The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by Sleet »

That'd be a pretty short fight. >;P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Maybe furries are being accepted into mainstream popular culture. Especially with Rocket Raccoon in the Guardians of the Galaxy comic and film.

Just look what it has spawned!

"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I think it's been mentioned before that furries keep verging on the edge of becoming part of mainstream pop culture, but various factors, that I can't remember the specific nature of, keep holding us back. :|
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

One of the Disney's producers seems to be pushing for an anthropomorphic film similar to Robin Hood called Zootopia. XD
“Lasseter (disney producer) will support any movie that has animals running around in clothing,” Howard (director) said.
Some Links: A, B, and C.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Pladim

Post by Pladim »

I have noticed in recent years that the public has had less negative thoughts about furries than before. There are still the people that make snap-judgments when you say 'I'm a furry", but that will always be there.

Will it be completely main-stream or accepted?
Maybe at some point in the future, its on a good path right now, but all it takes is one negative event to happen to throw it all down the drain.
I'm Blue daba dee daba die
Steps to Enlightenment brighten the way, but the stairs are steep, take them one at a time.
----------
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I hope it does become a mainstream pop culture thing someday. It certainly deserves to be.
drebin896

Post by drebin896 »

It would make it more acceptable in Australia at least .
It is better to apply time to a broad range of theories, than to regards all others disciplines as inconsequential.
Howellfan

Post by Howellfan »

Hmmm - I think it's one of those things that, once the public gets past the misperceptions of 'furry' as a 'community', holds a great deal of innate general appeal at the conceptual level. Don't kill me for saying this, but in a way, I actually think that the existence of a self-defined furry 'community' actually may create something - for SOME - to 'get over' that shouldn't be an it' to get around in the first place. It's pretty silly. :roll:

And yes, Rocket Rackoon does look to be a be a quite awesome leap into the mainstream; Honestly, he's such an incarnation of the character so purely, properly 'Fur', that I really do almost winder if somebody at the studio isn't actively courting that subset of the fan-base! 8-)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Pladim wrote:Will it be completely main-stream or accepted?
Maybe at some point in the future, its on a good path right now, but all it takes is one negative event to happen to throw it all down the drain.
Maybe one day furries will become vox populi, but that everybody knows them is absolutely different to everybody thinking them acceptable. Let's face it, liking talking animals is rather childish.

As everything in life, one bad thing weights more, or at least eclipses a lot of good ones, and it doesn't help that many furries actually do fit the negative stereotypes!
Howellfan wrote:And yes, Rocket Rackoon does look to be a be a quite awesome leap into the mainstream; Honestly, he's such an incarnation of the character so purely, properly 'Fur', that I really do almost winder if somebody at the studio isn't actively courting that subset of the fan-base! 8-)
Animal characters like that have existed before the fandom. Why do I get the feeling a lot of people would consider themselves furries if it wasn't for the fact that they've never heard of the fandom in their lives?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I've rethought my definition of furry. If I define it the same way I define Whovian or Brony (both things I do consider myself), I think the amount of furry media I enjoy (and that I like anthropomorphic characters when they act like animals) qualifies me as a furry.

So Yeah, I'll go ahead and consider myself a furry.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Welcome to the herd(?), Brent! ^_^

I'm not sure I'd call Zootopia "similar to Robin Hood" except in its anthropomorphism and the species of the main protagonist. But heck if I'm not excited for it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

According to my definition of being furry, I'm still not considering as one because I'm not feeling as one. For now I don't vote, there's something I'm planning in my head, I'll see if it'll be realized and how it'll evolve...
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think the amount of furry media I enjoy (and that I like anthropomorphic characters when they act like animals) qualifies me as a furry.
Uhm, the same is happening to me. A very nice furry media which I've recently enjoyed a lot has been the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox. :)
Sleet wrote:I'm not sure I'd call Zootopia "similar to Robin Hood" except in its anthropomorphism and the species of the main protagonist. But heck if I'm not excited for it.
Zootopia and the fox character sound interesting, especially because it's by Disney, who wasn't caring anymore about make animation movies with talking animals.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:So Yeah, I'll go ahead and consider myself a furry.
Congrats. :P ;)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah it's sad how out of favor good, old-fashioned anthropomorphic animals have fallen. Even when we get furry movies it's stuff like Bolt that moves closer to the animal side of the spectrum.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

But Mickey Mouse and friends have been around for years and don't appear to be going away any time soon, either.

So, what was Goofy, again?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Silly Zealot wrote:But Mickey Mouse and friends have been around for years and don't appear to be going away any time soon, either.

So, what was Goofy, again?
Goofy?
Either he was originally a dog then became a cow, or vise versa
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

He... became a cow? :shock:

I thought he was a dog of some sorts.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah, he's always been a dog. I'm not sure where you got the idea of cow from, Crimson.
Welcome, by the way, Crimson!
Are you furry?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Krystedez

Post by Krystedez »

Herru everyone!

I'm a a furry. Silver / arctic fox hybrid to be exact ^^ Probably been one since I was 13... Jeeze.

Also, being a furry and being generally fond of animals in general has really made it easy to stay in touch with my younger self. I'm going to be 24 on the 8th next month and it's all such a blur, hehe..

How old are all of you guys/gals/others? I'm particularly interested because I wonder how many college-age people are furries and enjoy Housepets.

As a side note to my furriness, I draw, too. Though I CAN draw humans, I prefer to draw anthropomorphic creatures, beasts, cartoons, animals, characters, anything (I don't go as far as extra-terrestrial, though; too complicated)...

Stuff I draw:
My own characters
Wildlife
Scenery
Cartoon characters (Road Rovers, Robin Hood, Pokemon, Digimon come to mind X3)
Video game characters (LoL, ACNL, Starfox, anything)

In fact I'm at work and drawing Whitney from Animal Crossing right now, hehe.

Anyways, that's me.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Hlaoroo wrote:Yeah, he's always been a dog. I'm not sure where you got the idea of cow from, Crimson.
Welcome, by the way, Crimson!
Are you furry?
There was an old article in the 90's about some character ideas Disney wrote about but never went through. Like Mickey almost being named Mortimer ( I think). It has been a long while since I saw that article.

Well, I guess I am. I seem to keep showing up in Furry groups, and being interested by the culture. But I guess I can say that I am very new to it all (being a furry).
ShadowLightning wrote:He... became a cow? :shock:

He is a dog. Don't worry.

Anyway, since I did show up last night rather randomly.

I have considered myself a furry rather recently. Since I have been loving webcomics like housepets, browsing FA. But I don't know a lot about what it is to be a furry, or what having a fursona is about.

Edit: Sorry didn't know about the double post thing, it's an old habit. Will avoid it in the future. I believe I deleted the other post right.
RP Characters:
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Crimson wrote:
ShadowLightning wrote:He... became a cow? :shock:

He is a dog. Don't worry.
If he's a dog then what's Pluto? Just doesn't work...
Panda Panda Panda
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Pluto is a pet dog and Goofy is an anthropomorphic dog. Goofy was actually created as a human/anthro character and was intended as such whereas Pluto was always intended to be a pet. People joked about it not making sense in the past. There's a section in the Wikipedia article about Goofy on it.
Crimson wrote:I have considered myself a furry rather recently. Since I have been loving webcomics like housepets, browsing FA. But I don't know a lot about what it is to be a furry, or what having a fursona is about.
We use two definitions of furry here - either one whose enjoyment of art or media is enhanced by the inclusion of animals, especially anthropomorphic characters, or whatever other definition you personally choose to use.

Having a fursona isn't an essential part of being furry. You can be furry without having a fursona or you can have a fursona and not be furry. A fursona is just a way for a person to express who they are or a way to have fun or anonymity online.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Well in that case Hlaoroo. Then yes, I am a Furry.

But not entirely sure if I should be doing something more about that, I feel like if I am a furry I should get involved in something or some group if that makes sense.
RP Characters:
Krystedez

Post by Krystedez »

Crimson wrote:Well in that case Hlaoroo. Then yes, I am a Furry.

But not entirely sure if I should be doing something more about that, I feel like if I am a furry I should get involved in something or some group if that makes sense.
Having a fursona is not mandatory, but very fun and easy to interact with when you're involved in the community. You could just use your own personality/traits as a means to describe your fursona, even going as far as giving your character/avatar the same eye color, same likes/dislikes, etc, just in the body of an anthropomorphised animal of your choosing.

Or, you can create an OC (original character) that has traits you aspire to have, or appreciate, and roleplay as that character or use it to describe what you want to be perceived as.

Either way, having a fursona allows for a lot of enjoyable experiences with others, even if it's just describing it to them and then learning what the other person is about, aspires to be, or appreciates :)

Groups for furries exist in all mediums/social media/web forums. There's a Steam group, there's the art community (Furaffinity / Weasyl / InkBunny), there's groups everywhere, just gotta know waht you want to join and get into!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Krystedez wrote:You could just use your own personality/traits as a means to describe your fursona, even going as far as giving your character/avatar the same eye color, same likes/dislikes, etc, just in the body of an anthropomorphised animal of your choosing.
That's essentially what I've done. There's even a few in-jokes incorporated into my fursona that you wouldn't understand unless you knew me or my family quite well. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

my shapeshifting persona (the closest thing to a fursona I'll ever have) is just me with magic powers (maybe a bit more in shape).

so you can either make it you as an animal, or who you want to be as an animal.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Such a Mary Sue, Brent. :P
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Krystedez wrote:How old are all of you guys/gals/others? I'm particularly interested because I wonder how many college-age people are furries and enjoy Housepets.

Also, being a furry and being generally fond of animals in general has really made it easy to stay in touch with my younger self. I'm going to be 24 on the 8th next month and it's all such a blur, hehe..

As a side note to my furriness, I draw, too. Though I CAN draw humans, I prefer to draw anthropomorphic creatures, beasts, cartoons, animals, characters, anything...
I'm 25. Going to be 26 this November. Good greif, where do all those years go? I'm gonna have to start saying "21 again" :P

And yes I do some doodles myself, whenever an artistic mood hits me...which is not often. However, I am pretty good at drawing anthros / furries...havn't really drawn humans but I bet I'd suck at it. :P

But yeah I'm with ya, being a furry and generally fond of animals does help me stay in touch with my younger self. I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up. :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm 24 and have been a furry since I was 17.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'm 21, I've been reading furry webcomics since 2010, only just changed my definition of furry to one that includes me.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I'm 17, been a furry for four years now. :P
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

17? owo Really, Kyuubi? I thought you were older than that. :? Huh. Shows what I know. :P

How long have I been a furry? Hmmm...I guess I could say since the start of my teenage years, round about when I was 12 or 13...so that's 12 or 13 years actually. XD
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

I like to act mature. :lol:
Pladim

Post by Pladim »

I'm 18 myself, and I've been a furry for about 3 years, but only open about it for the past couple months.
I'm Blue daba dee daba die
Steps to Enlightenment brighten the way, but the stairs are steep, take them one at a time.
----------
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

I myself am only 21. Guess that seems to be an average age around here.
Also I was once denying it, but a friend three years ago made me an OC from a certain fandom. So I guess I have been a furry for about three years to.
RP Characters:
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I'm 15 and I've been a furry for about 3 years.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

I'm 104 and haven't been a furry for 90 years.

*party*
Just an Arc
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

My old age can be seen on my Profile and since when I am furry, I can't say. I name it that way since about a year but I was before already, I just didn't admit it to myself.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

I've identified myself online as an anthro character (furry) ever since I was in college and you were eight years old, Render (Thirty years!) . First I had many different screen names, from Justin Case to Wolvy to Sparky the Wonderdog, but usually as Wolvy but then later in the 1990s as ws6transam. Now I go by the name Tycho Aussie for most online stuff. Though I didn't know furry fandom even had a name until just a few years ago. However it's only one small aspect of who I am as an overall person.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
Krystedez

Post by Krystedez »

Just turned 24 and wow, I'm so glad I'm not the oldest of the bunch around here (fat chance with how big of a following Housepets has, hehe).

you guys are amazing ^^