The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Jacey »

On Monday I saw Days of Future Past, and... It was really good, I loved it and enjoyed my self. Plus that end credit scene was great. Only complaint is that I am really confused on time lines and how the movie mentioned things that seem like it has been known for a while with characters that shouldn't exist that were in older movies. (I mean the Mystique bit, she was captured in this movie, but in older movies existed).

Saturn381 wrote:Just came back from seeing Maleficent, and I enjoyed it.
Oh so it is good then? wonderful. I am seeing it tomorrow.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Also, I wonder how many times "Spirit in the Sky" has been used in movie trailers?
Well apparently not enough for me know what it was called.
Now I must google it.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I also saw the new Spider-Man film. Overall I liked “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”. It gave more insight into the disappearance of Richard Parker and his work, it played more with the conflicted nature of Peter and Gwen’s relationship and Electro was an awesome villain. Hopefully he survived the overload and will appear in some of the sequels. I thought that Gwen’s death was a little too obvious (anyone who knows about the comics knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time), I am not quite sure what to make of Harry Osborn as a villain, the crooked board member who framed him was loose end, and Rhino was barely in the film. Overall it was a good movie, maybe not spectacular. I hope all those super weapons at Oscorp pay off in the sequels. It looks like they are setting up Doctor Octopus and The Vulture based on the weapons. Maybe The Lizard and Electro will come back as members of the Sinister Six. Oh, and they introduce a character named Felicia who can only be Felicia Hardy, The Black Cat!
I do not think we will see Electro or the Lizard, from what I heard the characters we got hints at are the sinister six. Which are: Kraven, Goblin, Vulture, Doc Oc, Rhino, and either Mysterio or Chameleon.

We are also supposed to get a venom movie, Web has been teasing it for a while during the production of Spider-man 2. (there was a picture of a locker that was the same as the comics from Ultimate Spider-Man. I liked Spidey 2, and Web has my money now
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

56 days until Guardians of the Galaxy.

Be prepared.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

AstroOtter wrote:56 days until Guardians of the Galaxy.

Be prepared.
I am prepared!

Though there may not be an Ant-Man movie after all. the director left
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I went and saw Days of future past. I dug it. Nothing mind blowing but it was solid.
I'm really hoping The Purge sequel and guardians of the galaxy can save this summer movie season for me. THere haven't been a lot of movies I really want to see and I still have a bad taste in my mouth from godzilla.

Crimson wrote:
I wouldn't worry. These kind of things happen sometimes. Marvel is committed to building up the movie universe. It'll happen. The director may be gone but the money behind the movie isn't.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Seth wrote:
Crimson wrote:
I wouldn't worry. These kind of things happen sometimes. Marvel is committed to building up the movie universe. It'll happen. The director may be gone but the money behind the movie isn't.
the problem isn't actually funding, but that the main reason they chose to make an Ant Man movie was because Edgar Wright had ideas for one (or at least that;s what my brother said). Without Wright, they may choose a different underrated avenger.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Seth wrote:
Crimson wrote:
the problem isn't actually funding, but that the main reason they chose to make an Ant Man movie was because Edgar Wright had ideas for one (or at least that;s what my brother said). Without Wright, they may choose a different underrated avenger.
I hope if they decide a new Avenger they go with Black Panther, Uganda and Vibranium have been introduced already.
So, who do you consider an underrated avenger?
RP Characters:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I dunno, but they've already chosen a new Ant-Man director.
and I think they're already planning a Black panther movie (also, it's Wakanda, not Uganda)
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Oh wow, I didn't mean to get the country name wrong. Silly me.
That is good that there is a new director. Hopefully its a good movie.
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I re-watched trainspotting last night. I feel like I actually liked it a lot more the second time (not that it wasn't amazing the first time) I don't know if that's me being in a more mature mindset or because the film is actually better when it doesn't have the shock value it does the first time through.
Either way the detox/ hallucination scene is one of the more intense scenes I've ever seen.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Goforit
Weather Wizard

Post by Goforit »

Seth wrote:I re-watched trainspotting last night. I feel like I actually liked it a lot more the second time (not that it wasn't amazing the first time) I don't know if that's me being in a more mature mindset or because the film is actually better when it doesn't have the shock value it does the first time through.
Either way the detox/ hallucination scene is one of the more intense scenes I've ever seen.
Not that I've seen that specific movie (*puts it on a list*), but I just recently re-watched The Way of the Gun and had kind of the same reaction. It was easier to pick up on all the subtle humour and commentary, already having seen the movie and knowing what's next, instead of actively having to anticipate it. *shrugs* I think a lot of pretty good movies are like that.
Ask me about the weather.

Avatar by the amazing cartoonist Hukley!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Sat down with my dad last night and watched The Outlaw Josie Wales. It was awesome, Clint Eastwood was incredible in it. I need to watch some more of his westerns.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Edge of Tomorrow, and it was really good.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently watched The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid, both directed by Sam Peckinpah.
The Wild Bunch is a great movie, really enjoyed it. I read somewhere that it was ranked as sixth-best western.
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid was also a good movie, Bob Dylan did it's soundtrack (he also starred in the film. His character didn't add much, though).
Panda Panda Panda
Crux

Post by Crux »

Just watched How To Train Your Dragon 2 a couple of days ago~ the animation/art/effects were awesome! but I think the storyline wasn't as dynamic as I expected (especially when Hiccup finally meets his mum), a bit too straightforward for me, but yeah, it was awesome!
Despite What You've been told... I once had a soul.
Left somewhere behind...
~~Avatar by MrAxolatte~!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I neeeed to see that.

I saw Edge of Tomorrow the other day. I thought the trailer looked dumb, but then there was really positive reviews. I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was as good as the reviews suggested.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw Wes anderson's Darjeeling Limited recently. Absolutely fantastic movie. Not Anderson's best but his mediocore is great by objective standards.
Owen Wilson was one of the male leads in the film and as is the case when he works with Anderson he was great. I can't tell if I respect him more having seen what he's capable of when he gets a good script/ director or if seeing him do such great work makes me hate him more for squandering his talent on so much absolute garbage.
Probably the latter.
I also watched Friday the 13th for the first time. I had mixed feelings on it. It had some great moments and was pretty cool from the perspective of someone who likes the history of horror movies and grew up loving the series. But all in all it was a pretty average slasher. I probably saw that one too late in life to really like it as anything more than a part of history. Still a solid addition to my movie collection though. 5 Bucks well spent.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I just re-watched George Romero's film Martin.

I watched Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs The Smog Monster) for the first time yesterday and it blew me away. Its a psychedelic giant monster movie.

I found this interesting map on Tumblr.

The US broken down by which horror films are set in which states. Poor Ohio got saddled with the crappy remake of "The Crazies". But the original being a George Romero film, I guess Pennsylvania has more monsters than it can handle. Romero overran Pennsylvania with monsters like Stephen King did to Maine. But now Romero is a Canadian citizen so Ontario is full of monsters now.

I was surprised that North Carolina got "Pumpkinhead" since they never specifically say where it was set beyond generic Appalachia. But he is a really cool monster to have. Even though that film was shot in southern California and is way to dry and dusty to be the Appalachian mountains.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Awesome find man. That's freakin cool.
I need to check out pumpkinhead one of these days. I've seen bits on T.V. that looked good but I never had the time and/or didn't want to jump in mid-movie.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

That's cool, but Badlands isn't a horror movie.
And I'm not sure I'd classify Close Encounters as a horror film.
Panda Panda Panda
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

tremors wasn't much of a horror movie.
also what in the world is "Idaho Transfer". actually don't answer that, its probably a mature not safe for these forums movie.
but really? that's the best my state gets?
RP Characters:
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:Awesome find man. That's freakin cool.
I need to check out pumpkinhead one of these days. I've seen bits on T.V. that looked good but I never had the time and/or didn't want to jump in mid-movie.
Pumpkinhead is an AWESOME monster movie! It is easily one of my favorites! It was directed by special effects artist Stan Winston and his team did the special effects!

Crimson wrote:tremors wasn't much of a horror movie. also what in the world is "Idaho Transfer". actually don't answer that, its probably a mature not safe for these forums movie.
but really? that's the best my state gets?
Idaho Transfer is actually a movie about time travel. Its actually a science fiction film. If I was going to have a horror film to represent Idaho it would probably be The Being, which is about a killer mutant on the loose in the town of Pottsville, ID.

Punchy wrote:That's cool, but Badlands isn't a horror movie.
And I'm not sure I'd classify Close Encounters as a horror film.
I guess a better choice for South Dakota would be North By Northwest, and nothing supernatural related is really set in Wyoming so I guess they were really reaching.

I guess Wyoming could share Cannibal! The Musical (aka Alfred Packer the Musical) with Colorado because of this hilarious scene!
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2, and it was great!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I haven't seen any movies at all this year. I need to change that.
Radio Blue Heart

I now own almost all the Godzilla films. The ones I lack are:
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
Son of Godzilla
The Return of Godzilla
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently watched French comedies A Nous La Liberte and Mon Oncle. Thought they were great, very Charlie Chaplin like at times.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I really want to see "The White Tiger" but it is not available in the US.

I got a copy of "Bereavement" the other day. Its a prequel to a film called "Malevolence" (which I haven't actually seen) but it was only $4 and one of my favorite reviewers said that it was a superior film.

I've seen previews for the film "Dracula Untold" and I hope it is good. I kind of want to see it.
-Virgil
Liam

Post by Liam »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Just finished a movie called A Cat in Paris. It's a French animated thriller about a girl who finds out her cat is a thief's accomplice, and then ends up the target of the most dangerous gang in town.

I liked the story- unlike many "thrillers" it was actually hard to predict. The animation style reminded me of Picasso if he followed the laws of perspective- it wasn't ugly either. Strange, yes, but not ugly. The voice acting in the dubbed version was unusually good- I especially liked Costa's actor, as he conveyed the madman part of his character well.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's into animation.
Thanks for the suggestion! The storytelling remained cheerful even through the darker parts. There's some top-notch voice talent involved, the cat burglar's played by Steven Blum who also did Spike Spiegel.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Jersey Boys, and it was really good!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I finally got to see How to Train Your Dragon 2! I really liked it. I think the first was better, but this was not a disappointing sequel. And I was very pleasantly surprised to see that Jonsi did a song for it! It was a lot more natural than when they use, say, a contemporary pop musician for a single song.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I watched Eraserhead the other day. I think it was the best work of Lynch's that I've seen. I would even say it stands up with the work of the french surrealists that I've seen as far as boundary pushing dream like psuedo nightmares go. I really dug it. I'm glad Kitela talked it up so much and convinced me to drop some money on a region free copy that found its way to my local seocnd hand media store.
I think this might be the start of me spending too much money to get weird little gems like that on DVD. I love having those to pull out whenever I have a day to waste on indulging my inner film snob.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

"Bereavement" was a rough movie to watch. Not just the horror but its aftermath was kind of a gut punch.

I found something very amusing. A couple of years ago Empire Magazine put together a list of the worst films of all time. "Plan 9 From Outer Space" was there as it is always on these sorts of lists, but Empire actually went after big budget Hollywood films that desperately needed bashing.

Here is the list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls002099247/

No "Robot Monster" or "Glen or Glenda", but you do get "Battlefield: Earth", "Epic Movie" and "Gigli".

The only films that I would stand up for, one being "Van Helsing" which was still an entertaining movie even though it was so over the top. I just the wished that the Dracula's brides would not SCREAM about EVERYTHING!

I was surprised that so few Jack Black movies were on that list. He annoys me to no end.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Earth to Echo, and I thought it was good.
Radio Blue Heart

After 2 years of a fan-driven movement and meticulous restoration, Clive Barker's Director's Cut of "Nightbreed" is finally getting a DVD/Blu-ray release!

I don't want to sound over dramatic but that movie changed my life! I was at the first ever screening of the rough cut at Mad Monster Party in Charlotte 2 years ago! I am so excited!
-Virgil
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

So, there has been internet talk that Dwayne Johnson is in talk with DC comics for a super hero role. The only hints we have is that the character isn't green lantern, but is as strong as superman, and Dwayne said later to "Just say the word". Or something, people think he might be Shazam, others thing Shazam is a red herring, which I agree with. I think we are being thrown off the sent and Dwayne is playing the Martian Manhunter (who is rumored to be in dawn of justice anyway).
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw The Purge: Anarchy this weekend. Again, loved the universe, story, mood, and action. But the script was terrible! It sounded like a bad first draft from a screenwriting class. I know sometimes it's a neccesary evil, but man there was a lot of forced exposition heavy dialogue. I feel like if the writer had spent less time trying to dumb down and explain the story and just let it happen it could have been a great movie in the vein of escape from New York. I'll go and see a third movie if it comes out but if there isn't a step up in quality I'm going to have to give up on the series. Awesome idea or not.

I also saw Rise of the Planet of the apes and it was thoroughly adequate. Didn't blow me away, still a cool movie going experience.

Hopefully the Sin city sequel and/or Guaridans of the galalxy give me something to really get into this summer. The last movie I saw in theatres that I really liked was The Grand Budapest Hotel. The rest have ranged from dissapointing to pretty good.

I might also go see Hercules or As Above so Below if they start getting good reviews. I'm not sold on them yet but they might become an option out of desperation.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I think that I will go see "The Purge: Anarchy" this weekend after I get paid. I read a bad review of it and it made me want to go see it.

So it turns out that Eli Roth has given up on the idea of a "Cannibal Holocaust" re-make and has simply decided to rip it off with a movie called "Green Inferno". At least his mentor Quentin Tarantino has enough taste to make his rip-offs a bit more subtle. I also wonder how much they are going to water it down to get an R-rating, considering that "Cannibal Holocaust" was banned in 31 countries.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Saw the new Hercules movie a couple of days ago. A pretty solid piece of entertainment, overall. Good action, decent effects, a not-terrible story, and a great performance from Dwayne Johnson as Hercules. I'd recommend it.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw Blade runner for the first time last night. It was visually stunning and the story was really thought provoking. It was a really weird winding story but I liked it. Would highly recommend it to sci-fi fans.

I really liked Rutger hauer in it. I hadn't seen anything of his besides Hobo with a shotgun. Seeing him do more serious work was cool.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

In 32 hours, 30 minutes, I will be sitting in a theater watching Guardians of the Galaxy.

32 hours, 30 minutes.

The longest 32 hours, 30 minutes EVER.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saw How To Train Your Dragon 2 a few weeks back. I could've sworn I talked about it here. My sister also brought me to see it since she's crazy for this movie, but I liked it too. X3

I mostly liked the story and the Viking humor, but I got a kick out of seeing the dragons acting like animals. Personally , I can't picture dragons like this, but it's nice to see them act like pets, so it depends on your view of them. My sister likes them like that. X3

Overall, enjoyable movie. worth the trip.
Seth wrote:I also watched Friday the 13th for the first time. I had mixed feelings on it. It had some great moments and was pretty cool from the perspective of someone who likes the history of horror movies and grew up loving the series. But all in all it was a pretty average slasher. I probably saw that one too late in life to really like it as anything more than a part of history. Still a solid addition to my movie collection though. 5 Bucks well spent.
The series is best regarded as an old tale told scary if it were real, moreso than Halloween. It's why I liked it the most. When you watch the original series, you begin to remember that the first one was based on a scary legend on Crystal Lake and a incident that was all too common back in the old days that scared parents everywhere. When that tale takes a mean twist, it suddenly becomes a lot more frightening.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur