Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Tell us about your Username

Post by Hlaoroo »

Cool.
What's Nachlang then? Sounds German.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Deske

Post by Deske »

Hey Hlaoroo I've been meaning to ask how do you pronounce your name?
Lang

Post by Lang »

Hlaoroo wrote:Cool.
What's Nachlang then? Sounds German.
You are correct, and it's hard to explain, the simplest description I guess would be something that resonates or echoes. Like an effect of an passed sound or action returned.
Last edited by Lang on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Hlaoroo wrote:What's Nachlang then? Sounds German.
Nachklang is German and means reverberation or lingering sound.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Render wrote:
So like an echo, then?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Lang

Post by Lang »

Douglas Collier wrote:
Render wrote:
So like an echo, then?
Like a echo, but faster in reflection time creating a succession of echoes that is almost instantaneous to the individual.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I think reverberation would be the closest word in English then. I love those difficult to translate terms. Makes you realise how inadequate English is sometimes. :P

My name, Hlaoroo, is from the book Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's a Lapine word (Lapine being the language of the rabbits in the book) which is the name of one of the rabbits and which means a small depression or a little wooden bowl, or Pipkin. Pipkin was one of my favourite characters so I borrowed the name when I couldn't get the name Hrairoo working on here. And yes, I am the same Hrairoo or Hrairoo5er that used to pop up in the comments section on the website from time to time.

As to how it's pronounced, well you'd have to ask Adams for the proper pronunciation but how I do it is a sort of breath before the L and then a like apple, then ow like cow and then roo like kangaroo. You can hear me say it in my Ice Bucket Challenge video at about 5-6 seconds in.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Deske

Post by Deske »

Hah, I always said it with a silent L. Makes better sense now though. And I'm afraid to say I've never actually seen you in the comments. The only one I can place from the forums to the comments is Argent.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah, I wasn't there very often. Just on the odd occasion. :P I'm not surprised you don't remember me.

You know, I'm actually considering changing my username here to Furrhan or Furrhan Blackwood since that's my fursona and I use it basically everywhere except here because I made this account before I made Furrhan.
On the other hand, I've gotten very used to calling myself Roo and I don't really mind it...

So what do you guys think:
Change my name or stay as Roo?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Hlaoroo wrote:Yeah, I wasn't there very often. Just on the odd occasion. :P I'm not surprised you don't remember me.

You know, I'm actually considering changing my username here to Furrhan or Furrhan Blackwood since that's my fursona and I use it basically everywhere except here because I made this account before I made Furrhan.
On the other hand, I've gotten very used to calling myself Roo and I don't really mind it...

Maybe you could combine them? (Furroo or Furrlaoroo) :P ;)

Either way would be fine. On the one hand, I like the way Hlaoroo sounds. On the other hand, Furrhan is true to your fursona (and it doesn't sound all that bad either).
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Hlaoroo wrote:As to how it's pronounced, well you'd have to ask Adams for the proper pronunciation but how I do it is a sort of breath before the L and then a like apple, then ow like cow and then roo like kangaroo.
Oh, nice to know. I always pronounced it similar, just not with ow but only o.
Hlaoroo wrote:You know, I'm actually considering changing my username here to Furrhan or Furrhan Blackwood since that's my fursona and I use it basically everywhere except here because I made this account before I made Furrhan.

We are all used to Hlaoroo, but some also know you with the name Furrhan. I'm very fine with both.

But you changed very much into Furrhan, away from the little bunny you started with. I think it's only consequent to change the name to Furrhan or even Furrhan Blackwood.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

If you do decide to go with Furrhan, I'd go without the Blackwood - take it from me, it's not fun to type the whole name whenever you have to log back in. ;)
Hlaoroo wrote: As to how it's pronounced, well you'd have to ask Adams for the proper pronunciation but how I do it is a sort of breath before the L and then a like apple, then ow like cow and then roo like kangaroo.
Ah, so that's how it's pronounced. I was pronouncing the "ao" like the "eo" in Beowulf. ;)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah, Furrhan is a lot more personal to me. And I have changed a lot from where I started on the forums.

I would be sad to see Hlaoroo go though. I catch myself signing things on FurAffinity and elsewhere with Roo sometimes.
Douglas Collier wrote: Maybe you could combine them? (Furroo or Furrlaoroo) :P ;)

Either way would be fine. On the one hand, I like the way Hlaoroo sounds. On the other hand, Furrhan is true to your fursona.
I'm not really sure how to combine them in a way I like. I don't really want to touch "Furrhan Blackwood" since I like the name like that. But if I use Roo as a nickname then that just feels like tacking something on... It's a good idea though...
Douglas Collier wrote:If you do decide to go with Furrhan, I'd go without the Blackwood - take it from me, it's not fun to type the whole name whenever you have to log back in. ;)
That's what copy/paste is for. :P
I've used FurrhanB on Twitter. I could do something similar here...
Douglas Collier wrote: Ah, so that's how it's pronounced. I was pronouncing the "ao" like Beowulf. ;)
I've no idea if I pronounce it right. I just do it the way I do it. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Douglas Collier

Hlaoroo wrote:That's what copy/paste is for. :P
I've used FurrhanB on Twitter. I could do something similar here...
Didn't think about that. Yeah, I would recommend going with the whole last name if you decide to incorporate it. ;)
Lang

Post by Lang »

I wouldn't change your username unless your truly done with it and want to move on, otherwise you'll face some painful regrets. I had a much different username 7 or so years ago and it took a long time going back and forth before I was able to let go.

It's gotta come from truly wanting to change otherwise you're probably fine using 1-2 names on different sites. Human emotion and attachment can be a tough pickle.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Before Housepets I'd never settled on a username cause I only ever used them for logging in and never for long-term socialization. (Some of my old accounts are under Spike_The_Red, I think, cause I like the name Spike and the color red)
then I found Housepets, chose a username for the comments section (I wanted to d the whole "generic username" joke then ruin it by adding my real name so I went with SomeRandomGeekNamedBrent) then had to shorten it for the forums. Now people know me online by this name so now all of my accounts are some form of that comment section one, either my forum name or SomeRandomGeek. Also occasionally Rangent which has letters from my username for if I need a short name.

also, if you change it I'm still calling you Roo. I stick with whatever name I get to know you by first, unless asked to stop.

and just as a reminder, you need an admin to change your username.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for the reminder, Brent.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions, guys.

I've decided I will stay as Hlaoroo, for now at least. ;) Maybe in a few more years time I might consider changing again but for now I think I'll stay as I am. ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

It would be trippy of Brent's actual name wasn't Brent.
Just an Arc
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Hlaoroo wrote:I've decided I will stay as Hlaoroo, for now at least. ;) Maybe in a few more years time I might consider changing again but for now I think I'll stay as I am. ^^
That's fully okay, little bunny. *hugs*

Image Image
ImageImageImage
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Well, it isn't much of a story :lol: It is based off my first fursona when I joined the furry fandom, Sergei. I have kinda retired him as one of my fursonas, but he is still one of my favorite ones :D
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

A nice fox. :D

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is a great picture by the way.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Thanks :D . I have more, but I think that was one of the better ones.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

My username was based on perhaps the worse joke I've ever thought of: what do you call a winged mammal with witty thoughts regarding the parcel theory? A dry idea bat (= dry adiabat... Wakka Wakka!)... But you know what, I'm running with it! In fact, here's a picture to pretty much kill this joke once and for all.
Attachments
Dry Idea Bat.jpeg
Dry Idea Bat.jpeg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 21857 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

*throws oversize tomato at Fozzy dryideabat*
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:*throws oversize tomato at Fozzy dryideabat*
Ha-ha, nice try! You think that will deter me? I eat fruit for breakfast.

*Enter Ozzy Osbourne with two slices of bread*

Oh boy...
Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

So for me Timon comes from my favorite Disney franchise of all time The Lion King! including 2&1/2 not to mention the tv show and I've even seen the broadway performance as well so it has a big place with me and Timon happened to be one of my favorite characters as a kid, so i thought "why not?" and started using that as a primary username.
The "64" comes from the anime Naruto actually. As a pre-teen one of my favorite characters other than Sasuke Uchiha was Neji Hyuga..... :cry: ...anyways yeah and his signature move "8 Trigrams 64 Palms!" was always so cool to watch on the big screen, with the yin/yang symbols and everything. Soon enough I started doing it lightly on my siblings much to their annoyance :lol: but yeah I use 64 with everything now.
Oh and this Tarot pic is here because, you guessed it Tarot is my favorite housepet character! Sweet Pomeranian is sweet! :D
Last edited by Timon64 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....Count on it!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like bats and I like dumb puns, so your name checks out with me, Dry Idea Bat.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Timon64 wrote:So for me Timon comes from my favorite Disney franchise of all time The Lion King! including 2&1/2
Nathan Lane was great as Timon! Did you know he originally auditioned as a hyena? So did the gentleman whose name escapes me that played Pumbaa. It's nice to pay homage to such a great character with your username. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Timon64

Post by Timon64 »

Hlaoroo wrote: Nathan Lane was great as Timon! Did you know he originally auditioned as a hyena? So did the gentleman whose name escapes me that played Pumbaa. It's nice to pay homage to such a great character with your username. :)
Really now? Wow the more ya know...
To think good ole Timon&Pumbaa might have been jerkish hyenas, glad that didn't happen they're too lovable for that :lol: , plus the tv show wouldn't have been as great ;)
And thanks my thoughts exactly! :)
....Count on it!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In the animated series, Timon was voiced by three actors: Nathan Lane, Quinton Flynn and Kevin Schon. Nathan Lane voiced him in the films, The Lion King Animated Storybook and Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable. Kevin Schon also voiced him in House of Mouse and The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure. Bruno Lanoil voiced him in Kingdom Hearts II and the Wild about Safety shorts.

Pumbaa was always voiced by Ernie Sabella
dryideabat

Post by dryideabat »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Pumbaa was always voiced by Ernie Sabella
Ernie Sabella... Funny how he had previously played the naked man on the subway in that one episode of Seinfeld. Anyway, I love the story of Kimba- er I mean Simba. It's Hamlet meets Bambi in Africa.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

One would have never guessed that Timon was voiced by three different actors because they all sound the same.
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

dryideabat wrote:My username was based on perhaps the worse joke I've ever thought of: what do you call a winged mammal with witty thoughts regarding the parcel theory? A dry idea bat (= dry adiabat... Wakka Wakka!)... But you know what, I'm running with it! In fact, here's a picture to pretty much kill this joke once and for all.
*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasp*

Thermodynamics pun!
Just an Arc
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

My username was created a little over three years ago. When I made it, my favorite color was yellow, and my nickname was "crash" because I kept tripping on things all the time. The 10 is just a random number I came up with.
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

My name is unoriginal. It used the first letter of my first name, David, the first letter of my second name, Thomas, and the first 3 letters of my last name, you don't get that one. It was my first username ever (dtlux). My mom made it for me when she signed me up for Webkinz years ago.

I don't know when the 1 got added, or why I added it. The last thing I used the name dtlux for was Geocahing. After that I added the 1 myself. Adding the 1 probably had something to do with the fact that dtlux is some kind of Spanish magazine, or the fact that I wanted my own name, and not one my mom gave me. Maybe also for the reason that I thought it sounded cooler, and I saw other people with numbers in their names. I also have other variations I use for some reason, like 14 for Steam (I made it when I was 14), 2 for Deviantart (there was a 1, but I forgot the password), and 123 for Skype (No idea why, I think it wouldn't allow just 1).

I like this name, and don't think I am going to change it for anything I am on anytime soon. It is the same one I have had all my life, and to be honest, I can't think of any other name that I could use.

Also, no caps, Dtlux, because I think dtlux looks better. I get lectured for that a lot, and I hate the sites that automatically made the D capital.
Civilization

Re: How did you come up with your username?

Post by Civilization »

Mine is based off the game series and my love for civilization (ruled by ferrets).
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'll be sure to make sure that never happens then. xP
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

My suspicions were correct! I loved playing Civ 3 though I had little understanding of the game, I usually devolved into building up a 100 strong stack and steam-rolling anything in my way. Good times. :) Edit: moved with help of mod so context is lost.

Now! For a more on topic paragraph so I don't get tut tutted by the mods. My username is a shortening of my made up pseudonym back in Gr 9 when I attempting to make my own fictional universe. That which is, Whozjamazigits. Which happens to also be my FA username.
Last edited by Whozjama on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All your acorns are belong to us.
Czukay

Post by Czukay »

So Czukay came from music. A krautrock (yes that is an actual genre, not intending that as derogatory) band called CAN has a member named Holger Czukay, and I kinda stole his last name, that's all.
Elsewhere I use the name Marz, because that's the first four letters of my last name, Marzullo (Yes, I am Italian. Sicilian to be exact... "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" :3 )
Now that I think about it... If I could change my name to be something more... Original it would probably be Kestan, which was the name of a character in a book I'm writing... But in my fanfic Czukay would still be Czukay and I would be Kestan. (Am I rambling? I should probably stop now)
Here's a video with Holger Czukay, and yes he does say his name in it, and that's how you pronounce it :P
Feel free to call me Czu for short. The games on this forum are pretty neat.