The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Seth wrote:Watched the highlander last night.
Most
80's
thing
ever.
There can be only one!

My advice is to skip all the sequels and watch the anime film "Highlander: The Search For Vengeance". It is the only thing that comes close to how awesome the original was.
Punchy wrote:Manos: The Hands of Fate is one of the best films I have ever seen.
It was so bad, but I really liked it because it was bad.
Next I'll watch Plan 9 From Outer Space, the movie that almost stars Bela Lugosi.
Watch all the Ed Wood movies! He really believed in what he was doing.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:My advice is to skip all the sequels and watch the anime film "Highlander: The Search For Vengeance". It is the only thing that comes close to how awesome the original was.
I decided to check it out just to see, and holy cow. You do not get any more full on Anime than that. I found it really cool how it showed pretty much all of the great wars in the last 2000 or so years.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back form seeing Ernest & Celestine, and it was great! :D
Radio Blue Heart

My friend Hunter came for another visit so I took her to see "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and it was pretty good.

She also brought he copy of "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and it surprised me at how good it was. Like most adaptation films, I feel compelled to read the short story that this film is based on.

And this has been making the rounds on tumblr.

It looks like they are really going to start grinding these movies out.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think they're still working at a pace of about one or two a year, they're just planning a few years in advance.

Age of Ultron and Ant-Man are slated for next year, the third Captain America is 2016. the others aren't at a stage where they can project a release date
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'm pumped for Dr. Strange and the Black Panther. I feel like those characters are never really given the spotlight they deserve. They're some of the more interesting ones in Marvel.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I read "Dr. Strange" as "Dr. Strangelove." Now that would've been a weird superhero movie.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

I have NEVER heard of doctor strange.

Guess I'm not a fan of marvel, but I did watch Cap. 'Murica recently...it was surprisingly decent! :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Seth wrote:I'm pumped for Dr. Strange and the Black Panther. I feel like those characters are never really given the spotlight they deserve. They're some of the more interesting ones in Marvel.
I'm with you on those! With those 2 movies, Ant Man, and Guardians coming out, it's nice to see Marvel showcasing more heroes.

Now if only DC would stop leaning on its two crutches (named "Batman" and "Superman," by the way), maybe we could get a decent Aquaman, Green Arrow, or Teen Titans movie.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They tried with Green Arrow. Didn't work too well. Aquaman is kind of a joke at this point but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they decided to vindicate him with a movie they try really hard on.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Wonder Woman's the most likely DC hero to get their own movie next. Maybe the Flash after her.

But that's irrelevant, they're already working on a Justice League movie. Then whichever characters from that end up being popular will get their own movie
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Well green arrow has his own TV series so I guess that's fair, pretty sure the flash is getting one too.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Radio Blue Heart

One of the problems is that Warner Brothers just hands the films off to people who know nothing about comics or the characters, or they simply don't care because it is just a job for them. Disney on the other hand, hires people who know their stuff. Joss Whendon actually wrote comics for Marvel. That is why Warner Brothers ends up with crap like "Steel", "Catwoman", and "Green Lantern". One can tell that all Joel Schumacher did to prepare for "Batman Forever" and "Batman and Robin" was watch the old campy '60s tv show. Its about the competence of the studio and the passion of the filmmakers. "Green Lantern" was just a generic hero story.

One of my favorite internet critics, Cecil Trachenburg explains why studios seem to drop the ball when it comes to adaptations of games and comics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZ9s3Aof4w

This weekend I watched "Five Deadly Venoms" and I can see why it was so influential. I watch a good low budget zombie film called "State of Emergency". Its in the same vein as "28 Days Later". I also got a good copy of the slasher classic "Unhinged"!
deepskycyan wrote:Well green arrow has his own TV series so I guess that's fair, pretty sure the flash is getting one too.
There was a "Flash" made for TV film and a resulting TV series in the early 90s. I have seen some of it and it is abysmal!
-Virgil
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Hello guys, Grey here, I just got back from The Amazing Spiderman 2. Honestly, I do like it more then the first movie, but that's me. I say go with a couple friends and enjoy yourself
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Radio Blue Heart

Just watched the film "Centurion" starring Michael Fassbender and directed by one of my all time favorite directors, Neil Marshall who also the directed the AWESOME werewolf movie "Dog Soldiers". It is about the legend of the 9th Legion, a Roman legion that was supposed to have disappeared in Scotland during the Roman occupation of Britain. It focuses of a group of Roman soldiers who survived the battle and are not trying to make it back south before the Picts can hunt them down. It an awesome period piece and a great story of adventure and survival.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Recently watched Little Big Man, "was either the most neglected hero in history, or a liar of insane proportion".
It's a picaresque comedy about a 121 year old man named Jack Crabb, who recounts his colorful life story to a curious historian. Jack had been a captive of the Cheyenne, a gunslinger, an associate of Wild Bill Hickok, and a scout for General Custer.

I also watched In the Heat of the Night. I really should watch more films starring Sidney Poitier.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

I just watched "1990: The Bronx Warriors". It is an Italian imitator of both "The Warriors" and "Escape From New York" but stands as a pretty good action film. It was made in 1982 so 1990 was the "not too distant future". The police have completely given up trying to restore order to the Bronx and it is declared a no-man's-land where only tough "A Clockwork Orange" style gangs rule.

It has a vastly inferior sequel called "Escape From The Bronx" that was also titled "Escape 2000". Under the latter title it was featured on an episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000".
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

So I've been watching a ton of movies lately.
I went and saw The Grand Budapest Hotel wednesday and it was awesome. I love everything about Wes Anderson. Glad to see he's still going strong.

I saw Escape From New York for the first time last weekend. That was a bit cheesy and showed some age. But really that just added to the charm. It had a great campy over the top vibe but with enough grit and a good enough story to avoid "so bad it's good"and become "so B-Movie it's good". John Carpenter is moving up my favorite directors list. That guy knows how to make a movie that is just plain awesome across various genres. He doesn't get enough credit.

I watched Carnival of Souls last night. It's a 60's psychological horror movie. Despite some average to not so good acting it really got to me. I was genuinely scared and it left me with an unsettled for the rest of the night. It really blew me away. Definitely earns it's cult classic status. One of the better movies I've seen ever in any genre.

I saw scanners and it was pretty dissapointing. I couldn't get into it. Wooden acting, boring story, and just a kind of vague feeling that it all could have been a lot better. Just seemed like a sub-par movie carried by a few VERY memorable scenes. Which to the film's credit were awesome. Really liked Micahel Ironsides in it. It's a shame he's more of a villain/ supporting actor. He was by far the best actor in the movie and the only one I could take totally seriously.

I re-watched return of the living dead (Finally found a copy of it!!!!!!!!!) The 1970's version of The Hills Have eyes and Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic as well. They're all still great. I was glad ROTLD was still good after all these years. I hadn't watched it all the way through since high school so I was kind of worried.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Seth wrote:So I've been watching a ton of movies lately.
I went and saw The Grand Budapest Hotel wednesday and it was awesome. I love everything about Wes Anderson. Glad to see he's still going strong.

I saw Escape From New York for the first time last weekend. That was a bit cheesy and showed some age. But really that just added to the charm. It had a great campy over the top vibe but with enough grit and a good enough story to avoid "so bad it's good"and become "so B-Movie it's good". John Carpenter is moving up my favorite directors list. That guy knows how to make a movie that is just plain awesome across various genres. He doesn't get enough credit.

I watched Carnival of Souls last night. It's a 60's psychological horror movie. Despite some average to not so good acting it really got to me. I was genuinely scared and it left me with an unsettled for the rest of the night. It really blew me away. Definitely earns it's cult classic status. One of the better movies I've seen ever in any genre.

I saw scanners and it was pretty dissapointing. I couldn't get into it. Wooden acting, boring story, and just a kind of vague feeling that it all could have been a lot better. Just seemed like a sub-par movie carried by a few VERY memorable scenes. Which to the film's credit were awesome. Really liked Micahel Ironsides in it. It's a shame he's more of a villain/ supporting actor. He was by far the best actor in the movie and the only one I could take totally seriously.

I re-watched return of the living dead (Finally found a copy of it!!!!!!!!!) The 1970's version of The Hills Have eyes and Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic as well. They're all still great. I was glad ROTLD was still good after all these years. I hadn't watched it all the way through since high school so I was kind of worried.

I can't believe that you didn't like "Escape From New York" or "Scanners". Those movies are classics. Maybe for your next Cronenberg or Carpenter films you should try "Assault on Precinct 13" and "The Brood".

"Return of the Living Dead" is awesome! My advice is that the only sequel to it that you should give a chance is "Return of the Living Dead III". It was released as a stand alone film in Spain under the title "Mortal Zombie". It was directed by Brian Yuzna who produced "From Beyond" and "Re-Animator" and directed its sequel "Bride of Re-Animator".
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Recently watched Wes Craven's The Last House on the Left. Despite being campy and having some whacky humor some of it was almost too disturbing to watch. Not great or anything but I definitely plan on rewatching it some day. And I can see the influence it had on some other movies I really enjoy (Craven's the Hill's have eyes, Zombie's Devil's rejects, ect. ) I think it earns it's classic status.

I also rewatched a copy of anaconda I picked up for free at the local video store. I forgot how much I liked pre- "are we there yet?" Ice cube as an actor. Him sucker punching Jon voigt was oscar worthy : p I'm glad to have that in my collection to dust off evry couple years.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:

I can't believe that you didn't like "Escape From New York" or "Scanners". Those movies are classics. Maybe for your next Cronenberg or Carpenter films you should try "Assault on Precinct 13" and "The Brood".

"Return of the Living Dead" is awesome! My advice is that the only sequel to it that you should give a chance is "Return of the Living Dead III". It was released as a stand alone film in Spain under the title "Mortal Zombie". It was directed by Brian Yuzna who produced "From Beyond" and "Re-Animator" and directed its sequel "Bride of Re-Animator".
You misunderstood me. I loved escape from new york. It was the perfect B-movie. Interesting story, a lot of heart, some unintntional comedy, and some memorable characters.
As for scanners, well it tried at least. I'll definitely give cronenberg another shot. I saw what he was trying to do. It just didn't click for me. Though the final confrontation and that one famous explodey scene were amazing. When he gets stuff right it's pretty darn good.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Not totally movie-centric, but famed artist H.R. Giger, creator of the alien in 1979's Alien, has passed away. A sad day indeed for horror movie fans. :cry:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Yeah I saw that. It's a real shame. I'll have to watch Alien tomorrow in his honor.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Godzilla, and I really enjoyed it.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw Godzilla this weekend and I want my money back. Total snoozefest punctuated with Bryan Cranston being awesome and some cool, but ultimately short fight scenes.
It was like it tried to get the best parts of cloverfield and pacific Rim and got the worst of them instead.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I saw Godzilla, and I must say it was an awesome experience. I'd go see it over again and again just to watch Godzilla in action. The build-up to them fights was slow and it was fun watching some of the story behind the build-up, but it does tend to get tedious. Then again, it is Godzilla. :P

Every moment of the fights was memorable and seeing the big guy in 3D was extremely awesome and well done. I don't say that much about 3D monsters, but I'm glad they pulled him off extremely well.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I adore the new Godzilla movie. A wonderful callback in style and tone to the original film.

I'm amused by a lot of the professional reviews complaining about how long it takes for Godzilla to actually appear in the film. It took longer for the T-Rex to appear in Jurassic Park, lol.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

True, but it also had good acting and a good script. And there was plenty of what you paid for after the big reveal. Not any of the "play it coy and cut away from the actio"junk.
I read an interview where the new Godzilla director talked about how good monster movies tease out the reveal on the monster. But that only works if it's not already a known commodity.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

You know what might be a good comparison? Jaws. How often do you really see the shark there?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

That's fair. That's an example of a movie where even though you know it's a shark hiding the creature works. However I again have to refer to a great script that gave the audience 3 dimensional characters to focus on / care about.
Godzilla had a boring cast other than Bryan cranston, who was not given a real chance to save a very saveable movie,and a cliche ridden script. Even the other monsters seemed lazy. It was a cool design but it was cool when I saw similar stuff in clover field and pacific rim, it gets old. The whole movie felt lazy when it wasn't in the middle of a fight scene. Which unfortunately were few and far between despite being awesome.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

This kind of sums it up:

As a long time Godzilla fan, as long as I can remember, I loved it. My only gripe was that it could have had much more monster battle action or more monster destruction going on. I know that it is a Hollywood movie and that everyone wants to turn everything into a drama because they want an Oscar or they want this to be a stepping stone toward a dream project but they seem to forget that most people want their monster movie to be a monster movie. the MUTOs were great villains and I cheered when Godzilla used his atomic blasts against them. It also had a lot of subtle kaiju references for the fans. Maybe for the announced “Godzilla 2” and the possible crossover with “Pacific Rim” there might be more chances for monster battles. I almost cheered again when Godzilla woke up after his post-battle nap and return to the sea amid a triumphant swell of music and the looks of admiration from the humans. The news footage of the graphic saying “Savior of the city?” was a nice touch establishing Godzilla as a true hero.

I also saw the new Spider-Man film. Overall I liked “The Amazing Spider-Man 2”. It gave more insight into the disappearance of Richard Parker and his work, it played more with the conflicted nature of Peter and Gwen’s relationship and Electro was an awesome villain. Hopefully he survived the overload and will appear in some of the sequels. I thought that Gwen’s death was a little too obvious (anyone who knows about the comics knew it was coming, it was just a matter of time), I am not quite sure what to make of Harry Osborn as a villain, the crooked board member who framed him was loose end, and Rhino was barely in the film. Overall it was a good movie, maybe not spectacular. I hope all those super weapons at Oscorp pay off in the sequels. It looks like they are setting up Doctor Octopus and The Vulture based on the weapons. Maybe The Lizard and Electro will come back as members of the Sinister Six. Oh, and they introduce a character named Felicia who can only be Felicia Hardy, The Black Cat!
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I thought Amazing Spider-Man 2 had the best web-slinging of any Spidey film, especially in the beginning car chase.

Also, *high-pitched screaming*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzX ... ture=share
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:I thought Amazing Spider-Man 2 had the best web-slinging of any Spidey film, especially in the beginning car chase.

Also, *high-pitched screaming*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crIaEzX ... ture=share
Well, they finally gave us a trailer where Rocket actually speaks!

Also, I wonder how many times "Spirit in the Sky" has been used in movie trailers?
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

since that video seems to have been made private here's the official Facebook posting of it
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

I had the privelege of seeing Godzilla in IMAX and it is an awesome experience. Although I wish we went to the IMAX-dedicated theater we have in our area, as if I remember correctly that one has vibrating seats. Feel that roar.

I felt that while it did take a long time to build up to Godzilla appearing, seeing MUTO-M being decapitated by atomic breath was made all the sweeter with the wait. The battle itself felt a lot more tense by both the fact that a lot of our time was spent watching it from a human perspective, and the fact that this was no cakewalk for the big lizard (considering he was frequently overpowered by MUTO-M and MUTO-F when they worked together) made it so that it was a little more difficult to predict who was to win. The HALO jump scene was killer too.

All in all, I'd recommend it to anyone who relishes something more the longer they wait for it.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Penwrite wrote:You know what might be a good comparison? Jaws. How often do you really see the shark there?
Funny you mention Jaws. Here's the Godzilla Soundtrack. Sounds so much like Jaws, but all the more reason I loved it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Radio Blue Heart

With the new Godzilla film out, they are re-releasing all the classic Godzilla movies on DVD and Blu-ray. So far I have added to my collection:
Godzilla vs Megaguirus
King Kong vs Godzilla
Destroy All Monsters
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla and Mothra: Battle for Earth
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

And I found this interesting list on Tumblr. Its a list of all the up coming comic book and novel adaptation films planned for the next few years:

-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing X-Men: Days of Future Past, and it was really good.
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Just finished a movie called A Cat in Paris. It's a French animated thriller about a girl who finds out her cat is a thief's accomplice, and then ends up the target of the most dangerous gang in town.

I liked the story- unlike many "thrillers" it was actually hard to predict. The animation style reminded me of Picasso if he followed the laws of perspective- it wasn't ugly either. Strange, yes, but not ugly. The voice acting in the dubbed version was unusually good- I especially liked Costa's actor, as he conveyed the madman part of his character well.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's into animation.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I watched American Hustle recently. It was absolutely fantastic. I would highly reccomend it. It was like Wes Anderson sat down to write a ganster flick. It had so much heart and effortless quirkiness. But the story was also great and of course Christian Bale is awesome. It's already moving up the list of most quoted movies in my parent's house : p

I also saw The Number 17 (Really early Hitchcock) and Horror hotel ( 60's horror film about Witchcraft and the movie Rob zombie samples at the begining of Dragula) both were really good old movies. That said if you don't generally like old movies you probably won't like them. They both show their age. I personally like them a lot for what they do well and can get over the age because I'm used to watching old films.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Maleficent, and I enjoyed it.