The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Silly Zealot

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Lately I have been in the mood for Italian and Spanish horror films. I have watched "Tombs of the Blind Dead", "Return of the Blind Dead", "House By The Cemetery", "Manhattan Baby" and "The Beyond".
What? No Rec.?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

More westerns!
Duck You Sucker aka A Fistful of Dynamite and Once Upon a Time... the Revolution. An overlooked masterpiece by Sergio Leone, the same man who directed the Dollars trilogy (aka Man With No Name trilogy). If you enjoyed any of Leone's previous films, I highly recommend this.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Lately I have been in the mood for Italian and Spanish horror films. I have watched "Tombs of the Blind Dead", "Return of the Blind Dead", "House By The Cemetery", "Manhattan Baby" and "The Beyond".
What? No Rec.?
I don't own a copy of "Rec."
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Liam

Post by Liam »

Dang, Elysium isn't shown at my local cinema before the 14th. :[
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I saw pacific rim twice on the British film institutes IMAX screen( which is insanely big). Best movie of the summer by far. The last movie that blew my mind like that was predator when i saw it back in middle school.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I tried to see that but it wasn't in any theaters at the time we were going. We just saw The Heat instead.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That's too bad. If its still in theatres you should go see it!
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
ZombieRaptor

Post by ZombieRaptor »

Just finished watching The Sea of Monsters, it wasn't at all good •-• I wouldn't recommend watching it
I'm squeedly weedly weird.
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

Somebody *finally* leaked the Guardians of the Galaxy footage shown at Comic-Con. I won't link to it for a number of reasons, but if you want to see an anthro raccoon looking viscous and firing a big gun, get Googling! I have been a Rocket Raccoon fan for...decades? With this movie my life will be fulfilled!!!!
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

So yeah, I just saw Pacific Rim. And, wow. Just wow.

Definitely go see it if you like action movies. Or mechs. Or giant monsters. Or anything cool.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:That's too bad. If its still in theatres you should go see it!
The Heat was pretty good, at least!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sleet wrote:
Seth wrote:That's too bad. If its still in theatres you should go see it!
The Heat was pretty good, at least!
Perhaps. Just not my cup of tea. Robots fighting giant monsters is more up my alley.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Going to see The Wolverine soon. Saw R.I.P.D. Wasn't what I expected. It felt way too much like Men in Black with a few charming moments of funny, but for the most part felt like it was trying to copy Men In Black.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Wolverine's pretty good.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Wolverine's pretty good.
Then i'll be very happy <3
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Its nothing special. Good comic book movie though
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Fail Safe was pretty good, it probably would've been best if I didn't watch Dr. Strangelove first.
Panda Panda Panda
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Saw A monster in Paris/Un monstre à Paris, I was pleasantly surprised! Really good movie, Francoeur is such a goofy character.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I saw KA2 last night. I'm not sure why critics hated it so much.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've been debating whether or not to see it. I don't know if it'll work without nic cage. He made the first one for me.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing "Lee Daniels" The Butler and wow... It was really good!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Forgot to mention that Wolverine was very impressive. The fighting in this was very fun to watch. Can't wait for more Marvel movies. =3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Seth wrote:I've been debating whether or not to see it. I don't know if it'll work without nic cage. He made the first one for me.
Not very often do I hear that about him with any movie. :P
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm usually not a fan but I just really liked him in that role
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

So, I saw Elysium yesterday. It was good. As subtle as a freight train, but good.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I loved KA2
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Last movie I saw was Kick-*** 2. Awesome fight scenes, not as good as the first one and really didn't like the typical highschool queen i've seen forty million times before but definitely worth seeing.

Also, saw Unbreakable on Netflix.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Radio Blue Heart

I just got a copy of "Phantasm 2" on amazon. If you have not seen the original "Phantasm", I highly recommend it.

And I just had to share this with someone!

The Soviet version of "The Hobbit"!

It was produced for Soviet television in 1985. It is just so bizarre and wonderful! I especially loved Smaug!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Just finished watching Big Trouble in Little China with my brother. It was his first time seeing it. Such an awesome movie!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Re: Elysium,

story-wise it's less ambitious than District 9 with it's being set in LA (albeit one changed beyond recognition) and a purely fictional place instead of a real-world location that usually isn't granted much screentime, with it's protagonist definitely having more moral integrity (an old-school hero who wants to do the right thing rather than a pathetic cog of the corrupt system) and with it's allegory presented on the nose (no aliens of exotic nature acting as stand-ins here), but...

...that really doesn't spoil the fun. It's a fast-paced action romp from the beginning to the end and such a visual delight seeing all the lovingly designed robots and other props. They went to great pains making them look like real robots and lived-in, makeshift environments instead of going the easy "looks like a plastic action figure/toy set straight from the factory" CG route, giving the film a nice used future look (except for the intentionally squeaky clean and styled Elysium).

And it just has to be said, Blomkamp gets shaky cam. At no point it makes you go dizzy and adds once more a gritty (war) documentary feel to the action like in D9. Not to mention, the baddies getting their good ol' comeuppance never loses its cathartic qualities.

I give it four out of five powered exoskeletons. :3

Oh, and Wikus has become one of the mercs from D9. @_@ Complete with South America as their origin as indicated by their accents and flag on their spaceship as well as a similar team logo.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Liam wrote:Re: Elysium,

story-wise it's less ambitious than District 9 with it's being set in LA (albeit one changed beyond recognition) and a purely fictional place instead of a real-world location that usually isn't granted much screentime, with it's protagonist definitely having more moral integrity (an old-school hero who wants to do the right thing rather than a pathetic cog of the corrupt system) and with it's allegory presented on the nose (no aliens of exotic nature acting as stand-ins here), but...

...that really doesn't spoil the fun. It's a fast-paced action romp from the beginning to the end and such a visual delight seeing all the lovingly designed robots and other props. They went to great pains making them look like real robots and lived-in, makeshift environments instead of going the easy "looks like a plastic action figure/toy set straight from the factory" CG route, giving the film a nice used future look (except for the intentionally squeaky clean and styled Elysium).

And it just has to be said, Blomkamp gets shaky cam. At no point it makes you go dizzy and adds once more a gritty (war) documentary feel to the action like in D9. Not to mention, the baddies getting their good ol' comeuppance never loses its cathartic qualities.

I give it four out of five powered exoskeletons. :3

Oh, and Wikus has become one of the mercs from D9. @_@ Complete with South America as their origin as indicated by their accents and flag on their spaceship as well as a similar team logo.
I too have to praise the look and feel of this world Blomkamp has created. Everything, from the robots to the shuttlecraft to the space station, has a look of reality and functionality to it. It reminds me so much of the aesthetics of the first two Alien movies. Especially Aliens.

Oh man, wouldn't that be awesome? Blomkamp making an Alien movie!

Also, I believe you mean South Africa.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Penwrite wrote:I too have to praise the look and feel of this world Blomkamp has created. Everything, from the robots to the shuttlecraft to the space station, has a look of reality and functionality to it. It reminds me so much of the aesthetics of the first two Alien movies. Especially Aliens.

Oh man, wouldn't that be awesome? Blomkamp making an Alien movie!

Also, I believe you mean South Africa.
The station looks so realistic because it's based directly on a NASA design from the 70s, the Stanford torus. The film explicitly references this with the illustrations in the picture book about Elysium Max and Frey read as kids that are done in the same style as futurism picture books of the period. The Armadyne factory could've been filmed on a real work floor, too.

I don't always derp, but when I derp I herp.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Everyone (who's old enough to see rated R movies) should see The World's End. It's so good. It deserves its place in the trilogy alongside Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. And it could use some serious love at the box office.
Liam

Post by Liam »

I came to watch Super 8 yesterday.

Geez, what did Abrams think he was doing? IIRC it was supposed to be an homage to Spielberg's early films like The Goonies, but then you get hit over the head with graphic stuff like a man being executed through poison syringe (twitching included), the standard military guy villain's head getting smashed with explosive force and the kids walking into their neighborhood-turned-warzone where one of them catches a ricochet or is wounded by a collapsing wall and says something that sounded awfully close to "I can't feel my legs!" Seriously, the sudden shifts to violence fest were weird.
Radio Blue Heart

Yeah, for an "all audiences" film it was pretty intense. I worked at a dollar theater that showed it. When I was over some parents complained about the level of violence and the constant use of profanity by the young cast. I told them that it was rated PG-13 by the MPAA and for them to direct all hate mail toward them, because they said it was alright for children. The big Hollywood studios run the MPAA so they can basically get almost any rating that they want.

Comparing this film to "The Goonies"?! Blasphemy! I did not like "Super 8". I thought it is what it would be like it Michael Bay and John Milius tried to remake "The Goonies".

I just got a copy of an awesome movie that I not seen it over ten years! "Six String Samurai"! I highly recommend it! It is set in a post-nuke America. The Soviet Union got a first strike and won the Cold War. America is a waste land and the last free part is the kingdom of Lost Vegas ruled by The King, Elvis Presley. After a 40 year rule, the king is dead. And now, a bunch of traveling swordsmen/troubadours are all descending on Vegas to vie to become the new king. Each represents a different musical style and sword fighting technique. The hero of the film is Buddy, who looks like a post-nuke version of Buddy Holly, who plays rockabilly and uses a samurai sword. With a young orphan following him around, they encounter cannibal nuclear families, rival swordsmen, mutants an under funded Red Army and Death himself.

It also has an awesome rock soundtrack by the Russian rockabilly band The Red Elvises. It is weird, funny and exciting. Kind of a combination of "Mad Max", "Lone Wolf And Cub" and "Yellow Submarine".
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Virgil
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Might be going to see Kick-*** this Tuesday.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What part of "PG-13" says "alright for children?" Super 8 is a good movie but just because it stars children doesn't mean it's for children. I'm reminded of the "good, wholesome fairy tale" that was Pan's Labyrinth.
Radio Blue Heart

"Pan's Labyrinth" was rated R. It was not meant for children. I was just pointing out that preferential ratings mean that film has a potential for a wider audience. Even if it probably should not be seen by certain members of the audience.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I feel nervous saying this now, but I'm a big fan of Super 8. I like the look of the film, the sound, the characters. Those kids really felt like friends to me. I'd never heard it referred to as an homage to films like The Goonies, only to Spielberg films in general.

I'd also like to take this time to remind everyone that Spielberg is the guy who directed films like Duel, Jaws, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (one of the reasons the PG-13 rating was created), and Jurassic Park. That last one especially shows that Spielberg could be a pretty dang intense guy.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:"Pan's Labyrinth" was rated R. It was not meant for children.
Neither is a movie rated PG-13.