I actually think that I like it more than "The Dark Night". It is definitely worth repeat watches!

Also, BANE is an awesome villain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5_T9ImhYKQ
-Virgil
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

Totally agreed with you is a great ending for the trilogy
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Eh, yeah, it was a really good movie, but I wouldn't call it better than The Dark Knight. There were some plot holes I couldn't ignore, and it annoys me that the movie could have been done completely without The Dark Knight.

But yeah, Bane was awesome.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Luvindonesia wrote:Strangers on a Train
You should see Throw Mama From A Train, it's a great one.
Also, if you're a fan of Alfred Hitchcock movies, check out Vertigo, I think its his best.
Or watch some Orson Welles movies, like Touch of Evil or The Third Man, classics.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:
Luvindonesia wrote:Strangers on a Train
You should see Throw Mama From A Train, it's a great one.
Also, if you're a fan of Alfred Hitchcock movies, check out Vertigo, I think its his best.
Or watch some Orson Welles movies, like Touch of Evil or The Third Man, classics.
Funny you should mention Vertigo. Just a couple of weeks ago, a survey of over 800 critics found that movie to be the generally agreed upon best movie ever, replacing Citizen Kane.

Edit: Just got back from seeing Paranorman. If you love stop-motion animation, zombies, or 80s movies like The Goonies and The Monster Squad, you have to see this movie.
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

Have any of you guys watch expendables 2 yet? It was way better than the first one. although the story was kinda predictable but its nice to see arnold schwazerneger and chuck norris back on the big screen again!

And dont watch the total recall remake cause it sucks!

Mod Edit: Please do not double post. If you need to add new information to a thread and yours is the most recent post, you may use the edit button in its upper-right corner.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Funny you should mention Vertigo. Just a couple of weeks ago, a survey of over 800 critics found that movie to be the generally agreed upon best movie ever, replacing Citizen Kane.
That's the reason why I watched it actually, saw it twice. I was surprised by it really, I thought if any Hitchcock movie were to get it, it would've been North By Northwest. Also Citizen Kane held that spot for 40(?) years!
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

JUst saw Animal house last night for the first time ever. I wish I could pledge at Delta house :cry:
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Just watched "Best Worst Movie" last night! Its a documentary about the making of the film "Troll 2" and the cult following that it has established. At many times it is funny, and poignant at other.

And if you have not seen the movie "Troll 2", I definitely suggest watching it. It is an awesome movie for all the wrong reasons. Its just hilarious!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Avengers is coming back to theaters from August 31st to September 6th!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I just recently watched a movie called Dudes, it was directed by the same person who did The Decline of Western Civilization and Wayne's World.
Its about three punks getting in some trouble in a small town on their way from New York to L.A.
Flea, the bassist for Red Hot Chili Peppers, is in it.
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I think I finally found the worst movie ever. If you ever need a good z-movie pick up a copy of house of the dead directed by Uwe Boll.
Best 7$ I ever spent
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:So I think I finally found the worst movie ever. If you ever need a good z-movie pick up a copy of house of the dead directed by Uwe Boll.
Best 7$ I ever spent
Did you get the original version where it's supposed to be a horror movie, or the second version where Boll tried to pass it off as a comedy?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:
Seth wrote:So I think I finally found the worst movie ever. If you ever need a good z-movie pick up a copy of house of the dead directed by Uwe Boll.
Best 7$ I ever spent
Did you get the original version where it's supposed to be a horror movie, or the second version where Boll tried to pass it off as a comedy?
The original.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:
Penwrite wrote:
Best 7$ I ever spent
The original.
Ah, Yeah, I saw that years back, when it was first released. The kind of terrible movie that only Uwe Boll could create.

In other news, Troma has recently released 150 of their movies onto their YouTube channel for free. Now THAT is loving the realm of film!
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

i just heard from RT news that michael fassbender will be producing and starring in a video game adaptation of assasins creed and also that the long in developement metal gear solid movie will continue to be made and will be produced by avi arad(he's the guy who produced spiderman and x-men films)
i think that making a metal gear solid movie will be pointless because the game itself was already like a movie.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote: In other news, Troma has recently released 150 of their movies onto their YouTube channel for free. Now THAT is loving the realm of film!
That is the best news I have heard all day!

Two days after I got my copy of "Class of Nuke 'Em High 2" in the mail...
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Luvindonesia wrote:i just heard from RT news that michael fassbender will be producing and starring in a video game adaptation of assasins creed and also that the long in developement metal gear solid movie will continue to be made and will be produced by avi arad(he's the guy who produced spiderman and x-men films)
i think that making a metal gear solid movie will be pointless because the game itself was already like a movie.
I'm not that big a fan of the Assassin's Creed games (couldn't get into the controls), but I am a HUGE fan of Michael Fassbender, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Edit: And on an unrelated note, I'm so excited. Just one month until my favorite month of the year. October, meaning horror movies! :D Horror movies are my favorites!
Radio Blue Heart

I scored a copy of "Six String Samurai"! Awesome!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This just in, John Carpenter's Halloween to be rereleased into theaters this October! More details as they come!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Finally watched resevoir dogs last night and it was fantastic. I'm amazed by Tarantino's ability to tell stories in a non-linear fashion.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm getting ready to watch The Dark Knight Rises.
I'm in the movie theatre right now. Hope it's good.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

my favorite movies that i can remember off the top of my head are Tank Girl, Inception, The Dark Knight, all miyazaki films, Serenity, The Island, Star Wars, and Lord Of the Rings
^^^^^^^^
Absolute most favorite movie series of all time!! :D
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Finally watched resevoir dogs last night and it was fantastic. I'm amazed by Tarantino's ability to tell stories in a non-linear fashion.

Its simple. He takes an established story and then applies cut up method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgbSAL8OKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM7MyIeDkww
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:This doesn't look too bad. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TvtJIb ... r_embedded

Looks more like they just threw Leatherface into the plot of "The Unseen".

I am still waiting to see "John Dies At The End" if it gets a wide release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ot7kFjUcrs

From Don Coscarelli, who directed two of my all time movies, "Phantasm" and "Bubba Ho-Tep".
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:This doesn't look too bad. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75TvtJIb ... r_embedded

Looks more like they just threw Leatherface into the plot of "The Unseen".

I am still waiting to see "John Dies At The End" if it gets a wide release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ot7kFjUcrs

From Don Coscarelli, who directed two of my all time movies, "Phantasm" and "Bubba Ho-Tep".
I really want to see the Phantasm movies. But for some reason all they have is Phantasm 2 on Netflix, and not the first one. I don't get that.