The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Sleet »

I managed to get into Catching Fire before it left theaters. WOW. It was so good! Better than the first.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Just watched Escape Plan w/ my dad at the cinema last night; great movie! Fast pace (but not too fast) good action that related very well to the story ("oh, you need a distraction?"...), instead of just being mindless; a well thought out and interesting story, and good setup/execution/wrap up.

I enjoy seeing some characters that I hadn't seen in awhile; like Sam Neill (The Ph.D Paleontologist from Jurassic Park)
Vinnie Jones (Sphinx from Gone in 60 seconds) as well as some new ones, and they all played their parts very well.

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
RatHead wrote:Watched Despicable Me 2 last night and the night b4, and Frozen tonight, Great movies!
Same here with Despicable Me 2, yet to see Frozen... Really liked DM2, looks to me like sequels are getting better and better as time goes on!
RatHead wrote:Eraserhead was extremely weird,

EXTREMELY
Ah, Eraserhead. One of my favorite movies of all time. Freaks me out to no end- just the way I like it.
I just went onto a site I know of to watch Frozen, and as to Eraserhead, to each their own I guess :)

EDIT 11:22 my time Just finished Watchin Shindlers List with my neighbor, his suggestion, and a great movie!

HP! Messenger
Limp-in around eatin a dirty rubber Bizkit
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Watched The Uninvited for the first time with my brother. Good movie. Great use of lighting.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Watched Sin City last night. It was absolutely incredible and Rosario dawson is my newest celebrity crush, and quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Sleet wrote:I managed to get into Catching Fire before it left theaters. WOW. It was so good! Better than the first.
Well get ready because Mockingjay Pt. 1 (Yeah, never thought they'd have to pull THAT card) is slated for release late this September.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jeez that's the new big thing in book movies these days. I'd be more annoyed by the trend if it weren't for the fact that book movies have traditionally been criticized for skipping a lot. Splitting movies like this can help fix that.

Just as long as it's not to the extent that The Hobbit was.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

Your attention!

Only 205 days until Guardians of the Galaxy comes out.

That is all.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Mickey the Luxray

AstroOtter wrote:Your attention!

Only 205 days until Guardians of the Galaxy comes out.

That is all.
Well if it's a Marvel film then it should be at the very least okay. They seem to be really bad at making bad movies.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

And there's a raccoon!
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Just finished Here Comes The Boom with my dad, Great movie! UFC and comedy
Sleet wrote:And there's a raccoon!
I don't get it...
Last edited by RatHead on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

HP! Messenger
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Sleet wrote:Jeez that's the new big thing in book movies these days. I'd be more annoyed by the trend if it weren't for the fact that book movies have traditionally been criticized for skipping a lot. Splitting movies like this can help fix that.

It's only 2 parts.

and people seem to forget the hobbit movies are actually the Hobbit + parts of the Silmarillion, so 3 movies isn't that much of a stretch
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Watched Gandhi, it was long (a little over 3 hours). The actor playing Mahatma Gandhi looked a lot like him, I mean almost exactly, it was great.
Ravi Shankar did the soundtrack to the film (I heard the music long before I watched the movie).
RatHead wrote:EDIT 11:22 my time Just finished Watchin Shindlers List with my neighbor, his suggestion, and a great movie!
I still haven't seen that movie all the way through, I really should...
Panda Panda Panda
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Punchy wrote:
RatHead wrote:EDIT 11:22 my time Just finished Watchin Shindlers List with my neighbor, his suggestion, and a great movie!
It is an amazing movie, i mean, just wow; and knowing for a fact that thisa guy did all this and saved all those people? Astounding and cool really!

HP! Messenger
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Punchy wrote:Watched Gandhi, it was long (a little over 3 hours). The actor playing Mahatma Gandhi looked a lot like him, I mean almost exactly, it was great.
That was Ben Kingsley, right?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Sleet wrote:Jeez that's the new big thing in book movies these days. I'd be more annoyed by the trend if it weren't for the fact that book movies have traditionally been criticized for skipping a lot. Splitting movies like this can help fix that.

It's only 2 parts.

and people seem to forget the hobbit movies are actually the Hobbit + parts of the Silmarillion, so 3 movies isn't that much of a stretch
It's still kind of a stretch, and even then, adding parts of The Simarillion could be seen as a stretching measure.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

RatHead wrote:
Punchy wrote:
It is an amazing movie, i mean, just wow; and knowing for a fact that thisa guy did all this and saved all those people? Astounding and cool really!
If I might make a suggestion. Next try the Russian film "Come and See" and the Italian film "Life is Beautiful". But be warned, they are some of the saddest, most depressing films you will ever see!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Punchy wrote:Watched Gandhi, it was long (a little over 3 hours). The actor playing Mahatma Gandhi looked a lot like him, I mean almost exactly, it was great.
That was Ben Kingsley, right?
*checks*... Yep.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:If I might make a suggestion. Next try the Russian film "Come and See" and the Italian film "Life is Beautiful". But be warned, they are some of the saddest, most depressing films you will ever see!
I looked those up and I'll have to look for them and watch them now.
Panda Panda Panda
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and I thought it was really good.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

I watched most of the Original 1959 House On Haunted Hill movie tonight, and it sucked. it was so bad it was funny! and I've seen the remake and the sequel to the remake (blegh!)and I cannot fugure out why the original is rated higher...
The remake 40 years later kept ALL of the big things AND the little details, i.e. without ruining it [too much], they all arrived in hearses, a chandelier broke nearly killing one at the beginning, guns in mini coffins, the house/layout was the same, the character recasts acted the same, but better acting, heck, the even got the remake actors to somehow have the same (or at least amazingly similar) voices to the host, her husband, and the house owner, and other things.

All in all I'd recommend if you want to watch HoHH; watch the remake (1999), better, more easily watchable, better pace, and fun (at least if you're a "messed up" horror lover who laughs when they scream and cheer for the bad guys; like me :twisted: :evil: ).

HP! Messenger
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm pretty pumped for Godzilla and Robocop this year, but I hope Robocop keeps it's awesome theme at least while retaining all the new stuff. Personally though, I'm going to miss all the classical "Iron Man" moments with the original Robocop.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Watched The Thing tonight with a friend (the first remake by John Carpenter from the 80's), and It was very good I thought, good suspense, mystery, plenty of explosions and fire ( :twisted: ) and a nice wrap up.

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

RatHead wrote:Watched The Thing tonight with a friend (the first remake by John Carpenter from the 80's), and It was very good I thought, good suspense, mystery, plenty of explosions and fire ( :twisted: ) and a nice wrap up.
Its not as much a remake as it is another adaptation of the original short story "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell. Actually Carpenter's version is far more faithful to original short story than Howard Hawks version from the 50s. The new "The Thing" is actually a prequel to Carpenter's (even though they gave it the exact same title) and it is not very good. It shows exactly what happened to the Norwegian team that found the ship buried in the ice.

I love "The Thing" because not only is it scary, but it features some of Rob Bottin's best special effects work. I was surprised that he did not win an Oscar for it. He also created the creature effects for "Legend" and "The Howling".

Now I am going to watch all three of those.
-Virgil
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
RatHead wrote:Watched The Thing tonight with a friend (the first remake by John Carpenter from the 80's), and It was very good I thought, good suspense, mystery, plenty of explosions and fire ( :twisted: ) and a nice wrap up.
Its not as much a remake as it is another adaptation of the original short story "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell. Actually Carpenter's version is far more faithful to original short story than Howard Hawks version from the 50s. The new "The Thing" is actually a prequel to Carpenter's (even though they gave it the exact same title) and it is not very good. It shows exactly what happened to the Norwegian team that found the ship buried in the ice.
Yeah, my friend mentioned that he had seen the new one and thought that it was horrible.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I love "The Thing" because not only is it scary, but it features some of Rob Bottin's best special effects work. I was surprised that he did not win an Oscar for it. He also created the creature effects for "Legend" and "The Howling".

Now I am going to watch all three of those.
Good Idea! :lol:

HP! Messenger
rollingWolf

Post by rollingWolf »

A friend and I are going through all the old scifi and horrormovies avaible on netflix. Many are pure excrementium but at least were plowing through the classics.
¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı ¡pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ buıɥsnɹɔ ɯı
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Thankskilling is abysmal.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Sleet wrote:Thankskilling is abysmal.
SOUNDS like it!

HP! Messenger
Mickey the Luxray

Felidae is a thrill the entire way through. I also call it "the world's most expensive bait-and-switch". I can imagine an unsuspecting German parent finding a copy of it on the shelf and thinking it'd be a family film, only to be met with a grim, gory surprise.
Animation is good, the dream sequences were fantastic, the story was handled well- with one major flaw, that being Francis' unexplained aptitude for CSI work. It'll break the suspension of disbelief a few times- he'll literally arrive at the scene and already know what happened and what the guy ate for dinner the previous night. Other than that it's a good watch for anyone who could handle something like the original Total Recall.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I've been on a brain bending movie binge the past couple weeks.
I re-watched Lords of Salem and saw Mullholland drive and A clockwork Orange for the first time. All of them are equally awesome and unsettling and just flat out scary in their own ways. I have to say Clockwork Orange is probably my favorite of the batch. I think the story kind of ressonnates with the punk side of me and it has Stanley Kubrick going for it. WHich never hurts.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

"Gobble, gobble, %%#$@&#%$!"

Believe it or not, that is not the first ever killer turkey movie! Try tracking down a little gem from 1972 called "Blood Freak"! :lol:
-Virgil
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:Felidae is a thrill the entire way through. I also call it "the world's most expensive bait-and-switch". I can imagine an unsuspecting German parent finding a copy of it on the shelf and thinking it'd be a family film, only to be met with a grim, gory surprise.
Animation is good, the dream sequences were fantastic, the story was handled well- with one major flaw, that being Francis' unexplained aptitude for CSI work. It'll break the suspension of disbelief a few times- he'll literally arrive at the scene and already know what happened and what the guy ate for dinner the previous night. Other than that it's a good watch for anyone who could handle something like the original Total Recall.
I've seen Felidae as well, I saw it months ago..., but I never wanted to mention it here because of that scene............. *ahem*, I did like it overall (fine, i loved the movie, i'm an animated cat fanatic), though I found it odd... . I actually watched it on youtube, so i read a few actual stories by angry parents in the comments section. I'd love to see their faces at some of those scenes tho, :lol: .

Well about the CSI thing, ...
I guess he found out why
*puts on sunglasses*
Curiosity killed the cat.
YEAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

But I seriously guess that they were suggesting that because of his instinctive curiosity he knew where to look and... *ahem* sniff and what to infer from it to solve the case, or at least, figure out what happened at the scene, quickly.

And it's probably not to hard to figure out what someone had for dinner if you can see it in their stomach...
Seth wrote:I've been on a brain bending movie binge the past couple weeks.
I re-watched Lords of Salem and saw Mullholland drive and A clockwork Orange for the first time. All of them are equally awesome and unsettling and just flat out scary in their own ways. I have to say Clockwork Orange is probably my favorite of the batch. I think the story kind of ressonnates with the punk side of me and it has Stanley Kubrick going for it. WHich never hurts.
Ohh man, I've wanted to watch The Lords of Salem for SO LONG, screw it, i'm watching it tonight on my comp.

also about the other 2, I've heard of them both, and I'm actually a bit anxious to see CO because of what i've read about it and the "commercial" i saw for it...even though as you said..:
Seth wrote: I think the story kind of resonates with the punk side of me and it has Stanley Kubrick going for it. Which never hurts.
so i'm at about 50/50 want/don't want to watch it...

HP! Messenger
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sweet Josefine, this trailer is muuuuch better than the last one! I really want to see Maleficent now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgmFAOgm5E
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

RatHead wrote:
SOUNDS like it!
Also Birdemic. Though I'm not sure that's on Netflix?
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Netflix? what's that? *ahem,* Kidding

EDIT 2 days later: watched American History X w my neibor last night, it was a good movie, if you can say that about it

HP! Messenger
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Silent movies...
Watched Buster Keaton's The General, Harold Lloyd's Speedy, and Wings.
Panda Panda Panda
Liam

Post by Liam »

For those who've seen them, which Transporter film is the best (if at all)?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Liam wrote:For those who've seen them, which Transporter film is the best (if at all)?
I personally like them all, and the first one is pretty darn good, but I'd recommend the 3rd one to get the best experience/etc, and then you can go back and watch the others.(Also the 3rd IS the best :))

I hope You like em!
Rat

HP! Messenger
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've only seen the first two, so all I can say is "not the second one."
RatHead

Post by RatHead »

Sleet wrote:I've only seen the first two, so all I can say is "not the second one."
Pretty Much that :lol: but you should watch the 3rd, it's definitly the best done, and it just FEELS better made. Ya Know? almost cleaner, clearer, Frank's more of the character he should be, I'm rambling, he's got a nicer car, and the enemies are better. :)

HP! Messenger
Radio Blue Heart

I just bought a box set of "Sleepaway Camp" and its sequels! It has been years since I have seen "Sleepaway Camp" and I have never seen the sequels so this is quite a treat!

If you have not seen it, the ending will shock you into a coma!
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just saw The Comedy.

Wow. That was... that was a movie alright.