"Weird" favorite foods?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Punchy

Re: "Weird" favorite foods?

Post by Punchy »

D-Rock wrote:Yeah, I've heard that some types of peanut butter can separate. We used JIF at work. I'm sure that that stuff is made to not separate.
Yeah, you don't have to mix JIF once you open it.
Used to get that peanut butter when I was younger to make fluffernutter sandwiches.
Panda Panda Panda
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh I used to love fluffernutter sandwiches when I was younger! My sister eats Nutella now.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Haven't a particularly weird favourite food, also because I tend to don't try "exotic" looking food... No strange food combinations, too.
Deske wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I would like to see literal sparkling water sometime.
Go to Europe. You can watch the sunlight sparkle off the bubbles in the water.
In the US there isn't sparkling water? :? I don't only see it, I drink it everyday. :P
Deske wrote:I bought some Macaroons and promptly ate them all.
Wonder how these Macarons taste...
Deske wrote:
deepskycyan wrote:Lemon Fanta isn't strange!
I'm going off the fact that I've never seen it in America. Anywhere. Only in Europe.
Here it's called Fanta Lemon. :P Always preferred lemon Schweppes, instead.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh I used to love fluffernutter sandwiches when I was younger! My sister eats Nutella now.
Our glorious Nutella... I used to love it when I was younger. Who didn't? :P
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Deske wrote:Coca-Cola is all they have in Europe besides Orange Fanta and bubbly water. Literally sparkling water.
Also Pepsi exists in Europe. Sadly, because it tastes awful (personal opinion).
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Render wrote:
Deske wrote:Coca-Cola is all they have in Europe besides Orange Fanta and bubbly water. Literally sparkling water.
I confirm that Pepsi there's also here besides Coca-Cola, together with lot of local brands (it's one of these which tasted bad to me). I'm no more drinking such sodas, anyway...
Have you ever tried Chinotto (read it "kinotto") drink? I hate it...
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Sparkling water doesn't exist around the area I live at, unless it's imported (like Perrier or something). At least, as far as I'm concerned.

Like how the Red Bull energy drink is made with plain normal water here (actually the one Malaysia has is imported from Thailand, but whatever), and is made with sparkling water in Europe. I never tried the Europe version yet, so I can't compare the taste as of yet, but I can imagine them being more err.... refreshing?

Back on topic, I'm getting hooked on a local Sabahan delicacy called tuhau. It's basically the stem part of a plant (either the passiflora coccinea or etlingera elatior, I'm not sure) cut up and mixed with vinegar and red chilli. Sort of like a pickle of sorts, great with rice :3 Thing is, the smell can be rather off-putting to those uninitiated (something akin to rotting garbage to me when I first smelled it), but if you can walk through that smell, it tastes nice! Would probably make anyone from the Western Hemisphere run up the Mount Kinabalu though.

Though my mum's version is a hybrid version of that. She first pickles the stems in vinegar to get rid of the smell, then stir-fries it with some Chinese chives, tiny dried anchovies, white chilli, lime juice and smoothly grounded red chilli. This is actually the makings of another local dish called lossun, but I always prefers her version more.

I also like a whole lot more of other Sabahan cuisine that might sound weird to you guys, but I'll keep that for later.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Those do sound interesting, actually. As I don't travel abroad at all, my international food exposure is severely limited.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Render wrote:
Then restaurants don't carry it. Munich, Nürburg, Heidelberg, Paris, Rouen. Never saw Pepsi in any restaurant.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Vegas wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Wow. I am quickly feeling that my suggestion isn't worthy of this thread. Which is sad, considering it's pretty much what started this.

So regarding peanut butter, anyone else ever have that in a milkshake? Made a handful of those at work, and tastes surprisingly good.
Shake? Dude, I used to get them as malts at DQ all the time on the way back from church activity when I was younger. Wow, that was years ago.... *nostalgic*
SergeiTheFox wrote:Well, I take chicken nuggets and cook them with cheese over them. When both the nuggets and cheese are hot, I put them in a tortilla lined with creamy peanut butter and broken up chips (preferably Lays Classic). I then heat up hot dogs and place them inside the tortilla with the other ingredients. Pour a little lemonade over the food to give a sweet taste to it (enough to get the ingredients a little damp, but not make the tortilla soggy). Put cooked ground beef over it and heat the ingredients a little longer. I then take crushed red pepper, salt, parmesan cheese, and cayenne pepper, and sprinkle it over the food. Wrap and eat.
I might try that.
As for the Pepsi vs Coke debate, I prefer Dr. Pepper.
If you try it, be prepared for a moderately sized mess. I recommend laying dish towels or something on the counters (or whatever surface you prepare food on) so that it is easy to clean up afterwards.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I don't care what ya'll have eaten in the past, ain't none of you ready for scrapple.

Not so much a weird food, but when they learn how it's made, a bunch of people are grossed out by it. I personally love it.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Deske

Post by Deske »

What in blazing tortillas is Scrapple?
OOH OOH OH EDIT EDIT EDIT
I have had haggis before at the Scottish festival.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Deske wrote:What in blazing tortillas is Scrapple?
Eh, what the heck?

Okay, to make scrapple, you start with a pig. You take the best parts of it and make ham and/or bacon. You then take all of the stuff that's still "good" but not good enough for ham and grind it up to make sausage. Then you take whatever is left and use it to make those super cheap bulk hotdogs that really aren't that good.

After that, you take the stuff that you wouldn't even put in the cheap hot dogs and just throw it all in a giant vat of boiling water. Boil until everything that can become mush does, filter out any solids left, mix with some corn mash and spices, and you have scrapple. Usually sliced into half inch thick cuts, slightly browned in a frying pan, and enjoyed as a stand alone part to your breakfast plate or as part of a breakfast sandwich (In a New York style bagel if you're lucky. But that's just the best bread for any breakfast sandwich regardless of what you put in it ;) )

Scrapple itself is pretty local to my area. You won't really find it past the middle of New Jersey, but there is a place where I am that hand makes New York style bagels and they offer it as one of the things you can put on a breakfast sandwich. They know me so well there I just have to walk in and nod my head and they start making it. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hmm. Would Vegemite go here or in the other food thread?
Most Australians (including myself) love it but it seems like everyone else in the world hates it. :P

I can't really think of any odd foods/food combinations that I like though. I'm not usually very adventurous.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Jeff, you've piqued my curiosity, and I checked out scrapple. Doesn't sound too bad, really, though my reading said it's sometimes served with jelly, which I still find odd. I've seen it before, but odd to me. Also, haven't had the best experience with offal. Once had foie gras at school, initial taste was great, aftertaste was horrid. It could be it wasn't cooked properly, but it usually takes just one bad experience to keep someone off.

Scrapple kind of sounds like spam. Weird thing is, my first experience with spam was in my Asian Cuisine class. Pan fried, lightly seasoned, wrapped on top of a bed of sticky rice, great stuff!
Hlaoroo wrote:Hmm. Would Vegemite go here or in the other food thread?
Most Australians (including myself) love it but it seems like everyone else in the world hates it. :P

I can't really think of any odd foods/food combinations that I like though. I'm not usually very adventurous.
I don't think I've ever seen that sold where I live. Heck, first I heard of it was in the 90's on some cassette. It was the song Down Under by Men at Work.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I've heard of Vegemite, and I think I saw it being sold here at some point in the past, not sure about now. I do love Marmite though, especially with plain bread or plain old white rice :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Marmite is a bit like Vegemite. It is different though. I've never thought to try either on rice though but it sounds good.

You know, people think I'm weird for liking plain fresh bread. As in, with nothing on it, just bread.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

How do people find plain fresh bread weird? Had that all the time as a kid. No different from plain crackers or tortillas, I think.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Exactly! But people think I'm weird for eating those too! :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Bread is good. I enjoy munching on potato bread hotdog/hamburger buns every so often.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At one point in time, I used to eat croutons without putting them on anything.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

At one point? Why would you stop? That stuff is delicious! I make that rather often at work, really simple to make.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

I still eat both bread and croutons by themselves.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

D-Rock wrote:At one point? Why would you stop? That stuff is delicious! I make that rather often at work, really simple to make.
Because my family aren't really big salad eaters anymore.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Ah. Well, valid reason, I guess. Then why not have fun with it? See what else it goes with.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

How about soup? Croutons go well with soup.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I reminded of a food which I love and may be weird for you. ;) It's an unmistakable shaped fritter cookie called Cartellate, covered with Vincotto or honey. I prefer them with Vincotto, sweet with a little sour aftertaste. Christmas time is coming again to eat them... :P
Hlaoroo wrote:Hmm. Would Vegemite go here or in the other food thread?
It seems to have a strong salty taste, maybe too much for me, probably I won't like it. Would try it, though. Would be very hard to find here...
Hlaoroo wrote:You know, people think I'm weird for liking plain fresh bread. As in, with nothing on it, just bread.
Oh no, me not, I've always liked to eat plain fresh bread. :P Here there are best variants of bread which are perfect as they come out from the oven. ;)
Amazee Dayzee wrote:At one point in time, I used to eat croutons without putting them on anything.
I did too... Bruschetta... :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I do eat soup a lot so I'll have to see if I can get some that will go good with Italian wedding soup.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

I guess weird is a relative/subjective term. I like octopus salad (tentacles and all)... Haven't had it in a while though.
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

I love octopus too! That and squid. The slimier and more visually disgusting the better. Never had it in salad, but I love it on my sushi!

Haven't had it in a while too. It's also pretty high in cholesterol so I certainly don't regret that.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Have yet to try octopus. My dad likes it, I should give it a shot one of these days.

EDIT: So, discovered something at work the other day. Did you know that canned mandarin oranges taste like Sprite when they start to go bad? Starting to wonder if anything can be done with it? I mean, bananas taste best when rather brown, and completely browned bananas are perfect for baking.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

deepskycyan wrote:I love octopus too! That and squid. The slimier and more visually disgusting the better. Never had it in salad, but I love it on my sushi!

Haven't had it in a while too. It's also pretty high in cholesterol so I certainly don't regret that.

Funny how most people seem to have less of a problem eating squid (at least fried calamari) than octopus.

Speaking of high cholesterol, I once tried the worse combination of cold cuts while working at a deli: liverwurst and headcheese. The former by itself isn't too bad, but the latter is essentially just gelled fat (both are a pain to slice). In my opinion, it doesn't even have any flavor.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I never figured that out, either. Like squid, but a bit hesitant to try octopus, myself. Sometimes I don't get myself.

Also, headcheese is congealed fat? That does not sound appetizing, but the fact that it exists means there is a market for it.
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

I've tried squid before... It was tough and gritty
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Likely overcooked, but gritty? How exactly was it prepared, do you know?
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

D-Rock wrote:Likely overcooked, but gritty? How exactly was it prepared, do you know?
It was fried. It's been over 3 months since I last had them.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Not sure, but maybe the batter was too coarse for squid.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When I think of headcheese, I usually think of cheese fermenting in something's head.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Heard a Jerry Seinfeld about headcheese. Two words that should not go together.
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Yeah, it's one of those names that kind of makes sense once you know what's in it (bits of tongue and meat from the head of a cow). I had a customer who always ordered it and wanted it sliced very thin. Again, I've tried it and it didn't really have much of a taste.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I know it's been said before, but I got a McFlurry from McDonalds yesterday and spent a few matches of a game just dipping frenchfries in it.