Favorite MOVIES (?)

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: Favorite MOVIES (?)

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Seth wrote:Oh man that's such an awesome movie. I absolutely love the impressionist style backgrounds. Plus I'm a huge rob Zombie fan so I geeked out every time I recognized something he'd referenced in his video for Living Dead girl.

If anyone wants to see it and doesn't have netflix There are alot of old horror movies (Including Caligari) in their entirety on youtube. You do have to suffer through commercials every 20-30 minutes but it's still pretty cool.
A lot of those movies from that time period are in the public domain, so they can be watched and downloaded for free with no reprisals from any copyright holders.

I post PD films on my youtube page all the time. Some good films lapse into the public domain, but a lot are there because nobody wanted them.

I ordered my copy of the "Halloween II" special edition tonight, and joy of joys Shout Factory is also going to give a special edition of "Phantasm II"!
Gah! I don't get it! Why's it always Phantasm II that gets all the releases and attention? Why about the first Phantasm movie? I can't find it anywhere, and I'd really prefer watching them in order. :(

Also, what's your youtube page?

The first "Phantasm" film is available from Anchor Bay. Its a good edition and its still in print and goes pretty cheap on Amazon.com. Definitely watch it first! It is one of the finest independent horror films to ever come out of America, in the 1970s or any other decade. "Phantasm II" was released by Universal and they have only put out "bare bones" DVDs in North America, and made it more widely available than the copyright holders of the first film are able too.

This is my youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/radioblueheart?feature=mhee

Most of the movies I posted come from archive.com, a site where you can get public domain movies and shorts for free. I monitized some of them to try and turn a profit. It has not paid off yet, but I don't think too many people are clamoring to see "The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant" when 20 other people have it. Feel free to comment even if its 'this sucks!'
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hey, it's like Doug Walker, the Nostalgia Critic, always says. Every movie's a miracle just getting made, and every movie means something to somebody.

I, for instance, am a fan of the Jeepers Creepers movies. Even the second one.

Post by 0404 »

Folks.....
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

texascat018 wrote:Folks.....
Fake. Sorry, but that's been around for years as far as I know, and it's fake.

And to keep this actually movie-related, I just finished watching Hellraiser for the first time. That is a disturbing movie.

Post by 0404 »

yeah I wish it was real. it's like ghost buster 2... it won't happen
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

texascat018 wrote:yeah I wish it was real. it's like ghost buster 2... it won't happen
Uh... Ghostbusters 2 did happen. You mean 3?
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

actually,isn't ghosbusters 3 already on production?
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.

Post by 0404 »

I mean 3 ... oh dummy me
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Luvindonesia wrote:actually,isn't ghosbusters 3 already on production?
Nope. They keep writing new scripts with new writers, trying to entice Bill Murray back. Meanwhile, Bill Murray's being an obstinate jerk in regards to whether he'll participate or not. It's pretty likely we'll never have a Ghostbusters 3.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Luvindonesia wrote:actually,isn't ghosbusters 3 already on production?
Nope. They keep writing new scripts with new writers, trying to entice Bill Murray back. Meanwhile, Bill Murray's being an obstinate jerk in regards to whether he'll participate or not. It's pretty likely we'll never have a Ghostbusters 3.
He would do the Garfield movies and those abysmal Wes Anderson movies yet he won't put his name on a third Ghostbusters? Why?!
Penwrite wrote:Hey, it's like Doug Walker, the Nostalgia Critic, always says. Every movie's a miracle just getting made, and every movie means something to somebody.

I, for instance, am a fan of the Jeepers Creepers movies. Even the second one.
The Jeepers Creepers movies are good! Classic monster movies!

I promise that you will not be disappointed by "Phantasm"!
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Penwrite wrote: And to keep this actually movie-related, I just finished watching Hellraiser for the first time. That is a disturbing movie.
Agreed, even though the effects are a bit dated it still scared hte bejeezus out of me when I watched it. Anyone know if the sequels are worth checking out?
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

Seth wrote:
Penwrite wrote: And to keep this actually movie-related, I just finished watching Hellraiser for the first time. That is a disturbing movie.
Agreed, even though the effects are a bit dated it still scared hte bejeezus out of me when I watched it. Anyone know if the sequels are worth checking out?
the 2nd one was pretty good it is worth to watch but,the rest of it isn't really worth it i stopped watching hellraiser after the 3rd one they are like 9 sequels for that movie and the last sequel was the worst one. even clive barker hated it you should see his tweet about the movie there's a lot of cursing.
we always have a choice in life so choose wisely and always believed in the choices you've made.
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:
Good for you, Penwrite! That movie is classic! The novel its based off of, "The Hellbound Heart", is pretty good too!

I disagree that the effects are dated, Seth. I think they hold up pretty well. Especially the gore!

The second film "Hellbound: Hellraiser II" is really good! But starting with part three the series went down hill really fast!

It is confirmed that Clive Barker is going to write and produce another film adaptation of his original novel.

If you like that movie, also check out "Lord Of Illusions" and "Nightbreed". But only if they are the director's cuts. The studios recut the theatrical versions ruined them.
-Virgil
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

where can you watch movies for free online anyways? cause i can't really find those old movies that you just said in indonesia
Radio Blue Heart

Luvindonesia wrote:where can you watch movies for free online anyways? cause i can't really find those old movies that you just said in indonesia

"Mystics In Bali". English dubbed, I'm afraid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqFX5s8QIjg

It was banned in Indonesia upon its release there.
-Virgil
Luvindonesia

Post by Luvindonesia »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Luvindonesia wrote:where can you watch movies for free online anyways? cause i can't really find those old movies that you just said in indonesia

wow, i think you're the only one i know from the USA that likes watching indonesian cinema i never even heard of this movie
Radio Blue Heart

Luvindonesia wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

wow, i think you're the only one i know from the USA that likes watching indonesian cinema i never even heard of this movie
In the realm of cult cinema, Indonesia is mostly known for its adventure films. Films like "The Devil's Sword", that combine elements of martial arts and fantasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szt1hCPVmXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ilbcH2W-D0

Many of these films are better known abroad because many were banned by the Indonesian government for one reason or another. Indonesia is known world wide for its strict censorship laws.

Indonesian movies are very good!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watching clips of it on YouTube, I just remembered that the 80s remake of The Blob is freaking brutal. Oh my gosh, these death scenes!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Ok, well...anybody here know some interesting facts about Tim Burton? I'm kinda doing a presentation on him, and I'd really appreciate some added information.
Radio Blue Heart

44R0NM10 wrote:Ok, well...anybody here know some interesting facts about Tim Burton? I'm kinda doing a presentation on him, and I'd really appreciate some added information.

His biggest film influence was "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Every film he's done with few exceptions has been influenced by its style. You can site the book "Profoundly Disturbing" and its section of "Caligari" as a source on this. Many of his film imitate the aesthetic of "Caligari", like the twisted pipes and slanted windowsills, as well as odd shaped buildings and even people.

Many of his characters have the appearance of some of the films characters, particularly Cesare the somnambulist, with pale skin and dark circles around their eyes.

When he worked at disney as an animator, he was fired for making his short film "Frankenweenie" because the studio believed that nothing would ever amount from it.

His first short film was called "Vincent", stop motion animated piece narrated by Vincent Price.

That is all that I can give you now off the top of my head.
Penwrite wrote:Watching clips of it on YouTube, I just remembered that the 80s remake of The Blob is freaking brutal. Oh my gosh, these death scenes!
Yes! A very gruesome remake! I was especially freaked out by the sink drain and sewer scenes.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:That is all that I can give you now off the top of my head.
Penwrite wrote:Watching clips of it on YouTube, I just remembered that the 80s remake of The Blob is freaking brutal. Oh my gosh, these death scenes!
Yes! A very gruesome remake! I was especially freaked out by the sink drain and sewer scenes.
I'd say the 80s Blob remake is a good example of how to do a remake right. It takes the basic premise and takes it in a new direction, reflecting the times while doing so. Honestly, I'd rank it right up there with John Carpenter's The Thing has one of the best horror remakes around.

Also, responding to the Tim Burton question, his short Vincent can be found on youtube if you want to give it a watch.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:That is all that I can give you now off the top of my head.
I'd say the 80s Blob remake is a good example of how to do a remake right. It takes the basic premise and takes it in a new direction, reflecting the times while doing so. Honestly, I'd rank it right up there with John Carpenter's The Thing has one of the best horror remakes around.

Also, responding to the Tim Burton question, his short Vincent can be found on youtube if you want to give it a watch.

Actually, "The Thing" was an adaptation of the short story "Who Goes There?" An adaptation of another medium, not a remade original film.

As a rule I hate remakes, but I will concede that this one was good.
-Virgil
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Wow, thanks Radio. I only knew 1 of those lines, and had no idea he was fired for Disney after making the first Frankenweenie.

Not to mention, giving me a source is really, really helpful, thank you.
Radio Blue Heart

44R0NM10 wrote:Wow, thanks Radio. I only knew 1 of those lines, and had no idea he was fired for Disney after making the first Frankenweenie.

Not to mention, giving me a source is really, really helpful, thank you.
Just glad to be of service. Although that chapter in "Profoundly Disturbing" is about Caligari, it does get into its influence on Burton and others.

Also, his film "Ed Wood", a biography of filmmaker Edward D. Wood, Jr., despite being his one of his biggest box office failures, won two Academy Awards.

"Ed Wood" is a very good movie! Its my favorite Tim Burton film. It is hilarious and poignant.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Actually, "The Thing" was an adaptation of the short story "Who Goes There?" An adaptation of another medium, not a remade original film.

Oh, you know of that? Thank goodness. I'd gotten used to people not being aware it was a short story first, heh. I should really get that sometime...

And yeah, most remakes are bad. But as I've said before around here, I don't think the idea of a remake is itself is a bad thing. Like if the movie had potential but was done poorly the first time, or to update it to modern thoughts and fears.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Actually, "The Thing" was an adaptation of the short story "Who Goes There?" An adaptation of another medium, not a remade original film.

Oh, you know of that? Thank goodness. I'd gotten used to people not being aware it was a short story first, heh. I should really get that sometime...

And yeah, most remakes are bad. But as I've said before around here, I don't think the idea of a remake is itself is a bad thing. Like if the movie had potential but was done poorly the first time, or to update it to modern thoughts and fears.

But most of the time it is just an excuse to use the concepts and reputation of a film to turn it into a one-week-wonder so as to squeeze money out of it. Mostly to water down complex concepts to make the film as lowest common denominator as possible.

If you like The Thing/Who Goes There, watch this one from my collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApLCGBRX8M

"Horror Express". Its sort of like The Thing set on a train. And it stars Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and Telly Savalis.

Off topic, I just found out that another film in the "Die Hard" series is coming out next year. I don't know why but I am kind of excited about it.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I am as well. I didn't think the last one was that bad, all things considered.

I also thought of another excellent remake. David Cronenberg's The Fly.
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I am as well. I didn't think the last one was that bad, all things considered.

That was also originally a short story written by George Langelaan and published in Playboy magazine. I let it slide by default.

It was a really good movie too!

Also, just in time for Christmas, I found this! I can't believe that I missed it.

"The Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special"!

Warning: violence and naughty language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRIJA7KyHE

If DC were smart, they would expand this into a full movie. It would easily make of for the money they lost on "Catwoman", "Jonah Hex" and "Green Lantern".

I got "The Deadly Spawn" in the mail yesterday! AWESOME!!!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:I am as well. I didn't think the last one was that bad, all things considered.

That was also originally a short story written by George Langelaan and published in Playboy magazine. I let it slide by default.

Also, just in time for Christmas, I found this! I can't believe that I missed it.

Warning: violence and naughty language: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRIJA7KyHE

If DC were smart, they would expand this into a full movie. It would easily make of for the money they lost on "Catwoman", "Jonah Hex" and "Green Lantern".

True, but I've only ever heard it referred to as a remake, not another adaption of the original story, so I'm counting it as a remake.

Anywho, just finished watching Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man with my brother. That was... a really good movie!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:

I'm pretty sure they'd find a way to mess up a Lobo movie too. Though if it came out I'd probably go see it because I think if done well it'd make a heck of a movie.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Well, I think I can safely say that The Gate has the meanest, most unlikable teenage characters I've ever seen. What was it about the 80s that made film makers think teenagers were monsters?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Well, I think I can safely say that The Gate has the meanest, most unlikable teenage characters I've ever seen. What was it about the 80s that made film makers think teenagers were monsters?
Well, part of it is that older and more conservative people seem to have a very irrational fear of youth. Its part of the whole age suppressing youth thing. On top of that, sensationalism sells tickets. Just look at "Class of 1984", it is the most outrageous thing I have ever seen. It shows all teenagers as evil minded little animals that can only be dealt with by violence.

Just watch "Class of Nuke 'Em High". It plays the whole thing for laughs and scares.

I ordered this movie yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLTUV1RitPM

Oh, yes. I am thoroughly going to enjoy this!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Well, I think I can safely say that The Gate has the meanest, most unlikable teenage characters I've ever seen. What was it about the 80s that made film makers think teenagers were monsters?
Well, part of it is that older and more conservative people seem to have a very irrational fear of youth. Its part of the whole age suppressing youth thing. On top of that, sensationalism sells tickets. Just look at "Class of 1984", it is the most outrageous thing I have ever seen. It shows all teenagers as evil minded little animals that can only be dealt with by violence.

Just watch "Class of Nuke 'Em High". It plays the whole thing for laughs and scares.

I have to say though, overall I really enjoyed The Gate. Some cool effects, genuine scares, a strange atmosphere, and Lovecraftian elements I didn't expect.

Also, you really like terrible movies, don't you Radio?
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

I have to say though, overall I really enjoyed The Gate. Some cool effects, genuine scares, a strange atmosphere, and Lovecraftian elements I didn't expect.

Also, you really like terrible movies, don't you Radio?

I love all movies! I am just able to appreciate them differently than other people. You have to admit, that trailer looks hilarious!

I really like "The Gate" too. The ending was a little to odd for me, defeating the monster with a toy rocket.

There is sequel "The Gate II: The Trespassers". I have not seen it but if you like "The Gate" it might be worth your time.

Other movies with a similar tone that you might like are "Ghoulies", "The Pit", "Terrorvision", "Puppet Master" and "Pumpkinhead". These films harken back to the good old days of practical special effects.

When I was ordering "Godmonster of Indian Flats", I also got "Werewolf: The Beast Among Us". A bit more modern and I will let y'all know how it turns out. Stay tuned.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Some Horror classics that I'd recommend:
The Haunting (1963): A team of psychic investigators moves into a haunted house that destroys all who live there.
Dead of Night (1945): Guests at a country estate share stories of the supernatural. (This one reminded me of The Twilight Zone)
Freaks (1932): A lady trapeze artist violates the code of the side show when she plots to murder her midget husband.

I saw that somebody mentioned one of my favorites, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. :D
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:Some Horror classics that I'd recommend:
The Haunting (1963): A team of psychic investigators moves into a haunted house that destroys all who live there.
Dead of Night (1945): Guests at a country estate share stories of the supernatural. (This one reminded me of The Twilight Zone)
Freaks (1932): A lady trapeze artist violates the code of the side show when she plots to murder her midget husband.

I saw that somebody mentioned one of my favorites, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. :D
That would be me, hehe. :) It was a really good movie. I wish I hadn't accidentally spoiled the twist ending for myself through TVTropes though. :( I totally wouldn't have seen it coming though.

Also, Punchy, I feel that whenever the 60s The Haunting is mentioned, care should be given to say that the 90s remake must be absolutely avoided.
Radio Blue Heart

"Dead of Night" was very creepy!

A few other classics from the golden age of black and white horror films you might also want to try:
"M"
"Carnival of Souls"
"Dementia 13"
"Black Sunday"
"I, Vampiri"
"Night Of The Living Dead"
"Les Diaboliques"
"House On Haunted Hill"
"Last Man On Earth"
"The Dead One"
"Spider Baby"
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Penwrite wrote:Also, Punchy, I feel that whenever the 60s The Haunting is mentioned, care should be given to say that the 90s remake must be absolutely avoided.
I didn't know there was a remake.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:A few other classics from the golden age of black and white horror films you might also want to try:
"M"
"Carnival of Souls"
"Dementia 13"
"Black Sunday"
"I, Vampiri"
"Les Diaboliques"
"House On Haunted Hill"
"Last Man On Earth"
"The Dead One"
"Spider Baby"
Three of those I've seen and enjoyed. And another three that I really want to see, but haven't found yet.
Also, anything with Vincent Price in it is worth seeing, IMO.
Panda Panda Panda
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Punchy wrote:
Penwrite wrote:Also, Punchy, I feel that whenever the 60s The Haunting is mentioned, care should be given to say that the 90s remake must be absolutely avoided.
I didn't know there was a remake.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:A few other classics from the golden age of black and white horror films you might also want to try:
"M"
"Carnival of Souls"
"Dementia 13"
"Black Sunday"
"I, Vampiri"
"Les Diaboliques"
"House On Haunted Hill"
"Last Man On Earth"
"The Dead One"
"Spider Baby"
Three of those I've seen and enjoyed. And another three that I really want to see, but haven't found yet.
Also, anything with Vincent Price in it is worth seeing, IMO.
Yeah, it stared Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Owen Wilson. Basically, it took out all the psychological suspense and atmosphere and replaced it with an insane amount of cg making scary faces and growling. Here's a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6O5coCdVSQ

Also yes, Vincent Price makes most things watchable.