Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
The Multiverse 

Post The Multiverse
I recently saw someone's post about hoping that the multiverse exists. I've actually read a few books on quantum physics, and although I'm not a physicist I would like to find a way to create a wormhole or some other method of connecting universes. What do you think about the idea of the multiverse? Do you have any thoughts or ideas on the creation of wormholes or other means to connect universes?

Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm
Bringing Foxy Back

Post Re: The Multiverse
If it's even true, anything practical about it would not come about until after we're all dead, most likely.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

Sleet wrote:
If it's even true, anything practical about it would not come about until after we're all dead, most likely.

Perhaps, but if string theory is correct there is an enormous amount of energy within particles. If that energy could be extracted, then maybe we could use it to create a wormhole. I know it's ambitious to say the least, but it's worth a shot...

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I'd like to believe in multi-verses, but right now we don't know since we cannot say what is beyond our universe's boarder.
What I like to think is there are multi-verses if we invent time-travel (there is a debate going on right now because they apparently found particles that travel faster than light, which I doubt because I'm a strong lover to paradoxes) it would open up some sort of rift to a past universe, hence the time travel...Also the proof of multi-verses.

But my simpler way of stating if multi-verses would exist is what was before our universe? The big-bang could only happen if something exploded, hence the bang part. What I think is that a previous universe had a super massive black-hole that became in a critical state and sucked EVERYTHING in, which is nicknamed "The Big Crunch" then the said black-hole collapsed in on its self and became a small dot which exploded into the Big Bang hence forth our universe was created.

That COULD support multi-verse theories given on that's how I think our universe was created, via the death of another. Who knows, another theory is that our universe is a bubble, seeing how when you blow into a bubble-blower, it created other bubbles, some float around and stick/combine/even pop, we could be resting on another universe or combined with one, hence a constant growth, who knows. Better if we don't know, because that day we know, we would have no reason to exist since we know the answer of a mind boggling question: What's beyond our universe's boundaries?

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Avatar drew by the awesome Hukley! GO HUKLEY GO :D

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 am
Bringing Foxy Back

Strange Matter wrote:
Sleet wrote:

Perhaps, but if string theory is correct there is an enormous amount of energy within particles. If that energy could be extracted, then maybe we could use it to create a wormhole. I know it's ambitious to say the least, but it's worth a shot...
I don't think "get a lot of energy, then science happens" is how real life works. :P

Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Devil Skirrl

What do you know, biomedical engineer?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:24 am
Profile WWW
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Strange Matter wrote:
Sleet wrote:

It's a might more complex then that.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:44 am
Profile ICQ YIM

Sleet wrote:
I don't think "get a lot of energy, then science happens" is how real life works. :P

Foxstar wrote:
It's a might more complex then that.

Actually... it has been theorized that space itself will begin to boil and break down upon reaching what is known as "Planck energy", which is an extremely high amount of energy. Michio Kaku talked about thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hmXrHvmwOM . My idea would be to somehow create exotic matter, which has negative mass from decaying elementary particles, since negative mass is supposedly necessary to keep wormholes open and could potentially solve the problem of gathering the required energies- the total energy of the particles should be the same before and after the decay, so if one particle has most of the positive energy, then the other should have most of the negative energy.

diss wrote:
What do you know, biomedical engineer?

I'm actually studying to be a molecular biologist, but I've read three books involving quantum physics.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:48 pm
Devil Skirrl

I was talking to Sleet.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

diss wrote:
I was talking to Sleet.

Oh... That's interesting... I didn't realize that he worked in biology as well. Sorry for the confusion.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:33 pm
Smiley McSmiles

Strange Matter wrote:
Actually... it has been theorized that space itself will begin to boil and break down upon reaching what is known as "Planck energy", which is an extremely high amount of energy.
Even still, "get a lot of energy, then science happens" is, at best, a severe understatement (10^19billion eV is far more energy than we can currently dream of producing) and still very much not enough to explain how you would go about getting things to occur how you want them to.
Strange Matter wrote:
My idea would be to somehow create exotic matter, which has negative mass from decaying elementary particles
The keyword here is "somehow". There are currently no known particles that exhibit negative mass. And we currently have no understanding of how to create such particles or cause them to appear. Your idea of having something break down into particles, some of which have positive energy and some of which have negative energy such that they equal out to the initial energy, works under the very interesting notion that I could end up with more positive energy than I started with, provided I also end up with an equalizing amount of negative energy. Whether or not this is true, I have not the slightest clue, but it seems to lie entirely within the realm of the theoretical as of yet.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Obbl wrote:
Strange Matter wrote:
Actually... it has been theorized that space itself will begin to boil and break down upon reaching what is known as "Planck energy", which is an extremely high amount of energy.
Even still, "get a lot of energy, then science happens" is, at best, a severe understatement (10^19billion eV is far more energy than we can currently dream of producing) and still very much not enough to explain how you would go about getting things to occur how you want them to.
Strange Matter wrote:
My idea would be to somehow create exotic matter, which has negative mass from decaying elementary particles
The keyword here is "somehow". There are currently no known particles that exhibit negative mass. And we currently have no understanding of how to create such particles or cause them to appear. Your idea of having something break down into particles, some of which have positive energy and some of which have negative energy such that they equal out to the initial energy, works under the very interesting notion that I could end up with more positive energy than I started with, provided I also end up with an equalizing amount of negative energy. Whether or not this is true, I have not the slightest clue, but it seems to lie entirely within the realm of the theoretical as of yet.

I do have an idea of how to obtain this energy though. According to string theory, elementary particles vibrate with energies that are multiples of Planck energy, but this is almost completely negated by the negative energy of the quantum fluctuations to give rise to particles with familiar masses. Perhaps it might be possible to use gravity to cause a decaying string to split its energies in the desired way since exotic matter would exert an antigravity of sorts.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:56 pm
Smiley McSmiles

Gravity, being the weakest force by a large degree, is likely not going to have much effect on the planck scale, yes? Plus, I thought we would still need very large amounts of energy in order to interact with the strings (again such energy as we do not possess the means to harness). It is in fact because of this limitation that we are unable to verify string theory as of yet (and one of the critisisms against string theory as a whole).

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Obbl wrote:
Gravity, being the weakest force by a large degree, is likely not going to have much effect on the planck scale, yes? Plus, I thought we would still need very large amounts of energy in order to interact with the strings (again such energy as we do not possess the means to harness). It is in fact because of this limitation that we are unable to verify string theory as of yet (and one of the critisisms against string theory as a whole).

Well, gravity is weak, but if a decaying particle is extremely close to an extremely powerful laser, then that might be enough to pull the positive energy out of the string. Granted I'm not sure how much energy it would take to split the string in such a way if it's even possible. Is the energy needed to interact with strings in regards to supercolliders or "inflating" strings? I'm hoping that this method would take far less energy to work; it would still probably be an extremely large amount but hopefully doable.

Also, about how much energy can we generate? Perhaps some sort of "quantum battery" could be a step in the right direction.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:58 pm

aBritishfox wrote:
I'd like to believe in multi-verses, but right now we don't know since we cannot say what is beyond our universe's boarder.
What I like to think is there are multi-verses if we invent time-travel (there is a debate going on right now because they apparently found particles that travel faster than light, which I doubt because I'm a strong lover to paradoxes) it would open up some sort of rift to a past universe, hence the time travel...Also the proof of multi-verses.

But my simpler way of stating if multi-verses would exist is what was before our universe? The big-bang could only happen if something exploded, hence the bang part. What I think is that a previous universe had a super massive black-hole that became in a critical state and sucked EVERYTHING in, which is nicknamed "The Big Crunch" then the said black-hole collapsed in on its self and became a small dot which exploded into the Big Bang hence forth our universe was created.

That COULD support multi-verse theories given on that's how I think our universe was created, via the death of another. Who knows, another theory is that our universe is a bubble, seeing how when you blow into a bubble-blower, it created other bubbles, some float around and stick/combine/even pop, we could be resting on another universe or combined with one, hence a constant growth, who knows. Better if we don't know, because that day we know, we would have no reason to exist since we know the answer of a mind boggling question: What's beyond our universe's boundaries?

Firstly I always liked catering the idea of multiple universes. But I am a writer, I am creative. But I am not much of a study in this subject.

Now to go slightly off topic. I always wondered if we could view and manipulate alternate universes. This way we could create and adjust a universe to where the only change at all was that one rock faced left over right. Then observe the past as it is happening. Also observing these universes could benefit science as well.

Stats:
-s:6
-P:7
-E:5
-C:5
- I:6
-A:6
-L:7
Calder: -SPECIAL-S:7 P:8 E:5 C:5 I:6 A:5 L:6

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]