Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Now this is just a rumor that I heard, but a Japanese animation company is planning to do animes based on the films Halloween, Escape From New York and Suspiria.

I don't know if these will ever be made but they would be awesome in animated form.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Is suspiria any good?
I keep hearing really good things but I've never had a chance to watch it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Is suspiria any good?
I keep hearing really good things but I've never had a chance to watch it.

I cannot begin to praise "Suspiria" enough! This film is stunning! I would say that it is easily one of the top ten horror films, or films of any genre, that have ever come out of Italy. It was the last film ever shot in techincolor. One critic remarked that "Suspiria" is what would happen if Disney ever made a horror film. It is beautiful, hallucinatory and terrifying! Wait for a night when you can watch it alone and in the dark. It never fails to impress.

The plot concerns an American girl who travels to attend a ballet academy in Germany. What she and the other students don't know is the school is also home to a coven of witches who are more than willing to do-away with anyone who crosses them or gets to close to discovering them.

It was written, photographed and directed by Dario Argento. Often referred to as "The Italian Alfred Hitchcock".
There are no good trailers for it. But give the main title, composed and performed by Italian Progressive Rock band Goblin, a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUaCAIxSk4

I saw this in a full theater once on Halloween. During beginning of a death scene, some people started laughing and some guys yell stuff at the screen. But as it progressed and got more brutal, it shut everyone up. A few people couldn't handle it and bolted for the door!

This film and other Italain "Giallo" films had a big influence on horror films all over the world. From John Carpenter's "Halloween" to Satoshi Kon's "Perfect Blue".
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Hopefully I can scare up a copy somewhere
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Hopefully I can scare up a copy somewhere

If you want it on DVD, its been put out on special edition DVDs from Anchor Bay and Blue Underground. They are worth it because both companies give a massive amount of extras. The Blue Underground disc is still in print so it will be the cheapest.

--------------------------------

This is for a specific themed movies. Since I had a run on werewolf themed music over at the music thread, here are my all time favorite werewolf movies! In no particular order:

Dog Soldiers (2003)
The Howling (1981)
An American Werewolf In London (1981)
Project: Metalbeast (1995)
Monster Dog (1984)
Bad Moon (1996)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
The Company of Wolves (1984)

Avoid the sequels to "The Howling" like the plague. "Howling III: The Marsupials" is a novelty though. It has werewolves and were-thylacines. It tries to be more of a comedy but never quite makes it.

The sequels to "Ginger Snaps" are not as good as the original but they are still very worthy sequels.

"Monster Dog" was written and directed by Claudio Fragasso, who under the pseudonym "Drake Floyd" directed the now notorious "Troll 2". "Monster Dog" is no work of genius but it does entertain and has a genuinely creepy atmosphere and some good scares.

It also stars none other than shock rocker Alice Cooper, basically playing himself as the character Vincent Raven. Raven is a rock star who returns to his family mansion to film a music video and he is the inheritor of a werewolf curse. The film has two original Alice Cooper songs that were not released until his "Life and Crimes" box set.

Mod Edit: Please refrain from double-posting. Instead, edit your most recent post to add new information. Thanks!
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Ok, has anybody here heard of the movie Attack the Block?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

heard of it through the internet and a thing with ponies, but I haven't seen it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

It's one of the best movies I've seen in awhile, and strongly suggest people to see it. It's kinda a comedy horror, I guess, though I found it to be more of a horror.
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched a movie that I think everyone should see. It is a documentary called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" written and directed by Kirby Dick.

This film is about the MPAA, their rating practices, and the shadowy, secretive nature of the board itself.

Such as how it is run by six of the largest film corporations in America like Disney and Viacom, that together control 90% of all film production in the US. How studio produced films get more desirable ratings while independents get hammered. It is a scathing expose on the double standards and savage hypocrisies that they engage in to censor art.

I watched it on youtube, and I am still seething that these people get to tell me what I can and cannot see, even with a parent or guardian present.
-Virgil
mona88

Post by mona88 »

Well, my all time favorite movie is "Titanic".
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Such as how it is run by six of the largest film corporations in America like Disney and Viacom, that together control 90% of all film production in the US. How studio produced films get more desirable ratings while independents get hammered. It is a scathing expose on the double standards and savage hypocrisies that they engage in to censor art.
As someone with a communications degree, I find the conspiracy carp highly dubious.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

Favorite movies...hmm...it'd be a long list if I covered all of them, so I'll stick to listing only ten.

All time favorite: The Lion King. (Great music, amazing art design and an incredible story, what's not to love?)

-A few others from my favorites list-
How to Train your Dragon. (Toothless...need I say more?)
Bolt. (It's just a great story.)
The Incredibles. (Superhero family...? Yes please.)
Star Trek[2009]. (Best reboot I've ever seen.)
iRobot. (I'm a massive Asimov fan.)
Book of Eli. (Just watch it, you'll understand.)
The Illusionist. (There is an answer to everything.)
October Sky. (Inspirational, well told and most important of all, a true story.)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. (Marvin...do I really need any more reason than that?)

And I'll also add this. If you've never seen The Illusionist, you should really, really go find and watch it, same goes for October Sky.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I just watched a movie that I think everyone should see. It is a documentary called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" written and directed by Kirby ****.

This film is about the MPAA, their rating practices, and the shadowy, secretive nature of the board itself.

Such as how it is run by six of the largest film corporations in America like Disney and Viacom, that together control 90% of all film production in the US. How studio produced films get more desirable ratings while independents get hammered. It is a scathing expose on the double standards and savage hypocrisies that they engage in to censor art.

I watched it on youtube, and I am still seething that these people get to tell me what I can and cannot see, even with a parent or guardian present.
Though I'm sure that there is some back room dealing and such in regards to movie ratings that sounds an awful lot like fear mongering to me.

I don't own any Quentin tarantino movies
this distresses me and must be remedied
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd only call it fear mongering if this were a community of aspiring directors. beyond that, that's not all that scary.
still sounds like paranoia though.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Did you know I liked Back to the Future
I'm sure I've never mentioned it nope not once never ever

Well anyways Marty McFly dies twice in the films and I can prove it
*accepts Nobel Prize*
Image Image
Radio Blue Heart

For some far less serious documentaries I would like to suggest "Not Quite Hollywood" and "Best Worst Movie". You probably would never believe documentaries could be this funny!

"Not Quite Hollywood" is about the history of the Australia film industry, particularly comedies, horror films and action movies. After watching it, it gave me a laundry list of movies that I must see. It goes over some of my favorite Australian films like "Razorback" and "The Long Weekend".

"Best Worst Movie" is about the filming of the movie "Troll 2" and its subsequent cult following. It has everything from cast interviews to that infamous youtube meme. It is kind of hard to watch Claudio Fragasso have something he worked on being torn to pieces. He has made good movies before and since.

There is a sequel of sorts to "Not Quite Hollywood" from the same filmmakers called "Machete Maidens Unleashed" about the Filipino film industry, both domestic production and the foreign filmmakers that shot films in the Philippines.

I have just watched a film simply called "The Dead". It is a British zombie movie filmed in Burkina Faso. It is about a zombie plague that is sweeping across Africa and how an American engineer and a Burkinabé soldier trying to get to back to their families. Its a really good film that will scare you and make you think. It has commentary about human kindness, survival, the abuse of the 3rd world and AIDS. Everything about this movie clicks.
-Virgil
Tomahawk Dingo

Post by Tomahawk Dingo »

Transformers
Tron Legacy
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
X-Men: First Class
Real Steel
Iron Man
Madagascar
Brother Bear
Kung Fu Hustle
Arashi No Yoru Ni (One Stormy Night)
Summer Wars
Sucker Punch

and a lot more...
Radio Blue Heart

This is probably for more general movie discussion, maybe I will start a new thread for that, but does anyone here like horror films or monster movies? Care to share your faves?
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Supergator. Sci-Fi monster madness at its best. XD
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:This is probably for more general movie discussion, maybe I will start a new thread for that, but does anyone here like horror films or monster movies? Care to share your faves?
Return of the living dead
all of George A. Romero's movies
the blair witch project
hellraiser
and the original Amittyville horror
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
McFly

Post by McFly »

KJOokami wrote:Supergator. Sci-Fi monster madness at its best. XD
^ This.

Other faves:
Titanic
Fast Five
Bolt
Madea Goes To Jail
And every Disney movie before 2000 :lol:
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:This is probably for more general movie discussion, maybe I will start a new thread for that, but does anyone here like horror films or monster movies? Care to share your faves?
Return of the living dead
all of George A. Romero's movies
the blair witch project
hellraiser
and the original Amittyville horror

Excellent choices! I love Romero's movies. He basically invented the zombie genre. Death to remakes.

"Return of the Living Dead" is one of the movies that combines horror and comedy, and succeeds in both genres.
KJOokami wrote:Supergator. Sci-Fi monster madness at its best. XD
If you like bad giant monster movies done right, try "A*P*E", "Queen Kong", "Mighty Peking Man" and "War of the Gargantuas".
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:If you like bad giant monster movies done right, try "A*P*E", "Queen Kong", "Mighty Peking Man" and "War of the Gargantuas".
Huh, I'm surprised I've never heard of any of those. Hilariously bad Sci-Fi creature flicks used to be the bread and butter of my television experience. O__o I'll have to check those out.
Radio Blue Heart

KJOokami wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:If you like bad giant monster movies done right, try "A*P*E", "Queen Kong", "Mighty Peking Man" and "War of the Gargantuas".
Huh, I'm surprised I've never heard of any of those. Hilariously bad Sci-Fi creature flicks used to be the bread and butter of my television experience. O__o I'll have to check those out.

Another movie that might be worth your time is "Pulgasari". It is the only monster movie to come out of North Korea! It was produced by dictator Kim Jong-il, and its director and some of the cast were kidnapped from South Korean by North Korean spies and forced to make this movie! The result is what one might expect of a movie made by forced labor. Of all the horrible things North Korea has done, this is one of the worst.

It makes a good companion piece to South Korea's "Dragon Wars" and "Yonggary". I think both sides project these films across the DMZ as a form of psychological warfare.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

If you guys like cheesy monster movies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvciIVcn33c

Yeah
that just happened
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Saw Arrietty earlier today, and it was really awesome. *u*
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Seth wrote:If you guys like cheesy monster movies
Sort of related, we just finished watching Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in English (that's the 1994 one with Robert De Niro as the monster), which isn't a cheesy monster movie per se, but it's a cheesy movie with a monster in it. It was the funniest thing.

To be fair, it had a few good things going for it-
+ The creation scene was really well done
+ Robert De Niro did a pretty good job
+ Justine's death was done effectively (yes I'm spoiling the plot of Frankenstein)
+ I thought the way they handled Elizabeth in the last act was clever
+ They managed to make a movie that resembled the book, recalled the 1931 film, and still did its own thing

That's pretty much it
The actors and music were pretty good when they weren't being hammy and overdramatic. The problem there is that the time during which the actors and music are not being hammy and overdramatic adds up to about five minutes of screen time.

It was just so stupid at points. Personally, my favorites are when the monster flies out of the air at Frankenstein in slow motion, and when Elizabeth runs down the hallway on fire, flailing her arms while the entire house just erupts into flame. It's even better when, immediately after that, they smash cut to Frankenstein back in the arctic saying "then I went to the arctic the end." The dialogue didn't help either, like when, while looking for William, Elizabeth just tacks on "and I'm so tired!" to her string of desperate pleas. Another favorite of mine is when Victor begs Elizabeth not to leave, and his ability to speak disappears and a minute long ellipsis comes between each word (we were watching with subtitles, and every word was on its own subtitle).

Also, I personally think the monster looked too normal. He just looked like a guy with some bad battle scars and a shaved head. He doesn't have to be as terrifying as he's made out to be in the book, but he should at least look not-human somehow. Karloff's monster had that oddly shaped head and those eyelids, and even this movie's own Elizabeth looks less human than the monster when Frankenstein brings her back to life (with unnecessary stitching across her face, I might add).[/spoiler

But yes anyway I'm done rambling has anyone else ever seen this
Image Image
Radio Blue Heart

I shared these with KJOokami but I thought everyone could get a kick out of these classic giant monster movies. Only one was intended to be a comedy.

A*P*E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=943pcaqVQos

Queen Kong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHxg2UzCag

War of the Gargantuas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swC1wZAJ5lU

I let out the trailer for Mighty Peking Man because it has some glimpses of nakedness. Other than that, its just another monster on the loose movie.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Anyone ever seen The Stupids?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Anyone ever seen The Stupids?

I was forced to. It damaged me.

Sorry if you like that movie, but it is just not for me.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Anyone ever seen The Stupids?

I was forced to. It damaged me.

Sorry if you like that movie, but it is just not for me.
Hey, no sorry necessary, not all movies are for everyone. I mean, I hate Gone With the Wind.

I think what I like about The Stupids is that it's a simple, innocent kind of humor. No swear words every five minutes, no sexual innuendo, no cringe-inducing physical comedy that should by all rights send people to the hospital. This sort of cleanness is simply something you never see anymore, and I respect the movie for that.

Edit: Okay, here we go. My new favorite movie ever and for all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Y9DnBNJFTI
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

eh
I haven't really been impressed with Marvel's movies lately.
They're all o.k. but I kind of feel like they're riding the coattails of the comics and just producing average action movies.
I'd rather stay home and read the comics.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:eh
They're all o.k. but I kind of feel like they're riding the coattails of the comics and just producing average action movies.
Must...resist...geeking out...

Well, all I can say is, at least Marvel is making movies of their superheroes. I just don't get why DC has such a hard time of it. All they really do is Batman and Superman. Green Lantern last year was okay, and I'm glad that they've decided to go ahead and do a sequel, but where's my Wonder Woman movie? Where's the Flash, and Hawkgirl, and the Question? I just don't get it...
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:
Seth wrote:eh
Must...resist...geeking out...

Well, all I can say is, at least Marvel is making movies of their superheroes. I just don't get why DC has such a hard time of it. All they really do is Batman and Superman. Green Lantern last year was okay, and I'm glad that they've decided to go ahead and do a sequel, but where's my Wonder Woman movie? Where's the Flash, and Hawkgirl, and the Question? I just don't get it...
I think DC makes better quality movies (though Green lantern is an exception)
I wish Marvel would take a cue from them and make a few great movies instead of a bunch of good but not great movies.
(I'm extremely biased because I'm a huge batman fan so take what I say with a grain of salt)
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

As it stands, the market is currently saturated to the core with superhero movies. We've had them coming out the wazoo for several years now, and sales are steadily decreasing, regardless of how good certain movies turn out to be. People, in general, are just getting tired of seeing so many of them coming out, and outside of the comic book fans who aren't put off by the inaccuracies to the old comics, there just isn't as big of a market for superhero flicks as there was, say, 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that's the main reason that DC has tried to lay off on putting out so many in recent years. Marvel hasn't really picked up on that (or they just wanted to ensure that they'd get out all of the movies they needed to to make this Avengers thing happen), but they're still doing okay, I guess. Like Seth said though, there really haven't been many that have stood out as incredible, or even above-average, films.

Between the over-saturation, and the quality-drop that came with it, it's not surprising that a lot of people aren't going to want to see any more superhero movies for a while.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

KJOokami wrote:As it stands, the market is currently saturated to the core with superhero movies. We've had them coming out the wazoo for several years now, and sales are steadily decreasing, regardless of how good certain movies turn out to be. People, in general, are just getting tired of seeing so many of them coming out, and outside of the comic book fans who aren't put off by the inaccuracies to the old comics, there just isn't as big of a market for superhero flicks as there was, say, 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that's the main reason that DC has tried to lay off on putting out so many in recent years. Marvel hasn't really picked up on that (or they just wanted to ensure that they'd get out all of the movies they needed to to make this Avengers thing happen), but they're still doing okay, I guess. Like Seth said though, there really haven't been many that have stood out as incredible, or even above-average, films.

Between the over-saturation, and the quality-drop that came with it, it's not surprising that a lot of people aren't going to want to see any more superhero movies for a while.
Unless Avengers lives up to it's hype and blows everyone away
but I kind of doubt it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I guess I must be dumb, because I've only noticed an increase in quality with Marvel superhero movies. I mean, Thor and Captain America were both pitch-perfect. The relationship between Thor and Loki was almost Shakespearean, and Loki himself was a great, tragic villain. You could really understand where he was coming from, even if you didn't agree with him. Meanwhile, Chris Evans as Steve Rodgers and Captain America was perfect casting. His conversation with Professor Erskine before the transformation speaks to the heart of all superhero stories.

All the best superhero tales deal in some way or another with power and what it means to wield it. It goes back to Plato's Republic and the Ring of Gyges. I think...oh dang it, I'm letting my literary theorist show again. Sorry.
Radio Blue Heart

DC always has Batman to fall back on. I think the problem is that DC is owned by Warner Bros. so all of their adaptations are Warner productions. Before Disney bought out Marvel and they were an independent entity, they would sell their properties to the highest bidder. They usually drive the price up and thus the production cost. The studios are usually eager to make back their investment so they try to put the best creative teams that they can behind them. Not that Marvel has not had some truly awful movies. But not as many as DC.

But back before Hollywood started snapping up every comic book property they could get their claws on, the "highest bidders" back then gave us The Punisher (1989), Captain America (1990), and Fantastic Four (1994). I guess I can't complain too much about the '94 version of Fantastic Four was never released. It was only made to satisfy a contractual agreement.

But in more recent times they have given us Elecktra, Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider and Man-Thing. Man-Thing was a "Sci-fi Channel Original" so I didn't expect to much of it. Where as DC gave us Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Superman 3 & 4, Supergirl and Steel. Some people have blamed Steel for killing off super hero movies for a while.
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote:I guess I must be dumb, because I've only noticed an increase in quality with Marvel superhero movies. I mean, Thor and Captain America were both pitch-perfect. The relationship between Thor and Loki was almost Shakespearean, and Loki himself was a great, tragic villain. You could really understand where he was coming from, even if you didn't agree with him. Meanwhile, Chris Evans as Steve Rodgers and Captain America was perfect casting. His conversation with Professor Erskine before the transformation speaks to the heart of all superhero stories.

All the best superhero tales deal in some way or another with power and what it means to wield it. It goes back to Plato's Republic and the Ring of Gyges. I think...oh dang it, I'm letting my literary theorist show again. Sorry.
They may be getting better but they still aren't blowing me away.
I saw captain america, it was ok but I just wasn't blown away.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:DC always has Batman to fall back on. I think the problem is that DC is owned by Warner Bros. so all of their adaptations are Warner productions. Before Disney bought out Marvel and they were an independent entity, they would sell their properties to the highest bidder. They usually drive the price up and thus the production cost. The studios are usually eager to make back their investment so they try to put the best creative teams that they can behind them. Not that Marvel has not had some truly awful movies. But not as many as DC.

But back before Hollywood started snapping up every comic book property they could get their claws on, the "highest bidders" back then gave us The Punisher (1989), Captain America (1990), and Fantastic Four (1994). I guess I can't complain too much about the '94 version of Fantastic Four was never released. It was only made to satisfy a contractual agreement.

But in more recent times they have given us Elecktra, Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider and Man-Thing. Man-Thing was a "Sci-fi Channel Original" so I didn't expect to much of it. Where as DC gave us Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Superman 3 & 4, Supergirl and Steel. Some people have blamed Steel for killing off super hero movies for a while.
Really? Huh, I had thought it was Batman & Robin that did that. But yeah, I could see Steel doing it.

I think what I would like to see is more movies like Chronicle. You know, superhero movies that aren't adapted from comic books or whatever.