Chat Thread 41: Mod Maker

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Re: Chat Thread 41: Mod Maker

Post by Jacey »

Seth wrote: It's not a big stage. Maybe 4-5 ft. off the ground. He was fine.
And yes, I love live music. Especially smaller local shows. Big concerts are cool but I really like seeing bands I grew up watching. I've been watching the band I saw tonight for seven years. I don't make every show of course but I try to see them as much as possible.
Eh, sorry for asking if it was funny. I couldn't tell if that might have been a reason for saying it.
I my self love listening to soundtrack music, such as The Hobbit soundtrack. I don't get many chances to see live bands. The only major band I have followed for about ten years or so, do not seem to show up in my area.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Crimson wrote:
Seth wrote: It's not a big stage. Maybe 4-5 ft. off the ground. He was fine.
And yes, I love live music. Especially smaller local shows. Big concerts are cool but I really like seeing bands I grew up watching. I've been watching the band I saw tonight for seven years. I don't make every show of course but I try to see them as much as possible.
Eh, sorry for asking if it was funny. I couldn't tell if that might have been a reason for saying it.
I my self love listening to soundtrack music, such as The Hobbit soundtrack. I don't get many chances to see live bands. The only major band I have followed for about ten years or so, do not seem to show up in my area.
That's too bad. Having a good local music scene is just something I kind of lucked into. But it definitely makes my life more interesting.
I like your music taste. I don't hear that as people's go to genre a lot. I work with a lot of music majors this summer so I've been hearing more orchestral and/or soundtrack stuff. I'm starting to appreciate it more.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

[quote="Seth]that's too bad. Having a good local music scene is just something I kind of lucked into. But it definitely makes my life more interesting.
I like your music taste. I don't hear that as people's go to genre a lot. I work with a lot of music majors this summer so I've been hearing more orchestral and/or soundtrack stuff. I'm starting to appreciate it more.[/quote]
Well thank you for liking my taste in music. To me there is something rather relaxing about orchestral pieces. Though I started enjoying this stuff after finding some rather well done video game music played by the London Philharmonic.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you like local type bands, if you're ever in St. Louis, see if I'm performing around then! ^_^

Also, I really appreciate you defending me, Diss. But if someone's more comfortable calling me "it," that's fine. I'm not actually a gender nonbinary person, so "improper" pronouns aren't really offensive to me. This does not mean that it's always okay to refer to people as "it". It just means that I, personally, don't mind. I prefer he/she alternation, but if you don't want to do that, it's not a big deal.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Sleet wrote:If you like local type bands, if you're ever in St. Louis, see if I'm performing around then! ^_^
And if somebody sees you there, the he/she thing is clear for this person. :D
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Yeah, because finding Sleet amidst 2.5-2.6 million people may not be easy. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

If you did your research, you'd know that it's not actually that hard to find him. Like most St. Louis residents, you can clearly see her from the top of the Gateway Arch.
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey if I were actually meeting up with someone, I'd make myself findable.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

*le gasp!* someone would know Sleets gender?! :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

some of us already do.
I do not however know how good she is as a musician, I've never heard his work.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I assume hearing Sleet's work would give away his gender, assuming she's a singer, so it would make sense that he doesn't share her music with us. Plus that could give away his identity if she's well-known for performing but given that he does perform, I think it's a given that she must be fairly reasonable at least.

Does anybody else have the problem, or perhaps privilege might be a better word, that they're so active that by the time they finish commenting on one thread or PM another one has popped up to take its place? Tends to be in the afternoon that it happens for me.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

This Friday, two of my friends and I are getting together and are recording some video games for our Youtube channels.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:I assume hearing Sleet's work would give away his gender, assuming she's a singer, so it would make sense that he doesn't share her music with us. Plus that could give away his identity if she's well-known for performing but given that he does perform, I think it's a given that she must be fairly reasonable at least.
I believe Sleet plays bass. and is not well known for performing, at least not in wide circles.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I thought Sleet had some clones to help him make a full band? You know, to keep her presence even mooooore mysterious. *waterfall blooping sounds*

I'd love to hear him play, or any other small local bands. I even had fun listening to this one group of buskers performing in the streets of Bukit Bintang, KL. Very hard to find them outside bars though, and I don't do bars.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

almost all musicians here perform outside coffee shops. Our Starbucks has more music playing than most concerts. :lol:
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:I assume hearing Sleet's work would give away his gender, assuming she's a singer, so it would make sense that he doesn't share her music with us. Plus that could give away his identity if she's well-known for performing but given that he does perform, I think it's a given that she must be fairly reasonable at least.
I believe Sleet plays bass. and is not well known for performing, at least not in wide circles.
Bass Guitar or Bass Violin? owo
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

The Blue Fox wrote:Bass Guitar or Bass Violin? owo
sea bass
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

kurowolfe wrote:I thought Sleet had some clones to help him make a full band? You know, to keep her presence even mooooore mysterious. *waterfall blooping sounds*

I'd love to hear him play, or any other small local bands. I even had fun listening to this one group of buskers performing in the streets of Bukit Bintang, KL. Very hard to find them outside bars though, and I don't do bars.
You should try it. Some bars are great venues. I used to frequent a local bar for shows when I was underage. Even now that I'm 21 I still don't really drink at shows. If you go strictly for the music a bar is just another building, albeit one with more drunk people :P
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Bass guitar.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Bass isn't actually my primary instrument. I'm a keyboardist, followed by a percussionist, followed by a bassist. I'm also working on making EDM as well as singing, so we'll see where that goes.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I was going to say drums, but I decided to just say bass.
apparently that was even less correct.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Cool. You're a fox of many talents, Sleet.

*googles* Hmm... Don't know that EDM is really my style of music. Oh well. Each to their own. ;)

Did you teach yourself all those instruments, Sleet, or have you had lessons?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

What does EDM even stand for? owo Electro Dark Music? Something like that? Or does it just not stand for anything? :?

*googles...*

Oooh. Electronic Dance Music. Okay that makes sense. Yeah, that kinda music could appeal to my tastes coz I got a few electronic tunes and quite a lot of stompy dance tunes in my personal playlist. :mrgreen:
Last edited by The Blue Fox on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

From wikipedia:
Electronic dance music (also known as EDM, dance music, club music, or simply dance) is a set of percussive electronic music genres produced primarily for dance-based entertainment environments, such as nightclubs. The music is largely created for use by disc jockeys (DJs) and is produced for use in DJ mixes, in which the DJ uses a synchronized segue, or "mix," to progress from one recording to the next.[1]
I prefer jazz or swing myself.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's often referred less-accurately as "electronic(a)" or, even less accurately, "techno." "Electronic" is far too broad a term, since electronics are used in a lot of different styles of music. "Techno" is far too narrow, actually referring to one particular style of EDM out of many. Some people still mistakenly refer to the whole class of genres as "techno," similar to old people calling video game consoles "Nintendos." :P

And swing is a subclass of jazz, Hlaoroo. I like jazz too, though I'm virtually worthless at it with any instrument but keyboards. I could probably play fusion drums, stylistically speaking, but I lack the technical skill needed to be a good fusion drummer.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I was going to say drums, but I decided to just say bass.
apparently that was even less correct.
Well bass is what I primarily play in my band, so I have a lot more exposure as a bassist than anything else.
Hlaoroo wrote:Did you teach yourself all those instruments, Sleet, or have you had lessons?
I took private piano lessons, I took percussion in school from 6th through 12th grades, and I taught myself the bass.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I listed to EDM music since 10 years, and rarely even the years before. In the latest years it became the only music genre which I listen, and got specialized avoiding the commercial stuff (EDM is now ruling this scene), but sometimes there's a track which I find very good. At the moment, the most diffused and produced genres of EDM in Europe are the House ones, then Dubstep and Drum & Bass. In the US they're being more popular too, aren't them?
With the Electronic Dance Music name is called a large variant of music made with computer and electronic instruments with the finality to be danced and played in clubs. Yes, it's generally called Electronic, Electronica or Techno music (in some cases even Dubstep!), which is so wrong. Those are names of other different genres (Dubstep, Techno and Electronica are part of EDM, though).
Hlaoroo wrote:I prefer jazz or swing myself.
Never liked such genres... The only exception would be the songs by Mario Biondi.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was musically clueless most of my life, as far as listening goes. I rarely listened to music, even if I studied playing it myself! When I was around 16 I started jumping into rock blindly and eventually became pretty well versed in the style. I learned more about jazz in college (it was a big part of my music minor), and I'm just now starting to get into EDM. I'm pretty clueless but I'm gradually learning. It helps that I have some very knowledgeable friends to help me along!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I did a little piano in primary school but I dropped it in favour of saxophone when I got to high school. Learning saxophone was what got me into jazz. I love all jazz, but swing is my favourite style of jazz which was why I mentioned it there.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

So, the blanket term is EDM? I couldn't even fathom how many different sub-genres, sub-sub-genres, or even spinoff from the original concept. Thanks again to Touhou (which I think no one else here would understand), I got exposed to the plethora of these kinds or music of which I had harboured a deep hatred for initially. After a while, I've grown to enjoy them, even the nu-gabber, happycore, new age etc etc etc. Just not G-major remixes. Those things come straight from the Underworld to torture your ears till they bleed...

My first love in music will always be the oldies though. Music from the 70s and 80s I would always give time to listen to, even if I never get to know who sang them. And the Corrs. Man, I love them Celtic/Irish music!

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I like some jazz, ragtime and dixieland mostly.
I grew up hearing a lot of Pink Floyd, Ramones, The Who, and Lou Reed.
Panda Panda Panda
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I never had a chance to be classy with my music taste. I grew up in a metal family. My formative musical experiences were things like borrowing my dad's copy of Cowboys from Hell and listening to rob Zombie with my dad.
Now I'm kinda repaying him by getting him into some punk bands. He accidentally downloaded my rancid albums off his computer and he asked to borrow my minor threat CD once so he could listen to it while he did dishes.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

So metal is not classy? Who gets to decide whether a music is classy or not? I find it funny that people call hardcore metal 'trash' and classical 'classy', when back in Mozart's time, he composed and performed songs while being drunk and raunchy. Those classicals back then were regarded like how we see pop music nowadays.

Still, same case here. I grew up listening to Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, back when she was still good. And those oldies I mentioned earlier.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think metal can't be classy. I don't think there's a difference between "art music" and "popular music." Art music is just popular music that has been around long enough for people to figure out how to do well and has lost enough mainstream popularity that people won't tolerate bad music from anymore. Waltzes used to be huge, played in all the popular ballrooms, and even were considered evil by much of the older generation. I can almost guarantee you that some parties had some awful bands playing awfully-written waltzes and the guests tolerated it because it was what was in. It's not really that different from, say, hip-hop today. A hundred from now, when no one will even remember the name "Soulja Boy," I'm sure hip-hop will be seen as a classy genre too, because the only people who still make hip-hop in that future know what they're doing, and there's no social pressure to be making "today's big thing" that enables mediocrity to be met with success.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'd disagree with that. Metal/ punk/ hardcore is generally viewed as a lower form of music. That's just how it is on a broader societal level. Many people can't get past the image/ the style to see how much talent it takes to play it. That image is kind of embraced by bands in those genres (I remember seeing a band whose merch has the slogan "Ugly music by ugly people") so it just kind of sticks. It's not really fair but I think that most of the bands that get lumped into the loud/ angry/ screamy camp are perfectly content to run with it. I must admit that while I don't mind when metal/ punk/ hardcore bands get more mainstream exposure there is something fun about being into a scene that is seen as something for the "Bad kids".
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Well, in that case, I can't really argue with those statements then. I loved the variety and diversity of genres embraced by the Japanese indie music groups, and I certainly liked the fact that not many people outside these circles would ever hear of them, let alone listen to their tracks. Y'know, groups like FloatingCloud, dBu, TAMUSIC, MORRIGAN, Tutti Sounds, Mohican Sandbag, KINZOK-ON etc etc. Okay, now I'm just teasing, so sue me ;p

Back to the metal scene, to be honest, as someone who's been a goody-two-shoes throughout his school years, the bad boy image was certainly a turn-off for me. Only when I overcome that initial hurdle though was I able to appreciate the subtle brilliance behind all that blasting sounds xD Death metal is still kinda iffy for me though, the singing I could only parse as 'hellish moaning and husky grunting'.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I disagree with you both. I think taste in music as with many other things is purely subjective and therefore, by definition, there is no such thing as "classy" music or "lower forms" or music except for in one's own definition or opinion as one relates the music to oneself.

Personally I can't stand listening to rap or any kind of metal but that doesn't mean it's not good music.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I don't consider myself to be musically inclined, even as just a fan of music. Neither of my parents really listened to music at all. It was when I was when I was 9-10 that my friends dad introduced me to his favorite band Boston, and since then they have been my favorite band. I've also favored rock/metal music since then. It's not the vibes of the scene that attract me to it so much as the articulation of struggles that the artist have overcome or still deal with that are mentioned in the songs they write. I also like(prefer) the classic heavy sound that rock bands had in the late 70's through early 90's. It's... invigorating.I don't see metal as a genre for un-sophisticated imbeciles (not classy or whatever). Many metal bands are very eclectic and creative with their sounds. Yes, it can be loud and sometimes repulsive sounding, but many artist have their personal reasons to express that through their music. Kind of like therapy, but extreme.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Hlaoroo wrote:I disagree with you both. I think taste in music as with many other things is purely subjective and therefore, by definition, there is no such thing as "classy" music or "lower forms" or music except for in one's own definition or opinion as one relates the music to oneself.
Well I'd agree with that. But that doesn't mean that certain aspects of society don't look down upon those genres. It's just an unfortunate reality. I would be willing to bet just about anything I would get a lot less weird looks wearing merchandise from a jazz band than I do for wearing my Napalm Death hoodie.
kurowolfe wrote: Back to the metal scene, to be honest, as someone who's been a goody-two-shoes throughout his school years, the bad boy image was certainly a turn-off for me. Only when I overcome that initial hurdle though was I able to appreciate the subtle brilliance behind all that blasting sounds xD Death metal is still kinda iffy for me though, the singing I could only parse as 'hellish moaning and husky grunting'.
That's fair enough. It always amazes me how some bands get their fans by putting music that assaults the listener. I've often wondered why I like that kind of music and I haven't found a reason yet. It's just something that resonates with me for whatever reason. But I can certainly see why it's a bit of a niche.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:I'd disagree with that. Metal/ punk/ hardcore is generally viewed as a lower form of music. That's just how it is on a broader societal level. Many people can't get past the image/ the style to see how much talent it takes to play it. That image is kind of embraced by bands in those genres (I remember seeing a band whose merch has the slogan "Ugly music by ugly people") so it just kind of sticks. It's not really fair but I think that most of the bands that get lumped into the loud/ angry/ screamy camp are perfectly content to run with it. I must admit that while I don't mind when metal/ punk/ hardcore bands get more mainstream exposure there is something fun about being into a scene that is seen as something for the "Bad kids".
It's viewed that way, yes. But they're wrong. While those bands can make artistically meaningless music, it's entirely ridiculous to paint with such broad strokes.
Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Hlaoroo wrote:I disagree with you both. I think taste in music as with many other things is purely subjective and therefore, by definition, there is no such thing as "classy" music or "lower forms" or music except for in one's own definition or opinion as one relates the music to oneself.

Personally I can't stand listening to rap or any kind of metal but that doesn't mean it's not good music.
I don't really like rap either. Though, I see it more like violence themed poetry with sound effects. Still, I have to respect how fast some of those people can talk.

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Rapping is just one style of vocal delivery. It can be done well, it can be done poorly, and a lot of mainstream hip-hop songs (the genre where rapping is featured most heavily) tend to have the lyrics be really violent and stupid.