Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 191

logo-writer-586

Re: Do You Consider Yourself a Furry?

Post by logo-writer-586 »

JeffCvt wrote:I... I'm sorry, but I don't understand that at all Logo. You seem to be missing some information that would make it much easier to figure out exactly what you're trying to communicate.
Huh, I am? :P Sorry :(

I'll explain what I wanted to say, then.
I wrote:I'm not a furry, but I like animals. They fascinate me as I have them as the perfect system this world has.
Humans tend to complicate things for other critical reasons, whereas animals are regulated by just Nature. That's why I admire them.
I wrote:Besides, what if I become an animal in my other life? What I think is that you're doing the same but a little too early.
Well, I suppossed you were acting like animals for being furry people. Is that true?
And now, do you believe in reincarnation? We won't know if I could become an animal in another life, but it seems you don't wait for that to happen (and that's because you furry people act like animals right now).
I wrote:Rare? How come?! Strange? Of course not!
In other words: I won't treat furries as differently as humans.
I wrote:And remember, on Babylon Gardens animals live together with humans. It could be the same here, but, for sure, you CAN buy your things and are citizens with full rights!
Finally, in the HP! story the animals aren't allowed to do some things. Unlike them, you can do whatever you want inside some respect limits (what I did is to compare this forum with Babylon Gardens: furry people are animals and the rest are humans).

I think I'm not missing anything :P I was just *too* elaborate.

I hope I've explained it well, JeffCvt. Waiting for your reply.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Logo, we have two definitions of "furry" that we use here on the forums. The first is "someone whose enjoyment of media is caused or enhanced by the presence of animals and/or anthropomorphic animals" and the second is "whatever definition suits you".

In my experience, rather than being people who act like animals, furries tend to be people who enjoy media featuring animals. Fursonas aren't necessarily about being an animal or acting like an animal either - for many furries they're about representing oneself as best one can or in a way in which one feels that certain facets of their personalities might be best expressed.

I describe myself as a furry because I enjoy all things animal-related, especially those related to anthropomorphic animals, and my fursona is merely the representation of myself that I choose to use online.

Some furries do choose to act just like animals all the time and some feel that they are actually animals and some take it a lot further but those are in the minority and we prefer to avoid mentioning them around here in order to keep things family-friendly.

For the most part, you'll find that furries are no different to Trekkies or Whovians or Bronies or members of any other fandom.

The whole idea of reincarnation has a lot of religious connotations attached and we generally discourage discussion of religion here in order to avoid controversy and debate and to keep the place friendly and welcoming for all.

I hope this helps clear things up for you but don't hesitate to ask if you've got any more questions. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Deske

Post by Deske »

Hlaoroo said it the best. His reason is the same reason that I say when people ask me about my Fursona. Drag in a bit of the "Person I wish I was," part and you've got it.
logo-writer-586

Got it Hlaoroo and Deske, I was thinking on people who take it for real... Huh, such a definition of "furry" leaves a wide scope to work with :o

About the incarnation thing, it was just a vehicle to explain logically the behaviour of those people. I don't want to attract controversy here :?

Huh, what you told me was stated in the first post (and I checked it before posting) :shock:
I should learn reading with Peanut... :mrgreen:

So the only thing I can say is...
I wrote:BE PROUD OF YOU! :D
Shall I delete the misunderstood post or keep it there for posterity?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yup. We deliberately do it that way because we don't want people to feel excluded or like they're being forced into categories.
logo-writer-586 wrote:
I wrote:
BE PROUD OF YOU! :D
Yup. :) Nothing wrong with being furry at all and likewise there's nothing wrong with not being furry. It's really just a label anyway. It's what you think of yourself that matters.
logo-writer-586 wrote:Shall I delete the misunderstood post or keep it there for posterity?
You won't be able to now that people have commented after you. If you want it gone though, just ask one of the NTC mods and they'll get rid of it for you. It's up to you what you want to do with it. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Deske

Post by Deske »

Don't delete it. We don't really judge here, and it's been sorted out. It'll be weird for that entire string of comments to not have a topic comment to latch onto. Or something.
logo-writer-586

OK, then, I'll edit it to add what I've learnt. Thanks, Hlaoroo and the rest for the tolerance. You are great people :)

EDIT: No deleting, just added a disclaimer at the top xD
Last edited by logo-writer-586 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Hlaoroo said it best and I also am much like how he defined it.

My Fursona in reality is just an online representation of myself. No more or less, it allows me to be able to act more comfortably.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
logo-writer-586

But it's interesting the way some people develop this affinity, isn't it?
Deske

Post by Deske »

I like how you aren't restricted to normal colors when creating a Fursona. Makes it a lot more unique, more you I guess.

100th post, yay anniversary. Image
Last edited by Deske on Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logo-writer-586

Yep, 'cause that's what identifies you :P

No more, no less xD

EDIT: And congrants!!!! xD
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's why my fursona is all the colors.

And glows in the dark.

And wears non-matching arm and leg warmers.

And has glowsticks for femurs.

And rainbow-colored eagle wings.

And a V6 engine.

And eleven tails.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You forgot the nuclear fusion reactor. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Deske

Post by Deske »

Really Sleet? REEEAAALLYY?

Only a V6.
herobrineharry

Post by herobrineharry »

Where are the lasers, gravity cannons, sound system, and 50 kilometer by 50 kilometer HDTV?
Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho'(though) the soldiers knew
  Some one had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
  Rode the six hundred.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Deske wrote:Really Sleet? REEEAAALLYY?

Only a V6.
Well yeah. Wouldn't want to overdo it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

The best way of define if someone is a furry, is to subdivide the definition in three main categories. Here's what I found. They're similar to my previous levelling considerations, and I agree with them.

Casual furries.
People who get to know about Furry and are only interested in a part of it, like the art. They haven't a fursona, don't care to have it or have built one or more characters for the role playing. Their characters can't have specified personalities. No fursuiting stuff for them.

Neutral furries.
Those who are part of the Furry Fandom, but aren't at the centre of the attention. They're somehow active in it making furry art stuff, are active in discussions and occasionally participate on dedicated events. They have one or more fursonas with defined personalities or with the own personality, like if it's an avatar. They may have a fursuit which use occasionally for fun.

Lifestyler furries.
For they the Furry it's their reality, a true passion. They love the dedicated events and conventions, and have an important part in them. Their fursonas are the representation of their ego, like they would be, a creature which grows and learns with them, having their same personality or even the opposite one. For them, the fursuiting is very important, and when they wear the fursuit of their fursonas, it's the best way to identify themselves in their ego and show it to the world.
JeffCvt wrote:You are a furry if you gain more enjoyment from something BECAUSE it has walking/talking animals VS something that does not.
It's mostly so with me... Ok, I understood, I'm a furry and stop, by this definition. :P But still, according to the feelings and to my way to see the thing, I'm not (yet) so.
Hlaoroo wrote:In my experience, rather than being people who act like animals, furries tend to be people who enjoy media featuring animals.
The same thing is with me also about this.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

I know awhile back I was always on this thread but I think then I was more obsessed with it I guess I am a furry I watch furry things on YouTube videos from diffurently there funny and I've seen the stuff by Cerberus like the rockoons and his other flash animations and I read furry comics I have read a lot by immelmann although his comics aren't entirely appropriate compared to house pets I got tail and ears but I rarely ever bring them out and I do sometimes browse furraffinity and deviant art
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

This maybe a small detail, but I been watching a lot of Lilo and Stitch the past couple of days.

While watching the English version of Stitch! (The Japanese Anime of Stitch), you'll notice that some episodes mention conventions, including Comic Con. That was awesome.

One of the conventions that sticks out in one episode is, indeed, a furry con. From Stitch to a upset Angel, no less. Wow. Disney acknowledged they exist. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I do a little bit. I roleplay with anthro characters but I'm not a fursuiter.
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

I'm a furry, a rat named Tam. I actually changed it to a rat a few days ago, beforehand I was a coyote wolf hybrid. Changes happen.
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
2fab4u

Post by 2fab4u »

No unfortunately tis a shame 'cause i cannot connect it think like the majority so no from me :|
Hello, the names Drake :)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Rats are a lot less common than canids anyway. Good for you. :3
2fab4u wrote:No unfortunately tis a shame 'cause i cannot connect it think like the majority so no from me :|
It's not a big deal to not share the same interests with everyone. You can still be friends!
Vegas

Post by Vegas »

Sleet wrote:Rats are a lot less common than canids anyway. Good for you. :3
That and we're adorable. :3
Avi colored by me. Lineart from here.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

so I just joined a facebook group for local furries and am planning to attend a furmeet if there's one I can get to easily. My furriness is getting stronger.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I'll say yes, but only online and only to a certain degree.
Scratch that - I myself bought the collar that Douglas wears. :P But still, not going to wear it. :roll: (unless maybe I'm completely alone with a lot of spare time)
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Ade Nightwolf

Post by Ade Nightwolf »

Yup, I do, not that you'd know on a day to day basis unless you were snooping through any paper I had to hand because I'm a chronic doodler. I tend to keep my furriness contained to places I know for sure will accept and encourage it.

Btw, totally agree with you about rats, Vegas, I've had a few pet ones over the years. They've so much more personality than most other rodents. Roly, Nova, Echo, Snow, Yuki, I miss you guys.
axelthefox

How has your family responded to you being furry?

Post by axelthefox »

Because it seems my family seems accepting and is promising to take me to FC sometime in the future.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so I just joined a facebook group for local furries and am planning to attend a furmeet if there's one I can get to easily. My furriness is getting stronger.
You cannot escape!
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:so I just joined a facebook group for local furries and am planning to attend a furmeet if there's one I can get to easily. My furriness is getting stronger.
One of us...one of us...*wags* heheh...
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Bucky-Roo wrote:
I didn't know kangaroos wagged their tails. :?: ;)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Bucky-Roo wrote:
I didn't know kangaroos wagged their tails. :?: ;)
Im not like other kangaroos, as you can see :lol:
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Just be careful where you swing that tail; somebody could get - *WUMP!*
*Gasp* the wind knocked out of 'em. XP
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Douglas Collier wrote:Just be careful where you swing that tail; somebody could get - *WUMP!*
Uggghhh, not again!
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Bucky-Roo wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:Just be careful where you swing that tail; somebody could get - *WUMP!*
Uggghhh, not again!
I don't suppose you'd ever think of getting it docked like mine is? :P
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Bucky-Roo wrote:
Uggghhh, not again!
I don't suppose you'd ever think of getting it docked like mine is? :P
Neveeerrr
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Bucky-Roo wrote:Neveeerrr
Probably not a great idea anyway. ;)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:
You cannot escape!
full honesty, it helped that a cute girl invited me to the meets :P
I think she had a boyfriend, but there are plenty of furs in the pile.

plus making new friends.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Sleet wrote:
You cannot escape!
full honesty, it helped that a cute girl invited me to the meets :P
I think she had a boyfriend, but there are plenty of furs in the pile.

plus making new friends.
Good for you! Good luck :D
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Stan Collier

Post by Stan Collier »

I can make it a positive thing like the example of Tycho Aussie, so yes. I would.
I like shorts. Shorts are comfy. Do you like shorts?

http://jmillart.deviantart.com/