The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Radio Blue Heart

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Liam wrote:Those are old movies for the most part.

Today entry-level horror in form of PG13 movies a lá Gremlins aren't made. Krampus is an outlier.
Liam is right. "Jaws" and "Poltergeist" came out before that rating existed. And I will argue the merits of those other films you mentioned. Horror by its very nature is a transgressive genre and trying to make it "friendlier" for the sake of a wider audience defeats the purpose of making a horror film anyway.

I finally saw the slasher film "Happy Birthday to Me" and I thought it was pretty good. A group of upper class snobs at an exclusive prep school are getting killed off in a number of gruesome ways. One of the members of the clique suffered a brain injury a year before and suffers from blackouts. She thinks that she may be committing the murders without realizing it.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Liam

Post by Liam »

Apparently there's a new Star Wars movie coming. When did that happen all of a sudden?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'm actually rewatching the original trilogy right now, and will be seeing the new movie tomorrow night.

Just a reminder to use the spoiler tags when discussing it Star Wars has a history of having big spoilers
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Liam wrote:Apparently there's a new Star Wars movie coming. When did that happen all of a sudden?
Yep, and it's shaping up pretty nicely. It's directed by JJ Abrahms, cause they wouldn't let Lucas touch it after what happened with the Prequels.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

SuperStar wrote:they wouldn't let Lucas touch it after what happened with the Prequels.
that's not entirely why. Lucas sold the rights to it so he didn't even want to direct another one... possibly because of the prequels, but still, not directly the reason.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

I saw Star Wars today!
It was fantastic, you will not be disappointed people!
It was surprisingly funny.
This film was so good that I dare not even put a spoiler even if I can cover it.
Hi Hi Pie
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
SuperStar wrote:they wouldn't let Lucas touch it after what happened with the Prequels.
that's not entirely why. Lucas sold the rights to it so he didn't even want to direct another one... possibly because of the prequels, but still, not directly the reason.
I meant that as a joke, not to be accurate.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Just got back from watching The Force Awakens with my brother. Go watch it!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

my review of Force Awakens: STAR WARS!!!

go watch it, ASAP.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

So, that Star Wars movie.

https://i.imgur.com/lZCVovG.jpg

It literally is a shot-for-shot remake of ANH.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

not exactly shot for shot, but the plot synopsis is pretty much word for word. a good deal of it can be chalked up to them both being the Hero's Journey. I still liked it better than the prequels, and we'll see if the rest of the trilogy follows the rest of the originals.

also, I'm re-seeing it in IMAX 3D on Monday
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:not exactly shot for shot, but the plot synopsis is pretty much word for word. a good deal of it can be chalked up to them both being the Hero's Journey. I still liked it better than the prequels, and we'll see if the rest of the trilogy follows the rest of the originals.

also, I'm re-seeing it in IMAX 3D on Monday
Even if it was similar in many ways it was still a really good movie. Although I was disappointed at the end when they had the perfect opportunity (character, set up and all) to say "it's a trap".
Hi Hi Pie
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I give The Force Awakens a solid 7.5/10.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just cam back from seeing the new Star Wars movie, and it was great! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I saw it in IMAX 3D today. seems only one scene is actually filmed in IMAX, so stick with regular 3D if you don't have a real IMAX theater at a museum or something (I went to one at the Airbus IMAX theater which has a huge screen even in non-IMAX scenes)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

So in preparation to go see it on Thursday, my family's been having a Star Wars marathon - starting with the Phantom Menace, all the way to Return of the Jedi. I was in the middle of traveling when they were watching the first two - not any great loss, but I managed to catch most of Revenge as well as the full New Hope.

And man, watching them right in a row makes the differences between the prequels and the originals stick out even more like a sore thumb.

Did... anyone tell Lucas that Hayden Christensen didn't look like he knew how to act? At all? I mean, there are terrible lines abound in the third movie, but the rest of the actors at least try and make them work, even if they aren't very successful. Meanwhile, Hayden Christensen's delivery could be replaced by him holding up poorly-spelled cardboard signs and he'd probably be better off. I didn't remember him being good, but it's hard to be a decent movie when 'atrocious' is giving your main character too much credit.

I mean, comparing the two duels between 'Vader' and Kenobi, the battle in III is supposed to be a climactic duel, this epic battle to decide the fate of the galaxy, while the one in IV, while important, is far from the climax of the movie. So why does the latter one end up having far much more weight? Well, the former just tries way, way too hard. Epic orchestral track, fighting over lava because ooh dangerous, excessively choreography in the lightsaber battle... it whacks you over the head with 'THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE IMPORTANT'. It doesn't allow itself to live and breathe as a scene, instead just going above and beyond in trying to impress you - but in the end utterly underwhelming with its artificiality. Meanwhile, the saber duel in IV simply takes place in a simple hallway aboard the Death Star. There's no jumps or flips or swinging on cables - just a straightforward fight. Indeed, far more attention and investment is put into Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie's escape at the time - the fight is more of a side show in comparison. But when it comes time for a resolution, when Obi Wan sees what needs to be done, puts his faith in Luke and makes his sacrifice, it carries the emotional impact III tried and failed to grab a hold of.

Also, kind of a random one-off, but I'd forgotten how much a total ham the Emperor is in Revenge. I'd say it undercuts the dramatic aspect, but given how poorly the movie pulls that off, the levity is welcome, honestly.

Basically upon further review... I feel entirely justified in ignoring the prequel trilogy as a whole. I don't know how good the Force Awakens will be, but it won't be hard to just be better than the prequels. Not any real surprise, but it's a chance to critique things.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I barely recall any of the prequels, but I am well aware of their reputation, and I have since looked up a few clips of the three movies as a brief crash course, and I do agree that it's pretty boring in a lot of places. Oddly, though, I found a video of the Nostalgia Critic for the Top 11 things that the prequels managed to do well. Interesting perspective, so worth a watch, just mind that it does have a bit of adult language, so can't link it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saw the Star Wars movie. It was excellent. And yes, it was pretty much A New Hope all over again, but at the start, it gave me a feeling like this movie was just the setup for the other two.

Also, alot of people loved the Zootopia Sloth trailer. i was amused.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Finally got around to watching the Force Awakens, woo!

I can totally see the criticism about it being 'A New Hope' all over again, though. Let's see... start on desert planet (check), member of the main trio gets captured (check), entrusts secret information wanted by villainous organization to droid (check), droid is found by main character (check), captured main trio member gets rescued (check), main character meets mentor character (check), mentor character gets killed by lightsaber-wielding villain (check), planet-destroying weapon destroys planet(s) (check), planet-destroying weapon is destroyed just moments before it's about to fire on protagonist organization's main base (check).

Was odd though - I ended up getting the 'Anthropomorphic' Zootropia trailer (this one) instead of the sloth one. Still, it really does seem like a love letter to the furry community. Or to their money, at least. >_>
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So yeah, I've seen Star Wars now too.
Yes, there are lots of plot-points from the Original, but the way they are executed is SOOOO MUCH different. It's awesome.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

CosmicCoyote wrote:So in preparation to go see it on Thursday, my family's been having a Star Wars marathon - starting with the Phantom Menace, all the way to Return of the Jedi. I was in the middle of traveling when they were watching the first two - not any great loss, but I managed to catch most of Revenge as well as the full New Hope.

And man, watching them right in a row makes the differences between the prequels and the originals stick out even more like a sore thumb.

Did... anyone tell Lucas that Hayden Christensen didn't look like he knew how to act? At all? I mean, there are terrible lines abound in the third movie, but the rest of the actors at least try and make them work, even if they aren't very successful. Meanwhile, Hayden Christensen's delivery could be replaced by him holding up poorly-spelled cardboard signs and he'd probably be better off. I didn't remember him being good, but it's hard to be a decent movie when 'atrocious' is giving your main character too much credit.

I mean, comparing the two duels between 'Vader' and Kenobi, the battle in III is supposed to be a climactic duel, this epic battle to decide the fate of the galaxy, while the one in IV, while important, is far from the climax of the movie. So why does the latter one end up having far much more weight? Well, the former just tries way, way too hard. Epic orchestral track, fighting over lava because ooh dangerous, excessively choreography in the lightsaber battle... it whacks you over the head with 'THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE IMPORTANT'. It doesn't allow itself to live and breathe as a scene, instead just going above and beyond in trying to impress you - but in the end utterly underwhelming with its artificiality. Meanwhile, the saber duel in IV simply takes place in a simple hallway aboard the Death Star. There's no jumps or flips or swinging on cables - just a straightforward fight. Indeed, far more attention and investment is put into Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie's escape at the time - the fight is more of a side show in comparison. But when it comes time for a resolution, when Obi Wan sees what needs to be done, puts his faith in Luke and makes his sacrifice, it carries the emotional impact III tried and failed to grab a hold of.

Also, kind of a random one-off, but I'd forgotten how much a total ham the Emperor is in Revenge. I'd say it undercuts the dramatic aspect, but given how poorly the movie pulls that off, the levity is welcome, honestly.

Basically upon further review... I feel entirely justified in ignoring the prequel trilogy as a whole. I don't know how good the Force Awakens will be, but it won't be hard to just be better than the prequels. Not any real surprise, but it's a chance to critique things.
To be fair, Hayden does a decent job when he's NOT talking, lol. Gave some great glares. And I've seen him in other stuff where he gave good performances, so I dunno. :P
Radio Blue Heart

I have Monday off so I think I will go see the new Star Wars movie and see what all the hype is about.

I saw "Ant-Man" and thought it was alright. Not the best Marvel movie but it surprised me by being part super-hero movie, part heist movie.

I regret to say that I saw Eli Roth's "Green Inferno". It was pure crap. It had some decent gore effects and some very bad CGI ants. Its a shameless rip-off of Ruggero Deodato's "Cannibal Holocaust", from top to bottom. His mentor Quentin Tarantino set the precedent for him to copy elements from other films, usually obscure cult films that only film nerds like me watch, and try to make something original. Although he backslid on "Django Unchained" by stealing the basic plots of two films whose names are not friendly for this forum. But Roth only knows how to copy. On top of that, he took a genre that was notorious for being shocking, the Italian cannibal films, and tried to make a film for the general public. Yes its R-rated, but for a genre whose films show with pride how many countries they have been banned in. Just like how the "Hostel" series knocked off "Bloodsucking Freaks" and "Last House on Dead-End Street" just to name a few, this film brings nothing new to the genre and just waters it down. On top of that it has some moments and some dialogue that are ridiculously bad. The acting is also subpar. Don't waste your money on this thing.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So while I was having bad internet connections, I decided to watch a Disney documentary called Waking Sleeping Beauty, and it was great!
Radio Blue Heart

If you are like me, then the "Evil Dead" remake left a bad taste in your mouth. I really didn't like. I watched a film from Sweden called "Whither" that was good and a much better film. Its obvious that they are imitating "The Evil Dead" with the isolated, dilapidated house in the woods, a group of friends on vacation and demonic possession and bloody mayhem ensuing. Even if you might think it's a rip-off, its still a much better film than the remake.

I also saw a Jesus Franco film called "Bloody Moon". A first I thought it was just one of Franco's films where he put forth minimal effort, but this one surprised me. It has some plot twists that I didn't see coming and great ending. Its definitely one of Franco's better films.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So I saw Kung Fu Panda 3 on Sunday, and it was great!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:If you are like me, then the "Evil Dead" remake left a bad taste in your mouth. I really didn't like. I watched a film from Sweden called "Whither" that was good and a much better film. Its obvious that they are imitating "The Evil Dead" with the isolated, dilapidated house in the woods, a group of friends on vacation and demonic possession and bloody mayhem ensuing. Even if you might think it's a rip-off, its still a much better film than the remake.

I also saw a Jesus Franco film called "Bloody Moon". A first I thought it was just one of Franco's films where he put forth minimal effort, but this one surprised me. It has some plot twists that I didn't see coming and great ending. Its definitely one of Franco's better films.
I'll look into Bloody Moon, but you should watch the TV series "Ash Vs. The Evil Dead" For some good old redemption after that. It's a blast.
Radio Blue Heart

GameCobra wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:If you are like me, then the "Evil Dead" remake left a bad taste in your mouth. I really didn't like. I watched a film from Sweden called "Whither" that was good and a much better film. Its obvious that they are imitating "The Evil Dead" with the isolated, dilapidated house in the woods, a group of friends on vacation and demonic possession and bloody mayhem ensuing. Even if you might think it's a rip-off, its still a much better film than the remake.

I'll look into Bloody Moon, but you should watch the TV series "Ash Vs. The Evil Dead" For some good old redemption after that. It's a blast.
I think "Wither" is the film you want to see. I'll try to find "Ash vs. The Evil Dead".

I misspelled it actually, its title is "Wither", or"Vittra" being the original Swedish title. A vittra is the a spirit, in this case an evil one, that causes the possessions and zombie mayhem. If you look it in the eye you die and get taken over by another evil spirit.

I saw a digitally remastered version of "Manos, the Hands of Fate" and it has never looked this good. Which is not saying much considering it is regarded as one of the worst films ever made. But it is not boring and made of a classic episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000". The disc also came with some documentaries about the making of the film and the infamy that it gained.

To night, I am finally going to watch Alejandro Jodorowsky's "Santa Sangre". I loved "El Topo" and this is said to be on par with it.
-Virgil
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:I saw a digitally remastered version of "Manos, the Hands of Fate" and it has never looked this good. Which is not saying much considering it is regarded as one of the worst films ever made. But it is not boring and made of a classic episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000". The disc also came with some documentaries about the making of the film and the infamy that it gained.

To night, I am finally going to watch Alejandro Jodorowsky's "Santa Sangre". I loved "El Topo" and this is said to be on par with it.
"Manos, Hands of Fate" isn't very good movie, but I really like it. There's just something about it...

Also looked up "Santa Sangre" and "El Topo" and added both to my Amazon cart (can't order yet, tho), they both sound very interesting.
Panda Panda Panda
Radio Blue Heart

Punchy wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I saw a digitally remastered version of "Manos, the Hands of Fate" and it has never looked this good. Which is not saying much considering it is regarded as one of the worst films ever made. But it is not boring and made of a classic episode of "Mystery Science Theater 3000". The disc also came with some documentaries about the making of the film and the infamy that it gained.

"Manos, Hands of Fate" isn't very good movie, but I really like it. There's just something about it...

Also looked up "Santa Sangre" and "El Topo" and added both to my Amazon cart (can't order yet, tho), they both sound very interesting.
You will not be disappointed, Punchy. "El Topo" and "Santa Sangre" frequently make best of lists. If you watch Jodorowsky's films and like them, then you should try to see some films by Dario Argento, Luis Buñue, Andrei Tarkovsky, Lucio Fulci, Richard Stanley and David Lynch. But you are probably already familiar with them.

"Santa Sangre" was a great movie. Like all of Jodorowsky's films it treads a fine line between, and sometimes combines, the grotesque and the beautiful. Its about a circus performer name Fenix who becomes a tool of his mother's anger and desire for revenge.

I also watched Richard Stanley's "Hardware" (aka "MARK 13"), another violent but beautiful film. Its set in a post-apocalyptic slum. A soldier brings his artist girlfriend pieces of a robot he found in the wasteland. She decides to use the piece for her latest metal sculpture. They find out too late the robot is a killbot created by the government for genocidal population control. The alternate title is a reference to the robot's model and to a biblical passage that says "no flesh shall be spared".

Like "Santa Sangre" it features a score by Simon Boswell. "Hardware" also has cameos by Iggy Pop, Lemmy and Carl McCoy. And it features music by Motorhead, Ministry and Public Image Ltd.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from a screening of the animated shorts that are nominated for an Oscar this year, and I thought I's share what I think of them.

Sanjay's Super Team: Starting off with a Pixar short, it's basically about a young Indian boy, bored with his father's religious meditation, who imagines Hindu gods as superheroes. It's a really fun short that shows some great visuals and colors.

World of Tomorrow: Created by Don Hertzfeldt (the same guy behind Rejected and The Meaning of Life), it's about a woman from the future telling her younger self what the future is like. If you seen Rejected, you'll probably get a hint what World of Tomorrow might be. Really weird, but really funny.

We Can't Live Without Cosmos: Basically it's about two best friends who try to fulfill their dream of making it to space. Pretty straight forward, but the ending will defiantly tug on your heart strings.

Bear Story: An allegory of the murderous Pinochet regime in Chile in the 1970s, the story centers around a bear who builds an elaborate mechanical diorama in an attempt to remember (and perhaps recover) the life he used to live with his wife and son, before he was ripped from his home and sent to a circus. While We Can't Live Without Cosmos is as in the ending, this one will make you cry all the way though.

Prologue: Created by legendary animator Richard Williams (the lead animator for Who Framed Roger Rabbit) and his first ever project since The Thief and the Cobbler, It basically shows four warriors killing each other and when it's over, a little girl who witnessed it all runs to her they're isn't really anything that explains what's going on (it doesn't even say whp the characters are), but sense this short is suppose to set up for something bigger that Richard Williams is planning (hence why the short is called Prologue) I'm not complaining. But man, the animation is gorgeous!

In addition, there were some other animated shorts that were not nominated and were shown in between Bear Story and Prologue. So let's talk about them, shall we?

If I was God: Created by Cordell Barker (who created the short The Cat Came Back) for National Film Board of Canada, this is another funny short about a boy speculating what he would do if he had god like powers.

The Loneliest Stoplight: Created by Bill Plympton (the same guy behind Mutant Aliens, Idiots and Angels, and the Don't Download This Song music video by Weird Al), this one is a very sweet short about a stoplight who stays in the same spot for a good amount of years. It's also fun to see the personality of the stoplight by the way it moves and some narration by Patton Oswalt.

The Short Story of a Fox and a Mouse: This one is another very sweet short about a Fox and a Mouse who help each other out in the end. Nothing much to say about it.

Catch It: Another really funny one and probably the funniest short out of all of them. Basically a bunch of meerkats trying to save a flower from a vulture.
Radio Blue Heart

I watched the English language remake of the French horror film "Martyrs" and it was a very underwhelming experience. It was terrible. Not only is a it a weak copy of the first film, they actually went out of their way to tone down the film. So a New French Extremism fim became an American One-Week Wonder film.

I finally saw the Troma film "Luther the Geek" and was quite impressed by it. For a low budget slasher film made near the end of 80s slasher cycle it was well made.

I also saw a documentary by National Geographic called "Africa's Wild West" about wild horses in Namibia. It was great. At times it was sad and at time it was amusing.
-Virgil
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just got back from seeing Deadpool, and my goodness is it awesome! :D
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I went and saw The Witch this weekend and man did it ever live up to the hype. It did a great job of not spelling things out at the expense of suspense and good story telling. I respect films that realize sometimes hinting at things/ not fully explaining the details of something is the scariest thing of all. And man were there some memorable images. Some really well paced haunting stuff with gorgeous sound design. Can't rant about it enough! There were several moments where I just turned to my friend and mouthed "wow" (or some less pg variants in some of the crazier scenes) and oh man what an ending!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

I want to see "The Witch", but it depends on if I have the time.

I have been getting caught up on the movies that I have been accumulating lately. I have started to make some progress.

"One Dark Night" is a horror film partly inspired by "Phantasm". Its about a girl that has to under go an initiation into an exclusive clique at her high school. They challenge her to spend the night in a local mausoleum. Recently entombed in that same mausoleum is a mysterious occultist named Raymar. Raymar was not the fraud the news made him out to be. He possessed telekinetic powers and he was a psychic vampire, feeding off of negative emotions and the life force of other being. These strange powers give Raymar the ability to resurrect himself and cause terror for the initiate and the clique who have come to play pranks on her. For a film with a PG rating, it is fairly gruesome in it's gore and has some genuinely scary moments. But it was made at a time before the PG-13 rating was created for Spielberg so he could have graphic gore and insult the entire nation of India in "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". The whole film builds with dread from the opening scene with a combination of foreboding imagery and music.

Next I saw "The Mutilator". A late cycle slasher film filmed and set in my home state of North Carolina. Its not that special except that it was particularly gory. That was the only thing that really made it stand out along with the motivation and identity of the murderer.

I finally saw Brian Yuzna's film "Society", and I can't believe I didn't see it sooner! It was a work of genius! The film is about a boy named Bill who does not feel that he fits in with his rich, bourgeois parents or the snobs that go to his exclusive high school. His fears are soon justified when he learns that not only are they not his real family, he learns they are not even human. The rich and powerful are not just of another social class but a different species that feeds on the poor in more ways than one. He was actually kidnapped as a child and raised by these beings so that they could feed on him, absorbing his nutrients and assimilating his genetic material to spike their ultra exclusive circle with new blood. You may never look at the 1% the same ever again. How do you run for help when the monster have the cops on their payroll?

To round out this batch of films I finally own a copy of "Mortuary". This is a slasher film that was made around 1980 or 1981 but not released until 1983. The last time I saw it, it was on a beat up, old VHS tape. This film is unique because it features the first starring role by a young Bill Paxton. He plays the creepy son of the local mortician. For a film made in the 1980s, it has a strangely 1970s feel. It is also unique among slasher films because it has a supernatural element to it. Mostly involving a character's psychic visions and an secret group of spiritualists who hold seances to contact the spirits of the dead.
-Virgil
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

so, I haven't been able to see Zootopia yet, but today I saw a movie that's also pretty furry.

The Boy and The Beast was just as good as I've come to expect from Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars, Wolf Children). If you liked his other stuff and can find a theater near you showing it this week, go see it. If you can't, then see it as soon as you can, probably when it releases on DVD or maybe at a convention some time.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Saw The Krampus the other day. It was actually pretty delightful for a comedy/horror, although it's interesting how the movie has no blood in it, but definitely creepy. Something tells me this movie will come out again this Christmas.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Today, I was excited to see Zootopia :D

We went to see Zootopia.

But when we went to the cinema, it turned out that the cinema removed too early Zootopia from his movies list.

So no Zootopia :cry:

In the end, we saw "Snow white and the huntsman", and it turned out to be a good movie.

If the cinemas continue with this thing of removing movies early, I think that I will see Zootopia with the help of the nice guy with a hook and an eyepatch.
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Radio Blue Heart

I know what you mean. I tried to go see "Hardcore Henry" but it only ran for two weeks at my local cinema. Guess I will have to wait for DVD.

I have seen a ton of movies since I last posted here. So here is some of them.

You don't expect serious, award winning drama from Roger Corman but he produced a movie that I think deserves Academy Ward consideration. The film is "Suburbia" from Penelope Sepheeris, the director of "The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization" and "Wayne's World". It is about a boy named Evan who runs away from home to escape his abusive alcoholic mother. He falls in with a group of runaway punks who call themselves "The Rejected". They all come from terrible home situation with toxic, abusive parents. They live together in an abandoned house in a neighborhood of abandoned houses. By night they go to punk clubs (with concert footage with TSOL, DI, and The Vandals) and by day they steal and scavenge supplies and food. The come into conflict with two resentful, unemployed redneck auto workers who form a "Citizens Against Crime" group and take out their bitterness and resentment on the kids.

You would never believe that a Roger Corman movie could make you think and feel as deeply as this one. About the breakdown of the family and the damaged children that result from it. It is also notable that on the Rejected is played by Flea of The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fear.

Next I have two firsts in horror. Norway's first slasher film "Cold Prey/Fritt vilt" and Russia's first slasher film "Trackman/Путевой обходчик".

"Cold Prey" is a rarity because Norway has more of a reputation of banning horror films rather than producing them. But given the international success of this and and "Dead Snow" films that might change. "Cold Prey" reminded me a lot of "Friday the 13th". The film is about a group of college friends who go on a skiing trip in the far north. When one of the group breaks his leg and a storm is blowing in, they are forced to seek shelter at a seemingly abandoned hotel. The discover that the hotel was abandoned shortly after a young boy went missing there in the late 1970s. They also find out that a madman has been living in the hotel ever since, trapping and killing anyone who ventures there.

It was really good and I am looking forward to getting copies of the sequels.

"Trackman" is about a group of thieves who rob a bank. After successfully getting away the three robbers and three hostages make their escape through a section of abandoned subway tunnels under Moscow. Little do they know that the tunnels are home to a deformed maniac that carries a pickax and a hatred of eyes. When the Trackman kills the fourth member of the gang, who was going to lead them out, they are hopelessly lost in the tunnels with the Trackman after them.

This was a good well made film, both a heist film and a horror film. The only weakness it has is a less than satisfying ending. But everything up to that is good.

I have also got new editions of "Re-Animator" and "Bride of Re-Animator". "Bride of Re-Animator" has never looked this good, remastered and in widescreen. For years if languished on terrible looking DVDs that were full screen and had VHS quality sound and picture.

I got two Scream Factory boxes that have four movies each. I have not watched them all yet, but the ones that I have make these sets well worth it.

"The Dungeonmaster" (aka "Ragewar") was essentially 7 movies in one. Each segment had a different director. It is about a brilliant computer programmer and his girlfriend who are kidnapped and forced to play a "game" by a demonic sorcerer maned Mestema (played brilliantly by Richard Moll who played a similar character in "The Sword and the Sorcerer"). Mestema has pitted his dark magic against other heroes and magic users over the last 1000 years and always won. Now, he wishes to pit his magic against technology. Paul has a miniaturized version of his AI computer on his wrist and uses it to fight in the different life threatening challenged that Mestema sets against him.

This film is notable because it features the rock band W.A.S.P. and the line "I reject your reality and substitute my own" was used on the show "Myth Busters".

"The Outing" (aka "The Lamp") is about a group of kids that decide to spend the night in natural history museum. One of them tampers with the museums latest exhibit, an ancient lamp. The jinn in the lamp grants one wish, to the one person that it spares, in exchange for their life and they must become the lamps new guardian.
-Virgil
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

I saw Captain America Civil War today and it was amazing!!!!!!!!
It was also a lot funnier than I expected it to be.
There were quite a few twists that caught me off guard. Vision trying to be casual was absolutely hilarious. I am bit annoyed though that Rhodey didn't die, imo the MCU needs a main character death to introduce some stronger stakes. Although if he had died then I would be complaining about how it was shown in the trailer.
Hi Hi Pie
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing The Jungle Book, and it was great!